The Strange Sending Off Of Shola Ameobi

Newcastle had two players sent off yesterday, and both were harsh decisions by referee Phil Dowd and we wouldn’t be too surprised if Newcastle appeal both the red cards, and certainly Shola’s red card.

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Liverpool v Newcastle United - Anfield

Shola Ameobi – in action yesterday

Shola was sent off for talking to the referee and questioning the second goal, and Paul Dummett was sent off for an innocuous foul on Luis Suarez after 87 minutes, and Suarez again fell to the ground as though he had been shot by a bullet – and some of this acting by these footballers these days has to stop.

This is what a disappointed and upset Shola said on the Newcastle web-site after yesterday’s game, which  could be the last of his career at Newcastle:

“You can’t make up the way I was sent off. I still don’t know why it happened,” “I was given a first yellow card for dissent, but for the second one I’m ready to take the restart when the referee has called me back.”

“He told me to stop showing dissent, so I told him that I was allowed to plead my case. I asked him ‘are you going to send me off for trying to plead my case for my team?’ and he said ‘yes’.”

“I’ve asked a question and been sent off for that. I’m dumbfounded by it.”  “People who know me know I don’t swear and that I am not abusive.”

“If this is my last game for Newcastle then it isn’t the way I would have liked to go out. I’m quite upset by it.”  “If it is my last game, I wanted to go out on a high and we were doing great for an hour.”

“I’m disappointed in myself for putting myself in that situation in the first place, but in the heat of the moment when decisions aren’t going your way you get frustrated.”

“I’ve apologised to my teammates and would like to apologise to the fans because they were here cheering every single one of us on.”

“Up until they scored their first goal, I thought we were well worth the lead,” “We stuck to the game plan we had and caused them problems.”

“We put a lot of effort in and so to come out on the wrong side of the result is quite frustrating.”

Shola had a good game for Newcastle yesterday, and to send him off the way the referee did was bizarre, and begs some explaining from Phil Dowd.

And Alan Pardew wasn’t too pleased with either sending off, as he said this after the game:

“I know Shola. He doesn’t swear. I saw the referee and said ‘I know Shola doesn’t swear so how angry could he possibly get?’ I don’t actually know how angry you can get if you don’t swear,” said Pardew.

“I think what happened was ‘If you carry on I’m going to send you off’ and maybe sarcastically Shola said ‘Are you going to send me off?’ And he did. That’s the explanation referee Phil Dowd gave me.

“Brendan said to me straight away about Dummett’s ‘that’s just a booking’. I agree with that. He’s just come on, the adrenaline is flowing.”

“His right leg which is not the natural leg comes through and makes it look worse than it was. It wasn’t a sending off and again I think he should have managed that better.”

It was a great first 60 minutes yesterday, as Newcastle looked a well-drilled side and were holding the strong Liverpool side, and most of our players were playing well, but we let ourselves down with the two goals, and it was poor marking from free kicks in both cases.

And then Phil Dowd made things worse with the two sending offs, but we’d be surprised if at least one of the red cards doesn’t get reversed on appeal.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 12, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Dowd is a perfect example of why no body respects the match officials
    Absolute joke

Ashley
    Take the PL money take the Cabaye money, you’ve got near on £100 mil
    Cut your losses and just leave, sell up now

• BuckLuck

May 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM

toonarmydownsouth
    “Ashley
    Take the PL money take the Cabaye money, you’ve got near on £100 mil
    Cut your losses and just leave, sell up now

Don’t worry about us, we will move in and rebuild just take your money and leave”

I’ll second that!

• Jail for Ashley

May 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I’ll third it

• Peter Beardsley

May 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I agree with Rodgers assessment on Pardue.
    This is what Keagan thinks of Pardews situation:

• TrustSean

May 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I’ll fourth it, so only 3 more now, and he might go! :'(

• Grafton83

May 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Is there any point appealing Sholas if he isn’t even going to be playing for us next year. Seems like it would be a waste of time unless he’s staying

• Average_Contents

May 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I’ll forth it

Is that even a word lol

Even if he did we all know he’ll still want his “debt” paid in full and the original cost of the club with inflation the fat kunt!

• WWSBRD

May 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM

toonarmydownsouth
    Drop in the ocean mate he won’t do one while he can suck more life out of the club

• Average_Contents

May 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Fifth it then :p

• toonarmydownsouth

May 12, 2014 at 10:21 AM

WWSBRD
    I know, wishful thinking, just thinking hypothetically how many fans would happily see him pocket the Cabaye money the PL money, any profit this season to clear his debt and sell up, even if meant hardly any strengthening this summer, we solely got shot of mashers

I’d be dancing in the streets mate!

