The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

That Head Butt Started The Newcastle Decline

8:48 am, Sunday, May 11th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

We were dominating Hull City on their ground on March 1st,  and winning 3-1 after 70 minutes or so, when the Newcastle manager reacted to a push from Hull City player David Meyler on the touchline, and Alan Pardew (softly) head-butted Meyler.

alan pardew butts david meyler

Pardew head butts David Meyler

And almost immediately it was sports news around the world – a manager accosts an opposing team’s player – and Mike Ashley issued a terse statement on the Newcastle web-site that night, fining the manager £100,000 and warning him as to his future conduct.

It was a huge mistake by the Pardew, and at the time, after we had won the game 4-1, we had 43 points from 28 games and a goal difference of -2 – and still 10 games to play.

But in the eight games after that we got only three points, with a stoppage time winner against Crystal Palace, and failed to score in six of those games.

And then last week we won at home to Cardiff to break a six game losing streak in the Premier League – the first time that’s happened.

We now have 49 points from 37 games with a goal difference of -15.

So it looks like we’ll get only 6 points from our last 10 games with a defeat at Liverpool today, and we could have done so much better, and that seven game ban – stadium and touchline – seems to have started the terrible decline of Newcastle this season – and we got only 3 points in those games, losing six of them.

Alan Pardew has admitted as much:

“I’ve obviously let myself down on the touchline, for sure.” “The Hull incident was obviously a turning point I definitely didn’t want to have. I think that affected me and the team.

“I will make sure that never happens again. It stands out, if I’m honest, from anything else.” “I think I’ve made some calls this year where I could have been a bit more positive tactically.”

“That might have come from my situation sitting up in the stands.”

There will more protests today against both Pardew and owner Mike Ashley, but if the report in the Express today is true – Alan will keep his job.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 southerngeordie // May 11, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Think you’ll find Ed it went wrong when NUFC issued this statement: “Newcastle United would like to announce the appointment of Alan Pardew as our new manager.”

• 2 jazzyp // May 11, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Ashley’s wealth up 1.45 billion lads to an estimated 3.6 billion ffs………And were scrimping and scraping our way through each season being run in to the ground. Something has to give this summer as I don’t believe the first team can carry on being run in this fashion without devastating consequences to our Pl status

• 3 the truth will out // May 11, 2014 at 9:06 AM

ashley will get all he deserves
    thankfully nothing from me

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // May 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Jazzy,
    Ashleys wealth makes little difference to me. I’m not too bothered that he doesn’t spend millions of his own cash on making Newcastle a top side. I’m okay with operating using our own income.

The problem comes when Ashley isn’t maximising revenue, and isn’t allowing that money to be spent on improving the playing squad/manager/coaching. We will make a profit again this year, which is all well and good, but those profits should be ploughed back into the side, for the good of the club and to help increase future revenues through stronger on pitch performance.

The fact our commercial revenue has significantly decreased under Ashley, partly due to his free advertising of his tat. That is criminal.

• 5 Laurent Robert 32 // May 11, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Pardew you liar, shut it.

• 6 ash1001 // May 11, 2014 at 9:57 AM

See P45DUE has opened his mouth again, total gob-shite as usual, this man annoys a very placid old man so much.

“Downhill since headbutt, Liverpool best team in the league”, bollocks

• 7 catchy in norway // May 11, 2014 at 10:09 AM

only fools and idiots believe you now

• 8 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // May 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Every one on here is so wound up with their hate for Pardew there are those who of forgotten how to support the club !

About the Head-Butt incident ! Our season was over when Yohan Cabaye was sold, the so called- “Head-Butt “? incident is only a part of the Problem !

If Pardew is Sacked / bought off, the main problem which is actually Fat Ash will not be solved !
    No decent Trainer or Manager will ever want to take the job at the Club with Ashley as the owner !

Pardew is only a part of the Problem !

• 9 musomag // May 12, 2014 at 1:23 AM