Newcastle Interested In Top Young England Striker

There are reports that Newcastle are interested in 20 year-old West Brom striker Saido Berahino, who was born in Burundi, and came to England at the age of 10, when he escaped from war-torn Burundi with his mother, brother and sisters – and that’s very similar to how current Newcastle midfielder Gael Bigirimana arrived in England.

Saido Berahino

Saido Berahino – England U21 striker

The young striker  doesn’t turn 21 until August, and he has played for all the England youth sides, including five times for the England U21 side with six goals.

The 5’10″tall Berahino has a good goal-scoring record for one so young, and in the season just finished he scored 8 goals in 28 total appearances for West Brom.

And while out on loan in the previous two or three seasons getting some first team playing time, at Northampton Town (14 appearances, 6 goals), Brentford (8 appearances, 4 goals) and Peterborough (10 appearances, 2 goals), he scored 12 goals in 32 appearances overall.

And in his 38 appearances at various levels for the England Youth sides, from U16 through U21, he has scored 20 goals – which is an impressive record.

But Berahino has been in some controversy this season at West Brom, and in a dressing room incident in late March after playing against Cardiff City, James Morrison and the England Under 21 youngster got into fisticuffs, and the reports were that the youngster got the worst of it – but West Brom naturally tried to play that incident down.

The reason for the melee was that the youngster had given the ball away in stoppage time,  only 60 seconds after Thievy Bifouma had given the club the lead, and Cardiff scored to make it a 3-3 draw, and West Brom basically lost 2 points at home to another relegation fighting side.

And it may be an advantage for Newcastle, that we already have 20 year-old Gael Bigirimana at the club, who is the same age as Berahino, and was also born in Burundi,

This lad seems like a very promising young player, but why West Brom would let one of their star youngsters leave the club is a good question.

And with current West Brom manager Pepe Mel almost certain to be fired, after losing the last three league games of the season, and finishing 4th bottom, Newcastle may have to wait until a new manager is appointed.

But we would be very surprised if West Brom are willing to let Saido Berahino leave the club, even though it would be a good opportunity for the young striker, and it would be an excellent acquisition for Newcastle, if we can him on Tyneside.

What do you think?

Comments welcome, but please respect the views of other readers.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 5:50 PM

GeordieTwo

No. You don’t understand my point. And frankly, I get tired of repeating it only for people to misunderstand it and twist my words.

I’m off.

• theartfuldodger

May 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM

TDS,

Add a different coach and a different manager to the mix and players can improve. Even if you add world class players to the squad there will be improvements. But not out of the blue with everything remaining same like it is now.
    Of course youngsters can improve..I said that..

And yes the post was negative…Forgive me for seeing a pattern…

P.S. – I wasnt negative when the season started. And as far as I remember you dint want Pardew out at that time. Well things change…we see patterns emerging…perhaps yr not assimilating everything at once…yr changing bit by bit..

• toon kk

May 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM

G2
    I think you’ve upset TDS.

• Average_Contents

May 15, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I totally understand fans wanting to see a positive but in REALITY there isn’t one apart from being financially stable, but not willing to spend on new players and not even bothering to replace the ones we’ve sold is a downright disgrace for any football club not just ours, to call the cups a distraction is a disgrace considering the club’s history in them, to continually dampen down expectations be it league position or aiming for Europe or even not being able to compete with clubs like west Brom, Stoke, villa or Southampton is scandalous to say the least.

For a club of our size in terms of fanbase and history it’s truly wonderous how far we have fallen!

• Average_Contents

May 15, 2014 at 6:04 PM

You don’t have a point that’s the point!

• GeordieTwo

May 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Time to hand out the Official Blog Hobbit Management Awards for the season mates. I know I’ve kept you waiting but here they are:
    Mike Ashley owner: Grade: F. A complete failure this season. Hired Kinnear, spent nothing on players, fondled his budgies.
    Joe Kinnear DoF: Grade: F. Disgraced the club with his meaningless rants. Couldn’t pronounce our players’ names. Couldn’t make 1 decent permanent signing.
    Alan Pardew Manager: Grade F: Disgraced the club with his head butting. Couldn’t bring us back even once from a deficit. Set numerous negative records. 6 Prem losses in a row. Consecutive losses to Sunderland. Relegation form in the second half.
    Well there it is lads. I’m hoping to have the management over to Blog End to accept their awards. Each gets 3 sheets of bog paper with a red F written on it. So far I haven’t heard back from any of them for some reason?

