It’s that time of year again, when Newcastle are linked with an awful lot of players, and it’s always hard to know which ones we are really after, and some players we are linked with, you just know we cannot be interested in.
Alan Pardew – interested in Mark Noble?
And today we have been linked with five players – so it’s a slow day in the transfer market for Newcastle United.
Here are the players we are linked with just today:
- Ryan Shawcross of Stoke City is a very good English center-back, but Manchester City are also said to be interested in him, but why would Mark Hughes want to lose his Player of the Season in the summer? The truth is he doesn’t and even if a club bids £12M for him, which is said to be his price, Stoke may still not sell one of their very best players, and a stalwart at the back for the Potters for the last six years.
- Mo Diame of West Ham has played many games for West Ham the last two seasons ,and he’s a good player and had three seasons previously at Wigan. He supposedly has a £3.5M release clause in his contract, which has one year to run, and it could be that West Ham want to unload him.
And at £80K/week in wages they would save around £4M in those wages alone if they sell him in the summer. Those wages could be a huge deterrent to Newcastle getting this Senegal International central midfielder to Newcastle.
- Remy Cabella – this lad is obviously a big target for Newcastle in the summer, and news in the Journal today that our first bid 0f anywhere from £6M to £8M, has been turned down by Montpellier President Louis Nicollin. The Journal report suggests £11M may do the trick, but there are some big clubs like Borussia Dortmund and Champions League finalists Atletico Madrid supposedly interested in him – and if that’s true it will be very difficult for us to bring this lad to Newcastle.
- Mark Noble – a very decent and experienced central midfield player , who’s played at West Ham for the last eight seasons, and a player Alan Pardew brought through to the first team when he was West Ham manager. So Alan knows all about him, and Mark would be a decent enough signing, but would he want to come to the north-east – and why would West Ham ever want to let him go?
- Ayoze Perez – a 20 year-old Spanish striker who plays in the Spanish second division for Tenerife, and he’s scored 16 goals in 33 games for his club this season – but that’s a low standard of play so it’s very hard to know just how good he is or could become. But he would be a good signing for the Development squad, and who knows – he could even come through the ranks into the first team in a year or two. The news is that he could even be on Tyneside today taking his medical, and he could become our first signing of the summer, but probably a Development player next season.
It’s a good question whether we can get many of those players to Newcastle over the summer months, but we are assuming Lee Charnley, Alan Pardew and others are working night and day to get some good players to Newcastle this summer, otherwise we could be fighting against relegation for the second time in three years, and that’s the very last thing we want to happen next season.
We cannot take another nightmare season at Newcastle – the last six months was bad enough – and we finished 10th!
A top six finish would be great – if we can do it.