Newcastle Linked With Top Young German Striker

News today that Newcastle manager Alan Pardew will try to recruit 22 year-old 6’3″ Hertha Berlin striker Pierre-Michel Lasogga in the summer, and we certainly need some strikers brought in who can score goals, since the only one we have had this season – Loic Remy – is leaving for a bigger club, when his loan spell ends.

Pierre-Michel Lasogga

Pierre-Michel Lasogga – 22 year-old Hertha Berlin striker

The striker was born in Gladbeck and was at a number of clubs including Wolfsburg, before joining Hertha Berlin in 2010, and he’s been on loan at Hamburg all this season.

Lasogga has scored 13 goals in 21 appearances for Hamburg, which is not a bad record, and the right footed player has played 11 times for the German U21 side with four goals.

He’s played 69 times for Hertha Berlin and scored 24 goals, so he seems to know where the back of the net is.

He’s listed at €9M on transfermarkt.com, which is around £7.4M, so he’s within the range that Newcastle can afford – although that’s an assumption. 😀

He also has two younger brothers, Gian-Luca and Etienne, who both play for the Hertha BSC youth teams, and another interesting piece of news is that his mother is his agent – so it looks like football is a family business.

His mother  Kerstin says her son wants to play in the Premier League:

“Pierre is under contract with Hertha Berlin.” “But those people who know Pierre in person are aware that playing in the English Premiership has always been one of his desires.”

We don’t know much about Lasogga, but his goal-scoring record in Germany is a good one, and with Shola Ameobi, Loic Remy and Luuk de Jong all leaving the club, we may need to bring three strikers in this summer.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Graeme

May 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Well, he has to be an upgrade on Shola! In fact by Shola’s standards the guy is positively prolific.

Dont forget chaps, there is “The Line” to get him over and the price is obviously suspect, given our “Free” transfers tend to cost us between £8 & 10 Million.

• Ancientcoptic

May 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM

“News today that Newcastle manager Alan Pardew will try to recruit 22 year-old 6’3? Hertha Berlin striker Pierre-Michel Lasogga”

This story starts out inaccurate, as most do.

Pardew is not responsible for recruitment or transfers. When a media source does not even know who is recruiting players at Newcastle, how seriously can they be taken regarding targets.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Ancient,

True enough, but altleast we know NUFC will have to invest this window. Only because they are being forced to by the mess they have created with the first team squad.

• Graeme

May 8, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Ancient – every man and his dog knows that the Illustrious Owner has never allowed P45DUE to spend £1 – he simply doesnt trust him. I would think it takes Mr Carr major effort to agree any fee, for any player as FCB will want another discount!!!

• Toon-Prodigy

May 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Pardew has never had the opportunity to build a team of his own.

Any player that has been signed, is not for the for the benefit or the purpose for Pardew to build a decent squad to compete. It hasn’t been a sign of ambition.

It’s to benefit Mike Ashley’s agenda of making money from future sales. Value for money. This is why the squad is so unbalanced and always has been under Pardews Tenure. And one of the reasons we struggle once injuries occur in numbers.

• Graeme

May 8, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Toon – P45DUE knew exactly what he was signing up to when he took the job. Nothing has changed.
    I use the term very loosely but the “manager” should be able to get so much more out of the squad he has – there are a core of “International” quality players; He should be able to change his “tic-tacs” to suit the game in progress; He should be able to bring on substitutes to bolster our position or to counteract a change by the opponents – non of which he seems capable of doing.

He is a man floundering, with no support from his boss, it would be kinder to put him out of his misery!!!

• stan anderson

May 8, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Pardew has never built a team of his own,because he is incapable of doing so,look at his previous man.

• jimmysmith

May 8, 2014 at 11:11 PM

A big thing in Pardews favor is that he knows the job and he has shown that if he’s backed correctly he can do it. The only managers in my lifetime who’ve done a better job as far as I can tell are Robson and Keegan, the first time round. It’s a tough job. If Ashley continues to run it the way he has, then Pardew is probably the percentage option, if he’s willing to back the manager, then Pardew, given his experience, might just be the best option and I think Ashley knows he has asked an awful lot of his manager and that Pardew alone is far from entirely to blame, far from it.

• Graeme

May 8, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Jimmy @ 8, I read what you say. However If P45DUE is the percentage option, how do you justify his complete capitulation from Boxing Day to last Saturday?

He has proved time and time again, that he simply does not have the charisma, the bottle, the skill & ability to turn the talent he has into a cohesive football team.

He may well be a “Nice Guy” he may well be adored by a (small) section of the NUFC fanbase. The bottom line is that he has failed and failed again. He had ONE half decent season, won manager of the year and now we are back in obscurity.

• nightfa11

May 8, 2014 at 11:21 PM

just a question for Ed.. why do u put “top” in front of every player/manager mentioned?