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 15, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Average

We don’t know what the club will invest in the transfer market. They may do very well.

What makes me laugh is Pardew stating the importance of getting pace into the team, and yet it seems he’s an admirer of Shelvey and has him as a top target!

• GeordieTwo

May 15, 2014 at 6:07 PM

What’s that TDS? Toon kk have a word with him for me please? I think you’re right. I think I’ve somehow managed to upset him?

• theartfuldodger

May 15, 2014 at 6:08 PM

AC,

Heres one positive…Sholas almost gone…

• GeordieTwo

May 15, 2014 at 6:09 PM

I hope everyone is happy with the Official Blog Hobbit awards. I did my best with what we had to work with this season. It was difficult. I almost gave Alan a D because I still feel a bit sorry for him. But no, I did the right thing! Huzzah!

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 15, 2014 at 6:12 PM

So the club’s identifying the players who have underperformed and moving them on. Ironically, this task falls to Pardew, who has massively underperformed. He is the Gabriel Obertan of managers and ought to be the first one out of the door. What a sick joke.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 6:16 PM

toon kk

Ha. Not upset. Just not going to bother repeating myself again.

And I’m off because I need to be off…

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 6:17 PM

theartfuldodger

Of course things change. I was 50/50 with Pardew last summer and last week I wanted to see him replaced because of the 2nd half of the season. But now I’ll support him and the team, although I do expect them to do better.

Plenty of our players have improved.

Anyway, I truly am off…

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 15, 2014 at 6:19 PM

If the club don’t value the cup competitions neither do I. I will find something else to do with my time and money. The club should be careful that fans don’t find other things to do and actually prefer doing them, never to return.

When the day comes that NEWCASTLE UNITED decides not to take the FA CUP seriously, it’s time to pack in.

• Mister Tuff

May 15, 2014 at 6:21 PM

It will be very interesting as to who receives the black spot from Percy Parsnip -will he boot out Obertan -his star purchase -will he have the bottle to boot out Benny or will that upset the fans.
    I’ll be laughing when the Toon gets players (which they will do) they’ll be trying to hide the true coast of the player so we cannot do some simple maths and work out how much Mr “El Gourdo” Tubbs has actually spent -or put it another way how much he has pocketed.

• GeordieTwo

May 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Well said @14 B&B. The club don’t value cup competitions. The league is the only priority. So in that case we should finish top 8 next season. Right Mike?

• Mike's Iron Curtain

May 15, 2014 at 6:24 PM

TeDiouS

You’re off? I thought that was the rancid bullshit I can smell!

• Average_Contents

May 15, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Blackley

I’m talking about previous poor excuses of windows, and the summer following our 5th place finish which was a disgrace tbh, the January was a good one but it was clear to all that fatty panicked because his investment was in jeopardy!

• theartfuldodger

May 15, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Alright TDS…Buh Bye..

We have reached an impasse on the potential of our squad..
    And transfers are ofcourse anyones guess..

• Mike's Iron Curtain

May 15, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Boycott the club, support Gateshead instead. I am! The Pardew to stay news sealed it!

• GeordieTwo

May 15, 2014 at 6:27 PM

No, really Mike if we only have 1 priority and it is the league then top 8 is a must is it not? Surely we can manage that? No? How about top 10? Top 12? Top 14? Stop me when I hit the right number Mike.

• GeordieTwo

May 15, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Ah, I see. Mike has just informed me that top 17 is a priority next season. Well then….. I see problems ahead for Pards with that kind of ambition demanded from his owner. Unbelievable Mike. I mean asking us to finish top 17. Alan is just not having it!

