The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew – It Wasn’t That Bad

10:52 am, Friday, May 9th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 189 Comments

Alan Pardew could well be managing his final game for Newcastle at Liverpool on Sunday in the final game of the season, and we just hope we can end the season on a positive note and get a result.

john carver alana pardew

John Carver and Alan Pardew discuss tactics on Saturday

Is that too much to ask?

Yes, probably.

This is what Alan told the Shields Gazette today:

“I’ve got to apologize for the six games that went before Cardiff.” “At least, we’ve put it to an end. It’s not cured the situation, but we’ve stopped a difficult period.”

A question at the end of those comments – how and when did we prove it wasn’t that bad?

Certainly not against Cardiff City on Saturday – we were awful in that second half and a better side would have taken advantage – but Cardiff demonstrated why they are going down to the Championship – by missing their chances to score.

Maybe Alan is trying out some of the lines he will use when he meets with Mike Ashley and the Newcastle Board early next week, as they review the season, and presumably Mike Ashley decides Alan’s fate, and whether he stays on as Newcastle manager.

It’s simply been a nightmare for Newcastle fans since Boxing Day, but we could still finish in 9th place in the league, and if that happens it could be that Pardew even keeps his job, especially since the owner sold our best player in January.

But news today in L’Equipe that Newcastle are looking at St. Etienne manager Christophe Galtier, but he’s largely an unknown quantity, and the few French managers – apart from Arsenal great Arsene Wenger of course – who have tried their luck in the Premier League, have not been too successful.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

189 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // May 9, 2014 at 10:56 AM

REpost,
    Is it not best to buy LDJ now before his value soars during the WC, oh hang on a minute, he’ll be watching it at home, best sign Shola instead before his value rockets, I can imagine Pardew now, explaining how he couldn’t get Shola over the line after his 17 mins in the group stages.
    TDSarf,
    It was an average season ? It was a complete implosion, what do I expect you ask, for starters for it at least look like we’re trying to win something.

• 2 Blofal // May 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM

LDJ was played more as a CAM and asked to drop back and help the midfield so I am not surprised he didn’t score. He seems to me a decent holding striker though and I would snap him up if the price is right. I can see him forming a good partnership up front under another manager.

• 3 Ciaran // May 9, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Morning folks,

Just letting you fine folk know that NUST are holding a comedy night in the Stand comedy club in support of JUST – the junior trust. This is a most worthwhile cause as it helps support junior coaching in the area. Tickets are £10 and it promises to be a really entertaining night.

For information about buying tickets simply check out NUST website nust.org.uk

Alternatively, if you want the personal approach, you can e-mail me and I can personally hand deliver them in town! My e-mail address is ciaran.donaghy@nust.org.uk

:D

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Lilongwe

I don’t know why the PL would object. I’m sure they can choose whether to enter a B team or not. Although maybe some of the more honourable people will object as it will seriously hurt teams in the lower leagues.

This is just one part of the proposal that’s being highlighted and that’s unfair really. The idea is part of the overall strategy to give young English players more opportunity to play actual first team football, nothing wrong with that is there?

How is this a plaster for a short term fix? It’s not due to come in until 2017 and he’s admitted it will be for targeting the 2022 World Cup. There are lots of suggestions in the report that should benefit the England team.

• 5 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM

JfA

I didn’t call it an average season. Did you actually read my post??

I asked what you think would have made an average season this year. Do tell.

• 6 Mister Tuff // May 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Percys’ spouting of “it wasn’t that bad” – takes my breath away. He certainly does spout some rubbish. His attempt to put a positive spin on things must be legendary now.

As far as de Jong goes – please don’t sign him -he will never make it in the PL. Those who think he will need to change their game -pronto – ladies rugby or netball I suggest.

• 7 Graeme // May 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM

TDS – What would constitute a “Good” season depends on your starting point. At the start of this season, based on the previous fiasco, a “Top 10? would have been a fair ask.

However, we played far better than expected, performed better than anticipated and as a result we were sitting comfortably in 6th, pressing the teams above us and pushing for a place in Europe perhaps.

Then the wheels fell off when we reached “Safety” – the FA & League cups were sidestepped – then Cabaye was sold, which they had known was going to happen but chose to do nothing about it.

From 6th place we should have maintained a challenge, kept up the level of performance achieved and see how far we could go. Instead, we switched off, gave up the pretence and settled back for “Mid-Table Mediocrity” with all signs of ambition, competitive football killed off, the stuffing knocked out of the squad by selling Cabaye and making no real effort to replace him.

This team, with ambition, could well have maintened a decent run of points and should have done. It is the consequences of the abject capitulation; the clear lack of effort that has brought the conflict that P45DUE is now facing – and deservedly so.

• 8 Munster Mag // May 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Darnsarf, I totally agree with you. All we can really hope for without proper funding iw to move up maybe two places. We have to give far great commitment to the cups though. Apart from that I agree with you. Without serious investment though we are goosed. These players have shown demonstrably that they have little love for a fight when things go wrong, and thats a serious issue for me.

• 9 Munster Mag // May 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Anyway shut up you thick geordies. Go to southampton and get educated !! :)

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 11:19 AM

TDS,
    It is short term because it is aiming at the professional game, when the malaise sets in at a much lower level. They should be concentrating on fixing the issues with the game at the very early stages.

Just cause more English players are getting a game doesn’t mean they will be better. It means that the product that the Premier league is selling is devalued and that means less income for clubs and the Premier league. If these kids are good enough they will get games, be it on loan, or in the first team. By creating a league especially for these players that may or may not make it at first team level we are just going to end up with similar calibre players as we would if they went on loan or came through the ranks of a lower league club.

Now, improve the quality of players joining clubs by improving coaching standards from bairns through to academies, and you will have a better standard of player coming through. An example of this is Belgium, who began the revamp of their coaching and youth football methods nearly 15 years ago now. The result is that they currently boast some excellent players, and have more coming through the system.

• 11 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Graeme

I will continue to dispute that we didn’t go for the cups. The teams that we put our were not far off full strength but we did rotate our squad for the cups like every single other team did. This isn’t unique to NUFC so I think that’s very unfair to say we didn’t go for them. Look at the teams we put out.

I agree with you on the second half of the season though, Cabaye was sold and the wheels fell off…no creativity and no plan B from Pardew…

I’d like him to be replaced but I still don’t see how this season as a whole was that much worse than the average we could expect.

• 12 mindshaft // May 9, 2014 at 11:23 AM

3-0 against Cardiff flattered us and they were well in the game until the 2nd goal went in on 87 mins – in fact they were all over us in the 2nd half up to that point so I’m not sure how Pards can say we played well.
    Dread to think what the score will be on Sat, I hope we keep it to single figures

• 13 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Munster Mag

That comes from the top doesn’t it? One reason I think a change of manager will shake them up a bit.

We could do it without serious investment but then we need extremely good management at all levels for an extended period of time. Arsenal managed it, Liverpool have done it for decades and Spurs and Everton have been doing it for about the last 10 years too.

