Is This Top Free Agent Really Too Old For Newcastle?

Bafe Gomis was our number one target last summer, but we failed to bring the striker to Newcastle even though a fee of around £9M was agreed for the player, but the news was that his agents were too greedy,  and wanted too much money from Newcastle to close the deal, and Newcastle didn’t get him to Tyneside.

bafe gomis Alexandre Lacazette

Bafe Gomis of Lyon –  is he too old for Newcastle?
Another Newcastle target –  Alexandre Lacazette  – is in the background

But Gomis will be 29 in August, and new Managing Director Lee Charnley has already reiterated that we will continue our strategy of signing players around 26 years old or younger, whose best years are ahead of them.

Its been obvious that Gomis would leave Lyon in the summer for a long time, but Football Direct News is reporting the news today as if it was a big deal, and they report that both Newcastle and Tottenham could be in for the striker.

After a bit of a tempestuous summer with his club Lyon, Bafe – to his credit as a professional – settled in for the last year of his five years at Lyon ,and he had a very decent season, and scored 17 goals in 34 total appearances for Lyon last season, a very decent record.

With Shola Ameobi not apparently willing to stay on at the club,  Newcastle may have to bring in as many as three top first team strikers this summer, so we only hope that if Bafe is not a target – we can get three good strikers through the door before September rolls around.

And even Papiss Cisse, who seems like he will be staying on Tyneside, failed to impress when Loic Remy was out injured – and if it wasn’t for the Frenchman last season, Newcastle would never have finished in the top ten.

Newcastle may be forced to bring somebody like Bafe Gomis in,  just to ensure we have enough goal scoring power power next season.

As a free agent and so much cheaper than he was last summer, we think Bafe would be a good signing for Newcastle, even if he is a year older.

What do you think?

• G

May 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM

He’s still too slow for the Prem. He has an eye for goal, and his instinct is superb. Unfortunately he’s slower than continental drift.

• stephen30

May 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM

im not an itk and i dont have sources but i can confirm perez walked into the stadium at 9:30 this morning with a load of guys in suits as i was driving by when he got out the car

May 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Ok…summary from the predictions we made at the beginning of the season…

Average predicted finish = 11th (actually 10th)
    Over half of fans predicted a bottom half finish.

Average number of points predicted = 49. Spot on!

Less than half predicted a better fun in the League Cup, less than a quarter predicted a worse run and more than a quarter got it spot on.

Only 2 people predicted a worse FA Cup run and only 3 quarters predicted better.

Considering 2 players signed (albeit on loan), that was the average.

Considering 2 players sold (Perch and Cabaye) that was the average too.

Just about a quarter had Remy as top scorer, almost all the rest had Cisse (oops).

The average number of league goals predicted was 15, just one more than Remy got.

3 fifths said that Pardew would not be sacked so 2 fifths were correct.

• mindshaft

May 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

It depends on the length of contract he insists on, I would imagine that he and his agent would want a hefty signing on fee and a four / five year contract on top wages.
    With no sell on value I think Ash and co will look elsewhere

• G

May 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM

@4 agreed. I’m thinking Kluivert again here.

May 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM

And if we award a winner for each accurate prediction…the winners are…

magicbus
    Transfer Sage
    DokToon

Those just behind were:
    check the toastie
    toonarmydownsouth
    ToonDownSouth
    geordie157
    martoon
    cbtoon82
    Noah Another Ameobi

And those who got absolutely nothing right…
    Barton
    jayphoto
    Sazzer

• mindshaft

May 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

@TDS – that shows 2 things
    Some people know jack all.
    The stuff we expected (i.e. 11th and 49 points) we’re complain like f00k about … hehe

Aye- that’ll be me on both counts!

May 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Overall, it looks like the season was about what we expected it to be…a slightly poorer run in the FA Cup and we expected Cisse to outscore Remy. But pretty similar.

May 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM

mindshaft

Well Black and White with an army lol, Indian Magpie, Barton, mattnufc and curmon all had us with 40 points or less!

