Newcastle May Bid £8M For Lazio Center-Back

The Journal is reporting today that Newcastle may be after 27 year-old Lazio center-back Stefan Radu, and are said to be pondering an £8M bid for the 14 times capped Romanian center-back.

Stefan Radu +G2pqYqHR_TUm

Stefan Radu – highly rated center-back

Newcastle were all ready about a year ago to sign FC Twente center-back Douglas, who at the time was a free agent and we had been tracking for about 18 months.

But when Joe Kinnear came in one as the new Director of Football, one of the first mistakes he made was to nullify the deal, and that caused Managing Director Derek LLambias to quickly resign from the club.

So we may be back to where we were before Joe started his disastrous spell as Director of Football, and we could be strengthening our central defense, and the 6′ tall center-back, who can also play at left-back, is a powerful and highly rated player.

Radu was born in Bucharest and joined Lazio back in 2008 from Dinamo Bucuresti, and so far he has played 157 times with 5 goals for the Rome club.

He’s well though of in Rome, and Manchester United and Tottenham have also shown some interest in the player.

Newcastle’s defense has conceded far too many goals in the last two seasons – 124 in total and including a record high 65 the season before last – and we need some defensive reinforcements brought in this summer.

And if the club can do that, we could even see players like Steven Taylor and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa leave this summer, so it’s not surprising that Newcastle will be linked with a number of defenders this summer.

From what we can tell Radu would strengthen the Newcastle back four.

What do you think?

• Toon Tang

May 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM

8 bags of peanuts more like

• Ashton

May 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM

M’biwa is better.

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Newcastle May Bid £8M For Lazio Center-Back

then again we may not ?

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Magpie4life,
    Why would you greet Demba in Swahili, are you Welsh ?

• Ashton

May 22, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Spoof

Regarding Ba. He is a good player but he played Pardew like a fool when he was here. He will negatively effect the team because he has power over Pardew and our manager is his bitch.

There are better and younger players out there.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Ba? Kalas?
    They would be fantastic signings as would Radu

• Sazzer

May 22, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Kalas on loan sounds better than 8 m £ short centerback that Pardew will employ as a LB.

• Sazzer

May 22, 2014 at 3:52 PM

on a short

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Ashton, so who are these better younger players, and more importantly would they come to us, I just can’t imagine a younger Demba Ba even glancing at us, an older Demba Ba who know what the club and the region is all about and has achieved what he is ever likely to achieve then we have a chance of getting him.

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM

anyway the rain has just stopped so I am going to take the dogs for a walk, one of them is a black patterdale with a white stripe down her middle, she just looks like a newcastle strip, bless her.

• Munster Mag

May 22, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Sorry, but Mbiwa is not a good defender. His pace makes up for a lot, but he reads the game badly, heads poorly and tackles rashley.

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Sazzer, you have no idea where Pardew would play any new signing so please grow up and stop with the childish comments, the only person you are putting down is yourself, how do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you behave like that, howay, grow up.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Spoof mate…you will be taking those dogs for the longest walk in the century if you are waiting on NoNuts to sell up 😉

…and as long as us supporters are not even united in the course then nothing will happen I would think. We are more concerned about being able to go to games, meet up with mates than to really stand up to him!

I say that knowing that I live in Denmark, but it’s still the truth 😉

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM

…if I could find a buy I would don’t doubt that for one minute!

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM

jesper the leads are on them and they are going mad, I will respond soon, see ya later young man

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM

*buyer

• Ashton

May 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Michy Batshuayi, Benteke, Bony, Ramos, Carrol, Lacazette, Morata, Finnbogason to name a few.

• Transfer Sage

May 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM

munster

Whilst I agree on Mbiwa, and think santon is similar, it seems to me that the team itself is very poorly set up and has no shape, players are out of position in midfield and attack as well as defense so i don’t think it’s just individual players….as much to do with coaching/structure.

• Laurent Robert 32

May 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Simple. Ashley out, Pardew out. New signings will be wasted by incompetent management. It is a team game yet so little quality team play.

The hatem thing and dividing the dressing room between players and manager… Pardew does that himself due to his vile character. That happens at his other clubs as well as here with his pathetic character and inept tactics.

Hatem’s right, Pardew’s ….e

Spoof, Deschamps is a defensive minded manager. No wonder it’s not a match with attacking flair.

Ginola would have been scapegoated by Pardew as well. No doubt.

• Transfer Sage

May 22, 2014 at 4:32 PM

laurent

I don’t think ben arfa is blameless in all of this, when he is injured he clearly doesn’t look after himself as he gets way too fat.

• TikiTakaAcca

May 22, 2014 at 4:35 PM

CB?
    The guy is a LB and always has been.
    What kind of article is this Ed ?

You don’t even know what position the guy plays.