There are only 3 ways to the CL places:
    1 – MASSIVE investment as you say
    2 – Exceptional management at all levels
    3 – Outstanding season and a lot of luck

We nearly got the latter a couple of seasons ago…and I think that raised the expectations of some fans that we’re better than we really are…

• 14 Jail for Ashley // May 9, 2014 at 11:27 AM

TDSarf,
    An average season would, I suppose consist of a run of very average results routinely throughout the season with an average cup run, not two polar opposites and early exits from the cups, a good season even if we had of finished eighth would have seen us at least within in a chance of finishing top six right up until the death and even an FA cup quarter final where upon exiting at least looking like we’d given it a go in an exciting match.
    We gave City a good game but that is long forgotten and doesn’t erase the memories of all our other cup humiliations.

• 15 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Lilongwe

I agree with you on the coaching and I’ve been saying the same thing for years. But I still think having 18 and 19 year olds getting PL level coaching but playing regular first team football is a good thing for them. Some PL clubs have good quality 22 year olds who have barely played a first team game.

Not all PL clubs want to send players out on loan to a lower league club with poor facilities and coaching. Sometimes they want to keep them under their wing.

I don’t understand why you’re shooting down something that will be good for young English players. Just because it doesn’t fix everything, doesn’t mean that it can’t be part of the solution.

• 16 Rotonda heights // May 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I really like the sound of this guy. Team didn’t fall apart when they sold P.E.A and he plays attacking a football. What’s not to like

The 47-year-old has been in charge at Saint-Etienne for five seasons, winning the French League Cup last term and incredibly guided his side to fourth in Ligue 1 this year, requiring just a point to ensure Champions League qualification, despite the sale of star striker Pierre Aubameyang.

With a penchant for free-flowing, attacking football and a well-organised defence Galtier, who is also interesting Aston Villa, seems to be the perfect candidate to take over at Newcastle should Ashley dispense with Pardew during the summer

• 17 Rotonda heights // May 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM

attacking football, not attacking a football!

• 18 Rotonda heights // May 9, 2014 at 11:31 AM

TDS

I think PL B teams in league 1 would be excellent. Don’t get the lower league clubs problems as the Beams can’t get promoted so what’s their beef?

If it’s good enough for Spain…..

• 19 Jail for Ashley // May 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM

“I’ve got to apologize for the six games that went before Cardiff.”
    What about all the other matches, I was at the Palace match, it was painful and apparently the Villa game was just as bad, does he believe what he tells him self, he is going to wish he was never born come next season.

• 20 Rotonda heights // May 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM

B teams even

• 21 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // May 9, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I am truly truly sick to death of this guy. Please acknowledge the form since Christmas Pardew! For God’s sake, stop palming it off as the last 6 games. He’s an absolute wretch of an individual.
    Also from previous thread, trying to sign De Jong stinks of our desperation to sign players. He is nowhere near good enough for this level, he hasn’t got the attributes not a case being unlucky. I’ll be extremely disappointed if that goes through.

• 22 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 11:33 AM

JfA

We’ve only been in 2 cups this year…and as you say, we gave City a damn good game.

I know the 2nd half of the season has been dire (and the reason I want Pardew to go), but if I tossed 5 heads in a row and then 5 tails in a row, it would still be average. We possibly overachieved in the first half of the season and then severely underachieved in the second half of the season. Overall, I’d say we’re just under average.

Our cup performance has been dire for years and that’s sad but I still don’t think things are as bad as some fans make out.

Let’s say average was:
    8th place with 55 points
    FA Cup 5th round
    League Cup Quarter Final
    1 win/1 loss against the dirty mackems

In fact, I’d have been pretty happy with that so maybe it’s above the average that I expected…

• 23 Rotonda heights // May 9, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Jail

I lost count of the actual stats but wasn’t it something like 13 out of 18 games lost prior to Cardiff and not scored in 14 out of 18 or something like that.

• 24 Rotonda heights // May 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM

TDS

What a lot of people don’t get is that it’s got to the point where the results are almost secondary, we’re just so desperate to see some free flowing attacking and exciting football, not this endless ”containing” drivel.

• 25 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Rotonda

Because it would push lots of other clubs down the ladder effectively. The 50th ranked club in the football league pyramid suddenly becomes the 60th ranked club or worse. Some sponsors would go for the Arsenal B team rather than Leyton Orient and some fans would go to see B team matches rather than their local lower league A team. Also there would be fewer PL young players available to be loaned by lower league teams.

There are absolutely no benefits to lower league teams.

It works in Spain because they’ve been doing it for a long time and their system is already heavily biased towards the top clubs.

In our country we have teams like Hull, Wigan and Fulham who rose through the divisions to the top and actually manage to stay up I don’t think that happens so much abroad.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // May 9, 2014 at 11:38 AM

TDSarf,
    Interpret how you want with the law of averages, it was a dire season, what’s all that about two cups, I am fully aware we were only in two cups, I’m not stupid I worked in Southampton once.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // May 9, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Rotonda,
    What’s that stat about from allof our 3-0 or more hidings Pardew has seen most of them.

• 28 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Rotonda

I 100% cannot argue with you there. That’s exactly the kind of thing I wish fans would join together and campaign for. I’m bored of the “Ashley out” cr*p, but I’d 100% support a campaign demanding more attractive football. We should put pressure on the owner to doing the right things for NUFC and its fans.

• 29 Jail for Ashley // May 9, 2014 at 11:41 AM

TDSarf,
    If we had more attractive football and some ambition shown there wouldn’t be any Ashley out crap.

• 30 Munster Mag // May 9, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Rotunda, we know little about this guy in fairness. If he wasnt french we wouldnt care, and we may be leaving the french model anyway ( an error IMO ) . Whats hjis level of english like?? I dont want to sound like a little englander ( I’m irish after all ) but not many get away with that, bar Pottecino

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

TDS,
    You assume that the B team will have the same standard of coaching as the first team when you say Premier league coaching. That is highly unlikely to be the case as essentially it would require 2 different sets of staff coaching 2 different sets of players. It would just mean that current reserve team coaches would become B team coaches.

If the young players are good enough they wouldn’t be going on loan to poor sides with poor coaching set ups. The top youngsters, the ones that may benefit rom this get loans to decent clubs anyway. There is very little to say that English players would be the beneficiary. There would likely be huge numbers of foreign players in the B team.

I’m shooting it down because it is ill thought through and unlikely to work. The development league was meant to solve these exact same problems of player development and increase the number of English youngsters at the top level. It won’t work until we start from the right point, which is upping coaching standards and the way the game is played at the youngest level.

• 32 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

JfA

You must have learned your grammar in Southampton, clearly you can’t have been educated in Newcastle… ;-)

We were closely beaten by a very good City side but our team on the day was virtually full strength and they have a fantastic squad. Cardiff we definitely should have beaten.

But it wasn’t a dire season then. What would you say last season was or the season we were relegated? What about the season we finished 5th. I think too many Newcastle fans are either boom or bust…there isn’t much inbetween…

• 33 Mister Tuff // May 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Percy………………………………………………………….OUT
    Tubbs………………………………………………………..OUT
    Mischievous leprechauns………………………….OUT

• 34 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Lilongwe

They would have access to the same facilities as the first team most likely and the club who owns the players has control over the coaches and the coaching. They can also be influenced by first team coaches and the first team manager too.

Upping coaching standards is correct, but I don’t see why this B team league can’t add value to the overall proposal.

I still think it won’t get approved because of the objections from lower league teams.

