The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Wembley Beckons For Two Newcastle Players

6:36 pm, Friday, May 16th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

Rotherham have reached the League One play-off final at Wembley,  and they were helped by on-loan Newcastle players James Tavernier and Haris Vuckic.

james tavernier with fans after rotherham recah wembley

James Tavernier celebrates with fans after making Wembley play-off final

Rotherham played against Preston North End and the first leg ended 1-1 at Preston, but last night the Millers won 3-1 and they are on their way to Wembley.

However, Preston took the lead last night in the 16th minute from former Blackburn striker Paul Gallagher, but then goals from Thomas after 24 minutes and Frecklington ten minutes later saw Rotherham with a 2-1 halftime lead.

And then to put some daylight between the sides Kieran Agard scored the Millers’ third goal after 67 minutes, and he was set up nicely by Newcastle’s James Tavernier ,who pulled the ball back from the right wing to get the assist.

pitch invasion rotherham

The Millers fans celebrate after reaching Wembley

James Tavernier played the whole game last night, and Haris Vuckic was brought on as a 87th minute substitute for Rotherham.

Rotherham go through to the play-off final by a 4-2 score on aggregate, and they will now face Leyton Orient in the final, after Orient had beaten Peterborough in the other play-off semifinal – 3-2 on aggregate.

Leyton Orient and Rotherham finished 3rd and 4th in the League One respectively, and both were on 86 points, but Orient had a better goal difference.

The final will be a game worth watching, and it takes place on Sunday, May 25th at Wembley Stadium, that’s a week on Sunday.

Let’s hope Rotherham can make it through to the Championship for next season.

Tags: Haris Vuckic · James Tavernier · Loan Moves · Newcastle News

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 Big Pappa Cissé // May 16, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Gosling off to Bournemouth then .

Guess we know why he got that 4 game run in our midfield at the end of the season while HBA was raring to go .

What a joke .

• 2 Graeme // May 16, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I watched the game lastnight and it was a good game. The Rotherham right winger turned Preston’s left back inside out for their last goal, it was beautiful to watch, great ball control and skill.

• 3 clinath@ed // May 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Watched the game, Tav looked very good going forward, but next to shocking when defending. Got the same impression when I watched him play for the U21s earlier in the season.
    Shame, I like the lad.

• 4 clinath@ed // May 16, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Graeme….you are aware that was Tavernier?

• 5 Mister Tuff // May 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Ian Toon – previous thread – who are you talking about when you mentioned Wynne. Cannot recall any players who had Wynne as a Christian name. We did have Wyn Davies. Please you need to study Toon history a bit better.
    I can score you 7 out of ten for effort but 0 out of ten for accuracy. You need to work harder.

• 6 Lost Plot // May 16, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Bournemouth will be a nice little outside bet for next season (at least play offs)

Saying that Yeovil was my team to watch last campaign :(

Boro should be in for a canny run too.

As for us .. I recon we’ll be okay upsetting every other club (resulting in CL)

As for the cups .. If the game plan us to concentrate on league then it’s down to the Bairns to have the run out which nobody gonna complain about as we all asking for them to make the grade!

And the suns shinning AND for once it’s looking bright up North :)

• 7 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:19 PM

yes with mike as owner we can’t lose lost plot mate. huzzah

• 8 Ben3arfa // May 16, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Tav should play on the wing . seems like an ideal squad player

• 9 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Yes Tav can play on the wing with Santon on the other wing. Huzzah! Then we don’t need any incoming! Ashley will love it.

• 10 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I know I’m being a bit cheeky but let’s see how this could work for a starting formation:
    Krul?
    Raylor Willo Colo Haidara
    Tav Tiote Sissoko Santon
    Cisse Armstrong
    We’ll be in the Championship in not time! Huzzah!

• 11 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I’m giving that formation the Mike Ashley seal of approval. Absolutely no spending required! Beautiful.

• 12 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Right then, that’s wor players sorted for next season. Is everyone happy? :)

• 13 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I suppose I mean happy-ish?

