The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I Didn’t Enjoy It But I’m Pleased We Won For The Newcastle Fans

9:29 am, Monday, May 5th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

There have not been too many times that a Newcastle manager has had to withstand the horrendous abuse that Alan Pardew had to withstand on Saturday from the Newcastle fans, and after being loudly booed and heckled the first two times he went to the touchline, he sent John Carver out from then on.

That was a wise decision.

lan pardew cardiff

Alan Pardew – on the touchline on Saturday

It was a hostile environment to say the very least, and this is some of what the manager has said about his reception by the fans on Saturday:

“I’m not saying it’s something I want or enjoy, because of course I don’t.” “I just feel the situation we have makes it very, very difficult for the media in today’s day and age.”

“We’ve lost half the managers, we might lose three or four more, all I can do is focus on Liverpool and that’s what I’m going to do and I can’t say that I’m happy with the scenario.”

“I’m pleased for our fans, I really am – they might not think that, but I’m genuinely pleased that we’ve won for them – I’m pleased for the players, and I’m pleased for the principles that we’ve stood up for.”

“I look at our season and it’s bizarre really. I see Southampton won again and we’ve won the same amount of games (15), but we haven’t secured enough points when we perhaps got beat and that’s a disappointment for me as manager, I have to say that.”

“But there’s no doubt we were stronger in the first half of the season and we have to focus on that, what we did right and what we didn’t do right in the second half. That comes down to the club, to me, to my coaching staff and we’re going to try and put that right.”

“As for the fans, we have to do our very best to try and win them round. I don’t know any other answer to that.”

We have won 15 league games this season and last season we won 11, but last season we lost 19 and so far this campaign we have lost another massive 18, so a defeat at Liverpool next Sunday, and we will have lost the same number of games as we did last season when we finished 5th bottom.

And that’s the most games we have ever lost in a Premier League season.

And at -15 we have the 5th worst goal difference in the Premier League – last season it was even worse at -23.

But amazingly, even though our results have been terrible this year, if Crystal Palace don’t beat Liverpool at Selhurst Park tonight or don’t win at Fulham next Sunday, we will finish in the top ten, and if Stoke also don’t beat West Brom away next Sunday, we will finish in 9th place.

That’s the amazing thing about this season, and even after the terrible results of this year –  we have only dropped from 6th position after the 5-1 defeat of Stoke,  to potentially 9th place, and that’s after losing 13 of the last 19 league games and gaining only 16 points in those games with five wins and a draw.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 sparky55 // May 5, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I wasn’t there saturday…unfortunately getting more treatment but it’s obvious to me there was enough leaving to make the point. The best part of the day however (from what I saw on the tele) was the absolute barrage of abuse going Pardew’s way. That was the turing point for me…there’s been a few in small numbers having a go for quite a while now…but that was the masses being relentless in their hatred to wards Pardew and that for me marked a sea-change in opinion and voicing it.

absolute magic and I applaud every one of you

• 2 scout // May 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM

He loves playing the old southampton card, remember him saying we cant compete with them. We won the same amount of games so weve done well haha good old Pardew ffs

• 3 Average_Contents // May 5, 2014 at 9:40 AM

The man’s clearly still smarting from losing his job at Southampton because he just seems to bangs on about them at every opportunity! The thing he fails to grasp is the fact that Southampton have played nice football with the same amount of wins but have lost far less and scored far more, whereas we’ve been dire to watch with huge losses and a near record breaking number of losses in one season which he set himself last season! Delusional cretin!

• 4 welshgeordie9 // May 5, 2014 at 9:42 AM

So according to the chronicle pardew wants 3-4 players in the summer, nice one mr muppet.

4 forwards, replace cabaye, 2 wingers, replace the captain and s taylor, if Debuchy goes we need 2 right backs, not to mention if krul and santon goes as well.

