Remy Pips Newcastle’s Summer Target For French Squad

As expected, Newcastle United on-loan striker Loic Remy made the French squad last night, when Didier Deschamps announced the 23 man squad, but not all French fans thought Loic Remy should have been named in the squad.

Alexandre-Lacazette

Alexandre Lacazette – missed out on World Cup

There was a poll in French daily L’Equipe of some of the top French strikers, including 22 year-old Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette and Loic finished bottom of the poll on only 23%, even though he had a great season in the Premier League with 14 goals in just 27 total appearances for the Magpies.

Remy’s main challenger was Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette, who has been linked with Newcastle this summer, and he now seems to be attracting the interest of some bigger clubs too.

Alexandre Lacazette has only two full French caps, and and this season he scored 22 goals for Lyon in 53 appearances, but Loic had a great season in the high standard English Premier League, and got the nod from French manager Didier Deschamps.

Loic already has 22 caps with four goals for France.

The other strikers in the French squad are Real Madrid’s  Karim Benzema, Arsenal’s Olivier Giroud and Real Sociedad’s 23-year-old, Antoine Griezmann, who at the moment has only one full cap for France.

But we’re sure that one of Loic’s goals (excuse the pun) this season was to play well for Newcastle, so that he make the French squad for the World Cup in Brazil, and he’s achieved both those objectives.

It’s just a pity we couldn’t sign him to a permanent deal at Newcastle, but that’s not going to happen.

• DokToon

May 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

repost:

gmorning all, from the dark side of the pond…

i see MA moved up to #23… apparently thats the only table he cares about… if he had a quarter of the same ambition for the club….

good to see hes buying LA Fitness… maybe he’ll lose some weight around that large ego of his as well… good buy there mr ashley…

finally, from this point on, i will not bother with any posts from turkish… makes guvnor/mag/jeff look like stephan hawkings…

that is all…

• Spoof

May 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM

count, look on the bright side, unemployment reduced and we might get a new owner of our football club as Ashley will hopefully get his cash, run and live the rest of his days in Alaska where he would be safe from armies and the Newcastle fans.

• carl

May 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM

?Would be a good signing but he has said he fancies a move to Juventus. Also linked with a number of Premier sides.

With two years to run on his contract and a World Cup to come we need to get in with a bid now .

• Spoof

May 14, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Turkish, Shola as an attacking coach, could you imagine it, aim for the corner flag as you usually do hit it as I did, but the odd misfire which gets a goal can make a good career for you, tell you what mind if he is was coaching Rooney, Suarez, even Borini, then we would have a better chance next season ?

• count

May 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Ha!

• Average_Contents

May 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Martoon from previous

I get your point about it being too late to cancel now but think of people who haven’t got a ST and were thinking of buying but are unsure, then they see millions of pounds mentioned and buy one hoping for a better window (cannot be worse than the last 3-4)

Possibly even the idea of enticing people who had cancelled back only to be duped once again

Regardless if people believe the story’s in the paper’s, I personally wouldn’t put anything past fatty or the club at the moment! Neither are trustworthy in the slightest!

• JAMSHA

May 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Leicester City owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha
    has pledged to invest more than £180 million
    over three years to turn them into a top-five
    club in the Premier League.

and hea,we have fat man who cant even spend a penny in a year

• Spoof

May 14, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I can understand why so many thought Remy should not get picked for the squad, he is a very good striker, but not great, his first touch is very poor and always has and probably always will be, apart from his first touch he is as good as any, but without that initial first touch he will always struggle to be in the elite class, a good striker who I would love too see us sign on a permanent contract, but never a great striker as a great strikers first touch see’s the ball stick to them as if it’s made of glue rather than a bouncy ball which we see from Loic, but none the less the best we had last season and almost certainly better than what we will get this season.

• Average_Contents

May 14, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Regarding fatty buying health clubs/gyms

It may of been why he decided to punish his own company ( two birds one stone) when they decided against giving him a 70m bonus by selling 200m worth of shares in SD which by the way caused a mass flap attack for the SD shareholders, which in turn caused the company to nosedive by 15% bearing in mind this is HIS company which HE started from scratch, just goes to show the depths he is willing to go too

The fitness bit is obviously just my opinion but the rest actually happened

Spiteful, spiteful man

• Spoof

May 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Jamsha, I saw that yesterday, what bhe said is that he wants Leicester to be in Europe but he knows that it may cost him a fortune, £100/£180m, perhaps even more, but he is not bothered about the cost because he wants to do it.

