The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Player Touch And Go For England Final Today

9:32 am, Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 102 Comments

The Netherlands will play England tonight in the final of the European U17 Championship in Malta, at the Qali National Stadium, after the winner (Netherlands)  and runner-up (England) in Group A beat Scotland 5-0 and Portugal 2-0 respectively in the semi-finals last Monday night, to get the chance to meet again in the final of the tournament.

Soccer - International Friendly - England U17s v Italy U17s - Pirelli Stadium

Adam Armstrong – doubt for England today

In the last group game the Netherlands easily beat England 2-0, but England rested seven players for that game, as we had already qualified with two wins, and those players rested included Newcastle’s two top youngsters, goalkeeper Freddie Woodman and Adam Armstrong.

In that game Armstrong was brought on in the second half  to try to rescue England – but to no avail.

However, as we reported on Monday night, Adam injured his ankle in the semi-final win against Portugal, and was taken off in the first half as a precautionary measure, and it’s said to be touch and go as whether he can start the game today.

The England coach John Peacock would love to start one of his very best players, and it was clear that England missed his threat against the Netherlands in that first half.

This is what Peacock has said today:

“It’s still ongoing. Adam has an issue with his ankle – we managed that on Monday.” “It’s not an ideal situation, but we will manage that and see how he is before the game.”

“You hope someday that these players will go on to bigger and better things.” “The World Cup is just around the corner.”

“And we have experiences of players that have come through our system and are now ready to play a part in Brazil, and I think that is what it is all about.”

“I think there are two very good teams in the final, and two attacking teams. I would expect that it will be a real good game of football.”

England have only won the European U17 Championship once, back in 2010, when Sunderland striker was the tournament’s best player when he was playing at Ipswich at the time.

But the Netherlands are a formidable side and have won two European Championships – in 2011 and 2012 – so it will be tough for England tonight.

And that’s especially true if top Newcastle youngster Adam Armstrong cannot play because of his ankle injury.

Freddie Woodman however, will definitely be starting for England in goal tonight, so Newcastle will be represented in the final.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · England News · European Competition · Freddie Woodman · Newcastle News

102 responses so far ↓

• 1 Blackley and Brownlie // May 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Lilongwe

Birthday cards over the career of a player don’t come cheap if I’m honest. But I’ll be stressing their importance to Mike, who has been fantastic for this football club, just to get him on board with that a little bit.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // May 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Blackley,
    At least we know the Cabaye money will be well spent.

• 3 lesh // May 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Blackley, don’t forget the cost of Sports Direct gift vouchers!

:D

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // May 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Toonfan8,
    If you read my post I said I am willing to acknowledge people who have watched him a number of times to see how good he is.

Yes, I have just checked to see if he did play in the game I watched (against Zaragoza), he played the full game and had zero impact on the game. That doesn’t mean he isn’t good enough, he could have had an off day, but most people have no idea how good he is, as they haven’t watched him. 16 in 33 in the Spanish Segunda isn’t a great tally if you want him to step into the first team in the Prem.

Already people are piling so much pressure on this kid, without really having a clue.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // May 21, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Please don’t start off TDSarf on the cost of Birthday cards, none of you are able to understand it’s not just the card but the envelope as well, a stamp if it’s not hand delivered and the secretaries wages.
    God, why do I bother

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // May 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Jail,
    You are forgetting the wages that they have to pay for someone to hand deliver it, or put it in the mail box. You must not understand business if you can’t understand all this!

• 7 Blackley and Brownlie // May 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM

People forget all the incidental costs that come with running a big, big club like Newcastle United, for sure. We put top players on big contracts and so we need to develop happy scenarios to get the best from them.

But the little things like cake and candles at birthdays mount up budget-wise for sure. The fans here are terrific but we may need to educate them on that a little bit, because some of these things are behind the scenes aspects that they don’t always see, if I’m honest.

• 8 Greebol1892 // May 21, 2014 at 10:00 AM

So excited about our soon-to-be new signing. After all, we have such a fantastic record with Spanish players.
    Maestros such as Marcelino, Luque, Xisco, Enrique just roll off the tongue….. great times ahead!
    Shame the lad will hardly get a kick this season because our clueless manager doesn’t like playing the youngsters unless they’re call Paul Dummett….