There can only be 11 players on the pitch for a PL team so surely it’s good to give as many opportunities for young players to prove themselves in a competitive environment. Haven’t you seen the calls for our young players to get first team football? Surely you could see the benefit of allowing them to play League One football with their NUFC team mates while maintaining ownership so we can better monitor their progress and expose them to higher level coaching sometimes.

• 35 mag // May 9, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Jail your production of rubbish and various effluent is on a industrial scale.

• 36 Rotonda heights // May 9, 2014 at 11:49 AM

ed

How many french managers in EPL have there been in fairness? I can only really think of Wenger and Houllier and they have both done pretty well.

• 37 Rotonda heights // May 9, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Munster

that’s the point he wouldn’t have to, it’s virtually a french squad

• 38 Jail for Ashley // May 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM

TDSarf,
    This season was dire, last season was really dire.

• 39 stuart no9 // May 9, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Another stupid comment from pardew _ sack him now.

• 40 Rotonda heights // May 9, 2014 at 11:56 AM

jail

lost count on that too!! from a man who spends 4 days out of 5 coaching defense!!

• 41 Our Toon // May 9, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I think the B teams is an excellent idea, especially for the kids the ones that don’t make the grade will be sold to teams in the lower leagues and this will improve there standard of football as well.

TDS

This season has been below than average mate, this year Spurs have struggled, Man Utd have struggled yet we find ourselves below them. We should have been at least 2 places higher. The Cabaye card gets played far too often….this is 1 player, we have other creative players at the club whether we like them or not (HBA, Marv) they would have created more chances if given the opportunity to express themselves. Don’t forget we had a shocking season last year and Marv was top in the assist charts for us.

You think we did well against Citeh in the cup….I beg to differ, this is a game we should have won, Citeh played a weakened team as the wanted to concentrate on CL etc. it begs the question why we choose to drop HBA (who created the best chance of the game for Cisse when coming off the bench) we played an under strength team and in this instance we shouldn’t have. I’m all for rotation and rotating against inferior opposition yes, but fast forward to the Scum, they gave Citeh 3 good games this season winning 1, drawing 1 and losing 1 (final) that’s giving it a good go, we failed to score against Citeh in all 3 games losing 0-4, 0-2 & 0-2

No cup runs, relegation form, all the wrong records broken with the exception of winning at OT….to me this constitutes as a bad season. Finishing 9th possibly but more realistically we may end up 10th. This squad should be top 8 at the very least!!

We’ve scored 42 goals and conceded 57, we’ve played the worst football out of any team in the league this year!!

• 42 Novocastrian66 // May 9, 2014 at 11:58 AM

We have lost 9 games by 3 goals or more, with Liverpool to come there is a good chance that will be 10. We never come from behind to win and rarely scrape a point from a losing position.
    Pardew cannot change tack when in a difficult situation to get a result.
    A mitigating factor could be the lack of options from the bench, however there isn’t any excuse for a lack of effort.
    The fact he was sitting in the stands was his fault. He cannot motivate the team when the game is going against them.
    He has had his chance; time to move on.

• 43 theartfuldodger // May 9, 2014 at 12:03 PM

How about judging the season based in whats left at the club…

No cabaye No remy No goals Losses galore
    Pardew still here speaking crap. Still unable to play proper football…

You can look at the modest points tally and say average season…but the damaging effect will last for many more…

• 44 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 12:03 PM

TDS,
    It would be two distinct squads, with two distinct coaching set ups. There would be no increase in overlap from the two. Players wouldn’t move between the squads, it would have to be governed by the same rules for clubs, as it is in other countries.

Would NUFC, for example, pay to have enough Premier league standard coaches (and squads) to oversee a B team, given that we already struggle to have a set of coaches good enough, and the squad is painfully thin in places.

The thing that is missed off in this is that Germany and Spain already have the coaching set up at a young age, and already focus on technique and possession rather than winning up until 14-16. That is why they produce better players, not because they have B teams.

Toni Kroos, for example, played 13 games for Bayern’s B team. But because he was good enough, went on loan. Lahm did the same.

• 45 Tsunki // May 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM

According to the Daily Pards in other news, WWII Wasn’t that bad, we still have to land on the moon and the Berlin Wall looks like it is there for the duration..

• 46 theartfuldodger // May 9, 2014 at 12:06 PM

De Jong may be here just to make up the numbers…pathetic…

• 47 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Our Toon

I did say this season has been below average…please don’t rely on how others have interpreted my words…

We should not necessarily have finished above Spurs and Man Utd just because they haven’t had great seasons either. Spurs have only slightly underperformed and Man Utd are a great team who have grossly underperformed but could still snatch 6th.

You see…thinking we should have finished above Man Utd is the kind of talk I mean. We need them to have a very poor season (which they did) AND for us to have a very good season (which we did not) to do that.

I give this season 4/10. Last season was 2/10. So Pardew should be sacked in my view

• 48 Our Toon // May 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Munster Mag

The majority of nations around the world teach English and to a better standard than what we speak at times, a lot of “foreigners” speak english, some at an advanced level and some basic, lets not assume he doesn’t speak English….for the record Pochettino has very good command of English he refuses to speak in English to the press though as he believes the media twist things that managers say!!

• 49 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM

TDS,
    I’m sure it will offer some small benefit, but they set up a commission and said they were serious to solve the problems. This doesn’t do that but will offer short term respite from the issues.

That is my main quibble. If they want to do it, do it properly, rather than playing around. If you are going to do a job, do it properly.

• 50 theartfuldodger // May 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Without Cabaye and Remy Pardew is gonna get us relegated next season..

Isnt that realization not enough to call this season dire…

Pardews not going anywhere and his rubbish defensive tactics are staying..so how exactly are we gonna get a cabaye and remy without spending…Answer is LUCK…

• 51 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Good old Tskunki and his daily offering of pointless utterance.

• 52 Ancientcoptic // May 9, 2014 at 12:23 PM

““We had winning momentum in November,” “But when momentum goes the other way, it can make you look worse than you are, which I think it did. It wasn’t that bad. We proved that.”

We were winning a few games in NOVEMBER 2013, but by getting a LUCKY win against Cardiff in MAY of the next calendar year, Pardew has proved it wasn’t that bad.

What is wrong with Pardew?

The first half of next season is going to see us switch roles with Sunderland from the previous season. Only we are unlikely to pull off a great escape.

• 53 Graeme // May 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM

On a lighter note –

America are sending a crack unit to Nigeria to find the kidnapped girls. Britain is sending Stuart Hall, Rolf Harris, Max Clifford and Dave Lee Travis!!!

• 54 Belfast // May 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Hopefully west ham get rid of fatty and want Pardew back.

That’s the only way I see him leaving tbh.

• 55 Black and White with an army lol // May 9, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I would sign LDJ only if the price is right, maybe 2 million? his wages are relatively low around 20-27k a week and it’s lower than Saylor, Marv & Jonas who are on over 35+k a week.

lets face it Shola is on about 20-30k a week and he fully doesn’t deserve this much

• 56 cyprus // May 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Looks like a 4-2-3-1 on his pad. All has been revealed.

On LDJ, an offer of a couple mil. would be enough, at least from what I saw. Unlike Cisse, he didn’t set the PL alight.

