The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Ground Expansion Unlikely At St. James’ Park

10:57 pm, Wednesday, May 14th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 92 Comments

One of the questions that was raised at the Fan Forum meeting on Monday night was about the expansion of St. James’ Park, and there had been some plans in place when Freddy Shepherd was Chairman to potentially expand the ground to a capacity of around 60,000.

Soccer - England World Cup Bid 2018 Host Stadiums

St. James’ Park

There was an initial question on this and then a follow up question.

===================

Document question: Can you explain the position concerning the sale of an asset in terms of the land to the rear of the Gallowgate End and the message that it sends to supporters in terms of the club’s ambition or lack of, concerning opportunities for ground expansion in the future. The current board of Newcastle United are mere custodians of a famous and historic football club and have a duty of care to ensure that their actions do not cause damage to future ambitions.

Answer: The club confirmed that it is public knowledge that the land located beyond Strawberry Place next to St. James’ Metro station is up for sale and confirmed there are two interested parties, which it could not name due to commercial sensitivities. The board stated that the land was sold to a joint venture (the club and American media group, MGM) in 2004 for a casino site and that MA had purchased the land back in 2008 once the casino plan had been scrapped to bring it back into ‘group ownership’, not specifically ‘club ownership’.

Follow-up question: “Would it inhibit your ability to expand the ground?”

The board outlined that it was a potential option but not its only option. It was explained that the club had not pursued expanding onto the site as it did not make commercial sense to outlay approximately £30M – £40M to expand for the sake of an extra 6,000 – 8,000 seats. It was also explained that the club did not own the road between St. James’ Park stadium and the land (Strawberry Place) and would have to purchase the road in order to fully expand the Gallowgate End.
The board stated that building a hotel or similar development on the land would require a huge cost outlay.

===================

It seems that the cost value analysis doesn’t support any ground expansion, but it never would, and it’s a case of building and expanding St. James’ Park, so that it remains an iconic football stadium in Europe.

We’d still like to see the ground expanded to 60,000, and there has to be a way to get that done, and it’s what Liverpool will be doing with Anfield, under their American owners.

The plans are to upgrade Anfield and it will cost around £230M to expand the ground from the current capacity of 45,522, and John Henry and his directors have wanted to expand the ground for quite some time.

That’s not much of a business case either – to spend £230M to increase the ground by just 15,000 – but that’s not what it’s all based on at Liverpool and other top European clubs.

It’s that the Liverpool owners are much more ambitious than Mike Ashley – and they want the very best for Liverpool Football Club and their supporters.

Mike Ashley just doesn’t seem to understand that everything in this world – including football – is not always based on a business case and money.

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Other News · St. James' Park

92 responses so far ↓

• 1 welshgeordie9 // May 14, 2014 at 11:02 PM

i wish people on here stop moaning about Pardew, he’s here for another season at least, deal with it, there’s nothing we can do about it, he’s not going anywhere with Ashley in charge, and to be honest i don’t think Ashley gives two flying ducks what we think of him, for now just support the players next season.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // May 14, 2014 at 11:07 PM

What was TDSarf gloating about earlier that the club had sold the land, basically Mashers has bought the joint venture out after telling them he’ll never sell and put it back up for sale when he’s realised he’s going to run us into the ground.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // May 14, 2014 at 11:12 PM

welshgeordie9,
    How very wrong you are, there’s a lot people can do about it and I think they let him know against your lot the other week !

• 4 santonthenewmaldini // May 14, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Anyone got a link to the full document from the fans meeting? Not that it answered anything new that we did not already know !

• 5 welshgeordie9 // May 14, 2014 at 11:20 PM

3Jail for Ashley // May 14, 2014 at 11:12 PM

What do you mean my lot, whatever they have done it’s not working because surprise surprise they are still at the club

• 6 expatmag // May 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM

G/Day from Oz guys

Not been on for a while for obvious reasons. I have found following this club of ours totally depressing. Staying up into the small hours of the night to watch this crap no longer appeals

I hope Gateshead make it up this weekend and I strongly urge all you NUFC supporters to change your allegisnce to the Heed. Much more ambition shown there.

• 7 expatmag // May 14, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Anybody heard from that TUFF lad recently

• 8 Jail for Ashley // May 14, 2014 at 11:40 PM

expat,
    No longer in China so not on in the middle of the day anymore, any news of us in the Daily Telegraph ?

