The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Is This Top Free Agent Really Too Old For Newcastle?

2:36 pm, Tuesday, May 20th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 106 Comments

Bafe Gomis was our number one target last summer, but we failed to bring the striker to Newcastle even though a fee of around £9M was agreed for the player, but the news was that his agents were too greedy,  and wanted too much money from Newcastle to close the deal, and Newcastle didn’t get him to Tyneside.

bafe gomis Alexandre Lacazette

Bafe Gomis of Lyon –  is he too old for Newcastle?
Another Newcastle target –  Alexandre Lacazette  – is in the background

But Gomis will be 29 in August, and new Managing Director Lee Charnley has already reiterated that we will continue our strategy of signing players around 26 years old or younger, whose best years are ahead of them.

Its been obvious that Gomis would leave Lyon in the summer for a long time, but Football Direct News is reporting the news today as if it was a big deal, and they report that both Newcastle and Tottenham could be in for the striker.

After a bit of a tempestuous summer with his club Lyon, Bafe – to his credit as a professional – settled in for the last year of his five years at Lyon ,and he had a very decent season, and scored 17 goals in 34 total appearances for Lyon last season, a very decent record.

With Shola Ameobi not apparently willing to stay on at the club,  Newcastle may have to bring in as many as three top first team strikers this summer, so we only hope that if Bafe is not a target – we can get three good strikers through the door before September rolls around.

And even Papiss Cisse, who seems like he will be staying on Tyneside, failed to impress when Loic Remy was out injured – and if it wasn’t for the Frenchman last season, Newcastle would never have finished in the top ten.

Newcastle may be forced to bring somebody like Bafe Gomis in,  just to ensure we have enough goal scoring power power next season.

As a free agent and so much cheaper than he was last summer, we think Bafe would be a good signing for Newcastle, even if he is a year older.

What do you think?

Tags: Premier League · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

106 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // May 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM

He’s still too slow for the Prem. He has an eye for goal, and his instinct is superb. Unfortunately he’s slower than continental drift.

• 2 stephen30 // May 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM

im not an itk and i dont have sources but i can confirm perez walked into the stadium at 9:30 this morning with a load of guys in suits as i was driving by when he got out the car

• 3 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Ok…summary from the predictions we made at the beginning of the season…

Average predicted finish = 11th (actually 10th)
    Over half of fans predicted a bottom half finish.

Average number of points predicted = 49. Spot on!

Less than half predicted a better fun in the League Cup, less than a quarter predicted a worse run and more than a quarter got it spot on.

Only 2 people predicted a worse FA Cup run and only 3 quarters predicted better.

Considering 2 players signed (albeit on loan), that was the average.

Considering 2 players sold (Perch and Cabaye) that was the average too.

Just about a quarter had Remy as top scorer, almost all the rest had Cisse (oops).

The average number of league goals predicted was 15, just one more than Remy got.

3 fifths said that Pardew would not be sacked so 2 fifths were correct.

• 4 mindshaft // May 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

It depends on the length of contract he insists on, I would imagine that he and his agent would want a hefty signing on fee and a four / five year contract on top wages.
    With no sell on value I think Ash and co will look elsewhere

• 5 G // May 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM

@4 agreed. I’m thinking Kluivert again here.

• 6 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 2:46 PM

And if we award a winner for each accurate prediction…the winners are…

magicbus
    Transfer Sage
    DokToon

Those just behind were:
    check the toastie
    toonarmydownsouth
    ToonDownSouth
    geordie157
    martoon
    cbtoon82
    Noah Another Ameobi

And those who got absolutely nothing right…
    Barton
    jayphoto
    Sazzer

• 7 mindshaft // May 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

@TDS – that shows 2 things
    Some people know jack all.
    The stuff we expected (i.e. 11th and 49 points) we’re complain like f00k about … hehe

Aye- that’ll be me on both counts!

• 8 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Overall, it looks like the season was about what we expected it to be…a slightly poorer run in the FA Cup and we expected Cisse to outscore Remy. But pretty similar.