• 57 Mister Tuff // May 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Couple of our resident Pearly Kings seem to up and about early today – spouting insults and dreaming of their Cockney homeland.

• 58 mag // May 9, 2014 at 12:29 PM

If they are signing De Jong, then Pardew must be staying put.

• 59 mag // May 9, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Tuff how is cockney land today, me owld cock sparra?

• 60 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Mister tuff the blog berk!

• 61 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Oops burk!

• 62 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 12:34 PM

On LDJ, he is settling in to a woefully under performing side, which has looked like it went on holiday at Christmas and never came back. He was never a natural goalscorer, even in Holland he didn’t exactly set the league alight with his goals. He is far more of a second striker. On that basis, I would give him a chance next season with a mobile goalscorer playing off him. I doubt he will ever get 10 goals in a Prem season, but he could offer an alternative in style and set up to a game.

However, if the agreed price is a non negotiable £8million, I’d be more than happy to look elsewhere for a striker of a similar ilk. Eren Derdiyok has been awful in the last 2 years, and I’d imagine would be available at a reasonable fee or on loan. Again, not a prolific goalscorer, but would give options, and I think could fit in to the Premier league. Would not be high on my wish list, but I am trying to look at players who will be available with a point to prove which is what we are likely to be after.

• 63 Ancientcoptic // May 9, 2014 at 12:35 PM

LDJ is a striker that cannot ‘strike’ the ball.

Perfect to carry on the Shola Ameobi legacy when you think about it… he has all the attributes: tall, leggy, slow, not bad in the air, slow on the turn, inaccurate/weak strike and the urgency of a slug.

• 64 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Pardew must have the final say on De Jong, joining the club so Pardews job must be safe.

• 65 Jail for Ashley // May 9, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Lil,
    ‘Eren Derdiyok has been awful in the last 2 years, and I’d imagine would be available at a reasonable fee or on loan’
    That sums us up.

• 66 Malta Mag // May 9, 2014 at 12:43 PM

This debate on LDJ is interesting as it reminds me of certain players like Perch and Williamson who were slaughtered on here yet eventually proved their worth when given their chance. Now I’m not saying LDJ is the answer but as it is with Gosling at present, I think it is totally ridiculous for us as supporters to slam the bloke when to be fair he hasn’t been given the right opportunity. He’s been in a withdrawn position for most of the time and not as an out and out striker. His first touch looks more than decent and if Pardew was to stay on which I’ve a horrible feeling he will be asked to do, then he seems to prefer the big target man with someone in and around him to pick up the pieces? If LDJ is being looked on as a long time replacement for Shola then at the right price he may be worth a punt? Let’s be honest after Shola even the bloke who sells the evening chronicle outside Eldon square is a step in the right direction if he was asked to pull on the shirt!!!!!

• 67 Tsunki // May 9, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Guvnor and validator one and the same both focus on me with the same ‘funny’ variation of Tskunki – one and the same idiot troll. And ironically calling out others for making pointless contributions. A sad individual.

• 68 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Rotonda,
    There haven’t been many other French managers in the Prem but none of the others were around that long as they were pretty awful at the clubs, with the possible exception of 1.

Perrin at Pompey, Santini at Spurs were poor. Tigana at Fulham was average at best.

Still could this bloke be worse than Pardew? Unlikely.

• 69 Belfast // May 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM

You tell them skunki.

Scallywags

• 70 Jail for Ashley // May 9, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Tsunki,
    When I called them out for having the same IP address, which I didn’t know actually, they claimed to be a father and son double act, what a weird incestuous household that must be.

• 71 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Jail,

Ha, yeah, sorry state of affairs all round, but that is what we have so I’d rather focus on that than fantasise about world beaters arriving at the minute as we know there is virtually zero chance of that happening. To be fair to the lad, he fell out with a new manager, and has never really recovered, and he was on our list when he moved a couple of years ago, so he is a distinct possibility.

• 72 theartfuldodger // May 9, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Lil,

As long as Pardew is there , De Jong will never do well..he cannot score from nothing..
    Without Pardew, he has a small chance..

They might sign him to make up the numbers…cause they know they cant get 4 strikers..

• 73 Belfast // May 9, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Jail for Ashley // May 9, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Haha

Poor skunki being trolled by a father and son :)

• 74 Tsunki // May 9, 2014 at 12:52 PM

If it wasn’t for fine upstanding bloggers like you belfast this place would be awash with trolls, wum’s and ne’er-do-wells……..oh………wait…..

• 75 Tsunki // May 9, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Jail – never! Ha ha man that is sad mind you it takes some courage to continue trolling on here with everyone knowing that. Dear oh dear it takes all sorts.

• 76 terencelim // May 9, 2014 at 12:55 PM

@ToonDarnSarf, Yeah you said everything from A-Z so everything is right. Ya a well known politician in this blog, but a loser in real world.

• 77 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Artful,
    When Pardew spoke of him in the media after signing him, he claimed the lad was a natural goalscorer and that set him up to fail when watched by fans who knew little of his past. Like I said, he won’t score a lot ever, because he isn’t and never has been a natural goalscorer. But he can offer a decent amount to team play and create chances for a goalscorer either a poacher or a mobile one.

A few million tops for the lad.

• 78 Himanshu Dhingra // May 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM

We have played some of the most worst football in last 18 games, Blame LDJ.

Its a joke.

• 79 Tsunki // May 9, 2014 at 12:57 PM

On De Jong, I remember that quite a few rated him before he decided to sidestep us. He’s not that flash by all appearances but I do agree he’s had the worst way to start in a team. Maybe he will turn out to be a cut price bargain addition to bolster a new forward line. If he’s cheap enough he’s probably worth a punt as a backup.

• 80 Belfast // May 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM

You do seem to be attracting a lot of the trolls these days skunki. It was only a matter of time tbh.

They can smell the fear from you

• 81 spitfire_ // May 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Cisse out for monts…

• 82 spitfire_ // May 9, 2014 at 1:02 PM

*months

• 83 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I’ve just read that Galtier worked with Perrin for a year at Pompey, so he has, albeit a tiny amount, experience of the English game. If we are after him, you can bet it is through Carr that discussions have taken place as they probably know each other already.

Still, while Pardew is still here, I will put it down as paper talk, and nowt more.

• 84 Our Toon // May 9, 2014 at 1:04 PM

TDS

Apologies mate I should have read what you put rather than reading into responses that misinterpreted what you actually said (hopefully that makes sense) very sorry mate

On LDJ he’s pants, he has a good first touch as most if not all Dutch players have…..Total football coaching but he isn’t strong, has no pace, doesn’t look like a finisher. Not worth pursuing, but maybe he runs around like a headless chicken though.

Don’t know who mentioned Williamson and Perch saying that LDJ would come good like them players did, Williamson is awful defensively he has made a lot of errors this season the only reason we think he’s done well is because our expectations of him are low. Look at the last 2 games alone, got done by Ken Jones a couple of times and should have been punished, tried to play offside by himself with communicating with his defence against Arsenal, also at fault for the 1st goal.

• 85 Tsunki // May 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Belfast if it’s only fear that smell it’s an upgrade at least :)

• 86 beermonkey // May 9, 2014 at 1:08 PM

spitfire

why????