• 9 Jail for Ashley // May 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM

welsh,
    Google it ?

• 10 expatmag // May 14, 2014 at 11:44 PM

JFA

Good to hear from you. Where are you now? I guess I will be one of the lucky ones in late June early July when I will be watching the world cup from a 5 star resort in Fiji…..LOL.

With regards to the toon, until any proven improvement, I am following the HEED being a former Low Fell lad.

• 11 beermonkey // May 14, 2014 at 11:49 PM

santonthenewmaldini

its on the clubs website

• 12 Mister Tuff // May 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM

expat – still lurking about -what’s this about Fiji.

• 13 beermonkey // May 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM

it will be interesting to what the groups next step will be

although I cant believe people actually believed ash would sack pardew, why sack him Ashley deals in the bottom line pards and the team made there minimum of 10th and they got there bonuses

for me I have always had more of a problem with pards and our play
    the owner can always improve
    but as we can see from the fans forum the clubs lack of desire ambition is there for all to read
    I think its more important to get Ashley out as the rest will all fall

football win lose or draw is always joy the banter and everything that goes with it
    its getting the point where being a toon fan is joyless

• 14 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM

For what its worth, here is my take on things at the club:

Players

Shola, De Jong, Gosling, Newton, Vukic, Tavernier definitely gone with no fees coming in but around 70K per week in salary savings.

The French revolution will be over with Ben Arfa, Debuchy, Marveaux and Obertan sold and we could get 20m for them in total and salary savings of about 170K per week.

I think Campbell and Abeid will be retained and I think we would have trouble moving Jonas on so he will return too. Raylor will be like “a new signing” in Pardews words.

As Remy has left too, a further 80K per week in salary costs is freed up.

That little lot will save us 330K in salary costs per week, enough to get at least 6 new decent players without extending his budget too far.

The 20m raised from those sales plus the 20m from Cabaye sale should see Pardew have enough money to bring in decent players without having to touch the additional TV money, in Ashley’s eyes.

I am expecting the club to raid the free transfer market too with Gomis from Lyon and Hunt from Werder Bremen signed up quickly

I see Rudiger from Stuttgart has made his debut for Germany recently and he is apparently going cheap so he could also come in.

I am also hoping for some quality wide men but they are few and far between.

• 15 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 12:12 AM

TUFF

lurking about……LOL

Reminds me a bit of that old Frankie Howerd comedy, Up Pompeii. I think his character was Lurchio.

Yes. Fiji. Taking the girls over to Outriggers resort in Fiji for a break during the world cup. We got a 2 bedroom Bure right on the beach so while the girls are living it up in the pool, I will hopefully be allowed in the bar to watch the world cup and Australia walloping the Spaniards and the Dutch…..LOL

• 16 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Well lad’s we are now officially finished as a Football Club ..Pardew is even being told to put out weakened sides in the cup competitions, and that is a direct instruction from Ashley ..

We wont win the cup and we really wont win the league, ..why do we exist then ?

Why is his policy at a Football Club, one of the biggest and proudest in Europe, not to win, or try to win anything? We are just a commercial venture now .

This is scandalous and for all you people who attend St’James park now ..well you all need your bloody heads examined ..throw what you like at me but if you attend any game now or stick with your season ticket you are just helping the Sh*thouse that owns our club ..what a selfish Bas*tard he is .

I will never go back and any of you supporters attend then you have got to be brain dead. Bring it on .

Ashley is actually now taking the P*ss and its retribution and spiteful vengeance from the Bas*ard.

And how anyone can look at Alan Pardew and take him serious is beyond me now ..

He is actually not going to act as a Football manager ..he has been told to put out weakened teams and not to bother in the cup competition’s . Ashley’s puppet

If I was gaffa at any level and was told that ..I would walk ..my pride would not let me stay.

Has Pardew got no pride ?

I beg you Ashley, sell up … We detest you in our droves.

What a selfish Greedy Man you are Ashley ..Owning a Football club ,……….. for all the wrong reasons.

• 17 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM

How can someone who lives in the commercial world dictate to a football manager that a football club will not be allowed to compete or even try to win a football trophy ?

How the F*ck can that be right

Yu lot who attend the games want your heads looking at ..lets bring the Bast*rd down.

• 18 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 12:24 AM

OLD GIT

I am afraid I have to agree with you and if the majority of supporters read this latest news coupled with the anticipated lack of quality signings, then I can see no other option for these supporters to leave in their droves.