• 9 beermonkey // May 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM

be interesting to see where pards put Ayoze Perez will he go into the reserves or straight into the first team

the problem is going to be games for the lad, I cant see pards giving him 15 20 games next season so he he will rot on the bench

• 10 Average_Contents // May 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Pardspew…..I mean blackley

I noticed your micro expression of not believing what you were saying again! Brow was furrowed, your lips pulled back showing your teeth and your eyes looked away and to the left whilst saying we are a big club ;-)

Can’t fool us clued up toon fans ya know

• 11 BuckLuck // May 21, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Ayoze Perez, listed as a forward with huge potantial.

Pardew is probably going to develop his natural striker skills with a season as defensive right winger.

I’m sorry that I’m not overly excited about future transfers in, but as long as Pardew is here I really can’t see us use or develop skills close to 100% of players ability. Not even 50%. We’re the recipe for awful talent development.

• 12 Average_Contents // May 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Another article on Perez

• 13 Average_Contents // May 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Buckluck

This might interest you then mate

• 14 Blofal // May 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Like most here I don’t trust Pardew with young players.

I personally would start this Perez and Armstrong up front together all pre season and if it gels keep them there.

Players don’t come ready made for the premier league… they need game time.

Only the rich clubs with 20 youngsters out on loan everywhere occasionally jag one that slots straight in. We need to play our youngsyer for more than 3 mins in extra time.

• 15 BuckLuck // May 21, 2014 at 10:34 AM

AC

Thanks mate.
    I think Mark Douglas is spot on.

• 16 beermonkey // May 21, 2014 at 10:44 AM

average
    buckluck

that’s an interesting article
    its quite shocking when you list all the kids with potential we have had in the last 5 years and not one has made it as a squad player

• 17 The next Mike Williamson // May 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM

He’s got the three ingredients Pardew can’t work with. 1) he’s foreign 2) he’s a flair player, not a scrapper 3) he’s young.

• 18 Blackley and Brownlie // May 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Average

I was scratching the side of my nose, if I’m honest.

• 19 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I think I’m defecting. This is why:

Oh…and the constant whinging and negativity. Almost forgot that…

Sorry Ed. Good luck with everything.

• 20 bobby mango // May 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM

If you were a young player imagine the choice between playing for Pardew or Martinez… If Everton are interested in Perez I’d say we have no chance (and I wouldn’t blame the lad)

• 21 the broons // May 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Can’t help but feel some people play a little too much football manager. In truth if the player is good enough then he will naturally become the player he has the potential to be. If people generally think that him and armstrong upfront is a good idea then yous must have less common sense than pardew

• 22 the truth will out // May 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM

get in happy clappie chappy

• 23 Average_Contents // May 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Tds

Good luck with that, sounds like a blog full of pompous,arrogant arsewipes who care more about spreadsheets than the actual football

Oh wait……..

• 24 the truth will out // May 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM

snigger hahah

• 25 the broons // May 21, 2014 at 11:13 AM

And I don’t mean that they aren’t good enough. I admit they probs are a lot better than our current forward lineup but that doesn’t take much beating. we need atleast 2 proven quality strikers who can score enough goals between them to help us reach our targets. However it’s looking even more likely now that it will be the young spanish striker av heard nowt about. And if were lucky some free agent that couldn’t convince his current club to give him a new contract.

• 26 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM

TDS

Au revoir !

• 27 Rotonda heights // May 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I wonder how many of our so called promising youngsters would have made it, had a proper manager and coaches been put in place, instead of the random ”never wassers” we have assembled from Pardew down.

Ashley’s plan like Dortmund and the Portugese big teams would work, ie scout, develop and sell on if he had a top class coaching and managerial set up.

I fear for Armstrong under Pardew that he will go the same route as Campbell etc. Abeid with a De Boer / Pochetinno type could be a revelation but will do zilch and won’t get selected under Pardew.

How much evidence does Ashley need to see Pardew is failing him, the fans and the players and threatening the arrival of any good players while a mass exodus is a very real possibility.

