Newcastle Player Gets Red Card Rescinded

News coming through that Newcastle’s Paul Dummett has had his red card rescinded, after the Tyneside club appealed the red card he got for a rather innocuous tackle on Luis Suarez after 87 minutes on Saturday at Liverpool.

paul dummett send off liverpool

Paul Dummett – disconsolate at being sent off
And we can only think that referee Phil Dowd must have been mesmerized with the Uruguayan International’s acting performance, as he writhed around on the pitch following the tackle – only to get up and play on once the red card had been given.

Newcastle had claimed wrongful dismissal, and the claim was upheld following an Independent Regulatory Commission hearing today, and Dummett simply mis-timed his tackle, having only been on the field for five minutes.

That’s good news for Newcastle, and now Paul will not be suspended at the start of next season – and it would have been a three match ban, since it was a straight red card.

Good news for Paul and good news for Newcastle.

• JackButler

May 13, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Dowd should be given a three game ban………………..or better yet make that a lifetime ban as he’s without a doubt the most pitiful ref to ever step on to a Premier League pitch

• Tayls

May 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Well there’s a first winkwink

• Tayls

May 13, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Damnit haha

• Tayls

May 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM

JB, your’e right his performance was woeful. They should have the referees interviewed or do something to encourage better performances from referees. I genuinely believe some refs (Dowd for one given the number of cards he dishes out) have no idea they are doing a poor job.

• JackButler

May 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Tayls

As a Ref he love’s being centre stage and making the game all about him, but to be fair to the man he is consistent as he’s always useless

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 13, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Dowd is a cock. He is possibly the most self obsessed ref going. If he isn’t centre of attention he is guaranteed to make a decision that makes sure he is.

• GeordieTwo

May 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Alain Perdue. A broken man for a broken plan.

• JackButler

May 13, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Gosling expected to sign for Bournemouth when his contract expires on July 1st

• GeordieTwo

May 13, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Better go earn my keep mates.

• santonthenewmaldini

May 13, 2014 at 6:57 PM

So it should be tackle was not even a YELLOW!!! Suarez was diving all over the place in that second half and Dowd was giving Liverpool every 50/50 !

The pace that Dummett and him were going at made it look bad but Suarez had actually lost control of the ball

That’s a thing I noticed this season when we played the “top” teams they don’t half dive about winning free kicks and fouling our players all the time City done it to us at St Jame’s when we were all over them , Arsenal cynically fouled us and so did Everton we need to learn to do the dirty tricks as well as learn to play decent football!!!

A new manager would sort everything out !!!

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 13, 2014 at 6:57 PM

GeordieTwo,
    There have been occasional vocal protests, but nothing on the scale of the Liverpool ones. They also did it consistently. Our vocal protests have been on and off, and only in the last few games has it really stepped up.

Can you come up with a boycott that has forced a sale? Either way, fans have to settle in for the long haul whatever they decide. Vocal and still attend what is their passion, or stop going for someone else to step in for lower ticket prices and have another voice unheard?

There isn’t really a wrong or right to how to protest, and those boycotting may be right, and I’m willing to admit I got it wrong if I have.

• Online Guy

May 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM

If you take away the goals that Liverpool have scored from free kick’s in and around the box… and penalty’s ..almost always illegally obtained through diving ..where do you think they would be position wise in the prem? .

13 -14 pens? and countless goal’s from dead ball’s, most as a result of going down if you sneezed near them ..check it out ..! con men ..Suarez is a disgrace ..

A culture of diving at Liverpool Football club , truth be told

I cant fathom why you would want to cheat to win .. Victory is false and hollow ..and Liverpool are the most dishonest cheating bunch I have witnessed in many a season.

False position…Fan’s in denial.