• toon kk

May 15, 2014 at 6:36 PM

What everyone needs to realise we didn’t have a bad season, we had a terrible second half to the season and Pards would definitely had been sacked at any other club. But we have a average squad and 10th is a great result from an inadequate group of players.

Worst thing about Newcastle is the total lack of knowledge on football.
    Shame we couldn’t be more positive but it’s just the way things are. MA is slowly but surely lowering the expectations of the fans, many have accepted we just can’t compete the rest of us are pi$$ed off, all we can do is support our team.

• Toonfan8

May 15, 2014 at 6:36 PM

we have to bring some fresh blood…Berahino,Cabella,Ince…young CB and CM and another striker like Gomis…

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 15, 2014 at 6:38 PM

GeordieTwo, I delighted for the fans and the club to accept this award, for sure.

It’s been a difficult season, 100%. We’ve got to do better next season, if I’m honest.

Mike’s been terrific for this club but I think he knows how much the sale of Johan affected that second half in terms of the morale situation, as much as anything else.

Then we had injuries to key players and it’s a difficult scenario when you lose top players like Remy, for sure.

The fans have a right to be frustrated but I think we need to educate them a little bit. Our fans are knowledgeable of the game for sure. They’re top top fans here but they might not always understand or appreciate all about science and processes because this isn’t a middle class area for sure.

• toon22

May 15, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Why would a top young anyone play for us?
    We have stated our intention of not competing in any form.
    Other young players that have arrived have been shoved into a dismal team,only to then vanish forever.Young players never get a chance for us,except in cases where you fit the managers “plodding” style.
    We have been trying the same tactic at every corner and free kick for 3 years,even when Williamson wasnt playing.
    AP must be odds to be first sacked next season,god forbid he even starts it.Anyone who does decide to”f7c9 it”and just join us is likely to be surplus to requirements once someone who has seen a football before takes the managers job.

Its a dismal club with a worse owner and a manager who is unlikely to be able to leave the dug out next season.

• toon22

May 15, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Blackey you are an utter tool if you think 99% of toon fans think anything like the drivel posted above.

• Black and White with an army lol

May 15, 2014 at 6:42 PM

same old same old again!

have you’s ever realize that every player we have been linked with NEVER come the toon?

Toonfan8 “another striker like Gomis…” do you want to be hated now are later

• toon22

May 15, 2014 at 6:43 PM

The only good thing about last season is MA was able to trouser more money then previously.

Im sure we are all very happy for him.

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 15, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Mister Tuff

I’m not sure how much he spends matters or at least we don’t need to know or to work it out. We need to judge on the quality of the players he gets in.

• GeordieTwo

May 15, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Thanks for that response wor Alan @25. You seem very confident going forward. Top 17 isn’t too much to ask then? Mike would actually like a much higher finish as long as he doesn’t have to spend any money. How does that sit with you? Would 8th be good then? No spending mind Alan. Mike will be watching.

• Black and White with an army lol

May 15, 2014 at 6:44 PM

toon22@26

spot on mate

• Blackley and Brownlie

May 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Toon22

When mikey trousers the money, as you put it, where does it physically go? When the club sells players or gets revenue receipts, does mikey ask to be paid in cash? Does he put it in a separate bank account and the club doesn’t see it?

• Toonfan8

May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Black and White with an army lol
    why hated?

• Black and White with an army lol

May 15, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

all off the above

• Scottiedog

May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Saido & Armstrong upfront next season will be awesome!!

• GeordieTwo

May 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Well I’m off to earn me keep lads.

• Black and White with an army lol

May 15, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Toonfan8

don’t you think Cisse is enough at Newcastle and you want another one here

trust me mate the blog regime come on later and they will have a right go at you for stating that.

• Black and White with an army lol

May 15, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Scottiedog@36

how would that be awesome? Pardew can’t play young players

• Toonfan8

May 15, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Black and White with an army lol
    I think Gomis is proven striker, much better than Cisse, I saw him in champions league matches and he looks good, while I never rate Cisse, apart from goals offered nothing and now he offers nothing without goals…Gomis is good at hold up play, better in linking play…I think he can be good for us, you can think what you want, I dont care…