Newcastle Midifeld Target May Stay With Current Club

Aaron Hunt has hinted that he may even stay with Werder Bremen after all, despite refusing to sign a new deal with his German club, and saying earlier this year he was looking to leave Werder Bremen this summer.

aaron hunt 98

Aaron Hunt – German International midfielder

And Hunt even waved goodbye to the fans at their last home game recently, and his contract expires at the end of June, when he will become a free agent.

Hunt, 27, has been linked with a move to Newcastle, who are always on the lookout for good free agents they can sign, but it would seem that the 27 year-old has not yet found a club to move to in the summer.

Lazio are also said to be interested, and his German friend Miroslav Klose is already at the Rome club, but he says he has not been in touch with the famous German International striker.

This us what he has said in the Bild newspaper:

“If Director of Sport Thomas Eichin wants to talk with me, then I will talk to him,” “Nothing is ruled out.”  “I wouldn’t say anything is not interesting to me,” “But I haven’t called Miro yet.”

Hunt has played 282 times with 51 goals for Werder Bremen over the last ten seasons, and it’s the only club he has ever played for.

Aaron has a German father and English mother and the attacking midfielder played for all the German youth sides, and has three full caps for Germany.

And he gained fame earlier this year, when he was presumably fouled in the penalty box in a Bundesliga game, but he then convinced the referee that he hadn’t been fouled, and no penalty was given.

We wonder if Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge of Liverpool – who are always looking to be fouled in the penalty box – heard about that one?

How outrageous (and very sporting and ethical) that was – something we are losing very quickly in the game of football.

• Graeme

May 15, 2014 at 10:45 AM

With our newly re-stated lack of ambition – what possible reason would he have to even contemplate signing for NUFC??

• jordijohnty

May 15, 2014 at 10:51 AM

If you have renewed your season ticket then you are part of the problem. If we keep getting 40000+ each week then FatAsh is having a great laugh at you suckers, and those of us who are voting with their feet

• Blofal

May 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Debuchy-Colocinni-Williamson-Haidara
    ——Sissoko———Tiote———Delph——-
    Cabella———Lacazette———Townsend

Bench: Santon, Mbiwa, Anita, Siem De Jong, Armstrong, Zaha.

That is what we have been linked with so far. Its better than what we got now. Not sure about a 4-3-3 but then neither is Pardew! Lol.

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Jordijonty,
    No matter how many cancellations a first game home tie against Arsenal in the August sunshine with adults £20 with as many kids as you want for a fiver ahead will have a full house and 90 minutes of being outsung by a team from 300 miles away.

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Blofal,
    That’s an awful lot of signings there, certainly doesn’t tally up with the one or two a year.

• BandB

May 15, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Jail @4

Yup, you’ve just convinced me it is pointless.
    Why should I miss out?
    Can you get me a £20 ticket?

• NEoffers.co.uk

May 15, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Any Coffee and Cake – Only £5 ! (usually £10.78)

Based at an underground location near Haymarket

• the truth will out

May 15, 2014 at 11:16 AM

get the bathtubs oot

• lesh

May 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM

He’s politely telling us to sod off and that he’d rather stay at Werde than join a club which isn’t even showing a spark of ambition.

C’mon Freddy, put your money into to where your mouth is an get involved in setting up a consortium to buy Ashley out!

• martoon

May 15, 2014 at 11:23 AM

BandB – I’m not putting forward any theories of cup runs just my interpretation of the club statement and what happened last year.
    It all boils down to the fact that fans would probably be willing to sacrifice our premiership status to, say, win the FA cup whereas the business would not. All I’m saying is I can see the logic of the business but personally I don’t see why we can’t do both – i.e have a cup run and maintain our premiership status.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM

@NUFC_Stats: Daily Star: Dan Gosling will join Bournemouth, while veteran striker Shola Ameobi and his younger brother Sammy are both set to leave #nufc

• BandB

May 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Martoon,

We could be the first sports venture in history to formally carry out market research to establish that winning is actually a BAD thing.

I find that quite remarkable.

• Spoof

May 15, 2014 at 11:32 AM

martoon, you may have already seen this nut it does put everyone into the picture, if they didn’t already know, what chance have we got, this is the worst that I have witnessed as a Newcastle fan, for so many years all we have had is hope, we don’t even have that now, sad days

• Phatoon

May 15, 2014 at 11:32 AM

BandB @12, that’s what happens when people like Sky Sports put too much cash into a sport.

@TADS Not Sammy as well! I actually think he could be a reasonable player.

• Spoof

May 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM

nut = but

• BandB

May 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Phatoon,

That is true and sadly we are not the only club who want nothing more than to cling on to the arse-end of the gravy-train.
    Whether we need to be one of those clubs is the question.

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2014 at 11:39 AM

BandB,
    You’ll get one for £15 if it’s Hull or WBA, and you’ll have 800 Brummies or Hullstovians or whatever you call them outsinging us.