• 9 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM

mindshaft

Well Black and White with an army lol, Indian Magpie, Barton, mattnufc and curmon all had us with 40 points or less!

• 10 FAU // May 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM

remy-dejong-ameobi, 3 out. So 3 in.
    if MA stll not giving $$$ to Pardew again to spend for addleast two decent attackers. I would get a sniper and shot him.

p.s Jordan Rhodes one of them please.(scores add least 20goals a season in last 5 season) , 24 y.o, Wenger wanted him 2season ago. We know Wenger’s scouting team pretty good since late 90’s.

• 11 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

from 2 threads earlier

TDS
    look m8, as fans we all want the same, but like football tactics its all about how you achieve them, now KK had the philosophy that the best form of defence is attack whereas Jose Mourinho believes that the best form of attack is to defend and exploit any gaps which are left, now when it comes to our club at present we do not see any structure to the club, all we see and here is what affects the finances, now are the finances important , of course they are, to compete on the field you have to compete off it.

What we as fans want to see is a balance, but are we getting that, in all honesty not even yourself can say that we are getting that balance as you have said yourself that you would like to see kids like Perez signed but at the same time you would also like to see players who are ready now to also be signed, and that is not happening here, basically you agree with the majority on most of the issues which we have but then you get yourself into heated debates because you defend the people who are preventing us and yourself from allowing the club to be ran the way we and yourself would like it to be ran, there is understandably a lot of negativity around, but more so when you are on because what you preach on one hand contradicts what you preach on the other hand.

Newcastle United is a football club, football is a sport, the whole point of sport is too compete and try your best to win, when an athlete is on the starting blocks all they concentrate on is trying to get to the finishing line first, when I was at school on sports day I would be on the starting line listening, ready steady go and the whole world would stop, nothing would matter apart from that bloody finishing line and was I determined to get their first, was I not and I usually did, my teacher then sent me for county trials, what a disaster, 100 metres and I must have been 30 metres behind and I came plum last, my teacher went spare as he new I was better than that he could tell due to the lack of determination in my face during the race that I didn’t make the effort, he sent me back again, what a difference, I ran my bloody heart out, I still only came 4th and still failed to make the team but due to desire I did improve, when I came last the lad who came second was in my second race and I beat him, quite simply I was not good enough, but what I showed was the essence of sport, ignore all around you and achieve the maximum that you possibly can, Newcastle United football club is a sporting club, alledgedly !

The reason I mention about sport and what sport should stand for is that due to what I am now witnessing at Newcastle is that Newcastle as a sporting club is now secondary to Newcastle as being a business, and that is wrong, so back to the beginning, TDS, the reason why you have so many enemies is due to your Mourinho defensive tactics, after so many years it is obviously not working so it is time for a change, that is why the majority are adopting the Keegan approach of attack, attack and attack, and if it doesn’t work then attack that little bit harder.

• 12 ilovetoon8788 // May 20, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Ayoze looks like a player with decent potential. But i have no hope in our club and its system in developing players.

just look at what happened to adam campbell vuckic etc. and pardew’s way of giving them 2 minutes run out.

lol. we’ll screw him up and ruin him. if he’s smart he wont come here.

pardew is better off signing players already proven. he has no idea about nurturing youth players.

• 13 G // May 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

@12, I’d rather he ruined cheap imports than pricey established stars mate. Not many players seem to improve under AP.

• 14 DokToon // May 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

TDS…

woohoo, i was in the top three…. what did i win?