Keeping Pardew beyond the headbutt incident will be a massively expensive mistake for the turgid obese one, but then he can always count on the wonga wearing brigade and the 52000 no matter what, I guess.

• 28 Average_Contents // May 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I find it highly amusing that TDS posted the blog he was going too with the headline “did we really underachieve last season”

He’s finally found happiness with the added benefit of people who understand “his problems” ;-)

• 29 Rotonda heights // May 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

TDS

It’s getting very diva-ish. There are only so many times you can flounce off claiming never to return.
    Oh wait….

• 30 Average_Contents // May 21, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Rotunda

The puppet isn’t letting his master down as he’s doing exactly what he wants him to do!
    Your correct though in him letting us down though, to be honest they’ve both done a sterling job in that regard

• 31 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Average, I did read the article and the comments, granted the facts may be correct but my argument has always been that failing in the past should never mean that failing now is what we should be aiming for, Man U got relegated in the 1970’s, were they happy just to accept that and never try to be better than second rate, however that point is always lost on them, some people embrace failure, however the majority are sane and they don’t embrace it.

• 32 AndyNUFC // May 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Rotonda – TDS is a diva, perfect analogy.

He was crying a couple of months ago about not returning to this blog because people didn’t agree with him at all. Me for one. Quite sad really that he can’t converse with a community of fellow supporters just down to the fact they see something differently.

He makes it his own problem though, if he wasn’t calling people “moaners / whingers / negative” simply for wanting the club to do things properly then good riddance.

• 33 Rotonda heights // May 21, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Beermonkey

Imagine what a Martinez, Poyet, de Boer, Pochetinno, Laudrup or any ”footballing” manager could have done with them. 5 years to not produce anyone is a damning indictment.

Wish we had got that Galtier guy. How can anyone seriously look forward to next season with Pardew still here. What has changed since the end of the season to make anyone think he is going to magically turn things around?

Pardew is a one trick pony who has been found out everywhere, after promising starts, and would be virtually unemployable when he finally gets the hook from NUFC.

• 34 Rotonda heights // May 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Andy

I think TeDiouS has issues. He once complained that his girl friend (yes I know !) hadn’t kept the flat as tidy as he would have liked! Could imagine him getting in and barking ” where’s me dinner”. A modern man, not so much!

• 35 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Andy

I agree, we have Ashley, Pardew, players coming and leaving to discuss, however you do get some who are obsessed with only one subject and they just cannot debate about other issues, after a while they just become boring and bland, as you say, it’s quite sad !

• 36 Rotonda heights // May 21, 2014 at 11:45 AM

The next Mike Williamson // May 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM

NAILED IT !!!

• 37 AndyNUFC // May 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I had nearly forgot that ridiculous conversation actually, Rotonda – his girlfriend must be a very happy woman.

As Spoof says as well he constantly is on a loop about 1 thing – ‘average expectations’.

“If you look at our Premier League seasons we’ve got an average amount of points. Ashley can only spend an average amount of money. We can only attract average players with average sponsorship deals, coached and managed by average staff…”.

I just ponder whether he actually goes to the games, sitting there the first game of next season thinking to himself “I wonder if this year we’ll be above average? Now wouldn’t that be jolly good… Best call my wench to prepare my clean the whole house as it’s a Saturday”.

• 38 Ancientcoptic // May 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I am not liking the sounds that Moussa Sissoko’s agent is making…

The way our squad currently sits, Sissoko is our only chance of staying up next season… there is nobody else that Pardew picks in the starting 11 that can get goals or assists. (May as well forget about Ben Arfa under Percy)

If Sissoko leaves… our top assist player going into next season will be Debuchy, who weighed in with 3 last season.

I thought 4 wins in 21 games and losing Remy was the brink of disaster… but… a dash of no Sissoko next season would be curtains for us.

Maybe Ashley wouldn’t mind yo-yoing between the Premier League and Championship, what with parachute payments and the publicity it would bring.

• 39 the truth will out // May 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

3to1 he is back 1 august 10 45 am extolling the virtues of the books balancing and the stirling job of the regime nay dictatorship and pouting nancy grovelling backroom staff

• 40 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Ancient, I don’t want to magnify your anxiety but after the Cardiff game Debuchy done a Sir Les, he through his shirt into the crowd which I read as him saying good bye.

