Pardew Targets Two More Players For The Summer

We are going to see more and more stories in the press of players Newcastle are after, and this summer could be worse (or better depending on how you look at it) with the number of players we are linked with – because if Newcastle are going to do well next season, we will have to bring in some very good new players.

Andreas Weimann  2746300

Andreas Weimann – Aston Villa forward

And the news yesterday was that Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is  interested in signing two Aston Villa players, midfielder Fabian Delph and forward Andreas Weimann this summer.

We were after Andreas Weimann last year, when he was getting to the end of his contract at Villa, but he signed on again, and the 6″2″10 times capped Austrian International forward has had another good season at Aston Villa, who have struggled for the second season running under Paul Lambert.

In the 2012-2013  season Weimann scored 12 goals in 38 appearances for Villa, but this season his goal tally has dropped, and he has only 6 goals in 25 appearances for his club.

It seems Pardew likes the player who doesn’t turn 23 until August, and therefore we could make a move for him, and he’s said to be worth around £9M – but that seems a high transfer fee.

fabian delph

24 year-old Fabian Delph

Fabian Delph was an up-and-coming player at Leeds United before the Bradford-born player signed for Villa back in 2009, and he was loaned back  to Leeds United briefly in 2012.

Fabian has made 33 appearances for Aston Villa this season, and he’s a talented player at 24 years-old, and in total he has 93 appearances with 6 goals for Villa, after playing 54 times with 6 goals for Leeds.

And of course he’s English and has played 4 times for the England U21 side.

Both players are said to cost Newcastle £15M, and we think that’s a lot for these two players, and why would they want to move to Newcastle from Aston Villa?

That’s another good question, although we suppose we can say we are a top ten side these days. 🙁

What do you think?

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Delph a definite yes for me. Followed him closely since he broke on the scene at Leeds around the same time Ramsey was starting to make the first team at Cardiff. Always thought both would make it to the very top, and both have been very unlucky with injuries in their young careers.

Ramsey has finally proved it at Arsenal, and Delph is starting to show what he can do. I think he would fit in superbly at NUFC, adding a bit of drive and skill to the centre of the park.

• mindshaft

May 12, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Fabien Delph is definitely a no no, my Villa mates reckon he’s a waste of space and just runs into blind alleys – Pards isn’t going to improve him

England squad looks okay although how smalling or johnson get anywhere near it is beyond me – think we might make 3rd in the group stage or somehow fluke 2nd then get knocked out in last 16

• Go toon gooooo

May 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Parde.Even Ashley can’t save you next year.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Ochy,
    I’m not really a big fan of Carroll, but Lambert is 31, and isn’t going to be involved again, and is purely in as back up anyway. I also don’t really like Welbeck but there is a shortage of top strikers in England at the moment.

So I have a feeling Carroll may be in and around the squad for a while, and if this is building for the future then that makes more sense than Lambert as he doesn’t even offer the big tournament experience that some of the other elder statesmen offer.

• Tinman

May 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM

England can surprise a few this year. Finally looks like we will have a team with some pace and skill. If we play a front four of Lallana, Rooney, Sterling and Sturridge. Gerrard playing the anchor and Wilshere or Henderson in the middle. I think those front four can cause any side problems. Will be tough for us to get out of the group, but I don’t think Uruguay or Italy will be feeling that confident about escaping that group either. After that it’s one game at a time.

On Delph and Weimann, both would improve our squad. Better than Gosling and Obertan. And 15m is cheap for 2 decent young players. They would also add some much needed pace.

• cestriasteve

May 12, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Magpie, read your Remy Cabella post and personally if he has played his last game then I hope he isn’t coming over here, he isn’t going to add anything to what we already have. I keep saying it but Clement Grenier has got the make up to be a quality EPL attacking midfielder as has Siem de Jong, but Cabella no I’m sorry we should stay away.

I also hope that we don’t get Loic Remy either, he wants the bright lights of London and I’d love to have Bony over him any day.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 12, 2014 at 2:57 PM

On Weimann, not really sure what he brings, other than a bit of height, that Goofy doesn’t give the side. I’d like options, not same old same old.

• ochytoon

May 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Lilongwe Geordie
    I think we need the correct balance between youth and experience though. I didn’t want any of the “Golden Generation”, with the exception of Gerrard, so I feel it makes sense to give Lambert a chance.

• FAU

May 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Weimann YES, Delph NO

I rather go for Norwich Mid, Howson. (bargain as well)

and Arnautovic is also on my big wishlish to play for NUFC, he will be big player. Very good shooter as well.