• 15 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Spoof

And didn’t Keegan’s tactics work well in the end…entertaining for a while but ultimately fruitless…

I’m defensive because I think people go overboard in criticising my club. If someone was on here saying that they felt 2 signings and we’ll push for the CL, then I’d probably tell them I think they’re getting carried away too…

One problem is that many of the issues that people are blaming on Mike Ashley are symptomatic of a general change in football. They’re no longer community clubs where the vast amount of revenue comes from the local fans and where the sponsors primarily target that audience. What are 52,000 Geordies compared to a global audience of billions these days? Talking commercially here of course…

• 16 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM

DokToon

The admiration of all on the blog! :-)

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM

And so you know…I predicted
    8th place
    56 points
    SF for League Cup
    5th round for FA Cup
    3 players signed
    2 sold
    Cisse top scorer with 15 goals
    Pardew not to be sacked

• 18 Go toon gooooo // May 20, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Try to keep Loic Remy with a lot of money and the striker problem for 2014-15 year is solved.And by the way Alan Pardew out.

• 19 cestriasteve // May 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Our priority in all this transfer none sense should be:

A, a director of football

B, an attacking midfielder

C, 2 centre forwards.

A DOF should be appointed now to act on the clubs behalf and have a consultative approach with both Fatty and Pardew.

I keep harping on about this but we should go hell for leather to get Grenier, he is a class act and an improvement on Cabaye for the EPL.

Shawcross, we can only dream, I bet we take pickings from what went down, god help us if it’s caulker as he can’t defend a set piece to save his life.

• 20 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

TDS, your still missing the main point aren’t you, football now is a business and a sports club, but they have to work together to help each other, if the business side is good that helps the football side to develope and when the football side developes it helps the business side to generate more cash and bigger profits and when that happens the football side can improve further and so on and so on they have to work hand in hand for one another, as it stands even by yourself who has asked for more financial input that is not happening and we are now purely just a business, why can you not see this.

• 21 Sazzer // May 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM

ToonDarnSarf
    Oh it was that bad.

I blame Ashley, Pardew, JF**Kinnear, the local press, Doctor Ed, PSG, anybody except myself for not winning the league or cup or whatever hmm…not me…predicted.

• 22 cestriasteve // May 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Go toon,

Remy wants London, the guy is trouble in my opinion.

• 23 Toon Tang // May 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Never going to happen, Ashley would have to fork out for stenna stair lifts all over the damn place.

• 24 martoon // May 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM

TDSarf interesting results thanks for doing that – I’m quite chuffed with my predictions:-
    League Position 10
    No of points 48
    League Cup 5
    FA Cup 3
    Players Signed 4
    Players Sold 2
    Top Goal Scorer Cisse
    No of Goals 15
    Not to be sacked

• 25 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Spoof

Not missing the point at all. The truth is that the top 4 clubs are the ones with the massive revenue due to the CL and the associated revenue from sponsors that go with it. Considering there are 5 very big and very wealthy clubs going for those 4 places, one of them is always going to miss out. Then you have the likes of Everton, Spurs and us who are big clubs but really we’re fighting for the scraps these days. And there is no good reason that our revenue should be vastly more than the likes of Southampton or Swansea given the way that the TV money is the majority of a club’s income.

The only realistic way that we can grow our club (both financially and on the pitch) is to establish ourselves as a stable top 10 PL club over a period of years. That attracts bigger sponsors, better young players and obviously keeps the money rolling in. One bad year and things are virtually set back to zero. It’s crucial.

• 26 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Sazzer

Errr…yeah..4th place with 75pts, 23 goals from Cisse and runner up in both cups…nice idea. :-)

• 27 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM

martoon

Yup, pretty damn accurate! If I had the time I guess I could have worked out a points system that rewarded you for being 1 point off the total tally and also 1 goal off the goal prediction too, but that’s far too much effort!

Now, I shall be looking forward to reading your predictions before the season starts this year too!

• 28 DokToon // May 20, 2014 at 3:48 PM

sazzer,

d much rather had your predictions come true sir :)

• 29 lesh // May 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Hang on…. We were willing to pay £9m last year and now he might be too old at 29?

Were we really in for him last year or was that more tripe served to our long-suffering fans?

• 30 martoon // May 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM

ToonDarnSarf @27 – Next season’s predictions are going to be tricky because assuming we do bring in some new players you’ve got the team gelling and acclimatising to the premiere league factors to take account of.