• FAU

May 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM

remy-dejong-ameobi, 3 out. So 3 in.
    if MA stll not giving $$$ to Pardew again to spend for addleast two decent attackers. I would get a sniper and shot him.

p.s Jordan Rhodes one of them please.(scores add least 20goals a season in last 5 season) , 24 y.o, Wenger wanted him 2season ago. We know Wenger’s scouting team pretty good since late 90’s.

• Spoof

May 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

from 2 threads earlier

TDS
    look m8, as fans we all want the same, but like football tactics its all about how you achieve them, now KK had the philosophy that the best form of defence is attack whereas Jose Mourinho believes that the best form of attack is to defend and exploit any gaps which are left, now when it comes to our club at present we do not see any structure to the club, all we see and here is what affects the finances, now are the finances important , of course they are, to compete on the field you have to compete off it.

What we as fans want to see is a balance, but are we getting that, in all honesty not even yourself can say that we are getting that balance as you have said yourself that you would like to see kids like Perez signed but at the same time you would also like to see players who are ready now to also be signed, and that is not happening here, basically you agree with the majority on most of the issues which we have but then you get yourself into heated debates because you defend the people who are preventing us and yourself from allowing the club to be ran the way we and yourself would like it to be ran, there is understandably a lot of negativity around, but more so when you are on because what you preach on one hand contradicts what you preach on the other hand.

Newcastle United is a football club, football is a sport, the whole point of sport is too compete and try your best to win, when an athlete is on the starting blocks all they concentrate on is trying to get to the finishing line first, when I was at school on sports day I would be on the starting line listening, ready steady go and the whole world would stop, nothing would matter apart from that bloody finishing line and was I determined to get their first, was I not and I usually did, my teacher then sent me for county trials, what a disaster, 100 metres and I must have been 30 metres behind and I came plum last, my teacher went spare as he new I was better than that he could tell due to the lack of determination in my face during the race that I didn’t make the effort, he sent me back again, what a difference, I ran my bloody heart out, I still only came 4th and still failed to make the team but due to desire I did improve, when I came last the lad who came second was in my second race and I beat him, quite simply I was not good enough, but what I showed was the essence of sport, ignore all around you and achieve the maximum that you possibly can, Newcastle United football club is a sporting club, alledgedly !

The reason I mention about sport and what sport should stand for is that due to what I am now witnessing at Newcastle is that Newcastle as a sporting club is now secondary to Newcastle as being a business, and that is wrong, so back to the beginning, TDS, the reason why you have so many enemies is due to your Mourinho defensive tactics, after so many years it is obviously not working so it is time for a change, that is why the majority are adopting the Keegan approach of attack, attack and attack, and if it doesn’t work then attack that little bit harder.

• ilovetoon8788

May 20, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Ayoze looks like a player with decent potential. But i have no hope in our club and its system in developing players.

just look at what happened to adam campbell vuckic etc. and pardew’s way of giving them 2 minutes run out.

lol. we’ll screw him up and ruin him. if he’s smart he wont come here.

pardew is better off signing players already proven. he has no idea about nurturing youth players.

• G

May 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

@12, I’d rather he ruined cheap imports than pricey established stars mate. Not many players seem to improve under AP.

• DokToon

May 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

TDS…

woohoo, i was in the top three…. what did i win?

May 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Spoof

And didn’t Keegan’s tactics work well in the end…entertaining for a while but ultimately fruitless…

I’m defensive because I think people go overboard in criticising my club. If someone was on here saying that they felt 2 signings and we’ll push for the CL, then I’d probably tell them I think they’re getting carried away too…

One problem is that many of the issues that people are blaming on Mike Ashley are symptomatic of a general change in football. They’re no longer community clubs where the vast amount of revenue comes from the local fans and where the sponsors primarily target that audience. What are 52,000 Geordies compared to a global audience of billions these days? Talking commercially here of course…

May 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM

DokToon

The admiration of all on the blog! 🙂

May 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM

And so you know…I predicted
    8th place
    56 points
    SF for League Cup
    5th round for FA Cup
    3 players signed
    2 sold
    Cisse top scorer with 15 goals
    Pardew not to be sacked

• Go toon gooooo

May 20, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Try to keep Loic Remy with a lot of money and the striker problem for 2014-15 year is solved.And by the way Alan Pardew out.