It is clear to all and sundry that ambition, success and entertainment is bottom of the list of aims for this owner and manager and therefore, why should hard working men and women waste their hard earned cash on a product that doesn’t deliver.

• 19 Mister Tuff // May 15, 2014 at 12:28 AM

expat – very nice going to Fiji. Who are your second team in the WC – as your lot will get knocked out pretty quick.
    Holiday tip -for your visit to Fiji – purchase a nice cool Hawaiian Shirt – you know the type -with palm trees printed on it. Much better than you normal holiday attire of an old string vest. The Rab. C. Nesbitt is not cool anymore.

• 20 MacToon // May 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM

I’ll second that Online Guy.

6% haven’t renewed their season tickets, I find that figure impossible to believe but we will find out at our first home game of the season. I wonder how many cheap/discounted tickets will be available this season, my guess – 10’s of thousands.

• 21 Mister Tuff // May 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM

last sentence should read Rab C Nesbitt look…….

• 22 MacToon // May 15, 2014 at 12:33 AM

expat, who are you calling an Old Git, can’t see where he’s posted….

• 23 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 12:33 AM

I have an idea which might hurt Ashley but would need a coordinated effort by supporters of NUST and MAOC groups.

Whilst demonstrations and walk outs at games are admirable and such demonstration should be increased next season, what about trying to hit Ashley where it really hurts with demonstrations.

Not just at NUFC games but what about outside Sports Direct Stores in the North East.

If a coordinated approach could be organised with secretive meetings with the press, eg NCJ and Tyne Tees, BBC etc where negotiations on a definite time and place could be agreed, then think of the national coverage this could bring and how much it would embarrass Ashley nationwide.

Just a thought.

If CIARAN is around, maybe he could discuss this with his relevant fan groups.

• 24 Bleemo // May 15, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Certainly stadium expansions are the least of our problems. I do agree with the basic sentiment that they are a luxury thing and not really worth the money. If it costs £30-£40m to expand by 6000-8000 I don’t think it is worth it. we already have a 52kish seater we cannot fill and that is already very high. The facility side of things I sort of agree with what they are doing, increasing the quality of the training facilities is far more important in terms of effecting the players performance.

• 25 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Sorry, I meant ONLINE GUY.

Still pretty early in the morning here in Melbourne…..LOL

• 26 MacToon // May 15, 2014 at 12:36 AM

lmao, I thought that was who you meant …… as for protests, doesn’t matter how many good ideas you have, as long as Ashley’s has the supporters money in his pocket he wont care what happens.

• 27 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 12:38 AM

TUFF

Are you still wearing socks with your sandals?……LOL

My attire is befitting of the modern day sex symbol visiting the south pacific islands and dancing the hola hola with those island girls in the grass skirts and coconut shell bras

• 28 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM

MACTOON

I agree to a certain extent but mostly, he would hate the bad publicity generated too

• 29 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 12:42 AM

expat

For the club to put out a statement saying we would not be paying much attention to any of the cup competitions and the manager will be putting out weakened teams as the prem league status is the priority ..

Well its just got to be nastiness and a wicked spiteful attack on the fans.

Remember he moved the singing section ..He knows together we are powerful, and the lads in the Leazes end told him how it was and how we felt ..he soon moved them out ..divide and conquer .. what a spiteful childish man. It was his instruction ..Childish

You know now Ashley just wants the ground to be full of people who just go for the drink and the food now ..the football is only secondary to his wishes, .
    52 thousand card carrying foodies who don’t care to much for football ..he would love that.

He’s holding on to our time and our football club for all the wrong reasons ..now lets get really active and blow him out ..

Spiteful way to run a football club ..win nothing just exist as a commercial advertising hoarding for sports direct ..and if you protest at the ground ? you will be thrown out into the street on your arse. that’s how much this man respect’s you as a fan.

Chrisakes we have to get him out!. Can any of you see what he’s doing ?

• 30 beermonkey // May 15, 2014 at 12:44 AM

expatmag

how is good perceived over there does the press keep an eye on him

• 31 MacToon // May 15, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Expat, are you aware his tat shop has been on BBC’s watchdog tonight regarding adding items to people online orders without them asking.
    I wonder how much publicity like this actually effects someone worth over £3 billion.

• 32 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Expat @ 22 Im up for some of that ..In fact I will fill my tractor with sh*t and spray the shop front if you club together and pay the clean up bill @ 2k !