• 31 the broons // May 20, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Decided to get in on the act of start of season predictions,
    league position: 12th (didn’t expect remy to be as prolific)
    FA cup: 4th round (our woeful record in recent seasons combined with the fact pardew didn’t want a cup run)
    league cup: 5th round ( exact same reasons as FA cup only less prestigous)

I know that them are very underwhelming predictions but felt with the current situation at the time. Pardew was the least of out troubles.

I’ll wait until transfers are complete before making next season predictions.

• 32 the broons // May 20, 2014 at 3:57 PM

lesh,

exactly the whole transfer situation at this club is total farce.
    The thing probably holding us back is the wages, agent fee and if the rumours are true Inter are sniffing around him.

• 33 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM

TDS, as I say you are missing the point as you yourself have said, we have to compete and try to improve, even if it is gradual, you still have to improve on the field which then enables you to be stronger competitors off it and vice versa, yet like myself you also wish that the club would buy young and established stars which could aid both parties but you then you harp on about establishing ourselves as a top side when you have just said that you do want us to purchase ready made stars for now and younger ones for the future, you still cannot see it can you, you are actually stating that we aren’t established enough on the pitch by admitting that we do need to buy established players but then you say we have to be established to do that, as I said, you are missing the point aren’t you, do you have any idea how contradictory you are sounding.

• 34 Rotonda heights // May 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I can’t believe anyone would be so idiotic and ignorant to knock KK.

We are a million miles from finishing 2nd twice (Dalglish only there at the end the second time,) and 3rd once as we did under KK.

We were the most entertaining team on the planet. Imagine the polar opposite to Pardew both in footballing terms and as a man and you have KK.

Plus looking at the stats under KK our defense really wasn’t so bad at all.

Yes it was ultimately glorious failure but the happiest most exciting time ever because everyone bought in to KK. God knows what vision Pardew’s trying to sell.

• 35 beermonkey // May 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM

so fat sam gets to stay at west ham

he gets a new attacking coach
    considerable funds

and has to deliver a top 10 finish
    and more attacking footie

• 36 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 4:04 PM

martoon

Very true. Well, it will be interesting to see how highly (or otherwise) fans value our new signings!

• 37 ToonDarnSarf // May 20, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Spoof

I’m not contradictory at all! I’m talking different points here. We know Ashley won’t buy players at the peak of their game because he wants resale value, so we will continue to buy players at that level just below the CL level, then hopefully see them grow to that level during their time here. Like Krul, Cabaye and Tiote have been linked to big moves.

Obviously that’s connected but it’s not the same point as establishing ourselves as a solid top 10 club.

I’m not sure the comment that I said regarding signing established players, I think there’s a difference between signing a 25 year old with a couple of caps who wants to prove himself in the PL, establish himself in his international team and maybe earn himself a move to a big CL club when he’s at his peak at 28 compared to signing the 28 year old at his peak. Ashley just won’t do the latter.

Obviously we need signings for the first team and we also need signings (cheaper) who might break into the first team in the next year or two.

I said we’ll attract better players if we’re a solid top 10 team, not that we need to be in the top 10 to attract any of them. A player can join Everton or Spurs and be fairly confident that they could be there for 2 years, 3 years or more and not have to face a relegation battle. Not true with us, not at the moment.

• 38 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // May 20, 2014 at 4:13 PM

having watched lyon quite a lot think gomis is ideal for ncle . apart from the fact he is on a free he is a good team player,drags players out of position scores goals and uses the offside rules brilliantly and does not give as against marseille getting stuffed but scored a goal out of half chance . lacazette never looks as good when he does not play. the goals given for him are incorrect . he actually scored 14 in 29 +4 sub in league and 9 in cups and european . the chronicle who i have no faith in say at end of perez article we are in france trying to sign strikers .hope for once they are right and that it is gomis ,aboubakar who they have watched previously 16 goals 7 assists this season and is in early twenties , and for dev squad aboubakar camara from bottom club

• 39 Average_Contents // May 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Anyway……..the girls play better than our mens team lol and the two goals were excellent finishes! Let’s sign em up to the men’s team, save fatty some cash!