• 87 Mister Tuff // May 9, 2014 at 1:08 PM

jail – went blog fishing this morning as I was a bit bored. Cast the line and behold two bites immediately -hook line and sinker gobbled up by the eel pie brigade.
    Managed to locate a photo of one of them:-

• 88 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Cisse has had surgery on a fractured patella and will be out for several month. So we will have ZERO striker’s at the club after Sundays game, also Cisse will get rehabilitation at Clairefontaine for some reason

• 89 daztoon // May 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM

De Jong as a replacement for Ameobi a definite upgrade on work rate alone.

• 90 clinath@ed // May 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Cisse going nowhere for a while then.

• 91 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM

All the great minds congratulating themselves.

• 92 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 1:11 PM

On the De Jong debate, giving a player with zero confidence to Alan Pardew was only ever going to end one way.

• 93 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Mister tuff you aren’t wide enough for fishing, snooping is your forte.

• 94 Our Toon // May 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Unfortunate Cisse is out, Clairefontaine makes sense as he speaks French fluently and they will probably have a world class set up there. Cisse will come good but he needs the right manager to do so, dare I say an attacking manager. Young Campbell is an improvement on Shola so no need to buy LDJ as a replacement, let’s not buy rubbish to replace rubbish

• 95 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Our Toon

Why are we the only club that sends all our injured players elsewhere to be rehabilitated?

• 96 mag // May 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM

The blog berk went fishing and caught nowt!

• 97 Tsunki // May 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Guvnor @ 91 – feeling left out then? Between you and your boy you should have a combined iq of a sandal.

• 98 mag // May 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Jack probably because it’s freezing up here!

• 99 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 1:18 PM

mag

Paris is no utopian paradise

• 100 mag // May 9, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Tskunki hows the regain working on your nappa?

• 101 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM

So whats the opinion on Galtier, does anyone know much about him or what style St Etienne play, from Ashley’s point of view his contract is up in the summer so no compen would have to be paid ( and here’s me thinking free transfer’s only applied to the players, appears not ) more importantly is there any truth in it or is it a case of the press being naughty.

• 102 mag // May 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Its 10 celius warmer than Benton though!

• 103 catchy in norway // May 9, 2014 at 1:21 PM

TDS

I think you could not be any more wrong about Man U,

there a very poor team by there high standards , way to many old players way past there best,

way to many young players vastly over hyped,

and only 3 good players worthy, Rodney, van P, Mata

I honestly believe our squad as a whole is better

• 104 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Jack,
    With the French lads it is part of the terms of their deals. They get to do rehab close to home provided the facilities are suitable. I guess it must be the same with all our foreign players, only we deem the facilities in Senegal not suitable, so he goes to a country he spent time in and has a common local language.

• 105 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Spoof

He’s got a good record while working under similar circumstances to Pardew, plays good attacking football and his side are defensively sound, we’ll just have to wait and see if there’s any truth in the story

• 106 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

Doesn’t say a lot for the medical side of our club though does it?

• 107 Mister Tuff // May 9, 2014 at 1:27 PM

eel pie brigade – I bet you are in your gaff, wearing your Pearly King outfits, you’ve just revved up the “ol piano” signing along to Chas and Dave and scoffing your eel pie.

• 108 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Jack,
    I think it is more for the home comfort rather than it being any slight on our medical facilities. We are meant to have some of the best medical facilities in the Prem, lucky really considering how many players need to use them over the last 10 years.

I guess it is a little sweetener in a deal when we are trying to get it ‘over the line’ that they can have a mini break anytime they pick up a knock requiring more than a few weeks out.

• 109 Our Toon // May 9, 2014 at 1:31 PM

JB,

I think a lot of it depends on how comfortable the players feel, I’m also certain the lads that choose to go to Paris to rehabilitate do so of their own accord and own expense, also it doesn’t say much for our medical staff but the facilities there are right up with the best.

• 110 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM

JB

in all honesty I do believe that Pardew will get the sack, so there could be some truth in it, even Sports Direct.com are tipping Pardew for the sack, so if Ashley’s own press team are suggesting he going to be sacked then it does appear as if the righting is on the wall, I just hope they do it next week to give the new man a realistic opportunity to get “his” players in and get a pre-season under his belt, mind it would not be a surprise if Ashley waited till the window was shut and then have the nerve to site a poor summer’s trading as being the reason for his dismissal, as we know the man will do whatever he can to avoid spending money..
    All I know about this Galtier fella is that he prefers to play a 4-5-1 which is easily turned to a 4-3-3 if you are dominating a your opponents, which is the system which I always prefer, he always plays 2 defensive mids which could possibly see Sissoko in his correct position, but at the same time we must accept that 2 defensive mids usually means that he does like to protect the defence, so I don’t expect an all out attacking team, but I have never really seen them play so I am just guessing based on who he plays.

• 111 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 2m
    Simple answer from Pardew when asked if he would be at #nufc next season: “I hope so”

• 112 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Spoof

I was amazed that he survived the Hull debacle tbh.

He’s on borrowed time and don’t think he can do anything to get the fans back on side and it would very interesting to see what abetter coach/manager could get from the players we have.

This is going to be a massive summer for us and if Ashley screw’s it up (again) then next season will be nothing but pain and misery

• 113 theartfuldodger // May 9, 2014 at 1:47 PM

The only good thing about cisse’s injury is that its happenes so early.
    Else Pardew would have another excuse.

Any1 think de jong will be given only a 1 yr contract..or loan again ?

• 114 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM

JB

its the refusal to sack after the Hull game which still puts doubts into my mind, that was gross misconduct, sacking him for that would mean not having to pay compen so why did he not do it ?, the only reasoning I can think of was that Ashley did not realise just how quickly Pardew would lose the dressing room after that incident, and that does appear to be what has happened, Ashley probably thought that it would all calm down and we would just carry on through it with no ill effects, if so then he got that wrong and now has to rectify another mess which he has brought on himself.

• 115 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Artful,
    Pardew’s excuse is made for him anyway. Cisse didn’t get a pre season, missed the friendlies so is getting up to speed. Coupled with we didn’t feel we could justify spending big money on a top striker because we believe Cisse can get back to the top level.

• 116 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Spoof

I think that if the reports on season tickets sales being down by 14,000 are true it will be the trigger to sacking him.

• 117 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM

JB,

I hope your not suggesting that Ashley would sack Pardew solely to try and increase season ticket sales, if so then you would be implying that Ashley motives are solely money motivated, as if lol

I did not realise the sales were down buy that amount, I knew they were down, but crikey, that is one hell of a message getting sent, if he sacked Pardew and then sold to an Arab who would invest then those tickets would be sold in a day and we would have another waiting list for them, why can’t he see what he could get with a little bit of investment, the moron.

• 118 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Spoof

As if Ashley would make a decision based solely on money ;)

Don’t know if that figure is correct but thats what was being touted a few weeks ago

• 119 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Lilongwe

The media is focussing on this B team thing because they know it will generate headlines but it’s not the only area of the report as I’ve been saying the whole time:

Area 1 – Inadequate and insufficient playing opportunities for 18-20 year-old elite players at top clubs.
    •Area 2 – Regulation of the player market in England is not effective in preserving the desired balance of British, EU and non-EU players in clubs.
    •Area 3 – Coaching and coach development, essentially at grassroots level, have not yet reached a satisfactory level and impact.
    •Area 4 – England lags behind in the quantity and quality of affordable grassroots facilities, particularly in the provision of all-weather pitches.