When Mike Ashley dies he will be remembered by Newcastle fans as being a money obsessed jerk who will soon be forgotten, this guy at Leicester if he achieves his aims will go down in folk law and always be respected and loved, all of us are a long time dead, why not try to be remembered and respected, almost honoured for what we did when we were here, he could be immortalised if he so wished ?

• Alinufc

May 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM

@Spoof I would direct you to this Adam Campbell interview . Described Shola’s left foot as better than his right and a great influence. Not the worst idea in the world.

• martoon

May 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM

A_C @6 – Fair point but I still think the vast majority will already have committed to next season.
    Is it just me or does count have the same style as guvnor/mag/jeff ?

• gazzaforever

May 14, 2014 at 3:02 PM

We will probably sign Gomis because he s free, but soon enough, believe me, you will hate him with passion.

• Black and White with an army lol

May 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM

well this is the first bad news, now just the wait for no transfer activity and then Shola signs a new contract

• Tim the toon

May 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Count, from previous

It’s not OK, and ignorance is just not an excuse!

Enough of that; I’ve supported the Toon for nearly 40 years, and we just seem to stagger from crisis to crisis. I just wish we could have an owner that would have the right balance between financial stability, and playing the kind of football we all want to see. It hurts to say it, but I think that the bindippers play the kind of football we should. How different is what they are doing from what we had under Keegan, the first time round?

• TurkishFan101

May 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Tim the toon

I kindly regarded it as going off-topic and switched, this blog is not owned by you and also the blog posts quiet frankly can be about anything, if you want to set the rules, go make your own blog, I say this kindly.

Spoof

Haha kindly, I have to say I do not want to see Shola anywhere near our club no more. He has served up his bit due to not being able to get sold elsewhere as numerous times he was about to get sold untill the other team thought of even wasting £850k-2m would be a big waste.

He would be best teaching young ones how to make a living out of a club lol.
    count

I just posted the relevant information which I thought would be important and something you would research in the future. But I am 100% by my claim, years upon research as I said, question everything my friend. You do not have to believe me for now but once you hit that phase where everything links and makes sense let me know, I shall talk to you further in the future.

• Spoof

May 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Alinufc, words can mean a lot, but has Campbell improved, I don’t think so, however Campbell was clearly not the point of your post, Shola with or without his ability to coach was the point of your post, humble pie time, Frank Lampard senior was a decent fullback, his son with the same name in my eyes had limited ability but did he make a career of the ability which he did have and what a career he has and is still having, off to Brazil in his mid thirties, credit to him, but I do feel this is as much to his dads influence as to his own, which is fine nothing wrong with that.

So back on to Shola, on more than one occasion I heard that Shola is very highly educated, I have heard that when he retires he should go into politics as he could do really well due to how bright he is, I am serious and I have heard this on many occasions, he really is a very clever man, so Ali, I apologise for suggesting that Shola should not be a coach due to his playing abilities, or lack of them as Sir Alex and Jose Mourinho have proved, average players, perhaps Shola standard, possibly worse, but what great managers they became, so as I said earlier, himble pie time, I do apologise as I was wrong.

• TurkishFan101

May 14, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Black and White with an army lol

Mate I would not read into that, it comes from the same source Luke Edwards and they just stole the information from telegraph. Most specifically read this:

“Ashley will hold summit talks with Pardew and his executive team at St James’s Park soon,”

They are just guessing and assuming he will stick by Pardew as his a yes man but nothing is 100% yet mate so we still have some hope.

• Tim the toon

May 14, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Turkish

Why don’t you read the comments policy on the home page before you start spouting off – you may find some specific comments re politics and religion in that policy!

• Tim the toon

May 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Spoof

We can probably safely say that NUFC owners over the past few decades will not be fondly remembered – even when we were playing decent football, the owners were ripping off the fans, one way or the other.

• TurkishFan101

May 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Tim the toon

My comment about that situation was nothing to do with you, stay out of it, none of your business to come in barging into someone else’s conversation telling them that we cannot talk about other world issues.