• Jail for Ashley

May 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM

tads,
    I don’t think he’s going anywhere until he’s got all his money back and a lot more, I’d love to know where the 50M in revenue has gone, that adds up to 350M over seven years, he could well have had all his money back.

• Jail for Ashley

May 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM

KK, backing Pardew surprises me, I don’t think a lot of people realise how tied up in the whole sorry business Pardew is.

• catchy in norway

May 12, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I wish oh I wish pundits and other not involved with our club would stay out of our business ,
    none of them have a clue about what is going on at the club , they see the club is in a mid table position and think all must be good,
    the sad fact is I know they can see it, they just like to protect there own, I have never ever heard any manager say a fellow manager should be sacked , no matter what he has done, take the head butting incident , for me it was a stackable thing in its own right, it was an act of violence by a man who is meant to set an example to his own players and the millions who watch the game,

the man should be sacked for footballing reasons only, the man said judge me next season at the end of last year, well I see we have more points on the board but the football is worse than shocking, people might say we have passed the ball better this season, and I would say yes we have, side ways and backwards, keeping possesion of the ball, but we are and always have been very shy of the other teams box, we pose very little threat other than fast break aways,
    I’m 100% not against this tacktic, I fully agree with this if you are playing man c or a team that is better than you or a half decent team when your away from home, trouble is we play like this against everyone regardless ov where the game is,
    Sunderland home and away, they were bottom of the league , getting smashed by most teams , we hardly got a shot on target over the 2 games and lost to the better team,

he showed us last year that when he is losing it , he carnt seem to motivate the players , and he did it again this year, last year he had cabaye , he got help in jan with 5 good players and still struggled,
    Liverpool lost Suarez for a lot of the season , yet they found a way to play when he was not in the team , winning ,

then there is the guys excuses , simply setting a bad example to everyone under him, it seems ok to point the finger ,

these has to go for footballing reasons Alone,

he is not good enough, we will flirt with relegation with him next season ,

• toonarmydownsouth

May 12, 2014 at 10:31 AM

JFA
    I agree and am gutted about it, like I said just blindly hoping, can’t have another season of this sh1t it’s not good for your health!

• Average_Contents

May 12, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Not toon related but villa are officially up for sale, with a rather nice and honest statement from Lerner!

Imagine that from fatty? I can’t either

• Average_Contents

May 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Can anyone post that link with kk interview please I can’t seem to find it anywhere

• stuart no9

May 12, 2014 at 10:35 AM

i was at the KK evening on friday night when that video was made . KK was actually quite dignified towards ash and pardew . He stopped short of saying he liked him , but on the other hand laid blame for the mess with dennis wise and jiminez. He explained why the hypier and modric deals fell through which had nothing to with ashley , however , Ashley did appoint them so in effect he is to blame. But a great night it was . i was lucky enough to get a table beside the stage . quality

• The next Mike Williamson

May 12, 2014 at 10:36 AM

next season we’ll hear the excuse the new players are taking time to bed in

• Ibizatoon

May 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Stuart…That is all well and good as far as Keegans experience with the club went, but that was a few years ago and neither Wise nor jiminez remain, so surely that means we should be looking solely to one man, the only one who still remains from that time.

• The next Mike Williamson

May 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM

The new signings if Pardew gets his way: Delph, Tompkins, Cattermole, Nobel, Colback, Bradley Johnson, Sidwell, and Pardews main target from last season Darren Bent. Thank god the board usually veto him.

• Jail for Ashley

May 12, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Stuart,
    In all fairness that was five years ago, it’s hardly getting any better.

• Average_Contents

May 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Gallagher has agreed the second sending off wasn’t a red card but also said shola must of deserved it as referees give players TOO much leeway sometimes!

I’m sorry but Phil “the sun” dowd is as up himself as they come! You’ve only got to see the way he snarls at players when they speak to him and orders them away with a look of disdain and a flick of his chubby arms! It’s all about MEEEEEE, the world revolves around MEEEEEE, I’m going to be the centre of attention because I can!

I’ve always hated the kunt and now I’d happily watch him suffer a horrific death! Too far? Probably but I nearly smashed my telly up along with my dining table, kitchen door and back door whilst going for a ciggy!

• Bearsize

May 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Hey guys havn’t posted anything for a long time due to issues with this site on my phone but thought i might point this out. The last financial year said we made a 10 mill profit but the year before we spent 24 mill on 6 senior players and still made a 1 mill profit. My question is this, do we assume that there is at least 24 million in the kitty before we add the 35m extra tv money, the 20m cabaye cash and the 10 mill profit. Its just because we havn’t bought anyone for two windows there must be some money already floating around?