• 40 Average_Contents // May 20, 2014 at 4:22 PM

At one point a left back had the ball near her own goal and dawdled far too long for my liking then hoofed it up field….Don’t let the puppet see this because he’d have her signed up within seconds! Who am I kidding it’d take f*****g weeks ;)

• 41 Average_Contents // May 20, 2014 at 4:23 PM

At one point a left back had the ball near her own goal and dawdled far too long for my liking then hoofed it up field….Don’t let the puppet see this because he’d have her signed up within seconds! Who am I kidding it’d take fuskin weeks ;)

• 42 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Rotonda, the season KK got us to second (12 point lead season) we conceded 37 goals, from that season to the present we have only once conceded fewer goals in a season, and that was when we were in the Championship, it’s often said that attack is the best form of defence, but the facts are as a defensive coach in the Premier league era Kevin Keegan was the best we had, would you believe it, mind in fairness we conceded so few because our opponents keeper spent so much time picking the ball out of his net that his team mates didn’t have that much time to score against us ! the good times, I wish I was still living them. ?

• 43 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // May 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM

cant understand who can have picked out grenier and ldj most posters on here could do better. to cestriasteve at 19 i hope we dont go for grenier .if he was better than cabs psg would have signed him as he was younger and cheaper.he is lethargic , lazy and gutless, roughed up in training by his captain acouple of years ago because of his attitude. has taken 148 dead balls 63 shots and has 4 goals and five assists . when he was out injured for 5 matches the team had better results against good teams without him . i would rather sign his replacement who scored 2 screamers 1 in the win against psg . all all inho

• 44 Sazzer // May 20, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I but not me had to go back checking the predictions and I noticed you missed a lot of people answering TDS.

4 th with 75 points. Yikes, why was I but not me so conservative. Definitely a win next year if only…this and this..happens…look at Liverpool…without that mistake by Gerrard…we should have signed Sakho….next year

4 players in yeah I but not me blame JF**K for that and all of this + those others already blamed + F.A and the guy that invented the ability to transfer players and Jim White and the whole damn deadline day.

4 transfer in:
    Sakho next to Mbiwa had 4 th place written all over it (or not).

Thauvin and Ben-arfa would have made Cisse top scorer for sure (or not).

The prediction would have been spot on.
    Matri would had scored a hattrick in his debut then gone missing. But it wouldn’t matter since Cisse would have scored 23 goals with that extra competition like Ba offered.

If Pardew would have gotten sacked and Joe Kinnear would have taken over things and would have gone according to plan.

Joe Kinnear would have won manager of year instead of Tony Pulis and the prediction would have been dead on.

• 45 Black and White with an army lol // May 20, 2014 at 4:38 PM

ToonDarnSarf

I predicted we finish 10th & I don’t know where you got I said we will have less than 40 points?

but for next season I predict the bottom 3 regardless of who we sign

• 46 Black and White with an army lol // May 20, 2014 at 4:42 PM

1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

about Gomis at your post @36

I hate to burst your bubble mate but gomis has the worse offside record in Europe this season so saying he’s brilliant at spotting the offside trap makes you sound like a fool.

No offence :)

• 47 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

TDS, as far as established players go, these are your words

Let’s face it, the average NUFC football fan is a pretty simple creature to deal with. As far as our football club goes, we want a release from the rest of our lives by cheering on our club with thousands of like-minded individuals to entertain and then share in success or glorious failure. And we want to feel that transfer policies, tactics and the like are geared towards doing that. Maybe someone should tell Mike Ashley…

so obviously you must feel that like the majority of us our transfer dealings aren’t good enough, and then you said

We need to be signing more players like him and bringing more through to the first team. We’d still need at least one big striker and another forward player (unless Arma is seriously ready for the first team perhaps).

so unless I am mistaken you would like to see a player who is ready now, which translates into established, would you not agree.