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Lil,
    We all are entitled to opinions but I think claiming we’ve progressed since being promoted considering our league positions and subsequent collapse this season is a wind up, that is my opinion.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 13, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Santon,
    It was a stupid challenge from the kid. He had no chance of winning the ball, and he lifted both feet after the challenge. I don’t think it was a red card, but it was the sort of challenge I’d expect from someone who realises they can’t cut it against that opposition. A leveller as one of my old managers use to say.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:01 PM

GeordieTwo

I drafted a message on why you’re talking complete crap but then IE crashed and I lost it. I can’t be bothered to put the stats here again. But basically, check the 3 seasons before Ashley joined and compare us to Everton. They finished well above us for 2 seasons and just below us in the third. The average points total for us over those 3 seasons…48.33 points. We scored 49 this year. Yet someone this was a terrible season?

And Everton’s revenue? Pretty much the same as ours for the last few years, in fact I think it was slightly above ours last time around.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 13, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Phil Dowd
    Absolute Disgrace and poor excuse for an official

With the sort of ridiculous incorrect and ludicrous decisions he was making, not just on Sunday but all season, it’s no wonder players have no respect for officials

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:03 PM

JfA

And I thought we were getting along so well…

So, you think we’re in the same situation as when we got promoted? You think our squad is as good right? We finished in 5th and now we’ve finished a solid 10th. We got 3 more points this year than the first season back in the PL and yet you believe we’ve gone backwards this season and that it was a disaster…

Of course we’ve progressed! Just that the second half of this season was a pathetic collapse.

• kevymartins

May 13, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Where is that ejit that kept saying to me on sunday it was a straight red no question?

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:05 PM

JfA

And calling me a WUM just because I think we’ve progressed is a little bit silly

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Lilongwe

Thanks for support…scrolling through the last page after I had to go out for a bit!

I admit, sometimes I get a bit emotive as I’m passionate about this club and I don’t like the bashing that our own fans give us (that’s a mackem’s job!) I don’t like to see solid servants like Shola given stick from our own fans and I want to see us give the lads the most support possible on match day to give them that extra few percent to perform for our club.

I don’t believe Ashley wants to do much more than establish us as a solid top 8 club. The investment and the effort to get us into the top 6 and beyond is massive but if we’re a solid top 8 club then it makes us a lot more attractive for an ambitious owner to come in and bring an ambitious manager in too.

• stripes1009

May 13, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Let’s look at this another way, Phil Dowd’s actions could have helped Liverpool had Man City been losing. For 60 mins of this game our boys were on top and then the ref intervened…….could have been a bad day for city!!!!!!!! And like others have said, how does the ref get punished for his incompetence.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Lilongwe

Let Ashley set the groundwork for someone else to come in and claim the glory…

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Jail,
    I don’t think you can call it a wind up, disagree, most definitely, and I’m there disagreeing with you. I’m not 100% sure how 11th, 5th, 16th, 10th is progression either. But I wouldn’t call it a wind up.

Playing devil’s advocate, 11th is decent for newly promoted. 5th, as most on here agree was over achieving at the time. This makes t complicated because on reality we should have probably been 7/8/9th. So 16th the next season , given Europe and the 5th balances out, then 10th, back on track to be top 7/8 next year.

I don’t believe it, but I don’t see people that have do think like that as winding up. I also don’t see how we will progress under Ashley, but as I pointed out earlier Everton fans had the same issues with Kenwright when Ashley took per, and now they are happy with him. Again, I don’t think Ashley will turn out the same way, but that doesn’t make those that do WUM’s.

• Online Guy

May 13, 2014 at 7:12 PM

ToonDarnSarf

Shola been a solid servant you say ?

So has the tea lady ..at least she comes up with the tea .

• JackButler

May 13, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I don’t see how bouncing up and down the league can be seen as progression?

Progression is consistently moving in one direction and not what we’ve been doing

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:14 PM

GeordieTwo

Just seen your apology so accepted.

I don’t support everything that Ashley does, in fact I’ve said many times that I don’t like most things. I haven’t been even talking about Ashley today really, I’ve been talking about how things aren’t as bad as people perceive and how thoughts about how we should finish above Liverpool are simply ridiculous. We CAN finish above Liverpool but it would require a fantastic performance from all at the club and probably a poor season from Liverpool. Like when we finished 5th.

Ludicrous hirings from Ashley, totally agree, misleading the supporters, that too. Lying in court? Don’t get that…and don’t get what it has to do with NUFC.

