The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Local Lad Could Leave Newcastle In The Summer

2:53 pm, Tuesday, May 6th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

With the good news today that Fabricio Coloccini will be staying at Newcastle ate least for next season, and Mike Williamson having been in good form this season, that’s the number one center-back pairing for next season, and we think that Newcastle will also keep local lad Steven Taylor in their ranks for next season, but with two years left on his contract Newcastle could potentially let him move on – if they got a decent offer for the 27 year-old.

Rangers v Newcastle United - Pre Season Friendly

Steven Taylor – could leave Newcastle

Steven had a bad start to the season at Manchester City, and he didn’t recover after being sent off just before half time in that terrible opening game of the season, and he was banned for three games.

He never regained his first team starting place, and then Mike Williamson came into the side  at half time at Everton, and he’s been the starting center-back since that time.

Steven did score his 14th goal of his career for Newcastle against Cardiff on Saturday, and that win will see us at least finish in 10th place – given Crystal Palace drew against Liverpool last night – so Alan Pardew, the players and some of the staff will get their bonuses for this year.

But that’s been because of the first 18 games of the season when we amassed an impressive 33 points, but since then we have only 16 points in the last 19 league games – not too good at all. :(

This is what Steven has said today:

“We just wanted to go out there and win the game and we could not let other matters affect us.” “I thought the lads stuck to the game plan. I know the fans wanted it moved forward more but I thought it was a winning performance.”

“Sometimes in recent weeks, we’ve been trying that one extra pass which we don’t really need.”  “The players just wanted to get that win. In the last couple of weeks, we have been playing some good football but have been struggling to score goals.”

“And things haven’t gone well for us, hitting the bar, the post, whatever. But against Cardiff, everything just fell right for us. From defense through midfield to the strikers, it all worked for us.”

“I don’t think the demonstrations affected the players, although I thought the fans looked a bit nervous. but for us we targeted a few things with Cardiff and stuck to our game plan, concentrated on that and tried to kill the game dead when sometimes the fans wanted us to attack a bit more.”

“But we just had to make sure we got the three points and keep a clean sheet which was vitally important.”  “Everyone inside that dressing room was happy. We got the three points and we’ve been trying to do that for weeks now and we haven’t managed it but I thought everyone stuck together.”

“Hopefully, next season, we will bounce up and get even better.”  “I’m under contract for another couple of years. It’s been a frustrating season for me – that Man City game killed me,  but I am looking forward to Liverpool game and then kick on next season.”

Steven did start his career way back as a striker, and whenever he does score – he goes crazy – like most strikers so who just love to score goals.

With Colo and Williamson as the preferred center-backs, maybe Newcastle can bring in a good young center-back in the summer – like Steven Caulker of Cardiff City – but news recently that Tottenham could try to sign their former defender in the summer.

And we’re not sure what Newcastle will do with Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, who has had a difficult time of it since signing on from Montpellier a year last January.

What do you think?

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Steven Taylor · Transfer News and Rumours

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Black and White with an army lol // May 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM

we can only hope he leaves along with

Collo
    Raylor
    Obertan
    Jonas
    Cisse
    Gosling
    Marv

• 2 Spoof // May 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM

no, that would be a wrong move, without such a good start as we had we would now be reliant upon fighters, Dubuchy, Remy, Sissoko fighters, I have my doubts, Saylor will die for Newcastle, we may well need that next season.

• 3 scottoon // May 6, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Report from last thread…..

It has been a while since I posted. Couldn’t really bear to, such is the state of things.

What I want to say is that I have no love whatsoever for the regime, and wish them gone as much as the next supporter. But what really dismays me is the infighting amongst ourselves over form of protest, or what ought to be done. We need to forget about the things that distinguish us, and remember the thing that unites us. We are all supporters of the Toon. We all have our own reasons for our passion. Some of you were born to it. Some of us (like myself) chose to join the Toon Army. I was born and raised in Canada. I live in Canada. I cant hold a season’s ticket. I made a pilgrimage at Christmas to see the team that I live for. At 50 years old, I was the young bairn that Sir Bobby Robson talks about when he talks about what a club is. Had there been a protest walkout that day, there is no way I could have left. But does that make me less of a supporter?

