Newcastle Have Chance To Sign French International Midfielder

News that Marseilles’ French International attacking midfielder Dimitri Payet could be sold this summer for a cut price of £6M, and it’s not surprising that Newcastle are interested in the 27 year-old.

Dimitri Payet +LOSC+Lille+v+Olympique+de+Marseille+JLS8q2KIJi4l

Dimitri Payer – available in cut price deal

Newcastle were said to be interested in the winger last summer, but as we know Joe Kinnear couldn’t get anything done, except to get Loic Remy on loan for a season from QPR, which turned out to be good deal for both parties.

L’Equipe are reporting that the player could be made available for as little as £6M, which is half the price they paid Lille for the player last summer when he joined the south of France club.

The report suggests that Newcastle and Arsenal are both linked with the French international, which is a safe bet since those two clubs continually scan the French market for players.

But it could be a good opportunity for Newcastle to get a good player in at a very reasonable price, and last season Payet had 8 goals and 8 assists in 44 games in all competitions for Marseilles.

These are the type of unexpected opportunities that crop up in a transfer window, but clubs need to move quickly if a deal is to be completed.

According to the L’Equipe report, Marseilles have some financial problems and must recoup £4.8M by the end of the financial year – which is June 30th.

Payet could be the one sacrificed in the summer, because he was substituted a lot last season, and is probably the one that is disposable compared to other top players at the club such as Steve Mandanda, Mathieu Valbuena, Andre Ayew (another Newcastle target of last summer), and Nicolas N’Koulou.

Payet has played 7 times for France and 11 times with four goals for the French U21 side, but failed to make France’s World Cup squad for Brazil, and that tournament starts next month.

The 5′ 9″ winger previously played at Nantes and Saint Etienne, before moving to Lille in 2011.

There will be a number of suitors after the cut-price Payet, and as we said, it’s an opportunity for Newcastle, but only if we move quickly and decisively enough to get the winger.

Over to you Lee Charnley.

What do you think?

• Ian Toon

May 17, 2014 at 2:33 PM

He reminds me of Aaron Lennon.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM

And I repeat shouldn’t it read the FCB then?

• jazzyp

May 17, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Reading some post’s today I must go to different matches to some on here. “Were doomed if we sell santon”, Aint being funny here but he’s been shocking most matches last season.
    Lads were saying put him in midfield or on the wing because he’s not a defender…………..Done that, tried that and guess what, it didn’t work

• Graeme

May 17, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Jesper, to be 100% grammatically correct, yes, it should be THE FCB
    But everyone on here (or 99.9%) know who FCB refers to!!

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

May 17, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Wow, I had to check that he’s 27! I remember when he was linked years ago.

Then again, agents know it’s an easy link to fake to get publicity through us. The club won’t mind because it makes it look like they really are after (relatively) expensive players.

• Ian Toon

May 17, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Jesper- Calm down your starting to show the early signs of the “blog bully”. I knew perfectly well what Graeme was saying. It shouldn’t be a big deal for you, given that your the linguist in this conversation. Were the only two left on the blog and I am off to the pub.

• Laurent Robert 32

May 17, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Under a crap manager, good players can generally underperform. Pardewed.

• jazzyp

May 17, 2014 at 3:01 PM

On Bent, Don’t see it ever happening.Why sign a 31 year old journeyman that couldn’t even hold down a regular spot in a relegated team

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 17, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Graeme…that’s why I asked on the other thread what FCB meant or referred to 🙂

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 17, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Ian…I am just going to disregard that post mate!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM

jazzyp…I think most of us see Santon differently – especially when we talk about last season. Personally I think he looked “bad” for a reason.

Taking into account that probably only Cabs, Debuchy and Remy looked good for better part last season and some really looked “bad” on the expense of others.

That last part is a discussion on its on merit!

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

May 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM

@ Jazzy – Why sign Shefki Kuqi?
    Bent is cheap, because he’s completely mediocre.
    That’s why I’m worried it could be true.

• jazzyp

May 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Gonufc
    I don’t think the value of the player will come into it mate. For the simple reason…….Why pay out a fee for bent when there is Gomis on a free. And would command similar wages.
    Jesper-Afternoon pal
    Personally have liked the looks of Hadaira when he’s played, to me looks a better prospect as a left back, More so than both santon and Dummett

• Graeme

May 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM

A beautiful article and a great reminder of why we are footy fans.
    Brings a lump to your throat when you think about what we have today!!!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 17, 2014 at 3:18 PM

jazzyp…afternoon mate 🙂

Hadaira didn’t play much last season did he

• jazzyp

May 17, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Jesper
    No mate he didn’t for some reason. but like I said I do think when he plays he looks the better prospect out of all the left backs currently at the club. For me when Dummett is attacked he is left wanting, And as for Santon gets caught out of position far to much in every match he plays in.
    What’s the weather like over there mate……..23 degrees in sunny Mansfield

• JackButler

May 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM

The mighty Hull City at Wembley for the cup final, oh to have some ambition

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

May 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM

@jazzy – I only mean cheap because I’d have thought it would be a loan like the rumour said. Could get lesser wages because the club seems desperate to get him atleast partly off the books (which would make most sane people ask, why do we want him then?).