But things still aren’t as bad as people make out and under the previous owner, there are no guarantees that things would be any better…

• santonthenewmaldini

May 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM

@Online Guy

I dont approve of it but every team does it against us so we need to learn to play dirty a bit more every big team does it tactical fouls to stop you getting up the pitch

Another thing that has to be improved upon is set pieces under Pardew we cant score from them or defend against them we always seem to concede similar types of goals every season I just knew the 2nd Gerard stood over both free kicks it was going in the back of the net Debuchy and Krul were all over the place for both of the goals

Its almost like teams know our set pieces are awful so would rather foul us cause they know we will probably not do anything with the set piece anyway

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Lilongwe

Post 66 on the last page too. Perfect and sums things up very well.

I want Ashley to get stick for the things he really deserves stick for. Unite the fans in demanding changes in the areas that really should be changed rather than banging on about silly things that either aren’t Ashley’s fault or really aren’t major issues.

Very sensible.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM

TDS,
    I disagree with a lot you post, but I can see your logic. We all get emotional about it because we all love the club. It is part of the reason we discuss(?) it on here so much. I just hate the fact if people disagree they are mackems/WUMs/Trolls etc.

• JackButler

May 13, 2014 at 7:17 PM

TDS

How can you say that things are not as bad as people make out?

Only two club’s out of the 92 in the league’s have worse form than us, Pardew has broken just about every single record as our manager, head butt’s a player, our reserve team manager is sacked for hitting a youth player, Ashley refuses to spend anything and we are now looking at around THIRTEEN players leaving the club this summer.

Things not as bad as people are making out?????????????????

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Online Guy

Shola has put his international ambitions on standby and put his health at risk to play for this club when we needed him. Remember when he put off a hip operation when SBR asked him to play on because we had injuries? I do. Remember when he didn’t go to the African Cup of Nations because we needed him to stay with NUFC? I do.

He deserves as much respect as Harper does.

• Online Guy

May 13, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Sports dicrect news…Pardew for at least another year , Carlisle/Gateshead/Hartlepool /Darlington.. here I come.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Lilongwe

We don’t have to agree to respect each other’s opinions.

I think a lot of my comments get twisted around by other people which in turn clouds what people think I’m actually saying. The amount of times someone has attacked me in response to a dumb post from someone else reacting to something I haven’t even said is insane!

What did you say Lilongwe?? Sunderland have always been a bigger club?!

😉

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:21 PM

JackButler

Ok…you just list the negatives…should I list the positives to counteract your list? Boooring…

• JackButler

May 13, 2014 at 7:22 PM

TDS

Please do

• Jail for Ashley

May 13, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I don’t see how calling someone a wind up merchant is a capital offence !

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 13, 2014 at 7:26 PM

You can knock Shola’s ability, cause at the end of the day he has never been anything better than a back up. But let’s face it, there are plenty of strikers who have made decent premier league careers who would also have been back up if they were behind Shearer, Martins,Owen, Ba, Cisse, Bellamy, Kluivert. He has also played through a number of painkilling injections, given up the opportunity of winning an international tournament, worn protective masks just because we needed him to.

Yeah, Shola has earned a living and more at the club, because every manager with the possible exception of Keegan, wanted him here – including Sir Bobby.

Shola deserves our best wishes for his future career.

• Online Guy

May 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

ToonDarnSarf

I respect Shola as a decent bloke, been brought up the right way and all that ..but..

.My heart Bleed’s for him and his
    £25 thousand pounds per week salary.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM

OK…

We’ve been back in the Premier League for 4 seasons now and managed a Europa League campaign, we finished in the top 10, our finances are solid, we have several top players who are at or yet to reach their peak, we have some promising youngsters (although that always seems to be the case), we have money to spend this summer and because we’re NUFC (please read SBR’s quote on this page).

None of that is amazing (apart from the last bit) but it is good, so overall things are ok or not quite ok…maybe 4 out of 10. So not that bad. I get the impression that some fans want every season to be a 7 or 8 out of 10 or they’re not happy.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Jail,
    It isn’t. Just pointless when it comes to discussing differing opinions on football.

1 2 3 7