• 41 beermonkey // May 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM

rotunda

I think its spoof who has some incite into our academy and coaching we were chatting the other day

I just don’t get why the ones we had here this season never had much time on the pitch

I know bigi has had injuries and was out of form first half of the season but he looked really good last season and he had a lot of game time as well but even when he got his form back no even on the bench surely after such a good debut season pards would want to build on that
    but its the same with hadiara he did well last season then he don’t appear till the end of the season

• 42 toonarmydownsouth // May 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM

TDS
    Farewell…….again
    By the way, people don’t just post on one blog buddy…..

• 43 AndyNUFC // May 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Spoof, I can see Debuchy, Sissoko, Ben Arfa and possibly Santon or Krul leaving this summer. I’d keep every one of them but I can imagine after the last 2 seasons they’d recognise how unfashionable of a club we are now.

It’s worrying, and unfortunately you get people like TDS saying “we’ve got players we’ll do OK”. We won’t – we might not get relegated, but we’ll hobble through a frustratingly disappointing season without proper wingers, clinical strikers, creative midfielders, proper full backs or a centre back to keep it all together – oh, and then have the manager give any excuse as to how it’s nobody at the club’s fault except supporters and those big mean ambitious clubs who spend their wonga for cup runs and Euro football.

• 44 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 12:06 PM

TADS

Farwell…

I don’t have the time or inclination to post on more than one blog regularly. I suppose I might occasionally post on here if there’s something interesting to say but there doesn’t appear to be anything happening so it’s just the same old conversations every day…

And then you get the stupid lies that people have posted above that just get silly frankly.

I do think people should have a read of that article I posted and put their minds back in time to when last season kicked off…

• 45 AndyNUFC // May 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Beermonkey, one of my biggest grievances from this season was the realisation that Pardew and Gosling are clear gambling buddies – otherwise why in hell were we just advertising a free agent for others clubs instead of bleeding through youngsters, bringing back Bigi to recover his form?

• 46 AndyNUFC // May 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM

TDS what lies?

Oh and, thanks for the article – I also posted you a True Faith article a while back you never bothered to read as you dismissed it as ‘clearly biased’ (it transpires it made a lot of points that fans we willing to protest about).

Your problem is if people have a different opinion then you belittle them.

• 47 toonarmydownsouth // May 21, 2014 at 12:11 PM

TDS
    Not regularly but post on there sometimes

He writes some good articles always a good read and best of all Catchy isn’t on there
    But read plenty of blogs otherwise how do you get a broader view of fan opinion?
    But like most blogs of course there’s repetition, you’ll find out late when G2 starts posting :)

• 48 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM

beermonkey, it’s not me m8 I know very little but Lilongwe Geordie does have a very keen interest, my view is that most like Sammi, Campbell, Vuckic,Fergie, Tavernier in my eyes never had enough ability to make it whereas Armstrong, Bigi, Satka and Aarons do appear to have a better chance as they seem to be of a higher calibre.

What I have done is liken the NE to Scotland, in the 70/80’s Scotland were producing quality in numbers, but that production line has now finished and they are in a very barren period, I happen to believe that the NE is the same, with KK we had Clark, Howey and Watson at the same time but since then very few have came from the NE and looking at the PL in general there are hardly any local lads, but hopefully that is now coming to an end with the current crop so in my eyes now would be the best time to judge the coaching abilities of the club, and I have to admit that I am concerned, with safety assured and Europe to far off why we didn’t give some of these lads full games did puzzle and concern me, it would have been a great opportunity to see what they can do, what I don’t want to see which may well happen is for Pardew to play 6/7 at the same time in the league cup, to me that doesn’t help them as we are basically playing a reserve team as the first team, as a result they don’t gain anything, what I wish for is to see 2/3 max in the first team to see how they handle it, and not a pathetic 10/15 minutes, full games to give them a chance.

• 49 Rotonda heights // May 21, 2014 at 12:22 PM

ancient

Sadly i think you may be on to something with those parachute payments. Ironically a chairman’s dream if you’re not big or inclined enough to compete is to yo yo and keep picking up those parachute payments.