• 14 welshgeordie9 // May 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM

GeordieTwo

is everybody happy, you are on the blog what do you think

• 15 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM

You know, a lot of you have the absolute cheek to come on here and complain about wor FCB. This is a man who has sacrificed everything to help wor club survive financially. This is a man who exposed his moobs for us on worldwide television. This is a man who loves us so much he re-hired Joe Kinnear. Now what are you lot complaining about? Harrumph!

• 16 geordie157 // May 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM

I think Tav will sign for them permanently if they go up, he’s had a good loan spell and fell he could be solid at championship level.

Vuckic however seems destined for league 1 at best, seen him a few times this season, just looks lethargic ie had a chance to simply side foot it round the keeper but he decides to try and chip him and the centre back whos on the goal line!

both will be off in the summer. so we need around 15 players right?

• 17 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Well right now I’m thinking about Wales welshie mate. A little bit of heaven right here on earth. After that I’ll think about something else. :shock:

• 18 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Absolutely not geordie157. Mike will not pay for more than 12 incoming. Let’s see, there’s the 5 Mongolian players, the one coming in from Burundi, ummmm, then there’s Raylor, Abeid, a fully fit Cisse….. aaannnnd we’re also looking into a very fine midget wrestler for the coaching staff. Yes, it’s looking good from where I stand!

• 19 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I’m always happy welshie by the way. Nothing gets me down. I’ve followed Newcastle for decades now. No further damage can be done to me.

• 20 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I’m warning you lot. If you don’t stop bothering poor Mike he’s going to come on the telly and expose his moobs again! Is that clear?

• 21 welshgeordie9 // May 16, 2014 at 7:55 PM

GeordieTwo

Would you be happy if pardew or Ashley was your new neighbour

• 22 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Actually I would like to have both of them as my neighbours welshie. One on either side of my vast estate here at Blog End. I would have my honey badger over pooping in their flower beds at every opportunity. I would steal there wireless internet and play loud music late at night. It could be a lot of fun for everyone involved. :)

• 23 GeordieTwo // May 16, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Well I have to go jing the jango mates. TTFN.

• 24 santonthenewmaldini // May 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Should bring back Tavernier and try him out at right wing looks excellent going forward but a little lacking in defensive positioning works hard to track back though and has end product surely worth a shot for a few games ??

• 25 Average_Contents // May 16, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Fcuking hope not!

• 26 Big Pappa Cissé // May 16, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Anyone else worried that Pardew wants English journeymen like Bent and will force out creative players like HBA & Marv :( ? .

I still maintain the best signing we could have made this summer was a new manager instead of being stuck with this moron .

• 27 Graeme // May 16, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Average @ 25 – He’ll be too expensive for us mate and too old as well. We only buy “Value for Money” under 26 years old. Hell, even our “Free Transfers” cost around £10 million!!!

• 28 jazzyp // May 16, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Big Pappa
    Forget Bent mate. He wont be coming here, To old-to slow and to much of a flop

• 29 Ancientcoptic // May 16, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I have been deflated by the news that Pardew is staying as manager, it is not that I do not like Pardew… the time when Pardew jumped into the crowd to celebrate with the fans after a last minute goal was glorious football theatre. I also remember Pardew having a bit of craic on with Drogba when Cisse scored that cruise missile against Chelsea.

These inspiring moments do not make up for the lack of quality football though. I could take the Adebayor saluting Sherwood moment from this season… which is without doubt, the best moment of camaraderie seen in the Premier League this season.

I will not be putting any of my money into the club for the coming season, but as a fan, I can only hope that Pardew will change his coaching staff – and get real with this attacking football he has spoken about.

• 30 hitman // May 16, 2014 at 9:10 PM

i see ashley aint happy with the b team carry on,anly coz we aint got enough players at the club,and it would mean he would have to spend…when are some of owa fans going to wake up and realise we are being run on a shoestring,this is wat the mans aaal aboot.fkin wake up its embarissing being a geordie.