• Jail for Ashley

May 8, 2014 at 11:22 PM

There is no way we have 2343 posters even with Ian Toon and mag, so it looks like we have a lot of multiple voters or people who just can’t be bothered to post.

• Jail for Ashley

May 8, 2014 at 11:29 PM

TP,
    As far as views are concerned you and Graeme are probably the most like minded to me, but what you have to take into account is although that Pardew has been dealt a seriously bum hand the sympathy time is over and he has become indefensible, he so complicit in the whole sorry business that he’s going to have to man up to it soon, if he can’t come out of his dug out he is going to blame us, he’ll blame us on losing for him not being able to come out of his dug out, the whole set up is in a lose lose situation for everyone, including Mashers.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 8, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Graeme,

For me personally, it’s far too easy to say a manager should be getting more from his squad as a whole.

There is alot to take into consideration in regards to that. It’s OK saying we have an abundance of internationals, but what happens when we lose 2-3 of these Internationals? We fall apart.

There is the quality of the second string, in which I personally don’t think measures up anywhere near to the quality of the 1st eleven. Huge difference in quality for me. I cannot expect mediocre players to replace a France international I.E An Ameobi for a Remy, Anita for a Debuchy, or a youngin coming in for that matter like Tavernier.

The problems lye with the quality in depth for me.

That said, he has failed tactically numerous times and he does tow the “Ashley” line which is annoying. I do understand the reason why also though, because he has already shook hands like you say for the job in hand a long time ago.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 8, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Jail,

I absolutely agree 100%. I do not feel any sympathy for Pardew, I just see this whole fiasco as a joint situation where blame is concerned.

It starts at the top and it has worked it’s way all the way down to the players. Everyone takes a cut of blame for me.

• Ian Toon

May 8, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Raj- ” A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes”.

• Jail for Ashley

May 8, 2014 at 11:45 PM

TP,
    Just because me, you and Graeme see it clear as day doesn’t mean ToryDownSarf is right !

• Jail for Ashley

May 8, 2014 at 11:46 PM

carl,
    who said that Mahatma Ghandi ?

• Toon-Prodigy

May 8, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Jimmy,

I agree, Pardew has proven with a fit squad and without his best players being sold from under him, he can push us up that league. Sometimes over achieve.

I think the question is, how high do the rest of the fans expect us to be? And let’s be realistic.

Top 8? Top 6? We know Ashley will not fund a top six assult.

My personal opinion, is with this owner and the lack of ambition, our best league position would be inbetween 6th-8th.

• Jail for Ashley

May 8, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Couldn’t have been, he never used to wear them, it must have been Pushy Pardew !

• jimmysmith

May 8, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Yeah, it’s not just Pardew. You reap what you sew. I wouldn’t mind if he got sacked for his sake to be honest and I’d hope he got generous payout along with it. I don’t think too many are capable of doing it and after three years of it he’s probably better off out of it. He’s very experienced now and I think he’s probably got a far better chance of succeeding in his next job than this one, which would probably be at a decently run club.

• stan anderson

May 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Why do we support the team?
    I want to be proud of my team and its style of play.
    To be able to compete with the best of teams and possibly beat them.
    To maybe reach a cup final and have a memorable day in the capital even if we get beaten.
    At least we could hold our heads up high and say we tried.
    But with this shower running things all we have to look forward to is top 10 position in PL.
    Do we not expect a bit more than that.
    Around 50,000 turn up every home match to watch a 2nd rate manager trying to fool us for his paymaster.
    We deserve a bit better i think,but if people are happy with what they,ve got then thats it really.

• Jail for Ashley

May 8, 2014 at 11:58 PM

TP,
    I gave Pardew the benefit of the doubt when we were shite last season, not because all of the great games we witnessed at SJP that year we finished fifth or because of the great football but because of the team spirit and dogged results we got despite Mashleys hindrance, the year after though when it was proved that the game plan was mid table before it was announced and he constantly backed the regime made the guy go as far down as Souness or Shipman in my estimation.

• Graeme

May 9, 2014 at 12:00 AM

TP @ 13 – I hear what you say and would agree with you, BUT P45DUE quite clearly stated he was “Happy with his squad, probably the strongest he had seen at NUFC in many years.”

If he believes what he spouts, he has absolutely no excuses for the failure he has overseen at NUFC. He may well have been toeing the party line, which just makes him a weak, spineless individual. In fact, very similar to the performances of his previous 2 clubs!!

• Toon-Prodigy

May 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Jail, Graeme,

That is just Pardew towing the Ashley line though isn’t it? Don’t get me wrong it’s annoying as hell, Im so tired of it also, but he is running Ashley’s plans at the end of the day.

Graeme, while you might see Pardew saying he is happy with the squad etc.. This again is him towing the line for me. There is a balance he is trying to achieve with boosting moral in his squad and giving them a belief also. These comments are usually after he has spent weeks upon end shouting for recruitments during transfer windows. It’s important to know his excuses are also for Ashley and the regime as a whole, not just his ability as a football manager.