Thing is if we go down we’ll stay down.

• 50 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 12:23 PM

AndyNUFC

1 – I never complained that my girlfriend didn’t keep the flat as tidy as I’d like – I used it as an analogy that we can’t have everything we want all the time.
    2 – I am happy for people to disagree with me but bored when they don’t even bother to understand or address my points to them

I don’t belittle others for disagreeing with me but I’ll say what I think about those who just constantly whinge, refuse to see the other side of the argument and who twist absolutely everything to being a negative about Ashley or Pardew.

Case in point…we’re linked with a young promising striker and all some people can do is post that Pardew will ruin him anyway.

• 51 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM

TADS

Oh, I read them sometimes just don’t usually post. Contrary to certain people’s opinions…I think it’s only interesting to post if people have the opportunity to disagree (or agree) with me and I can see what they post.

• 52 the truth will out // May 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM

well he will if he plays him which he wont

• 53 AndyNUFC // May 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM

In regards to the link TDS posted, one comment is;

“I’ve no evidence, based on historical performance, to support that “We are a big club, we should be in the top six year in year out. We show no ambition.” All this reminds me of my 10-year-old drawing up his Christmas list. We are financially the best of the rest. In my opinion we have the best team outside the top six and so top ten is realistic”

A number of points about this:

1. We are not “financially the best of the rest” at all.
    2. If we base expectation on historical stats then shall we just be content with another few decades until a cup is achieved?
    3. If we have the 7th best team then why is 10th realistic?
    4. Is having ambition ‘childish’, or to want the 7th best team to try for 4th or 5th just a natural hope in a fan’s dream?
    5. When did we start to write articles about being happy not achieving anything except a middle of the road finish and no cup success – I’m a supporter, and my natural instinct is to want success for my team, it involves passion, hope, investment of money and time and I don’t see why I should settle for less than having pride in wanting a successful moment.

• 54 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM

If we do go down and we do stay down then the Sky and the rest of the PL riches will be taken off Ashley, this could be the only way to get rid of him as we can be assured that with those riches at hand he will never sell unless its a ridiculous offer which is unlikely, its a ridiculous thought but relegation could well be our best chance, I do apologise for this as it is pathetically sad, but this is how I see it.

• 55 AndyNUFC // May 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM

OK then TDS fair enough if it was an analogy.

But look at the points I’ve just posted and tell me if I’ve twisted anything these to be anti-Pardew / Ashley or if I’m being negative?

• 56 Belfast // May 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM

I only post on one blog tads.
    I’m loyal, unlike you, Traitor !!

• 57 Belfast // May 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM

I’ve thought that for ages spoof.
    If relegation came with a guarantee that he sold up, I would take it no problem. Short term pain for long term gain…

• 58 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 12:37 PM

AndyNUFC

Happy to.

1. We are about on a par with Everton financially I believe. So that puts us 7th or 8th.
    2. We’re bound to have peaks and troughs in terms of performance like any other club. I think the right thing to do is establish ourselves in the top 10 and build from there like Everton and Spurs. I say establish meaning definitely finish in the top 10 every year for 3, 4 or even 5 years. Of course, higher is better…
    3.At the beginning of the season I was wavering between saying we had the 7th or 8th best team. I went for 8th as a forecast in the end. Top 10 was apparently the minimum target but 8th should have been the real goal. Stoke and Southampton should not have finished above us really, although Saints clearly had an exception season.
    4. The way the word ambition is used is “childish” and naïve in my opinion. It’s always short term ambition about wanting the club to state how much it wants to win a cup or paying an extra few million for a player. Being patient with progress isn’t unambitious, it’s just good sensible planning.
    5. I’m not aware of the article stating that we should be “happy” with last season…I’m certainly not. But being happy is a long way from the hatred, anger and bitterness that many spout and there’s a lot inbetween. Only a limited number of clubs can have the success level that their fans demand at any one time and if a fan is unhappy if their expectations are not exceeded then they will be an unhappy fan for 80% of the time.

• 59 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM

TDS

I thought you had gone ?