• 31 beermonkey // May 16, 2014 at 9:12 PM

thankfully I think bent is old and will want to much in wages

but its a worry that he want these old useless players,
    mind you what else can he do he knows Ashley wont be able to sell them, so he gets to keep them

• 32 jazzyp // May 16, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Beermonkey
    I don’t believe it mate for a minute.There was rumours of the same story Re Bent last summer circulating and nothing materialised. Bent would be a worse transfer than Ldj imo

• 33 jimiley // May 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Cisse will be like a new signing when he comes back from injury. We need his cunning around the box and eye for goal.

• 34 jazzyp // May 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I hope that was sarcasm jimiley !!

• 35 hitman // May 16, 2014 at 9:33 PM

as for NUST there a bunch of nee marks. f*****g joke.since they formed they have done f all. who are these priks, yee have that gob shite steve wraith who is a 2 faced twat. what the f. i just can’t understand why we are letting this happen to oour club. F*****G STAND UP.

• 36 beermonkey // May 16, 2014 at 9:33 PM

jazzy
    I don’t believe anything to be honest
    but its a worry cos of the players pards has spoken about
    there are good british players out there that could improve and do well for us but there not who he mentions,

jimily

if we played to his strengths and worked the ball into the right areas for him I think he could get his best back

• 37 jazzyp // May 16, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Beermonkey
    He was shocking last season and don’t see any point what so ever mate in his signature. Another player like strolla that needs to be put out to pasture

• 38 jimiley // May 16, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Beermonkey,
    I would rather have Shearer on one leg than Cisse.

• 39 jazzyp // May 16, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Thought so

• 40 beermonkey // May 16, 2014 at 9:47 PM

there are a few that need to go out to pasture

but I do think we have a half decent core of players
    obviously if we don’t find another type of player that can make his own goals and a good set piece taker that will score we will get religated
    only because it seem its the only way pards can win a game
    I cant see him being able to bring a few new players in and change the way we play to score the goals needed
    mind you scorings goals looks to be a problem but so is the amount we concede

• 41 toon kk // May 16, 2014 at 10:05 PM

We’ll be penny pinching in the transfer window, it’s how MA runs the club. We’ll be going for young chancers and maybe a has been, ie Bent.

• 42 Graeme // May 16, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Toonkk – If we are very lucky!!

• 43 lesh // May 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Howay them Geordies, gi wi summit t cheor! There’s f’all to cheor heor!
    Av had me extra-thick head on the day and’ve just realised why we’re not particularly interested in the proposed new division that’s to include B teams.

It’s struck me that if we’re clearing out so many and’ll not be buying direct replacements, then we’ll not have a B team!

Duh…. Dim or what….. a state of affairs, a playing staff that’s even been depleted to the bones of its ar.. Err, down to the bare minimum.

Strength in depth?? We’ll have none!

Marvellous, just phucking marvellous.

• 44 lesh // May 16, 2014 at 11:01 PM

hitman….. I’ve just read your post on the way we’re being being guided towards not having a B team.

And honestly, I hadn’t seen it when I posted my drivel about the self same thing.

Hitman, I think you’ve made a valid point and watching developments’ll be interesting.

• 45 Black and White with an army lol // May 16, 2014 at 11:01 PM

you got to be f@cking me! why Bent? does Pardew want to be shot on site.

• 46 Black and White with an army lol // May 16, 2014 at 11:03 PM

+ I missed out f@cking kidding me lol

• 47 Black and White with an army lol // May 16, 2014 at 11:07 PM

if Bent signs for us I’m going to buy a ticket for our first home game just behind him and i’m going to show that pr!ck how to really nut someone

• 48 Bleemo // May 16, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I cannot believe some ppl on here actually believe half the transfer stories in the papers. They are feelers put out by agents to get a sale for their player more often than not. The papers print them for something to put in their rags knowing full well they are tosh.

Always fun to speculate but I wouldn’t believe anything until I see it. Personally I wouldn’t mind it if we signed Snodgrass. Not a fashionable player I grant you but he has a bit of pace and puts in a decent cross and contributes to goals in a poor team.

previous post: Cabaye’s Place Under Even More Pressure At PSG

next post: Do Newcastle Really Want This England Striker?