• 48 toonarmydownsouth // May 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

@ToonArmyJayne: Mike Ashley HAS sucked the life out of a great club #Ashleyout #NUFC

• 49 Sazzer // May 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM

DokToon
    It would have been nice.

Prediction for next year since I’m beyond decent at this:
    League Position 17
    No of points 34
    League Cup as early as possible
    FA Cup as early as possible
    Players Signed – Maybe a few + Shola Ameobi and Gosling on loan from Hull and Bournemouth
    Players Sold – Is Krul next?
    Top Goal Scorer – Gouffran and Shola
    No of Goals 8
    Pardew not to be sacked

• 50 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 4:58 PM

@46, is that a prediction or is that Mike Ashley’s wish, premier league and its money for the following season but no player bonus’s paid out ?

• 51 Sazzer // May 20, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Spoof – I’m putting my eggs in on Ashley wishes this year. He’s part of board now and everything.

Kinnear definitely screwed things up for him this year by getting Remy on loan this year and deserved to be sacked.

• 52 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Sazzer, the wages we paid Remy were what he was getting at QPR, we were paying the full amount and not a proportion, the only reason we failed to sign him permanently was due to Ashley not being prepared to pay the going wages for good players, it wasn’t JFK’s fault m8 as we missed that boat before JFK joined us, it was tight ar$e Ashleys fault, but yes he deserved to be sacked, but not due to Remy as he done nothing wrong there.

• 53 Jail for Ashley // May 20, 2014 at 5:39 PM

TDSarf,
    If Mike Mashley won’t buy players over a certain age without a resale value, and you seem quite certain of this, would you now admit, like Lesh says that the club completely mislead us with the whole Gomis debacle of last summer.

• 54 Jail for Ashley // May 20, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Sazzer,
    Do you honestly believe JfK was in an actual position where he was allowed to screw up ?

• 55 Jail for Ashley // May 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Sazzer,
    Your answer to this question will answer my last.
    Do you think JfK wrote his own programme notes ?

• 56 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM

After Mike has his moob job this summer lads he has to buy a whole new wardrobe. That means very little left to spend on players. Think Nile Ranger.

• 57 Jail for Ashley // May 20, 2014 at 5:48 PM

TDsarf,
    With an extra 20/25 thousand more paying customers buying Shirts, pies, programmes and the like, our revenue should be quite a bit more than Soton and Swansea.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // May 20, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Spoof,
    From earlier, I was being sar-car-stic

• 59 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM

We all know that wor Mike pays careful attention to what Freddy Shephard says. Freddy says we need to spend 40M this summer, so Mike will get right on it won’t you Mike? It’s good to have influential friends at the club isn’t it? :)

• 60 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM

You know maybe Remy just didn’t want to come here permanently! Maybe it’s just that simple?

• 61 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Remy is going to be so jealous next season jesper mate. He’s going to go to some pathetic team like Arsenal or
    Spurs and we’re going to sail along without him. We have Shola and Armstrong after all! Beautiful.

• 62 Thump // May 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM

I’d sooner just give Shola a new contract, if that’s the case. He’d probably be of more use…

• 63 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Did we ever finish our discussion about how many prongs we need in wor attack lads? I know Alan is fully confident that a 1 prong attack is the way to go. I favour an attacking trio but that’s a lot of prongs for wor Alan to count and keep track of. Should the club hire a prong counter for Alan?

• 64 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Yes! Ohhhh yes! Now we’ve got it lads. Sign Shola to a new long term contract. Bring back Nile Ranger. Use only 1 prong whenever possible. Sit well back and defend at all times. Gradually the supporters will fall asleep at the matches and stop complaining. Lovely.

• 65 Graeme // May 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM

The Shields Gazette reckon we are chasing Cabella!!! We shall see!!!!

• 66 Sazzer // May 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

1949
    I have watched Lyon a couple of times this season and I have been very disappointed. Grenier has potential but need to up his intensity if he’s going to make it here. I’m still unsure about Gomis he’s plan C but I would have him over Gignac.