• 60 terencelim // May 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM

@ToonDarnSarf, I don’t speak like politician and my points are always solid and valid, so should you.

A quick question, no if no but. So you’re supporting Mike Ashley because he has a “good sensible planning.”?

• 61 Mister Tuff // May 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Please gents lets not keep TDS here answering further questions. Being on one blog is time consuming enough – submitting lengthy posts on two blogs would take up too much time and would effect his business interests.
    We should bid him adieu (or a similar North East farewell) and let him settle into the other blog -thus as an important businessman he can at least proportion some time to running his business empire – let’s not forget he is a businessman.

• 62 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Spoof

Not going to regularly post any more if I can find a blog with less repetitive whinging no…but only polite to respond to people posting polite comments to me…

• 63 Rotonda heights // May 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM

TDS

For the love of god are you coming or going? Make a decision one way or the other and b—-y stick to it.

• 64 the truth will out // May 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM

tds start your own blog
    there you can have complete control
    and no followers
    or very few

• 65 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM

terencelim

Our club’s colours might be black and white but the world isn’t black and white. I am not a Mike Ashley ‘supporter’ but given the current situation we are in and our owner not wanting to invest huge amounts of his own money, I think the right thing to do is to establish ourselves firmly in the top 10 (that does not mean aim for 10th and get 12th) and use that as a base to push on from there.

• 66 AndyNUFC // May 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM

TDS in terms of sensible planning, that’s fine, but how long do you think it will take before we actually achieve something?

Personally I’d start with sacking off the whole coaching staff. Invest in top class, experienced people who can develop our whole academy and reserves for the long run.

It feels to me that we’re just bobbing along, praying that cheap signings hit the ground running constantly and if any academy kids turn good, straight away we’ll flog them to the highest bidder.

• 67 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 12:51 PM

TDS,

fair comment, now I am not going to start fighting with you but when it comes to being repetitive I strongly suggest that you have a good long look at yourself m8, I have had a look at your posts on the other site and you are saying exactly the same as what you have been saying here for an age, and just as it did here they over there will also get bored with it, for your own sake mix it up a bit and don’t start preaching as you do over here, this is meant as friendly advice but its entirely up to yourself as to how you take it ?

• 68 ilovetoon8788 // May 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Just buy Ayoze Perez and promote Adam Campbell to the first team. Those 2 should be back up and giving the 2 main strikers eg. Kenwyne Jones and Shane Long a good competition for the starting spot.

Owen started his career so young. Pardew should have the guts to give youths a run in the side. His youth management ability is really appalling.

• 69 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Andy, whatever happened to the 5 year plan, when it got to the stage where we are financially stable and in a position to push on which is what the plan suggested then it appears that the plan has now been scrapped with a new plan which is to just make a profit.

• 70 toonarmydownsouth // May 21, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Belfast
    What can i say, I’m a man I have needs i love Ed but dammit I need more than that :)

• 71 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM

AndyNUFC

Sensible progress doesn’t mean stripping everything out and starting from scratch though. It means stability and careful decisions. Besides, why would top class, experienced coaching staff want to come to us unless there was serious money available to challenge for the CL soon? Why would they join us rather than the top 7 PL clubs or one of the CL clubs abroad? No reason unless they’re a Geordie…

It’s not as if we’re desperate to sell players either, but every player has his price.

The odd thing about our club is that many clubs have a similar stance but we seem to be the only one who keeps coming out with business speak about ours…it’s frankly stupid. Fans don’t want to hear the financial “worth” of a cup run, they want to hear about the enjoyment “worth” to the fans!

• 72 beermonkey // May 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM

spoof

one of the most annoying things pardew does is bigging the young ones up telling us all there not far away and that they will get some time. he has done it to streete cambel Armstrong and others, he then doesn’t play them or in cambels case he did but put him out wide,

I am sure he says this cos he knows all fans want to hear is the odd player coming through.

he doesn’t seem intrested in getting them out onloan

will any1 be watching Englands under17s today

• 73 ilovetoon8788 // May 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM

beermonkey // May 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM

—-

The most important question with pardew at the helm is. Can the lad play at right back? LOL!