Hey expat, not so much of the old ..Eh ? haha.

• 33 Black and White with an army lol // May 15, 2014 at 12:49 AM

iv’e heard rumours that MA is giving AP 10 million to improve the squad can anyone verify this?

• 34 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 12:50 AM

ONLINE

I think we all can see what he is doing and I think that if there is not a remarkable change of heart by him and his management team during the summer towards player recruitment in particular and the amount spent, then the demonstrations at the Cardiff game could and should be just the tip of the iceberg.

If, and it is a big if, that there is a vast amount of supporters throwing in their season tickets and attendance at games is drastically reduced allied with my idea detailed above of hitting his “first love” with a corrdinated, organised and sustained advertised number of demonstrations, then his hand might be forced.

We have the supporters groups up and going and I have to say that these meetings between NUST and the club management seem to be useless and fruitless so directions need to be changed and changed quickly in order to embarrass this owner into submission.

• 35 Mister Tuff // May 15, 2014 at 12:52 AM

Mactoon – don’t be offended by expat, he’ll have made an honest mistake – probably been on the “sauce” already. He used to live in the Heed many years ago before he was transported to the colonies for crimes. Then he used to drink Babycham and pink gins – he’s probably migrated onto the sherry decanter now.

• 36 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 12:52 AM

If everyone followed the lead outside of this blog ..the ground would be empty next season first game ..how long do you think Ashley would survive the shame ?

He would be back down the smoke faster than a whore’s draws..Selling up.

• 37 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM

BEERMONKEY

The press coverage of football is second rate here as Aussie rules and rugby league far outweigh the coverage of soccer.

However, they seem to think he plays for Dundee United and he is looked upon more as an up and comer rather than a player that will make an immediate impact in the socceroos squad.

• 38 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 12:55 AM

I believe ashley has banned NUST ! ..true ? if true it just shows he’s a dictator and spiteful and cannot face the truth.

• 39 MacToon // May 15, 2014 at 12:57 AM

Mr T, I’m not offended at all mate and it was OG he mistakenly called an Old Git ;-)
    Socks with sandals though, now that is a no-no ha ha.

• 40 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM

MACTOON

Unfortunately, living in the lucky country, I am not privy to the BBC TV programs.

ONLINE

My sincere apologies, old man…….LOL

TUFF

I have progressed to a nice bouquet of aussie red now but I am still partial to the odd 12 year old malt.

You still on the broon???????

I think Australia will get as far as England, mate. Who is your second team in the latter stages?

I have a fondness for Belgium doing well

• 41 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 1:02 AM

TUFF

Just to let you know that I might be back in blight next year for a couple of weeks. I may have to go to Germany for a few days first. You got a spare bed for me at your place?

• 42 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Expat mag . I got a barn and some fresh straw acoming..

• 43 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 1:05 AM

off to bed lads ,,raging ….

• 44 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 1:06 AM

ONLINE

Take a couple of pigs along too. Paint “Mike” on the back of one, “Ashley” on the back of the other and a banner saying he needs to go to the gyms hoe is buying………LOL

• 45 Mister Tuff // May 15, 2014 at 1:10 AM

expat -Belgium have some decent individuals -but not sure they are up to the big competition stage – do not like Fellaini -elbowing scumbag.
    Haven’t got a second team -will wait to see who is doing what -like to see underdog teams playing a fresh honest game.

• 46 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 1:12 AM

Expat

• 47 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 1:14 AM

TUFF

I suppose Brazil will be everyones favourites but I really hope Uruguay get knocked out early. Hate Suarerz.

Maybe Nigeria, if Shola gets a run or Ivory Coast.

• 48 Mister Tuff // May 15, 2014 at 1:15 AM

expat -spare room is full of materials for this years diy projects. The dragon has banned this years holis and I’m under orders to get the jobs done. This year no chance -ok next year.

• 49 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Mactoon …..Tuff….. expat

• 50 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 1:27 AM

• 51 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 1:28 AM

TUFF

Probably October 2015. I have to go to Germany for an official memorial opening. This will be big as it relates to Dad’s plane shot down during the war. The germans are erecting a monument made from the remains of the plane and dedicating it as a tribute to the crew.

The local historical society is trying to get the relatives of the crew together for the official opening. So far, there is 3 of us going, the others from Canada and it will be a newsworthy item both in Canada and England, as well as Germany, of course

• 52 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 1:30 AM

ONLINE

Is that you on those videos?