• martoon

May 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Re England team – midfield looks good but Smalling & Johnson in defense makes me shudder – where is the cover for right back? Strikers – You can’t argue with Rooney & Sturridge but I think I would take Carroll rather than Welbeck – something different to bring off the bench if we are chasing a game.

• Kamikaze Koala

May 12, 2014 at 3:01 PM

If were gonna spend (and that’s a massive IF) 15 million on those two, i have to expect a proper striker shall be coming in the region of 20 million!

• Scottiedog

May 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Cannot believe Williamson is not in the squad for Rio!……

• theartfuldodger

May 12, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Dint think I was gonna engage in jotting down players Id like but I guess Im too bored with Ashley and Pardew for now..

Arnautovic
    Snodgrass
    Cabella
    Grenier

No idea on strikers…theyr the biggest risk…

So much for the list..None of them will happen..

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 12, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Ochy,
    But if you are going for experience better to pick someone who has international experience, rather than just because he is 31.

I think the balance comes in the form of Foster, Jagielka, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney.

Still, all in all, it adds a bit more interest for me now. The combinations in midfield and up front have great potential for some entertaining football – Barkley, Lallana, Sterling, Ox, Sturridge, Rooney – depending on formation, 3 or 4 out of that lot looks like we could be in for entertainment. Seems Hodgson is embracing progressive football, instead of the muck evident at the Euros.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 12, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Also, funny how when people list ‘Pardew signings’ they always forget Pardew wanted Lallana when Southampton were in the Championship.

• Scottiedog

May 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM

@41 – Lambert has been one of the best English Centre forwards for the last 5 years!!!! + he is great a the dead ball!

For us I would love to get Danny Ings 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Mindshaft,
    Not sure what your mates who are Villa fans watch, but Delph was voted fans Player of the Year just last week.

• theartfuldodger

May 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Scottie..

Id have Willo on standby atleast…instead of stones from everton..

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Scottiedog,
    You realise 2 of those were in League 1 and 1 in the Championship mate….

• ochytoon

May 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Lambert’s had two seasons in the top flight where he has maintained a good scoring record. He’s also played well for England in his few England caps, unlike Carroll.

Lampard is a failure. Him, Cole, Ferdinand, Terry etc. are the Golden Generation which let us down. Huge egos with very little to back it up. I’m glad we’ve seen shot of most of them.

• Whumpie

May 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM

With an extra half-BILLION of cash sloshing around in the PL this summer, expect the most mediocre of English players to command 8 or even 9 figures.

Anyone who expects the new TV money to give their team an advantage over the others (who have just been given the same thing) clearly doesn’t understand much about the market economy!

So, sadly, £15m for these two isn’t all that far-fetched.

Expect to see more a***holes in flash cars but no improvement in football or results.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

May 12, 2014 at 4:02 PM

And so Begins the Great Summer Transfer Circus show !

How many players can we be linked with and how much crap rumour mongering can we take ?

@6 : I hope to god that we don,t go and get Siem de Jong !
    My Ajax mates across here will be laughing at me
    every time i see them? He aint much better than
    his brother Luuk !

Swansea will never let Boney leave them? He is their best player and would cost a bomb to get him to come to us?

As for a new Trainer/ Manager ! Pardew aint going anywhere soon, and there is no amount of Hate on here which is going to get him shifted !
    Much as that a disapponitment is for most on here?

• The next Mike Williamson

May 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Weimmen is exactly the same as Gouffy. A grafter who can get between 5-10 goals a year. Delph is no better than Anita.

• bobby mango

May 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I’d love both of these and actually think 15m would be a good deal.

Weimman would add a lot to our team. See he’s been compared to Gouf but I think he’s quite a bit better.

• Munster Mag

May 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Jail, thanks for the defence in the last post re what Turkich said. Turkish, I hate Ashley and all he stands for. The only reason I accept our mid table position is that I know we are no world beaters, and there is no finance forthcoming to change that. I have supported NUFC for the guts of 40 years, and have travelled all over England with the Mags fans. Like any criticism, it has to be fair and measures. AS TDS said, there were people hoping to murder Pardew when he got 5th for not getting 4th, for goodness sake. sadly his position isnt untenable. He came mid table, and missed his targets. If you ran a company, would u sack a sales rep for hitting his annual target? Its no wonder the media are broadly supportive of him. I would rather a new manager, but there is too much dross out there and we KNOW Ashley would make a mess of the choice, as he has done with almost ALL his appointments.