It’s silly to complain about 1 area as not doing enough when that is just s small part of this.

• 120 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM

JB

in all honesty I can believe that figure, I have had a ticket for over 20 years but I gave it up last season, there are many like me, and there are manay like me who will not go back as long as Ashley is in charge, he could sack Pardew and replace him with Rodgers, Mourinho, Hiddinck or whoever and I still would not go back as I do not see how any manager could succeed with him there, however if Ashley sold the club on Monday I would be in touch with the ticket office to get a ticket again, whoever the manager was, and I believe that there are 1000’s who are exactly like me.

• 121 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Our Toon

It’s sadly an all too common occurrence on this blog…someone with an agenda decides to totally ignore the true meaning of someone’s post, twist the words and makes out that they were saying something different, knowing full well that others will jump on their bandwagon. Seen it loads of times.

And I didn’t know that you also support Sunderland… ;-)

• 122 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Gawd you does go on blog berk!

• 123 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Pardews not going anywhere!

• 124 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM

catchy

I think you’re frankly mad if you think our squad is better than Man Utd’s. They have a pretty similar squad to last year only some key players are a bit older and they don’t have Ferguson. Let’s match them up…

De Gea – Krul
    Evra – Santon
    Vidic – Colo
    Ferdinand – Willo
    Jones – Debuchy
    Carrick – Tiote
    Valencia – Sissoko
    Januzaj – Goofy
    Mata – HBA
    Rooney – Remy
    RvP – Cisse

Ummm…that’s just the first 11. Maybe Sissoko over Valencia and maybe Tiote over Carrick, possibly even Debuchy over Jones but they’re all at a push. In several of the other areas, their players are miles ahead of ours! Man Utd. underperformed by far but they also have serious weaknesses in the squad. We only had one real weakness in the squad in the summer (strong striker) and then replaced it with another one in January (creativity).

Compare our squads with any of the top 7 and I think we’re found wanting. I said similar to Everton last summer but felt they overtook us on deadline day and with Cisse and HBA misfiring and several of their key players doing well, plus a decent manager who plays attractive football, they’ve done much better than us.

• 125 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM

TDS,
    The only areas of relevance for the long term development are areas 3 and 4. Area 1 will come with an increase in the ability of players coming through. Area 2 is the same. The fact that the FA are in no real position to do anything to alter this due to EU laws means that it is pointless to focus on. Maybe if the FA could offer incentives to take on young players say within a certain catchment area then they could affect it. But they certainly can’t stop clubs bringing in foreigners.

It is great that the whole issue is being highlighted, it is an area that I have worked in and now help out in over here, and am passionate about, and also know a fair bit about the subject. I just think focusing on the pro game is missing the wood for the trees.

Get grassroots and youth football right, and the rest will come.

• 126 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Spoof

I’m the same mate, I wont set foot back inside there until Ashley is gone, but I think he’s trying to close the stable door after the horse has well and truly fcuked off

• 127 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 2:19 PM

TDS,
    At the same time, they should sacrifice this World Cup if they want to help the national team. Boot out Gerrard, Cole anyone over 30 and take bright young players who will play in the next one or two tournaments. That would be just as worthwhile as a B team league in terms of a short term fix.

• 128 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 7m
    Pardew on meeting with MA to broadcast journalist today: “I’m sure Mike will have an opinion what what we need to do better.”

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder 7m
    Pardew on meeting with MA: “Hopefully, we’ll get the right solutions to get a season like we had two years ago.” #nufc

• 129 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 2:22 PM

B team football is a complete joke put together by the daft FA, during a business lunch.

• 130 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 2:22 PM

• 131 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 2:22 PM

TDS,
    On matching the teams up of Man U and NUFC, I’d say the 3 you mention are definites, and I’d swap it to Rio vs Colo as they are more similar in style and would prefer Colo over Rio. (I’m not sure Rio is even a starting 11 player nowadays mind)

However their players that beat ours beat ours by miles, whereas our players that beat theirs are a much closer contest.

• 132 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM

guvnor,

I’m not so sure m8, for a few weeks after the Hull incident I was convinced it wouldn’t happen as that was a perfect time to do, but Ashley has made mistakes in the past and he may now view not sacking him then as being a mistake, but it is a mistake which he could rectify now, I’m not as sure as I was a while back.

• 133 Wayayman // May 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Totally agree re the coaching being poor for young kids, but this starts at school.

My son plays for a local (very well ran and coached) community team at U11 age group this season.
    Can you believe that last season -when he was U10- was the FIRST season that age group would play 9-a-side instead of 11-a-side. These 11 a side games are played on full size goals, full size pitches. Guess what that encourages? Pardew’s favourite HoofBall.

Thankfully, his age group lucked out with the FA initiative to make the gradual step up from 7 a side (at U9’s and 10’s) to 9 a side (smaller pitches and goals than full size) for the U11’s and U12’s. It goes full size 11 a side at U13.

The net result is that our boys play one and two touch, pass and move, play from the back football as the pitches are not so big that they have to smash it upfield.
    But there’s a problem here, the opposition they play, for the most part, are coached by old-school coaches for the most part, Sure there are a few like-minded teams but the majority are hit and hope, lump it up to the big CF and all chase the knock down. Remember this is at 10 and 11 years old!

My son goes to a very good school, but the PE teachers coach like these saturday morning part timers. Big lad up front, big lad in CD, small fast wingers out wide and there is almost no consideration for development. They pigeon hole them from such an early age.
    One lad who plays left back for his school and is shy in the tackle, but you should see him fly when he plays up front for our Sat morning boys! His coach has given him the confidence to take people on, to try a shot, or to keep his head up when he receives a pass in midfield. His PE teacher just saw that he is left footed and can run back quickly, so he’ll be a defender.

I’m all for improvements to the English game, but the reality is that it needs a TOTAL overhaul from pre-school fun football upwards.
    There are some amazing set-ups like the one my son is lucky enough to be part of, but that’s sadly an exception.

• 134 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Colocini over Ferdinand, no comparison Ferdinand is light years ahead of the cart horse.

• 135 Wayayman // May 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Oh, and the reality of wanting more all-weather pitches for younger teams is that they get used to playing their game on a perfect surface then can’t play that way when they play away on an old council pitch in february with barely a blade of grass on rock-hard divotted pitches. That’s from 5 years experience watching that very thing happen!

• 136 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM

St Etienne manager rumours going potty on twatter!

• 137 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Old wenger hit the nail on the head yesterday, apparently most of the youth players can’t even do the basics with the ball.

• 138 Lilongwe Geordie // May 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Wayayman,
    100% agree. The thing about school football is they are coached by PE coaches. They aren’t specialist, and could never be as school Physical education is just that, it isn’t football education.

As for the 11 a side, it encourages the more physically developed at that age, and discourages the more technical and intelligent players. If I was part of the FA commission that would be my sole focus. Coaches and the type of game played at a young age.

La Masia and the Ajax academy start with kids of 7/8 and play 3vs3 or 4vs4 games, gradually increasing numbers, based on creation and technique, rather than winning an 11 a side match because you have the most physically developed kid up front.