• 67 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Jail, thank god for that, you had me worried bonny lad, having said that if I didn’t have my noddy head on I would have realised that straight away, today is my birthday and it has been a long day, you know how it is, a bit like Christmas, phone call after phone call saying thank you for present’s which are now in the bin ?

• 68 Sazzer // May 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Graeme
    Happy New year!

• 69 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Just looking at Alan’s plan of attack next season sent to me by another Blog Hobbit. It looks very interesting. Alan plans to use the isolated single striker method. Shola by himself, waiting for hoofballs from Willo. If we trail at the half we will immediately go more defensive to try to keep the score from getting embarrassing. Beautiful.

• 70 beermonkey // May 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM

who is the other blog hobbit
    we demand to know

• 71 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I know a lot of you are concerned about next season. But according to John Carver things are really looking up mates! We hope to possibly even sign someone! Yes that’s right, you heard it hear first. We are going to try to sign someone! This is so exciting. Does that special someone play football I wonder? Are they lacking any limbs, in particular legs? Will we get a discount if they are missing something important? I’m getting anxious to hear more from wor Carver.

• 72 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM

GT, if Willo is going to hoof it long to Shola then he will have to get some meat on those thigh’s of his, hoofing it from the Toon to Hull will take some doing lol

• 73 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I’m sorry beermonkey mate I can’t divulge that information. He is my deep covert agent within the club. Don’t worry lads I’ve made sure he shaves his feet.

• 74 beermonkey // May 20, 2014 at 6:31 PM

g2

how can we be sure he is a blog hobbit and not a troll

• 75 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Don’t panic lads! It’s all lies by Steve Bruce about Shola going to Hull. He will never leave us. He still can’t find most of his bling in the flat he has so he just can’t afford to leave Newcastle. :shock:

• 76 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 6:32 PM

GT, sorry m8 but you have misunderstood John Carver, when he said we are looking up, he meant it literally as in the league table, as there may be nothing below us to look down on ?

• 77 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Ahhh. Difficult one there beermonkey. I’ve had him over to Blog End for a pipe and a pint and he was fairly well behaved. Plus my dagger didn’t glow blue. I’ll keep an eye on him though.

• 78 Sazzer // May 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Spoof
    I meant that Kinnear screwed up Ashleys wish or plan of a below 10 finish by getting Remy on loan and from Ashleys point of view deserved the sack for making the players get a bonus this year.

Jail for Ashley
    We all have no idea what Kinnear did or didn’t do for the most part.

We do know he made a couple of interviews and

we all assume that he was, let’s put it, heavily revised in his program notes.

• 79 beermonkey // May 20, 2014 at 6:35 PM

isn’t it orks and dorks that make the blade glow blue

question is how do we spot a blog troll

• 80 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Shame on you Spoofy, thinking like that! Harrumph! This is a brave new adventure beginning this summer. Here we are busy counting wor prongs and planning the attack and you try to bring us down from our usual off-season high. :(

• 81 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Spotting a blog troll is very difficult beermonkey. They are pernicious trouble makers. They are usually welsh.

• 82 welshgeordie9 // May 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Can you name 2 songs that ends in the same tune I’ve got rolf harries sun arise and Christmas song walking in the winter wonderland.

Sun arise, she bring in the morning
    Sun arise, bring in the morning
    Walking in the winter wonderland

• 83 Ulster_Toon // May 20, 2014 at 6:38 PM

We’ve been linked with this lad in a few sources. Looks decent enough. Mind you we’ve had a few youtube signings which didn’t go down so well before… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f7HXdYwASA&feature=player_embedded

• 84 welshgeordie9 // May 20, 2014 at 6:40 PM

god I’m good

• 85 beermonkey // May 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM

g2

I know off some welsh ladies very troll like I would say

• 86 welshgeordie9 // May 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM

That was good timing GeordieTwo mentioning the welsh again

Tut tut tut

• 87 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Have you been sniffing petrol fumes again welshie mate?