• BandB

May 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Jail,

I understand the point you were trying to make.
    But the point you have succeeded in making is that handing in your season ticket is an empty gesture as the ground will full anyway.

Which is a point I recall you making after your last visit to the ground.

• lew

May 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM

repost:

The domestic cups is also filled with top clubs in the end.
    Therefore I see it too, as a waste of time.

But to say that we can’t compete with top6 for the sake of securing Pardew, is A DISGRACE!!

I mean – we should take on the cups in 3-4 years time, if we do have a progress in getting players in, and make them play good football..

Pardew is the weakest link, and the reason why we won’t progress..

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Have people seen the quotes from Clive Allen regarding Daniel Levy at Spurs? Loads of people on here have been fulsome in their praise for Levy but obviously there are some people unhappy with them too…

We do have to measure ourselves against other clubs because there is a limited number in the PL, a limited number in the CL and a limited number can win trophies. It’s not an unlimited market that we can increase and tap into.

The only clubs that seem to be properly happy are Liverpool, Everton, Southampton and Palace. Even City seem to think it was just an ok season. Maybe Arsenal will too if they win a trophy…and Hull will certainly be happy if they win!

4/5 happy sets of fans and all the other teams were probably average or worse…

• Jail for Ashley

May 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM

BandB,
    I don’t recall making such a remark especially as I back those that have but while it’s only the minority that are doing it their numbers will be made up with cheap tickets.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 12:15 PM

lew

You do realise that cups are down to a lot of luck. In one off games, anyone can beat anyone. So it’s a matter of stringing those good games together. If the best teams always got to the final, then why are Hull playing against Arsenal?

We’ve definitely had bad luck in the cups…it’s incredible to think how long it’s been since we went to a final…let alone won the damn thing!

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 12:18 PM

BandB

There are probably a dozen clubs whose first goal is to stay in the Premier League. Probably the only clubs who can realistically target more are the super rich 5, Everton, Spurs and us. Southampton could easily struggle to replace their outgoing stars, they need to spend really wisely and they won’t get players of that level because they don’t want to join Saints, players of that level want to join CL teams.

• Ian Toon

May 15, 2014 at 12:21 PM

JFA – this is for you. Don’t do it! Don’t give up all of what a visit to St James Park is. You know it doesn’t make sense. I am sure your no different you still get that buzz from when you first went to St James Park.

St. James Park

With it’s fabled buzz, the Leazes roared and rose
    even before kick off. Down in the main stand
    I watched; Pedro adjusting his Captain’s band
    on the hallowed turf. Waves of black n white in rows
    and rows- a kid in that season’s shirt, I swelled
    with a kind of borrowed pride, belonging
    without belonging, my dad and pops craning
    to see Ginola darting, how Ferdinand propelled
    strike after strike.
    Half time over and a crashing Sir Les header
    left the keeper without a chance…the place
    the toon was rocking.
    I still remember it just like that- the magical ground,
    the echo of the terraces players floodlit
    beneath a November Sky. An evening game,
    Solid win, save for one kid in toon wonder.

• Rotonda heights

May 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM

ed

On a previous thread who did pardew identify to be culled exactly? I’m pretty sure he has hasn’t named names. Shame he didn’t put his own name at the top of the out tray list.

I think it might be worth hanging on to gabriel obertan but we could definitely let gabby obertan go !!

• Rotonda heights

May 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM

TDS

Those dozen other clubs don’t have a home crowd of 52000!

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Every single PL club focusses on the league as number 1 priority! Either the primary goal is to stay in the PL or it’s to qualify for Europe. Cups are secondary, at least until they get to the latter stages.

Every single PL club rotates their squad and effectively puts out weakened teams for the early rounds of the cup.

Pointless blaming NUFC doing this on the owner, that’s just the way football has gone.

• dazzler

May 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM

TDS.

Whilst I agree in priciple, it depends on the ambition of those players and whether they believe the club will be pushing for the CL in the near future. Using your example of Southampton, if they can keep hold of their manager and replace any outgoings with equally decent players then there is no reason they couldn’t push themselves on for a cup next season and aim for the top 4-5 within the next 2-3 seasons. It’s all about how the manager/people in charge of transfers sell the club to any prospective players. Talented players with ambition would be happier buying into a project such as Southampton’s if they see a clear route to success with the club.

With our club, we have a meeting with board members who tell us that a cup run would see us “do a Wigan”. Even though a few signings would give us the quality to attack the cups and retain a top ten finish. There is an intentional dampening of spirits coming out of the club and that is not something most players are going to buy into. Unfortunately, I do not see things getting better over the summer for us as no one worth signing will want to sign and will end up at our rivals instead.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Rotonda

I’ve shot that argument down in flames so many times it’s just not funny any more…

Frankly…so what? There was a time that 52,000 home crowd meant that our revenue vastly outstripped the other teams and helped us afford higher wages and bigger transfers fees…but those days are gone. The advantage that we have for a bigger ground is vastly diminished because of the huge amounts of TV money.