• ToonDarnSarf

May 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Why do some of you keep coming back and whinging about the money side of things??? You clearly haven’t read the accounts or can’t understand the details of it.

These simply should not be issues so I really wish fans would stop wasting energy talking about the finances like Ashley is sucking the money out of the club. THIS IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

If only fans could actually unite and focus on the actual issues at our club, then we might actually help change things for the better. Even if that was just to get rid of the infighting, that would be wonderful, even better if we could unite to persuade Ashley to make some positive changes!

• lesh

May 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Stuart..

I must say when Keegan asked the audience to ‘Trust me’ when he said the fans would get their club back, I took hope.

Those two words reminded me of when he faced angry fans on the sale of Andy Cole. Remember, Shearer arrived from Blackburn!

It’d be nice to think that Keegan’s involved with a consortium set up to buy Ashley out.

We can but live in hope.

• Average_Contents

May 12, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Good point bearsize

Probably not mate because as pardspew will say as he’s said before “if we spend we’ll be in the red” blah blah we can’t compete blah blah Southampton blah blah fatty is a god blah blah Southampton blah blah 😉

• ToonDarnSarf

May 12, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Bearsize

Please don’t look at it as simplistically as that with the figures. We don’t know the exact details with all of the expenditure such as wages, agent’s fees, bonuses, signing on fees etc. until the next accounts come out and then it requires some effort to extrapolate the figures for easy digestion. Something most people don’t have the patience for…

I think it’s safe to say that we will have money to spend though. Last summer a lot of clubs speculatively spent the extra TV money that they just received as they felt they needed to to ensure they stayed in the PL. We didn’t, so with Cabaye going too, we must assume we have the money to sign several players.

Personally, I don’t care how much the transfer fees are, just as long as enough first team players are brought in.

• mag

May 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Jail, and you know all the ins and outs of the club? All you do is moan and pick arguments with people who are far more interesting than the crap that you spout.

• TurkishFan101

May 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM

@TDS

You must love bending over for your pal Mikey.

Over £1b of increased valued and surpassing Richard Branson.

Include the money from last 2 windows and Cabaye money, and double money from TV deal.

He easily made over £100m.

Continue taking it from Mikey, someday he will reward you as his puppet like Pardew.

Not too far away now, fly along to his fat nest.

• Bearsize

May 12, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I didnt whinge, i asked

• lesh

May 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Tds, speaking of money, what about the Carroll money Ashley pocketed?

There now, that should get the financial whizz kids stirred up again!

😉

• Average_Contents

May 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Real issues? Are you for real? No your just a “bot” it’s pretty clear for all to see we haven’t bought a player for over a year and spent fcukall apart from loan fee’s but let’s all band together and protest for more communication aye! Your a deluded individual and every post of yours shall no longer warrant a response from me!

• tequilamag

May 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM

• ToonDarnSarf

May 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Bearsize

The whinging wasn’t directed at you mate. Sorry, that was just coincidental timing! I was posting due to other people earlier on…

• mag

May 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Pardew is working for a money obsessed meglamaniac, and any other manager would be treated the same way as Pardew.

• stuart no9

May 12, 2014 at 10:55 AM

i am not defending ashley , just stating a fact that ashley employed them both to recruit players. They didnt do their jobs and we lost 2 decent players. Ofcourse Ashly has to go , but i thought keegan would have been a bit more critical towards ashley and pardew . On pardew , he said he was doing a decent job with the tools he has , i disagree. but, managers tend to have a code of loyalty towards each other . Its a hard job and no one is exempt from the sack ( pardew excluded) so its probably a goldden rule to refrain from critising a fellow manager if he is not present to argue his side , regardless of what they actually think of each other

• Bearsize

May 12, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Cheers tds
    Thats made things a bit clearer for me, lets just hope this new training complex doesn’t cost 60mill

• ToonDarnSarf

May 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM

TurkishFan101

I don’t care how much Mike Ashley earns via SD and other sources. To me, that has nothing to do with NUFC.

Mike Ashley doesn’t appear to have made any money from NUFC at all! Sure, he’s using some of the advertising space for SD (which is pretty damn tacky) and says that’s in exchange for not charging interest on the loan he’s provided.

The money goes into the club, it’s as simple as that. He can’t just take it out without it going into the accounts.

• mag

May 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Pardew would probably love to sign top class players, but tight wad blocks it!

• catchy in norway

May 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I’m not worried how the owner treats the manager ,
    I want to see a manager that looks after the players , not hangs them out to dry,

win as a team , lose as a team,

pardew will think he is fully justified treating HBA and marv the way he does , because Jose treats his players the same way, mata gone , expect hazard to be next , Chelsea will turn on their hero soon , wait and see ,

1 2 3 5