He has also been shouting for recruitments since he has been here, which we have all witnessed him being hung out to dry by those above.

My serious concerns and problems lye with the regime as a whole. I can’t stand the way NUFC is being run.

I do think Pardew should walk, but he will be here next season and I do think he will finish inbetween 6th – 10th.

We will start this circus all over again and recruit, but just no where near enough to push on past 8th. This is the way I see it panning out.

• jimmysmith

May 9, 2014 at 12:20 AM

I don’t see Pardew as weak at all. Tactically he apparently has weaknesses, as all but a select few do, but generally I see him as compromised but getting on.

I also don’t necessarily see him as complicit either. How is that necessarily so? He’s not the owner. He has a job to do under certain conditions, he accepts it, he doesn’t throw the toys out of the pram. He’s pragmatic I think, and surely shouldn’t be reasonably held to account for every utterance when you know what he’s dealing with.

Even so, shocking season. But if it’s not one thing, it’s another under Ashley.

• Tsunki

May 9, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Well I think that er… well what I mean is that, notwithstanding the clubs position on financial dealings vis-a-vis transfer activity within the confines of, well, you know, what I am trying to say is…….stay clear of rats kids, they give you Weils disease. What was the question?

• Tsunki

May 9, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Felling has a bypass? And I wasn’t informed?

• Tsunki

May 9, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Margarine. Bad for your corduroys.

• Tsunki

May 9, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Just adding a bit of padding, keep it moving everyone I can’t do this on my own 🙂

• stan anderson

May 9, 2014 at 12:31 AM

Pardew plays Shola whenever he can,
    Am i wrong but he is the worst excuse for a striker i have ever seen.I have seen some some crap in my time as well.
    Go back to late 50s and we,ve had some bad uns like.
    T many to mention,but Shola takes the biscuit because he has lasted more than 1 season with us.About 14 is it.

• jimmysmith

May 9, 2014 at 12:35 AM

The easiest solution to the problem is for the club to ship out six duds and bring in six decent replacements. We did it a year and a half ago, do it again we are back up and running, and why not? The manager and players and fans have all been calling for it all season. It’s Ashley who hasn’t sanctioned it, but now the money is there. No excuses, nothing to hide behind anymore.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 9, 2014 at 12:43 AM

Jimmy,

I agree with all of that. Im no Pardew fan and I have no sympathy for him at all either. I just see a man who is getting on with his job as best he can under the constraints he has. He is doing the job that has been set-up for him and what has been asked of him and which he signed up for.

But at the end of it all, It’s Ashley’s plan and he sets the target as to where ambition is concerned.

I often wonder what we could achieve under a different manager in regards to league placings and the quality of football on show. I always come to the conclusion though that it would be very little, if anything at all.

All of the policies and structures would remain. As would the problems.

Along with another mediocre yes man to tow the Ashley line.

If Ashley were to come out tomorrow and say “Reet! We are going all out for a top six assault”. I’d want Pardew out tomorrow. No doubt about it.

Sadly, Everton and Southampton are our competition now and that is all. And I do think next season Pardew will have the players at his disposal to compete with them.

• the truth will out

May 9, 2014 at 6:14 AM

we shall not sleep till they are gone

• Santon03

May 9, 2014 at 6:19 AM

I still want, hope, dream that NUFC can hijack or get Vincenzo Montella as manager (hopefully soon).

He fits perfectly with NUFC character and policy.
    He made his own transfer budget by selling 17 players and bought cheap players except Mario Gomez. He plays attacking and attacking football as well as give the team never say die attitude.
    One of the evidence of his great management is when they were playing against Juventus (the best team in Serie A), they were 2-0 down until 83mins and Fiorentina ended up winning 4-2. Juve had very strong line up even against the best in the world.
    Given 0 transfer budget, finishing 4th is not bad at all.

• Santon03

May 9, 2014 at 6:21 AM

He plays attacking and attractive football*

• Santon03

May 9, 2014 at 6:21 AM

damn autocomplete

• the truth will out

May 9, 2014 at 6:23 AM

what we need is an auto-complete management set-up

• Santon03

May 9, 2014 at 6:24 AM

I wonder what will happen if pardew given the same team as Juventus. He could be saying his team isn’t good enough to compete with the top teams.

• Toon-Prodigy

May 9, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Santon,

If Ashley was the owner he would have to, well, if he wanted to keep his job that is 😉

• Average_Contents

May 9, 2014 at 6:44 AM

As if we don’t have enough problems to contend with come Sunday, Phil “the world revolves around me” dowd is the ref! God help our players if they try to engage with him as he seems to think they are small, petulant children who should not dare question his authoritiiii! Hate the tit!