• cestriasteve

May 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Our priority in all this transfer none sense should be:

A, a director of football

B, an attacking midfielder

C, 2 centre forwards.

A DOF should be appointed now to act on the clubs behalf and have a consultative approach with both Fatty and Pardew.

I keep harping on about this but we should go hell for leather to get Grenier, he is a class act and an improvement on Cabaye for the EPL.

Shawcross, we can only dream, I bet we take pickings from what went down, god help us if it’s caulker as he can’t defend a set piece to save his life.

• Spoof

May 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

TDS, your still missing the main point aren’t you, football now is a business and a sports club, but they have to work together to help each other, if the business side is good that helps the football side to develope and when the football side developes it helps the business side to generate more cash and bigger profits and when that happens the football side can improve further and so on and so on they have to work hand in hand for one another, as it stands even by yourself who has asked for more financial input that is not happening and we are now purely just a business, why can you not see this.

• Sazzer

May 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM

ToonDarnSarf
    Oh it was that bad.

I blame Ashley, Pardew, JF**Kinnear, the local press, Doctor Ed, PSG, anybody except myself for not winning the league or cup or whatever hmm…not me…predicted.

• cestriasteve

May 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Go toon,

Remy wants London, the guy is trouble in my opinion.

• Toon Tang

May 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Never going to happen, Ashley would have to fork out for stenna stair lifts all over the damn place.

• martoon

May 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM

TDSarf interesting results thanks for doing that – I’m quite chuffed with my predictions:-
    League Position 10
    No of points 48
    League Cup 5
    FA Cup 3
    Players Signed 4
    Players Sold 2
    Top Goal Scorer Cisse
    No of Goals 15
    Not to be sacked

May 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Spoof

Not missing the point at all. The truth is that the top 4 clubs are the ones with the massive revenue due to the CL and the associated revenue from sponsors that go with it. Considering there are 5 very big and very wealthy clubs going for those 4 places, one of them is always going to miss out. Then you have the likes of Everton, Spurs and us who are big clubs but really we’re fighting for the scraps these days. And there is no good reason that our revenue should be vastly more than the likes of Southampton or Swansea given the way that the TV money is the majority of a club’s income.

The only realistic way that we can grow our club (both financially and on the pitch) is to establish ourselves as a stable top 10 PL club over a period of years. That attracts bigger sponsors, better young players and obviously keeps the money rolling in. One bad year and things are virtually set back to zero. It’s crucial.

May 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Sazzer

Errr…yeah..4th place with 75pts, 23 goals from Cisse and runner up in both cups…nice idea. 🙂

May 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM

martoon

Yup, pretty damn accurate! If I had the time I guess I could have worked out a points system that rewarded you for being 1 point off the total tally and also 1 goal off the goal prediction too, but that’s far too much effort!

Now, I shall be looking forward to reading your predictions before the season starts this year too!

• DokToon

May 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM

sazzer,

d much rather had your predictions come true sir 🙂

• lesh

May 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Hang on…. We were willing to pay £9m last year and now he might be too old at 29?

Were we really in for him last year or was that more tripe served to our long-suffering fans?

• martoon

May 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM

ToonDarnSarf @27 – Next season’s predictions are going to be tricky because assuming we do bring in some new players you’ve got the team gelling and acclimatising to the premiere league factors to take account of.

• the broons

May 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Decided to get in on the act of start of season predictions,
    league position: 12th (didn’t expect remy to be as prolific)
    FA cup: 4th round (our woeful record in recent seasons combined with the fact pardew didn’t want a cup run)
    league cup: 5th round ( exact same reasons as FA cup only less prestigous)

I know that them are very underwhelming predictions but felt with the current situation at the time. Pardew was the least of out troubles.