• 139 theartfuldodger // May 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM

In the first half of the season, we were one of the best teams in the league.

“In the second half, we weren’t. We weren’t good enough, and the results weren’t good enough.

Look at the manipulator…Say it Alan…We were the worst…

• 140 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Get French Football ?@GFN_France 38s
    Christophe Galtier’s agent J-P Bernes has said that he has not received any contact from an English club, denying L’Equipe’s reports. #ASSE

• 141 Our Toon // May 9, 2014 at 2:34 PM

TDS

I think it’s unfortunate that but the atmosphere has been created by MA we’ve gone from being some of the best fans in the world to a bunch of moaners (me included). On the Mackem thing, I might be in the minority to admit this but I would prefer them in the prem so we can play against them although of late they’ve not been enjoyable. I can appreciate the job GP has done there, only the 2nd team to ever survive when bottom at xmas, I love my club but can also be humble and acknowledge the good work the enemy have done, doesn’t mean I support them though.

On the squad comparison, only Tiote and Debuchy would get into Man Utd’s team the rest of our team wouldn’t even get a look in

• 142 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Pardews staying hallelujah!

• 143 Our Toon // May 9, 2014 at 2:38 PM

JB @126

I am the same as you and Spoof, it was tough giving up my season ticket but I’m glad I have done it. Until MA goes I will not buy anything toon related, nor will I attend a match

• 144 validator // May 9, 2014 at 2:41 PM

It does seem if the reports are to be believed that Mr Pardew, has dodged the bullet, so to speak.

• 145 beermonkey // May 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM

you boys that have given up ur season tickets do you ever goto away games ??

cant see pards getting the sack it didn’t happen after hull and we keep hearing 10th was the target overall regardless of how we got there he has made his targets

its bad enough I have still have a little hope left we will buy players this time round I refuse to believe pards is going any where till I see him with a box of pads getting into his car

• 146 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Our Toon

I would agree with you on the Sunderland side of your post, the derby games are the most dreaded and at the same time the most looked forward too, I believe that seeing them relegated is petty spite and I feel its always for the best when we are both in the top division, as long as we do better that would be fine, seeing them finish 4th and getting CL football would be fine with me, provided we were 3rd at worst, rivalry makes football what it is, a lot of that rivalry is lost when teams are in different league’s, beating them is so sweet, but you have got to be prepared to taste the bitterness if you want the sweetness, thats the way it goes, so yes I agree with totally on that one.

However with Poyet and I have seen his name getting bigged up on this site for a little while now, it’s too early for that in my opinion, he took a struggling side which had an excellant cup run but still struggled in the league, don’t forget that before the Man City game they had picked up only 1 point from their previous 8 league games, they have now hit a good run which has dragged them out of the relegation zone, but he has had mixed fortunes and if he continues like that next season then they will be in trouble again as the shock results which have saved then are unlikely to happen again, look at us in November and December, we were on great form but that doesn’t make Pardew a wonderful manager does, lets not jump the gun with Poyet as he has done very little yet, one decent run is about it.

• 147 cyprus // May 9, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Niafron or anyone who watches French football,
    Who is this Galtier guy? What kind of football does he play?

• 148 Our Toon // May 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Beermonkey

I think it would defeat the purpose of me giving up my season ticket if I attended away games, I refuse to spend any money on anything toon related until MA sells up!! My father-in-law has a box and I refuse to go and watch games in there as I will be condoning this regime by attending any games.

• 149 Ancientcoptic // May 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

I would rather we closed the season on the end of a 5-0 drubbing from Liverpool, with Pardew’s position under threat; rather than sneak a win against Liverpool against the run of play, and take Pardew into next season.

It would be nigh on unbelievable for Pardew to keep his job, if we got hammered by Liverpool. I don’t know any Premier League manager could survive a 20 game run like Pardew. Especially with 2 injury time winners, and one lucky win against Cardiff. We have 4 wins in 20 games, and only ONE of those was a worthwhile win… (Rolling on to 21 games)

Top, bottom or middle… what kind of club stands for that?

• 150 welshgeordie9 // May 9, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I wish Ashley would get off his arse and get rid of pardew, what the hell is stopping him.

It’s like watching one of those tv soaps

• 151 ochytoon // May 9, 2014 at 3:01 PM

With Cisse out for months, that means we are going into pre-season without a single striker… No Remy or De Jong, Ameobi out of contract, and Armstrong with very little professional experience. Lets play 4-6-0 like the Spaniards.

• 152 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Our Toon, Jack Butler said the same as well, it just goes to show how much damage the man is doing, but like I said, if Ashley sells on Monday then I will buy a season ticket on Monday, but not until he has gone, I would dare like to bet that there are 1000’s like us, yet look at how many tickets still get sold, ran correctly and I would not be surprised if we could fill an 80,000 seater stadium week in and week out, it really is gauling.

• 153 validator // May 9, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Good day! Welshgeordie.

• 154 cyprus // May 9, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Ancient,
    Totally legit points. Though I confess I can’t stand my team losing :( Confirmed the feeling vs. Cardiff when I said to those around me I wanted to lose but secretly I wished otherwise!

• 155 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM

beermonkey, I work weekends so getting the time to go away can’t be done.

• 156 kevymartins // May 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM

He is really doing my head in!!! He keeps saying about the 6 games we lost but does he realize we lost alot more than 6 games from boxing day the tard we won like 1 and drawed 2 from 18 or something the f***t*rd..

And he really needs to stop this crap about we beat cardiff (the last team in the league with a s**t defense) so everything is okay bullshit or a fan will end up losing it and throwing a hatchet at him.

• 157 hadthetshirt // May 9, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Mark Knopfler and Chris Rea are going to play St. James this summer.The concert is inspired by how well we have done this season.They are calling themselves Dire Rea

• 158 validator // May 9, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Pardew has a convenient memory, when it concerns his failures of which there are many.

• 159 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 3:10 PM

• 160 Black and White with an army lol // May 9, 2014 at 3:10 PM

guys scrap the post about Christophe Galtier.

I read into more tactical analysis about him and it’s bad news I’m afraid.

he was a former French defender then when into coaching and never guess what

his style is defending and Direct play- sound familiar?

that’s right he’s a French Pardew.

so much for MA wanting attacking play

• 161 Ancientcoptic // May 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM

cyprus – yes, all 4 wins in the last 20 are legitimate, but 2 injury time winners indicates we got lucky for 2 of those wins. The win against Cardiff was down to Cardiff fluffing their chances. The moral of the story here, is that even the wins in our spell of relegation form, are mostly based on luck. If anything, you could say that 4 wins in the last 20 is good going for Pardew, seeing as we didn’t really deserve all of those wins.

It is only going to get worse when Pardew is trying to mastermind how to score goals without Remy and Ben Arfa in the squad. (Something he will get around to, when he finally figures out how to master his containing football, if that will ever happen)

• 162 validator // May 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Lee Ryder, gives his thoughts as dictated by twitter.

• 163 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Lilongwe

Pro football has the money though. Pro football clubs are sponsoring clubs that have really young kids playing for them to ensure they have first chance on the next big thing. And the best coaches will get paid the most joining an elite club rather than coach a group of kids, most of whom will never have a pro career.

I think the recommendations are good and it’s good to actually try to do something but I definitely agree, that there should be more of a focus on technique when kids are young and less on trying to win to hoofing it up to the big overdeveloped kid.