It used to be a case that matchday revenue was the majority of a club’s revenue but no longer.

Our crowds are something to be proud of but they don’t contribute as much to success as they used to…

• catchy in norway

May 15, 2014 at 12:30 PM

looking forward to the hate fest that will be our next season

the only way pardew can survive at this club now is win a trophy and prove doughters wrong( me and most of the fans ) that he does know what he is doing

all I see is pain next season , especially if he is planning this massive cull, his jibajabba will be these a new group , give THEM time to bed in, he will blame every thing on this being a new group, this is his tacktic

I hope he gets shht from day one

• dazzler

May 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Catchy,

I think the decision has been made by most of the fans now on Pardew. I think the atmosphere on our first home game is going to be poisonous. The only way I can see improvement on that front is if the owner spends, and the likelihood of that is slim and none as we have seen in the past two windows.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 12:35 PM

dazzler

But what club has done what you’re suggesting Southampton will try and do? Plenty have tried and failed and several of those find themselves in the lower leagues.

Lallana and Shaw want to leave for a CL club and it stands to reason that other CL level players will want to play for a CL club too…hence Saints won’t get them. What they’ll likely get is either young and promising players who want to get to that level or solid players who simply aren’t at that level. And the selling club will likely negotiate hard because they know they have money and they know they need players. Plenty of times we’ve seen a club like Saints do really well because of some star players and then they’ve struggled. They need to buy extremely well to stay up there.

The club is being realistic and businesslike in their announcements, in other words…boring. The problem is, we have no passionate spokesman for the club either.

Stating that the club suggested that a cup run would see us “do a Wigan” is disingenuous and frankly unhelpful though. In fact, they pointed out that the majority of cup winners have either come from the top few clubs and of the others, several have been relegated.

Putting out your first team in every game is impossible in this day and age. Clubs have squads to rotate in order to have as many players as possible at or close to full fitness. Every club tries to maximise the balance between quality and quantity .

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 12:38 PM

catchy

I seriously hope Pardew does not get sh*t from day one! What good will that do the team? What message will that give to the new players? I hope the fans get behind the team and will it on to do well and prove us all wrong about Pardew and his tactical frailties.

If we sign the players I think we will, I see three groups…those who just hate Pardew and won’t give him any time, those who think we’ve signed enough players to push for the CL and some of us in the middle. For some reason, our fans (especially the more passionate ones) seem to fit into one of the first 2 camps…

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

May 15, 2014 at 12:46 PM

The problem now for me, is that I feel an utter disassociation with NUFC now that Pardew is staying. I know it’s not the be all and end all and that the focus should remain on Ashley, however the last few weeks have been built up with the chance that Pardew would go and at least provide us with some hope.
    Now I feel nothing and I cannot look past Pardew in a blind attempt at support for the team, as he is the focal point of it and I simply cannot stand him. I can’t listen to what he says anymore, I can’t look at him on the sidelines, I can’t bear to even think about him.
    For that reason alone I hope he gets stick from day one as he’s completely earned it. I now see it as a ‘for the greater good’ process, and for that he has none of my support.

• MacToon

May 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Have you decided to renew your season ticket TDS?

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM

MacToon

I live Darn Sarf mate. I mostly only get to go to away games. I do think it’s sad when fans do though and I wonder how many of them regret it afterwards…

But then a certain number don’t renew at every club for various reasons.

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Geremi’s Prosthetic Leg Fund

I think ‘the greater good’ is ensuring we get consistent top 10/8 finishes for the next couple of years and are firmly established as a top PL club. Then we can attract bigger sponsors, better players and hopefully a forward thinking owner too, who in turn brings in a better manager.

I think it makes sense…but it’s no bloody fun…

• toonbarmy

May 15, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I am a regular reader of the blog but hardly post but i am starting to get sickof people who slate season ticket holders as part of the problem. As a season ticket holder I believe in supporting the team but this doesn’t mean I support Ashley in what he is doing, I will reserve my opinion on the team until the transfer window is shut, I agree Pardew doesn’t deserve another chance but if we as fans cause a poisonous atmosphere at the start of the season all we are doing is making sure we get relegated!!! Let’s get behind the team but not the regime

• ToonDarnSarf

May 15, 2014 at 12:59 PM

toonbarmy

Well said sir. I think we need more fans like you but to be honest I think the majority of our fans are just like you, which is a relief!

• sweendog

May 15, 2014 at 1:00 PM

to be competitive we need investment and 2 good players in each position .. then we would be top 8 and have a B team if required for cups .. to say they are not focused on cups spells one thing .. a cheap team with 1 player per position who will be sold if the right offer comes in ..