• 88 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Sazzer, seriously, if I ever join a Newcastle discussion half way through it and someone says “so and so should be sacked”, I would agree before asking who they were talking about, is anyone at that club worth keeping, some would fight for Graham Carr, but in all honesty I even have my doubts about him, Tiote was recommended to KK by Chris Hughton before Carr joined us, Cabaye was already an international so hardly a find, as was Ba,, the lesser known players like Marveaux, Obertan and Amilifatano have been nothing short of disasterous, even Anita was forced by Carr and he is woeful, like I say, when it comes to us and the word sack is mentioned, then yes, what harm can be done ?

• 89 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Now getting back to the important business. Wor attack. Do we really need a Plan B? Could it involve Ashley streaking across the pitch to show off his new moobs?

• 90 Sazzer // May 20, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Even if Kinnear had no say in the deal he still got Remy firing by this pat on the back.

• 91 welshgeordie9 // May 20, 2014 at 6:46 PM

no I’ve not been sniffing petrol fumes

Not yet anyway

Ha ha ha

• 92 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM

GT, sorry sir and I accept the punishment of 1000 lines.

I must act as if I am deluded like ToonDarnSarf
    I must act as if I am deluded like ToonDarnSarf
    I must act as if I am deluded like ToonDarnSarf
    I must act as if I am deluded like ToonDarnSarf
    I must act as if I am deluded like ToonDarnSarf

I’m sure you get my drift lol.

• 93 welshgeordie9 // May 20, 2014 at 6:49 PM

It’s very clever if you think about it

Sing the Rolf harries song from the start and end the words with the Christmas song tune and you have got 2 in 1

I’m so talented i frighten myself

• 94 welshgeordie9 // May 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM

i feel like singing Christmas songs come to think of it

• 95 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM

GT…how much do you pay for a gallon petrol in Canada?

• 96 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Very well then Spoofy. If you’ve written out your lines we can get back to important footy discussion with the proper optimistic tone. Now, do we really need a Cabaye replacement? We’ve got Bigi and Abeid. That should be more than enough according to Alan. What he badly needs is a decent prong counter.

• 97 Spoof // May 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM

welsh,
    apart from “Two little boys” I can’t say that I am too familiar with Rolf Harris songs, prefer classical music to be honest, has so much more life and soul to it.

• 98 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:57 PM

We’re very eco friendly here in Canada jesper mate. In the winter we just use sleds pulled by huskies. In the summer we roller blade. We sell all our petrol to the Americans for their SUVs.

• 99 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Just teasing jesper. We pay about $1.50 per liter.

• 100 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // May 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM

GT…I remember when I was in the States a gallon petrol was something like $2.80 and here in Denmark it’s probably $9 :D lol

• 101 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 7:07 PM

In the States they pay about 3.50 to 4.00 per US gallon now jesper (3.8 liters to the gallon) so still very cheap compared with anywhere else.

• 102 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Is Van Gaal going to be able to compete with the tactical genius known as Alain Perdue? He is probably trembling with fear already! :lol:

• 103 GeordieTwo // May 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Welshie are there elves singing with you? Yes, that’s definitely a petrol fume problem mate.

• 104 Sazzer // May 20, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Spoof
    It was never about if Kinnear deserved the sack or not but about Ashleys being unhappy about a top 10 finish because of he had to pay out the bonus going back to the comment about Mash wishes you made on my not so serious prediction for next year.

Following your line of thoughts:
    Yeah one wouldn’t be bother with most of them being sacked. But your argument against Carr isn’t fair. If he deserves stick for Obertan then he deserves cred for Cabaye.

• 105 Toonfan8 // May 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I have seen this Ayoze Pérez boy and he looks great for his age, he reminds me Luis Suarez. Lassoga reminds me Alan Shearer, so if we can get these two boys at NUFC and also Bafe Gomis, we will have really good strikers…also bring one CB like Caulker or Richards, or both…CM Rodwell,Grenier and wingers Ince,Zaha,Townsend and we can have exciting team and I forgot on Forster, I prefer selling Krul and bring in Forster…imagine that team
    ………………………….Forster…………………..