I replied and commented out with saying “off-topic”.

Go be an attention-seeker elsewhere.

• Our Toon

May 14, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Tim

Sorry for get involved in this debate but there are a lot of posters who comment on non footballing matters or non NUFC matters.

The initial conversation wasn’t even started by Turkish but you felt it appropriate to rebuke him anyway, why did you single him out?

Ed will deal with people as this is his blog, you are not the person who polices this forum just a commenter like myself and everyone else.

• Spoof

May 14, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Turkish@16 last section, what are you on about, you sound like a terrorists trying to sound out new members, go and f off.

• Tim the toon

May 14, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Our Toon

Cool, no problem. Turkish made some specific remarks about people of a certain religion, which I do not believe belong on this blog – simple as …

I read this blog, and participate occasionally, so that I get a “fix” of all things NUFC related – I live far away from the UK, so between this blog and NUFC.com, I’m able to stay up to date with the happenings of the club I passionately support.

• Motown Mo

May 14, 2014 at 3:52 PM

o The newcastle ..Do they have to wear the white shirts , jerseys with the black stripes all the time at the home game ..can they have the orange ones I seen them wearen on the match at blackpool ?

• ToonDarnSarf

May 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Tim the toon

I’m with you. That post should really be removed as that kind of discrimination (in that case anti-Semitism) has no place on a football blog.

Turkish – I don’t agree with your views on NUFC a lot of the time but you have every right to express them on here. But please don’t bring your distasteful political views on here too.

• Tim the toon

May 14, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Motown

You playing with fire – haha! If you want to cause a riot with fans, tell them the home kit is not black and white anymore.

My understanding is that the only flexibility that exists is for the “away” kit – I wished we had stayed with the “Brazilian” kit; it was great.

• Spoof

May 14, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Turkish, why would Luke Edwards steal what he writes, why would he steal from the Telegraph what he wrote for them, he is their reporter bonny lad.

• Our Toon

May 14, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Tim

This blog is fantastic because it brings together people from different ethnic backgrounds and social status and in normal walks of life half of us wouldn’t even bother to engage in conversations with others as we unite as 1 by arguing over the ONLY thing that truly unties us…….THE TOON!!

• Average_Contents

May 14, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Spoof

I think he meant the mirror regurgitated it from the luke Edwards story. 🙂

• Motown Mo

May 14, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Tim thankyou, me and my sisters love the jersey with the yellow and the orangy colours ..the black and the white stripes one is boring and they have been getting less goals when they put it on we have noticed.

• Spoof

May 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Tim, never a true word, its easy for the non billionaire like me to say, but losing a place or 2 in the rich list to gain aduration for you and you family for time continuem, why does he not do it, he could without risking perssonel wealth, ?

• Our Toon

May 14, 2014 at 4:08 PM

TDS

His views were nowhere near as offensive or as disturbing as the derogatory comments made about Cisse earlier this season.

• Tim the toon

May 14, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Spoof

I’m with you all the way; they say money can’t buy happiness, but I’m sure a little of Ashley’s money could buy a lot of happiness with the fans.

TDS

Spot on mate!

• ToonDarnSarf

May 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Our Toon

I think everyone on the planet has the right to confront someone when they express bigoted, racist or otherwise discriminatory views, don’t you?

• Spoof

May 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM

AC, my apologies, had very depressing news today, not life threatening, not yet anyway, but I am a bit off ?, came on here and I might have even more hassles, sorry but please bear with me, not a good time.

• Phatoon

May 14, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Shola for player-manager!

• Tim the toon

May 14, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Our Toon

I agree with you 100%, and that’s my point. Let’s keep it to football, and more specifically, to all things NUFC related. I get an immense amount of pleasure from the blog on the football input, even though I may not always agree with some comments – that’s the joy of us all having our own opinions about NUFC.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Our Toon

And many people slammed the ignorant and stupid comments made about Islam last summer too. They have no place on this blog.

And at least the Cisse situation did allow for some discussion about the ramifications of Islam within professional sport (not justifying the ridiculous comments though), but I see no good reason for a debate on global Jewish power and wealth (especially in an anti-Semitic way) when related to NUFC at all.

• Tim the toon

May 14, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Phatoon for the firing squad, along with Shola. It’s time to be put out of your misery 🙂