• 74 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM

TDS

so if it’s stupid as you say, then why do you back them when they are saying it ?

• 75 Transfer Sage // May 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM

TDS

Who’d have thought id be right with my predictions on the season, good effort keeping track.

I got what I expected (with extremes thrown in) which was a very boring, run of the mill season. Better to start with but bloody awful to end on, shame really.

Hopefully we get players in, I think 4/5 will come and next season will again be a 9/10th place spot in my opinion.

• 76 lesh // May 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Lambert’s been told by the owner that he’s got to use Bent next season so that’s a relief then.

And if this’s true, don’t hold your breath for Perez’s signing

Hey ho, situation normal…

• 77 Belfast // May 21, 2014 at 1:01 PM

That other blog is crap anyway Tds.

They’re only being nice to you because you’re the new kid on the block. Give it a few weeks and you’ll be getting dogs abuse, and you’ll be back on here.

• 78 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Spoof

I’m hoping I won’t have to repeat myself mate. Hopefully I’ll just have some proper engagement (positive or negative) rather than people simply failing to read my post and tripping out the same old tired arguments. Have a look at this blog every day…it’s the same thing.

How is any fan supposed to maintain his passion when there are fans on here saying it’s pointless to sign someone because our manager will ruin them. It’s bad enough that this season had very little to be passionate about but then for fans to constantly come on here and make it worse…

I get that maybe it’s a release for them, but it’s bloody depressing for me and I don’t come on this blog to be depressed, I’d sooner forget about football if it just made me miserable…

• 79 beermonkey // May 21, 2014 at 1:03 PM

ilovetoon8788

I am sure in his welcome pack pardew will give one of his little books titled
    a strikers guide to defending

he will have read this and sit an exam and write an essay only after passing with 90% correct will he be allowed to sit on the bench for his 3 mins at the end of a game

• 80 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 1:05 PM

lesh

I saw a report about Perez being back in training with Tenerife earlier, I wouldn’t read anything into that as their season is still on going so naturally he would have to go back, as far as I am aware he came over for talks with the intention of going back to finish the season, I very much doubt if not going back would have ever been an option.

• 81 Belfast // May 21, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I’d be very happy to grant Catchy a free transfer to that blog if they were interested though.

• 82 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Spoof

Because they’re right but doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to say. If people told the truth from their perspective all of the time, can you imagine what would happen?
    “Yes darling, I would like to bang your sister”
    “Yes, we’re going to war because otherwise our economy will crash”
    “Yes I know I’m the PM but I do like a bit of a golden showers at the weekend”
    “I’m planning to sack half of you in 6 months but I trust you’ll try your hardest in the meantime”

That’s all about as stupid as discussing the financial worth of a cup run to fans who are only interested in on the field success.

• 83 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Transfer Sage

If we only get 9th/10th next season then let’s hope that we have some derby wins, cup runs, star players etc. to make the season entertaining at least…

Interesting that the average points prediction was spot on too. 49 points…

• 84 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Belfast

Will see how it goes…maybe I’ll be back on here if things get better and the whinging stops…

I suppose then I’ll have to put up with fans saying that IF only we did this then we’d qualify for the Champions League…

• 85 Rake // May 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM

What really iterest’s me if we do strengthen in all area’s i.e. strikers, wingers etc. Will Pardew actually play people in the correct position? Sissoko in the middle with Tiote?. I dot it..

• 86 Spoof // May 21, 2014 at 1:19 PM

TDS@84

that is not whinging m8, that’s a desire to do better than what you currently are doing, we work hard to get paid, if we get paid more for working harder then we work harder, we try to get promoted and if we succeed then we try even harder to get another promotion, and then another, and then another it’s what makes the world go round, it’s called ambition, without the best you can hope to do is stand still and that is what we are seeing with our football club, we are not seeing any hard work to try and improve the football, plenty of work is being done to improve the business side, but not the football, and as you yourself have already stated, what the fans want to see is what affects the football.

• 87 Mister Tuff // May 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Appropriate musical interlude courtesy of The Clash.
    Should I stay or should I go now?
    Should I stay or should I go now?
    If I go there will be trouble
    An’ if I stay it will be double
    So come on and let me know

Well just vamoose, hit the road -comprende amigo.