I’ll wait until transfers are complete before making next season predictions.

• the broons

May 20, 2014 at 3:57 PM

lesh,

exactly the whole transfer situation at this club is total farce.
    The thing probably holding us back is the wages, agent fee and if the rumours are true Inter are sniffing around him.

• Spoof

May 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM

TDS, as I say you are missing the point as you yourself have said, we have to compete and try to improve, even if it is gradual, you still have to improve on the field which then enables you to be stronger competitors off it and vice versa, yet like myself you also wish that the club would buy young and established stars which could aid both parties but you then you harp on about establishing ourselves as a top side when you have just said that you do want us to purchase ready made stars for now and younger ones for the future, you still cannot see it can you, you are actually stating that we aren’t established enough on the pitch by admitting that we do need to buy established players but then you say we have to be established to do that, as I said, you are missing the point aren’t you, do you have any idea how contradictory you are sounding.

• Rotonda heights

May 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I can’t believe anyone would be so idiotic and ignorant to knock KK.

We are a million miles from finishing 2nd twice (Dalglish only there at the end the second time,) and 3rd once as we did under KK.

We were the most entertaining team on the planet. Imagine the polar opposite to Pardew both in footballing terms and as a man and you have KK.

Plus looking at the stats under KK our defense really wasn’t so bad at all.

Yes it was ultimately glorious failure but the happiest most exciting time ever because everyone bought in to KK. God knows what vision Pardew’s trying to sell.

• beermonkey

May 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM

so fat sam gets to stay at west ham

he gets a new attacking coach
    considerable funds

and has to deliver a top 10 finish
    and more attacking footie

May 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM

martoon

Very true. Well, it will be interesting to see how highly (or otherwise) fans value our new signings!

May 20, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Spoof

I’m not contradictory at all! I’m talking different points here. We know Ashley won’t buy players at the peak of their game because he wants resale value, so we will continue to buy players at that level just below the CL level, then hopefully see them grow to that level during their time here. Like Krul, Cabaye and Tiote have been linked to big moves.

Obviously that’s connected but it’s not the same point as establishing ourselves as a solid top 10 club.

I’m not sure the comment that I said regarding signing established players, I think there’s a difference between signing a 25 year old with a couple of caps who wants to prove himself in the PL, establish himself in his international team and maybe earn himself a move to a big CL club when he’s at his peak at 28 compared to signing the 28 year old at his peak. Ashley just won’t do the latter.

Obviously we need signings for the first team and we also need signings (cheaper) who might break into the first team in the next year or two.

I said we’ll attract better players if we’re a solid top 10 team, not that we need to be in the top 10 to attract any of them. A player can join Everton or Spurs and be fairly confident that they could be there for 2 years, 3 years or more and not have to face a relegation battle. Not true with us, not at the moment.

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

May 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

having watched lyon quite a lot think gomis is ideal for ncle . apart from the fact he is on a free he is a good team player,drags players out of position scores goals and uses the offside rules brilliantly and does not give as against marseille getting stuffed but scored a goal out of half chance . lacazette never looks as good when he does not play. the goals given for him are incorrect . he actually scored 14 in 29 +4 sub in league and 9 in cups and european . the chronicle who i have no faith in say at end of perez article we are in france trying to sign strikers .hope for once they are right and that it is gomis ,aboubakar who they have watched previously 16 goals 7 assists this season and is in early twenties , and for dev squad aboubakar camara from bottom club

• Average_Contents

May 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Anyway……..the girls play better than our mens team lol and the two goals were excellent finishes! Let’s sign em up to the men’s team, save fatty some cash!

• Average_Contents

May 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM

At one point a left back had the ball near her own goal and dawdled far too long for my liking then hoofed it up field….Don’t let the puppet see this because he’d have her signed up within seconds! Who am I kidding it’d take f*****g weeks 😉