• 53 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Expat shhh..I’m saying nowt !

• 54 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 1:36 AM

ONLINE

If it is, I admire your foresight and hope you are attracting support.

I don’t see much changing next season but what really astounds me is that at the forum the other night, the board admitted their stance on the cups and midtable mediocrity and you would think that knowing the feeling throughout the club support at present, especially the return of season tickets, they would have approached this differently.

It smacks of board suicide to me and clear lack of respect to the clubs customers. I just hope the supporter reaction to this really hits home.

• 55 ochytoon // May 15, 2014 at 1:37 AM

I enjoy The True Geordie’s videos. He tells it like it is and he’s clearly passionate about the club. Feel your pain brother.

• 56 Online Guy // May 15, 2014 at 1:49 AM

Its not me lads he’s a bro.

• 57 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 1:51 AM

ONLINE

No worries. Tell him he has support in Australia

• 58 Mister Tuff // May 15, 2014 at 1:57 AM

OG -already viewed those videos -Man united manager was a good one. Anyway that is me off to the pit.
    Last thought ref the 60 million rumour -never seen the Toon act so quick to deny something. If the pot was going to over 60 million they would have said nothing about it.
    So it’s my guess the summer pot is going to be well short of 60 million.
    If they spend 15 -20 million they’ll be given it large thinking that it will buy off the fans for another season -if so – they might have miscalculated and become oblivious to the brewing storm.

• 59 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 2:01 AM

TUFF

Blatant devious mismanagement and just another case of taking a ride on the supporters back.

Time for Change etc. need to ramp up the protests right throughout the summer, if the money is not seen to be spent.

I suppose all we can hope for is a host of freebies, cheapies and loans to beef up the squad. These players will be hopefuls and mercenaries and that’s probably the best we could look forward too.

I suspect our main men will be sold off too

• 60 Novocastrian66 // May 15, 2014 at 2:16 AM

Expanding St James’s beyond its current capacity is a non starter. John Hall knew this and that’s why he wanted to relocate and he met a boat load of opposition, mainly from conservationists and the like but also from traditionalists within the fan base.
    I agree with the club’s stance on this matter.

• 61 expatmag // May 15, 2014 at 2:17 AM

On the money side of things, we need to look at the following:

Last years profit…………………….10 million
    Wonga sponsorship this year……8 million
    Cabaye transfer fee………………..20 million
    Additional Sky money……………30 million
    Possible player sale (est)…………20 million
    Salary savings from outgoing…..17 million
    Total…………………………………….105 million

I am basing the player sales on Debuchy, Ben Arfa, Marveaux and Obertan and their salary savings allied to the departure from the club of Gosling, Ameobi, Remy, De Jong, Newton, Vukic, Tavernier.

What happened to the Wonga sponsorship money this season?

From what I believe, the sponsorship was 8 million a year for 4 years.

There is also salary savings on Willie Donachie who wasn’t replaced plus a number of other smaller salaries for youngsters leaving the club.

I would also like to know what the estimated cost of the training centre refurbishment will be, over what period of time etc.

How much has been pumped into the academy because so far, we have seen little or no return over the past few years.

I would also like to know the methodology regarding loaning youngsters out to other clubs. How can we expect to acclimatise younger players to PL football when we consistently send them out to much lower leagues for experience and on the majority of cases, they fail to progress at those clubs due to lack of playing time (eg Vukic, Ferguson, Campbell).

Why are we not actively loaning these players out to championship upper level teams at the worst with guarantees on playing time.

Why hasn’t Pardew made better use of some of these younger players, eg, Armstrong instead of Shola, Bigi instead of Gosling when it was clear the latter players were not going to be with the club next season.

Ashley’s policy of fast tracking from the academy is failing dismally and for that alone, Pardew should be dispensed with.

In just about every facet of the club other than being financially stable, Ashley is a FAILURE.

• 62 Blofal // May 15, 2014 at 3:45 AM

I like how Pardew identified that he could have used some more “positive” tactics this season. That at least shows he knows what the fans want.

The question is does he have the nerve to set the team up like that. Liverpool attack and are left vulnerable at the back, but have enough scoring power up front to negate any goals against. I think it will be business as usual unless we unearth some amazingly cheap prolific strikers.

• 63 theartfuldodger // May 15, 2014 at 3:49 AM

Well look at things this way..