We have to remember that any form of protest against this regime has an impact. It is the disgust with the regime that unites us, and not how we voice the disgust. It is our love of the Toon that bonds us and yet reading the blog of late you would almost think we are imploding as supporters. It saddens me.

When I walked up the hill towards the park on Boxing Day, and again on the 29th of December it was an absolute dream come true. Those were happy days and seeing all of you fortunate supporters that have the ability to do so week in and week out united in song and in support was breathtaking. Not sure how I would feel if I had taken my family against Cardiff. Sad probably.

Please everyone….save your venom for Ashley and his regime. But stay United. I know I will. I couldn’t change my allegiance any more than I could change my DNA.

HOWAY THE LADS……no matter what.

• 4 curmon // May 6, 2014 at 3:05 PM

If the club had any ambition whatsoever, Williamson would not get near the first team, I have never seen a player so petrified in possession of the ball, hence his six yard passes to a player who is marked or a boot up the field. No idea at all

• 5 Jail for Ashley // May 6, 2014 at 3:06 PM

It’s all up to Mashers now, it’s going to be a fine line in investement enough for mid table, if he undercooks it we’re down, it would be a lot safer to invest for a top six push, but that’s never going to happen.

• 6 Spoof // May 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM

why get rid of Raylor, wtf has he done wrong, not a great player but he always does his best and will battle for us, have you seen that quality this season, I haven’t, what I have seen is primadonners glorifying when we were doing well who have now shrunk when it isn’t going so well.

• 7 nimo // May 6, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Don’t know if that link will work but it’s Jonas responding to someone questioning wether he’s the next manager.
    Weird for Jonas to respond to it and doesn’t seem to say no or laugh it off

• 8 The next Mike Williamson // May 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I still don’t there’s much between him and Willo. Willo has cut out his customary errors and his tendency to hoof it has diminished slightly but he’s still been in a team that has regularly conceded 4 goals at the back and they have a good keeper behind them and Tiote infront, not to mention they play in a defensive minded team. So the blame has to fall at their feet.

Without Colo or Mbiwa (when he plays in his correct position) the other two fall to pieces. But at £90,000 a week is Colo worth it for the mediocre/ shocking performances we’ve had for 2 years?

• 9 theartfuldodger // May 6, 2014 at 3:19 PM

When does the transfer window open ??

• 10 Belfast // May 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Where those people who think we missed Jonas on another planet or what ?

He was bloody terrible for 18 month lol

The fact he can’t get near the norwich team tells you all you need to know.

Get rid he’s shite

• 11 Spoof // May 6, 2014 at 3:24 PM

scottoon, I now send you a bill for the box of tissue’s which I have just used, that was heartfelt bonny lad and much appreiciated, you bleed black and white like all us us, the problem is getting the message through, we have the likes of Rotonda Heights and so forth who are obsessed with Alan Pardew, personally I feel that he has done a great job under the circumstances but now I feel he has lost the dressing room and due to no fault of his own I now feel he should go, but that will never solve the problem will it, Jose Mourinho would fail if as in January we sell our best player to avoid Europa league football which nearly took us down the season prior to this, if the owner is frightened of European football and how it can affect his Sky tv money due to possibly getting relegated then what chance has any manager got.

• 12 Laurent Robert 32 // May 6, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Spoof, under the circumstances he has more than capable players and didn’t have Ashley at his other clubs yet there were still demonstrations to get him and his lying and abysmal football out of the club.

The trend continues here regardless of Ashley.

• 13 sportsdirect // May 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM

if thats the 1st choice defensive pairing then i give up and we r truly gona be in the shit.
    the future should be Yanga and new CB. Colo as club captain but used as squad player.
    Saylor and Williamson would both be listed if it was up to me.

previous post: This Player Could Replace Ben Arfa This Summer