• croftus5678

May 22, 2014 at 4:36 PM

a cb is a must for me ! i’d rather we get our attacking options sorted first but meh beggers cant be choosers !

i’d <3 a season with very very few stupid mistakes giving away points and colo is past it / saylor not good enough / willo is our best but still only avg and he's getting on a bit and the young lads are not ready.

wether mbiwa will come good or not i dont know but i doubt it if he's not getting constant game time! and with sakho at liverpool who has turned to garbage its got me thinking maybe its just french cb's cant adapt.

• Munster Mag

May 22, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Transfer, I agree, but think Santon is incredibly overrated. One on one he is useless, and has been from his first game. He also tracks badly, and loses concentration, and loses his man in the air. I dont hear Mourinho coming to get him now!! Mbiwa would be better with a decent partner, but that needs to be someone with aerial power . Beside a Tony Adams he would be better, but I think he looks good, whereas some defensive players looked bad ( Kevin Moran, Steve Bruce ) , but were very good. Overall I am half optimistic about signings. Not having that spiv Kinnear about the place helps a lot IMO.

• Average_Contents

May 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I see dummett has been getting death threats on Twatter off Uruguay fans for his tackle on suarez! They seem to think that’s why he needs an operation whereas it happened training with the national team!

Fcuking scum just like him, now we know why he’s an animal

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 5:19 PM

TikiTaka
    Neither do you by the looks of it as he’s accomplished in both positions, mainly CB until a couple of seasons ago

• Tsunki

May 22, 2014 at 5:20 PM

@21 – before getting up a head of steam to jump on Ed for inaccurate reporting, try checking the players profile first. He’s categorised as a CB / LB, and the LB is tagged in because that’s where Lazio have shifted him for the last few seasons.

Would be a useful addition to Pardew’s master plan of multi-role defensive players.

• Tsunki

May 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Tads – 😀

• Laurent Robert 32

May 22, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Transfer, he’s not blameless, no. But the lad must be annoyed when he gets constantly left out and scapegoated for things like assists and goals when dead brain plays Jonas every game despite a lack of any assists and Shola with a frankly embarrassing scoring record in general. All that in a team which is a containing team with a massive lack of cohesion and a prat as a manager.

The side effects of anti-football come in all forms. Hatem has had enough man of the matches to show he is very capable of doing well. Sadly we have a few sports cars driving in a school restricted area.

As online said. Double-speak Pardew.

• Toonfan8

May 22, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Kalas on loan would be very good, Radu is very good defensively, warrior. Demba Ba? I would take him any day in a week…

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM

See Bellamy has retired
    Great great player

And also see a bunch of slightly idiotic Uruguay fans have been tweeting Dummett death threats after Suarez could miss the WC……even though he was injured during training with the international team!

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Tsunki
    😉 hate comments like that, just cause he’s a LB in his current version of Football Manager!

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 5:40 PM

jesper

a lot gets mentioned about the supporter role, in all honesty I don’t think that is fair m8, yes I had a season ticket for donkeys years but not for last season, enough is enough for me, but is it fair to ask others to do the same, no its not, I have protested the way I see fit, others do it differently which is there choice, some of my mates and family who still go say that I was wrong by not getting my ticket and I have possibly let the rest of the fans down by doing so, this is not said out of spite or malice but because they few actions differently to me, basically what they are saying is that if I had kept my ticket then before the Liverpool march there would have been more on that march, I can’t argue with that as they are 100% correct, more importantly as I could have still gone on that march if I had so wished, was that against Cardiff there was no chance at all of me sending a message by walking out on either 60 or 69 minuetes as many did, so who has sent the bigger message, me by not going or them by going and protesting, this is why I get so frustrated with half wits like Rotonda Heights when he insults those who do go by describing them as “the Wonga wearing brigade”, that is really off the mark as the chances are any change which comes due to fan pressure will almost certainly come from those who still go. Some people really do need to have a good long look before they criticise others.

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Tiki@21

in that case he should be Pardews coach lol

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Spoof…one should never tell anyone what to do – the important thing of course is what you do yourself! That said if anyone asks me I do have an opinion about it 😉

But as you picture so elegantly as long ad we are so far from each other as supporters we will never get our way with NoNuts!

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Jesper,
    Having had the last three weeks to think about it, have you joined NUST yet ?

• theartfuldodger

May 22, 2014 at 6:01 PM

So whats happened…Just Rumours…hmmmmmm

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 6:03 PM

thats right jesper, each to their own, truth is I still don’t no if I should boycott or go back and hound the hell out of them , which is for the better? what is for sure is that having ago at someone who does it differently to you is simply just wrong, you have to have consideration for those around you, sadly there isn’t much of that around.

So taking the bait which you dropped for me, which way do feel I should go, sorry that’s wrong of me too ask, I’ll ask again, which way would you go if you lived a 15 minute drive from the stadium, and had been going for years as so many around you had, it’s not just football, its atmosphere and friendships which you are losing, not close friendships but friendships which you have during the match, it’s difficult m8, very difficult, and I really do miss it.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM

JFA…yes I have!

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM

dodger

just rumours !

• GeordieTwo

May 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Do Gateshead have any players we could afford? I’m not sure. I had better ask Mike before getting carried away. 🙂