Also, on Haidara, I think he’s looked pretty good when played but don’t think he’s been handled very well at all. When he has actually been brought on it’s often been at 89 or 90 mins.
    Does Pardew really think those 2 minutes are going to develop him?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM

jazzyp…it’s been really good this weekend, though it’s only 18 degrees at the moment 🙂

I like Hadaira – he is a young prospect and I don’t know how far he can/will go, but I am actually quite fond of Santon 🙂

For me the problem is else where, but that’s a discussion for another day. So how is Mike doing over there in Mansfield? 😉

• JackButler

May 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM

This is the thing that seriously worries, even anger’s me with Pardew, Haidara has looked the more complete and accomplished of our our left back’s but for some reason he’s third in the pecking order!

I don’t know what he see’s from the dug-out, but it must be something different to the rest of us as both Santon and Dummett were below average last season.

• jazzyp

May 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Jesper
    Mike is doing good mate thanks. Going over tonight for a BBQ and talk Transfers. Anybody you have in mind bud you would like bringing in lol ??
    Gonufc
    Yeah mate maybe your right, But if Bent is a real target for us then god help us

• Toon Tang

May 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM

You’re trying to tell me the fa cup final and the Barca game are on at the same time???? gutted

I’m gunna go ‘flick’, with overtones leaning more toward Barca…

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

May 17, 2014 at 3:36 PM

I like Santon, even though he’s been disappointing this season but how the hell has Dummett been ahead of Haidara?!?

AND, even more so, why on earth did Pardew have Dummett (one of the least technical players in the squad) taking free kicks at goal?!?!

• jazzyp

May 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM

JB-Afternoon dude
    Is the sun shining down there on the coast mate.
    Santon was supposed to be the next Maldini but for me has not lived up to that Accolade in any shape or form.
    Personally I think hadaira could be shaped into a quality left back.Something we have been lacking since Enrique left us

• JackButler

May 17, 2014 at 3:43 PM

jazzyp

Afternoon mate, yes the sun is shining and it’s a beautiful day down here 😀

Santon must find it hard being compared to one of the best players to ever play at left back, he is a good player but has had a very poor season and i feel that he should have been pulled out of the starting line-up but Pardew persisted with him and his performances steadily grew poorer by the game.

Haidara is the best left back we have in my opinion and i simply cannot understand why he isn’t our first choice, but thats Pardew for you 😉

• jazzyp

May 17, 2014 at 3:49 PM

JB
    Another worry is Mapou. If Saylor has a future at the club as is being reported today, Then what does that mean for Yanga ??

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 17, 2014 at 3:53 PM

jazzyp…for the first time in all those years I have supported NUFC I just really don’t care who we sign!

…I feel it just won’t make a difference.

• kevymartins

May 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Payet is to slow he runs like a duck lke danny simpson.

• jazzyp

May 17, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Jesper
    Mate if we give up now then Ashley has won.This summer as most say is an important pivotal point in Nufc’s Direction.

• toon kk

May 17, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Tbo I’d never thought I’d say it but I don’t really care who we sign, we’re never going to achieve anything. If MA is tight in the transfer window we’ll go down and it will cost him financially in the long run.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM

jazzyp…my love for NUFC is the same mate, but Ashley’s reign is getting the best of me and I haven’t watch the lads (if you disregard the Liverpool game) since January because of Pardew’s negative brand of football and his ability too ruin perfectly good players!

• jazzyp

May 17, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Jesper
    We have to try and get through this collectively buddy, There is no other way. There is no point fans turning on one another like there has been of late whether it be this blog or in the ground. Everyone see’s Nufc through different eyes……but ultimately we want the same thing for the toon “Success”

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM

jazzyp…as much as I agree I do think it’s time we stand up and be counted!

…as of now we don’t stand as one! undivided!

• gazzaforever

May 17, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Payet is awful. Pardew will love him.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 17, 2014 at 5:00 PM

St Johnstone win the Scottish Cup for the first time in their History….
    Manager is Ex TOON keeper Tommy Wright.
    Could Hull win the FA cup for the first time with Steve Harper ex TOON keeper in the squad

• toonarmydownsouth

May 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Hull!!!!!!!!! Not even 3 minutes in!

• Graeme

May 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Hull take the lead inside 2 minutes lol
    Mon the Tigers – or whatever your called now lol

• kevymartins

May 17, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Go on steve brucy

• Graeme

May 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM

and Hull are 2-0 pmsl

• toonarmydownsouth

May 17, 2014 at 5:08 PM

2-0!!!!!!!
    Fcuking c’mon hull!!!
    Gutted Stevie Harps isn’t playing!