All teams have TV money to spend and improve squads..

If Ashley decides not to spend then we shall be in relegation trouble..
    That will anyways force him to spend..

So basically he can cry all he wants but he will have to part with it…all of it..

• 64 Blofal // May 15, 2014 at 3:54 AM

Dodger I agree, Ashley isn’t stupid. He knows without significant investment we will be relegated.

I honestly think they tried to replace Cabaye but everyone knew how important he was to us and upped their price so Ashley would have none of it.

Plus people must also remember that last season most clubs took out loans and spent the TV money in advance. They will have to pay it back at some stage so it won’t be as big a window as last season for those clubs.

• 65 theartfuldodger // May 15, 2014 at 4:32 AM

Blofal,

Im not sure but I dont think that ALL clubs spent.
    The clubs can pay off old loans and take new ones..
    Isnt there TV money next season too ??

Villa – Stated their intentions to improve. The dont like being in a relegation scrap everytime.
    WestHam – Honestly with Caroll and Nolan and a few good buys I cant see them being relegated. They will put up a fight..
    Swansea-No way, they play good football..
    Crystal Palace – Dont think so..tony pulis..
    Leicester city – Owner is a billionaire looking to do well..
    QPR if promoted will surely spend to stay up..

That leaves WestBrom and Burnley and us..

Ofcourse anythig can happen but we must be odds on for relegation…proved by the showing in the second half of the season..
    And the club seem to be taking it lightly..talking abt stability..

Like it or not Ashley will have to spend..or go down..
    Its all so plain and obvious that I am beginning to think that ashley has settled for relegation..

• 66 Average_Contents // May 15, 2014 at 6:54 AM

So basically fatty bought out mgm’s part of the lease under MASH holdings not NUFC as stated above, group ownership being MASH so therefore can sell it and not give the money to the club! Anyone else see it like that?

• 67 Average_Contents // May 15, 2014 at 7:38 AM

What do we think happened to the club’s part of the lease? Transferred from “the club” to “MASH HOLDINGS LTD” no doubt! Fat thieving kunt!

• 68 Jail for Ashley // May 15, 2014 at 7:42 AM

A_C
    Rule No 1: The board will not answer any questions.
    Rule No 2: See rule No 1.

• 69 Slank // May 15, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Expatmag

It’s totally meaningless speculating over possible income if you cannot match it with costs. It’s debit and credit.

• 70 Average_Contents // May 15, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Jfa

Don’t forget

Rule No 3: Deny all knowledge of anything and everything

• 71 Jail for Ashley // May 15, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Rule No 4: See rule No 3.

• 72 Jail for Ashley // May 15, 2014 at 8:13 AM

It is plainly obvious that they do not want to win a cup, not to spite us but they want to avoid EL like the plague, the mail is saying that the club have researched the cups and because Bmgham and Wigan were relegated after winning one, it’s too risky, when asked if we were safe would we attempt a cup run, Ans: See rule No 1.

• 73 tequilamag // May 15, 2014 at 8:18 AM

JFA the clubs argument is nonsensical. The fa cup 3rd round is in Jan, we were already safe from relegation at that point so a cup run would not have been any kind of risk of relegation.

• 74 jettson1971 // May 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Lies, deceipt, lies, deciept, no ambition!! im guessing that all cup tickets will be priced at a max of £5 as they are not a priority, massive massive own goal, which will back fire.
    I cancelled my 25 year season ticket on 31 jan this year, only way to hurt Ashley is NOT to give him money. Support the team in any other way, but NOT the regime, my blood is black n white, but i will not go back under his ownership and the management of the imposter PARDEW, who is so far out of his depth its unreal.
    I will say that fans who pay and turn up have only themselves to blame if they start to winge on. The only way u can protest is not to go and not feed the Bank of Ashley.

• 75 welshgeordie9 // May 15, 2014 at 8:23 AM

According to clubcall pardew wants to sign five players in the summer two of those are shelvey and Cabella, why would shelvey leave swans, and as for Cabella their owner doesn’t want him playing for the for the toon.

• 76 Rotonda heights // May 15, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Jail

For a long time I let Pardew’s total incompetence completely cloud the bigger problem of Ashley.

Now after the minutes of the fans forum I don’t know how any self respecting NUFC fan can continue to go to SJP.

It is an open declaration of no ambition. They are not even trying to cover it up any more, not that they ever really did.