As for this World Cup, I think we should take players like Gerrard and Lampard because they will be great influences in the dressing room, I also think we need a good balance so we aren’t completely destroyed. Even if we do, then the media will blame the old guard and they have the experience to take it. Imagine if we got stuffed and the media slated players like Lallana and Shaw. It could destroy their confidence for years. For the record, I’d start:
    Hart

Henderson
    Lampard
    Milner
    Carroll

• 164 Our Toon // May 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Spoof

Agree mate as long as we always finish above the enemy. as for GP he’s already beat pards 4 times with inferior squads, saved Brighton from relegation and won the league in the following season, they then finished in play offs losing to Palace. He was assistant manager to Juande Ramos at Spurs when they beat Chelsea 2-1 in the final of the cup, He’s won awards at every level and already achieved more than pards mate in his short managerial career

• 165 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Pardews not going anywhere, get used to it!

• 166 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Black and White with an army lol

He is not a defensive minded manager by any means mate, he’s been praised over the past few years for his free flowing, attacking football

• 167 cyprus // May 9, 2014 at 3:15 PM

“that’s right he’s a French Pardew.” lol

• 168 guvnor // May 9, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Jack is that Pardew your describing?

• 169 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Lilongwe

Glad you agree on the Man Utd v NUFC debate. I agree about the centre halves comment too. Vidic is miles better than Willo and they are similar but maybe Colo has the edge on Ferdinand these days. I could have put Jones, Smalling or Evans as the second centre half though and try comparing those 3 to the performances of Saylor and MYM this season…

I just think that some people wear black and white tinted glasses when they compare us to other teams…

• 170 Black and White with an army lol // May 9, 2014 at 3:18 PM

JackButler

he’s an defensive manager mate and plays direct play basically hoofball.

have you seen there squad? most of there strikers are Target men

• 171 Our Toon // May 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Spoof

Agreed mate, if MA sells the club tomorrow I will buy a season ticket again….without hesitation

• 172 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Our Toon

Yeah, I’d rather see the mackems stay in the PL too. It means we get 2 cup finals every year! It’s funny when they go down but it does make the next season a bit less interesting…

I might take Sissoko in Man Utd’s midfield too but after this summer I’d be very surprised if there is one of our players would get into their starting 11…

• 173 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM

kevy

the biggest problem I have with this desire to get rid of Pardew ( yes I do also think he should be sacked ) but I sence the atmosphere shown to his is so hostile that it is deflecting the attention away from he who is a bigger problem, read Our Toon @143, that’s 3 of us in just a few minutes who have said the same, he is destroying the very fabric of our club so I hope you can understand why I get so frustrated with this Pardew hostility, yes he should go but there are far greater issues than us, yet all we have had for weeks and weeks, months by some is Pardew, Pardew Pardew, and the amount of times these people say that they know what Ashley is doing but they can’t do anything about it, we can we get rid of Pardew ?, Pardew is deflecting the attention away from the real issue, forget about him, the chances are a new owner would bring in a new manager anyway so lets concentrate on harrassing the owner as much as we can.

A little earlier LG wrote about the developement and youth set up stating that if you get the grassroots right the rest will fall into place, the same applies here, get the club running correctly and the manager situation will sort itself out, we have to walk before we can run, read Our Toon’s post again, we have to try and stop this from continuing, we have to try and harrass him out, forget about the manager.

• 174 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Black and White with an army lol

I’ve watched Saint-Étienne for a while after the links with Aubameyang and they play good football and not hoof ball

• 175 Himanshu Dhingra // May 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM

There is another one like Pardew? End must be nigh.

• 176 toonarmydownsouth // May 9, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Looks like Cisse will miss most of pre season
    Que Shola contract extension

• 177 Ancientcoptic // May 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Pardew & Mourinho are birds of a feather, in Pardew’s narcissistic pea-brain that is.

• 178 Black and White with an army lol // May 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM

JackButler

they had no choice when Aubameyang was there, he was there best player.

if you watch the games now you will notice they sit deep and hit on the counter with Direct passing play towards there large strikers

• 179 Graeme // May 9, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Hadtheshirt @ 157 – Brilliant mate lol

• 180 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 3:26 PM

tads

It’s gonna happen mate, Shola will be here one way or another :(

• 181 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 3:30 PM

• 182 toonarmydownsouth // May 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM

JB
    Hate to say it mind, rather see Shola on an extension than a big chunk if the budget blown on LDJ

I know he’s come into a struggling team but with a loan move at his age it’s about 100% proving your up to standard and good enough to play at that level
    Not sure he came near doing that tbh

• 183 Spoof // May 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Our Toon

in fairness I wasn’t trying to compare him to Pardew, truth is I’m a bit bored with the Pardew debate now, lets sack him, nothing more to say, however you could big Pardew up as well if you wished too, Reading he is still a hero, got Soton to Wembley, got West Ham promoted and to Wenbley and into Europe and he took West Ham there highest ever league placing, its amazing how you can sell someone with just a few words.

The point is Pardew should be sacked but it was Poyet who I feel is getting more credit than what he has actually earned, its often said that you make your own luck in football, but this houdini act against the top sides is not be a true reflection of what Sunderland are so you have to put that down to an extroadinary sequence of results rather than good management, personally I feel that lady luck has been shining very brightly over our near neighbours, too early for me to say that Poyet is a good manager, 1 point in 8 games tells me he is as consistent as Ben Arfa.

• 184 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 3:35 PM

tads

To be fair to LDJ he’s been playing in a side that has totally collapsed and for a manager who isn’t renowned for getting the best out of players. The whole thing has gone t*t’s up for the lad but I agree i don’t think we should pay out for him, if Pardew does go maybe we could extend the loan and see what he’s like under a different coach with a different approach to our squad

• 185 JackButler // May 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Malky Mackay is now free to manage another club after ending his legal dispute with Cardiff

• 186 ToonDarnSarf // May 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Last summer many fans said they wanted Di Canio, Hughton, Mackay, Jol, Clarke, Solskjaer and Laudrup…all of whom have been sacked or relegated. Many fans DIDN’T want Pulis because of his long ball tactics at Stoke…

Is there really any manager in the PL now who has proven himself and would consider managing us? Pochettino maybe? Nobody else I can think of…

• 187 mag // May 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Pardew signing De Jong, is his way of preparing for the Championship, where he feels more comfortable.

• 188 theartfuldodger // May 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM

We end this season without a single striker..Without a creative midfielder…without a winger…and a defence which has shipped in goals galore…

Just about a run of the mill average season…

• 189 toonarmydownsouth // May 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM

TDS
    If still take Mackay and Jol, and why would Pochettino come here?
    Moyes i think is a realistic shout as would Bruce who’s done great things with hull

Laudrup, for me, wouldn’t be a good fit for NUFC under it’s current set up, it would be a huge clash of ego’s at every hurdle and imo he’s a journeyman, we need a long term manager for a long term project

Personally would love De Boer and his staff, fantastic football philosophy, works well on a budget, brilliant record at bringing through youth, granted at a club with a great youth system, but he could use his knowledge of that system to push our youth system in the right direction
    We need a coach with full control of a project that involves changing the ethos through all levels of the club

We can dream eh!