3-4 players dear me

• 5 joeinthecheapseats // May 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM

The atmosphere was hostile I think he must know his days are numbered
    It would have been soul destroying for him knowing nearly everyone in the ground were on the same wavelength shame Ashley wasn’t there to have some too
    4 players in will be nowhere good enough and he knows it
    I can see him resigning if this is all Ashley offers him as he won’t want to much more of days like Saturday

• 6 Phil K // May 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM

He wasn’t to blame for selling Cabaye -that was Ashley and that turd Kinnear. He is, however responsible for team selection and play. And that has him DESERVING the abuse. Carver is effing useless too. He’s a non-league coach out of his depth. Much like Pardew’s a third rate manager out of HIS depth

• 7 jimiley // May 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM

STAY AWAY.

• 8 Greebol1892 // May 5, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Tired of this prize-winning bullsh!tter and the fat controller. Our gobshite headbutting manager just can’t shut up and keep a low profile….
    First time I’ve missed 2 games on the trot in 25 years.
    Just can’t bear anymore of this ‘football’ with a reasonable squad of players on mega wages but devoid of leadership & passion under a hapless, clueless manager…. it’s just winding me up too much.
    I am utterly enraged that Strolla has fulfilled my prophecy and become our 1st choice striker! FFS!!! Enough is enough.
    What also has me dumbfounded is Pardew’s undeterred stoic persistence to play players out of position and not to their strengths. He’s clearly lost the players since the headbutt.
    I could nut the bloke for his handling of Yanga Mbiwa…..
    So I will keep my money thank you very much Mr Fatley. ASHLEY OUT! then PARDEW OUT!

and I won’t be watching the match vs Liverpool either…. another Premiership record is in line to be broken…. could be double-figures.
    Be very scared.

NUFC FOREVER.

• 9 Mickalonius // May 5, 2014 at 10:11 AM

What do you expect ? Pardew has not been backed in transfer window and I don’t buy team selection. Anyone who believes Marveaux or HBA should be in team have not been watching the games I’ve seen, both useless. Take away Cabaye and we of course began to struggle. I am sick and tired of seeing managers coming and going, I say give Pardew another season.

• 10 Tsunki // May 5, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Mr Percentage. How encouraging. Just what Ashley ordered, an ever present mundane plodder who keeps us floating in the middle of nowhere on a shoestring while the revenue pours in.

• 11 bigiffius // May 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Why the F does any toon fan want Moyes as manager?! If he is the new boss, I will never go to another game again!!

• 12 tynesidetommo // May 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I’m with you on that Mickalonious. The problem is not Pards – though he really doesn’t help his own cause – but Ashley. He has not backed any of his managers. That’s the crux of the matter.
    If you think Pards is bad then cast yer mind back to the days of Graham Souness. The day Bobby was fired was the day the rot set in. Ashley has simply accelerated it.

• 13 lochinvar // May 5, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Let’s not forget that JFK apparently sold Cabs for £5m less than was expected so that’s equivalent to buying in one less player for next season. What became of JFK – can’t think I’ve seen or heard anything but then again he will probably have received a mega payoff for his silence.

• 14 Sav // May 5, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Pardew has been treated like crap and fans are joining in giving him a kicking. Not allowed sign players, had JFK the biggest nut-case in football plonked on his back and then sacked after selling Pardew’s best player. His partnership with Llambias is broken and at the same time, he has that stiff-laced functionary Wendy the PR girl who only manages to antagonise the press and Pardew is left to apologise for everything from lack of signings to the club’s ‘survival first and last’ policy, neither of which are his bidding.
    The man is far from blameless but the headbutt incident is certainly a result of pressure. I’m not an apologist for Pardew but I think he’s the wrong target. Mashley isn’t going to replace him (who would want to?) so there has to be some slack cut.

• 15 toonaus // May 6, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Yes we won but it wasn’t bittersweet since Cardiff hardly came out fighting for survival. Newcastle were lucky that Cardiff didn’t bring their A Game.

The win really mean’t nothing can’t really say that I was jumping for joy when I watched the game the only thing about the game was feeling sad that Remy has played one of his last game for the toons.

previous post: Pardew – Getting Win Was Important – Environment Didn’t Help