This is not NUFC any more………..what’s the point any more?

From T.O.T.T

Bill Kenwright is worth about 1% of what Ashley is worth.

One has ambition for his club, has appointed a progressive manager who plays attacking football, who has been capable of winning an FA Cup with the lowest supported team in the Premier League.

The other sticks by a Johnstone’s Paint Trophy winner with a well resourced team whose level is in the 3rd tier for quality and worse than Huby United for entertainment (bottom of the York Minster Engineering Football League 3rd division with 5 points from 20 games if anyone can’t be bothered to look them up – they even got beat 9-0 at home by Sporting Knavesmire

• 77 Jail for Ashley // May 15, 2014 at 8:27 AM

tequila,
    Like I said in a post last night, why couldn’t they just appease us and say we’re going all out to win a cup whether they mean it or not, are they deliberately trying to antagonise us or are they just so out of touch with how we feel.

• 78 the truth will out // May 15, 2014 at 8:27 AM

dont tell me what is permissible to moan about and what not

• 79 tequilamag // May 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM

JFA, only at Newcastle mate.

• 80 welshgeordie9 // May 15, 2014 at 8:37 AM

i see people on are still moaning on here

Dear me

• 81 welshgeordie9 // May 15, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Who said that the Ashley and pardew don’t want to win any cups

• 82 welshgeordie9 // May 15, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Here

• 83 the truth will out // May 15, 2014 at 8:41 AM

they did

• 84 Jail for Ashley // May 15, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Rotonda,
    As the figurehead of this faceless ‘The board’ Pardew will face the wrath of the fans and media at the beginning of next season, he has got to get past so many obstacles to get the fans on side, firstly which is totally out of his hands, is a good transfer window, he then has to hit the ground running, avoid defeat to the mackems and early exits from the cups, if he manages all this and we are looking half decent in January he has to deal with the loss of a ‘purple’ and the inevitable slump.

• 85 Bentonmag // May 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM

In terms of the land at the metro site: The original idea was to build over the road strawberry Place under licence ( a tunnel in airspace over the road) from the council and connect from the metro land to the back of the gallowgate.
    The only stand that was restrictive was the popular side/east stand. Other developers are building/have built hotels close to the ground. The only reason the ground is not expanded is due to the fact that club officials see no business sense.
    But a successful club and 60k fans would make good football sense and business sense.

• 86 welshgeordie9 // May 15, 2014 at 8:50 AM

is it true our first signing could be by this weekend

• 87 GeordieRob // May 15, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Rotonda,

It’s not that we didn’t agree that there weren’t better managers than pardew. I just think that:
    1) if we do get a better manager, he’ll get a poore squad to ensure we go nowhere; &
    2) we thought it wouldn’t get worse than Llambias, then we got JFK. I have no faith that we’ll get an upgrade on Pards should he get the hook.

• 88 BandB // May 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Average,

Whatever attempts may be made to blind us with science later today, what is clear is that what was once an important asset of the club has now become an important asset of the group. And that it will be sold be the group. Presumably to the profit of the group.
    It would appear that NUFC is a company that has to stand alone and balance its books when it comes to spending money on it, but a group asset to be plundered in all other circumstances.

• 89 Novocastrian66 // May 15, 2014 at 9:01 AM

You cannot criticise the club for stating that the Premier League is it’s priority. This has to be the case. Let’s be honest here, the club aren’t exactly turning people away when we have a home game in whatever cup we are playing on any given day and the tickets are heavily discounted. Therefore the cups are not a priority for the fans.
    The days when home ties in the FA cup drew the biggest attendances of the season are long gone. The club are being pragmatic, the Premier League is the priority.
    It would be nice for us to make a decent fist of the cups but we haven’t even managed that for half of our major priority games this season.

• 90 JAMSHA // May 15, 2014 at 9:04 AM

if anyone knows fat mans house… plzzz burn down his crib

• 91 GEORDIE69 // May 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Keep giving him money MUGS, let him get richer and stay longer and further destroy OUR club. Your all to blame for supporting HIM.

• 92 Dragon64 // May 15, 2014 at 7:13 PM

for all those supporters re-newing season tickets all i have to say is you only have ya self’s to blame so don’t come on here moaning. will hold judgment until i see how many supporters are at the 1st game.

previous post: NCJ Media Ban To Stay – No Impact On Season Ticket Sales

next post: Newcastle Board Explains Some Of Their “Logic”