Newcastle Youngsters Star As England Win Again

Our two England U17 players, Adam Armstrong and Freddie Woodman are playing well for England in the European U17 tournament in Malta, and today England beat Turkey 4-1, but were helped by the dismissal of Hasan Ozkan after 40 minutes when the score was 1-1.

Soccer - International Friendly - England U17s v Italy U17s - Pirelli Stadium

Adam Armstrong – scored again for England

Newcastle goalkeeper Freddie Woodman saved a first-half penalty, and Adam Armstrong had eight shots in the first half alone, but was frustrated by the brilliance of Turkey goalkeeper Tarik Çetin.

But that didn’t stop Adam getting his second goal for England in as many games in the second half after 64 minutes.

Turkey got their penalty after only 15 minutes but Woodman got down well low to his right to save Enes’s spot kick, and it was a great save from the Newcastle goalkeeper, but within a minute Woodman was beaten by Enes Unal,  who gave the Newcastle goalkeeper no chance.

Chelsea striker Dominic Solanke equalized after 20 minutes for England and then Hasan Ozkan was sent off 5 minutes before the break, for a second yellow card.

England scored three goals in the second half, and they came from Chelsea’s Dominic Solanke after 49 minutes, and then one from Everton’s JonJoe Kenny after 59 minutes, followed by Adam Armstrong’s  goal after 64 minutes to complete the scoring.

It gave England another win, and now they have seven goals in their first two games and have conceded one, and they will play their final group game against the Netherlands – the reigning Champions  – on Thursday and that should be a good game.

Malta play the Netherlands later today, but England are currently top of Group A with 6 points from their first two games.

• Scottiedog

May 12, 2014 at 3:13 PM

How about Danny Ings + Armstrong up front next year!!

• stuart no9

May 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM

TDS—- From earlier post.———Gamble with NUFC’s future? I’d rather make some smart decisions to be honest with you. Look at all the options and get the best person for the job rather than hire KK because of emotions…….. ok what what would you do to constitute a smart decision. and who do you think would be the best person for the job , bearing in mind i never said get keegan here soley as manager.

• theartfuldodger

May 12, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Id have Willo on standby over stones

• ochytoon

May 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Lambert’s had two seasons in the top flight where he has maintained a good scoring record. He’s also played well for England in his few England caps, unlike Carroll.

Lampard is a failure. Him, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry etc. are the Golden Generation which let us down. Huge egos with very little to back it up. I’m glad we’ve seen shot of most of them.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 12, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Ochy,
    The argument you are putting forward for Lambert is completely irrelevant to my argument as to why I wouldn’t have included him. I haven’t said he hasn’t done okay the past two seasons, but looking at the age of the squad it is looking to give them experience for the future. That isn’t Lambert. I can see reasoning for some of the other older players as they have International tournament experience. Lambert doesn’t hence the experience line doesn’t work.

To be honest, I think if Rodriguez hadn’t picked up his injury it would be him, not Lambert in the squad.

• ochytoon

May 12, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Perhaps you’re right but I still believe its the right decision to take Lambert over Carroll, regardless of the reasoning.

• JackButler

May 12, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Any of you lads see England getting out of the group stage this summer?

• ToonDarnSarf

May 12, 2014 at 3:40 PM

stuart no9

I don’t know mate because I don’t live in the sport/football world and I don’t know all of the major players. I want a DoF/chairman/MD who has experience with running a top flight sports club (preferably football but not vital). I don’t want KK just because I don’t know that many people and because he is a NUFC legend.

There’s bound to be someone suitable out there. I don’t need to know who he is to make the statement that I believe there are many better candidates than KK.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Jack,
    I don’t personally, although I do like the squad mainly. Just think a combination of altitude, ability, heat and humidity will take it away from our lot. Even Costa Rica, who are much more used to the atmosphere could be tough. Italy’s slower tempo will be much more suited to the environment.

• ochytoon

May 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM

JB
    I see us as an unknown quantity this year. I think this could benefit us and we can go as far as the quarter finals, should we get a decent tie out of the group stage.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 12, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Ochy,
    There is no right here mate, just opinions. Yours is just as valid as mine. I am far more interested in youth development and progressing them through because I am involved with it out here, that is one of the reasons I’d prefer to see a younger man then Lambert. Carroll wouldn’t be an automatic choice but with Rodriguez out and very little else to choose from in the top flight then it is him I would have turned to. Ings is another possible, but I’d prefer Prem experience.

• ochytoon

May 12, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Lilongwe Geordie
    I want the youth to develop as much as the next man but I don’t see any promising prospects who are up to the task yet. But like you said, its just opinions..

• JackButler

May 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Personally can’t see England getting past the group and see Uruguay and Italy getting out of it with Uruguay as eventual winners