• 88 the truth will out // May 21, 2014 at 1:23 PM

as much nous as caractacus potts

• 89 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Spoof

Sure. That approach to life makes sense to some people (me included) but not actually to all. And what happens when you don’t get the promotion you want, do you go home to your wife and complain every day?

It’s whinging when fans are complaining that we haven’t signed a player yet, or that we won’t sign anyone or that Pardew will ruin anyone we sign etc.

And to go back to your analogy again…when you start a new job you don’t announce that you want a promotion from the start, you work your way into the job, you establish yourself in the role and then you look for opportunities.

And the big difference here is that there are only 20 clubs in the PL whereas there are thousands of job going that you might want. For us to better our league position, we’d have to displace a club above us. You don’t think the manager and players want to do this?

Like I have said, I think it’s down the language from the club and I really wish they would learn.

• 90 ToonDarnSarf // May 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Spoof

Anyway…I’m going to go grab some lunch and then crack on with work. I’m sure I’ll pop back at some point and hopefully there’s some progression in the transfer market by then…

• 91 the truth will out // May 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

tds there are better managers of crap clubs waiting to pass us by next season we are going no-where but backwards

• 92 Ketsbaia9 // May 21, 2014 at 1:30 PM

This new player, Perez has a worse scoring record than Xisco. Xisco has had a decent season with Cordoba in the same league. 15 goals in 36 games isn’t too bad. I think we should’ve given him more of a chance. He’s better than Shola.

• 93 the truth will out // May 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM

so there is plenty reasons to whinge

• 94 Mister Tuff // May 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Further musical lyrics courtesy of Ray Charles.

“Hit The Road Jack”
    Hit the road Jack and don’t you come back no more, no more, no more, no more.
    Hit the road Jack and don’t you come back no more, no more, no more, no more.

Vamoose- comprende amigo.

• 95 the truth will out // May 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

alone again
    naturally

• 96 Average_Contents // May 21, 2014 at 1:34 PM

How dare we let off a little steam to fellow NUFC supporters, how dare we expect better from an owner who couldn’t give a fcuk as long as we are in the prem, how dare we as supporters, ask the money the club makes to be spent on ACTUAL players!

HOW VERY DARE WE!

I thought you were going? What are you waiting for then? I know, maybe your waiting for people to be falling over themselves trying to tell you what a pleasure it’s been discussing all things fatty with you……you’ll be waiting a very long time I’m afraid!

• 97 Ketsbaia9 // May 21, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Mauro Zarate has been linked with West Ham. We should be in for him.

• 98 neilinho // May 21, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Hey ho lads, who would take a punt on Bojan Krkic?

• 99 headtheball // May 21, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Mr T
    I thought it was you who coined the phrase OUT.
    You’re holding back when it comes to our esteemed businessman but I enjoy the lyrics and your choice of song titles.
    If you call a boomerang that wont come back a stick, what do you call a poster who always comes back?

• 100 Average_Contents // May 21, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Headtheball

A tit

• 101 Mister Tuff // May 21, 2014 at 2:29 PM

headtheball – I was working on another post -but have to give up -as I’ve been ordered to get some gardening done.
    Anyway it was based on the legendary comic strip hero “Buster Brown” – a well known quote was “Buster Brown get outta town”.
    Easily changed to Buster Broon gid oota Toon.
    An Urban Dictionary definition of Buster Brown is:-

buster brown
    “A really goofy looking person who also has very poor social skills and is usually not wanted by a majority of a group.
    Yo mang why are we hanging out with this buster brown he’s making us look bad
    by Shawnix Fleury July 03, 2006″

Wow -a spooky definition!

• 102 Whumpie // May 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Wow. You all spend so much time moaning about how disinterested the club seems to be in bringing through young talent… and when Ed posts an article about two Geordie, NUFC players in a European Cup final tonight….. all you do is carry on your last conversation without even mentioning.

Pathetic, really.

If you had any real interest you’d be watching this. And tomorrow you’d be moaning about how the club should be trying to sign Patrick Roberts.

previous post: Newcastle’s First Summer Signing Almost Tied Up