Uruguayan FA Must Calm Their Fans Down

Paul Dummett was sent off for a late tackle on Louis Suarez, on the very last day of the Premier League season on May 11th, when Newcastle lost 2-1 to Liverpool, but on appeal, the red card was overturned, and the young Newcastle left-back will not be suspended at the beginning of next season.

louis suaz paul dummett

The badly timed tackle from Dummett on Suarez

However, Luis Suarez has broken down in training, while preparing for the World Cup with the Uruguay squad, and it’s his left knee, and in their wisdom the Uruguay FA released this statement, which has done nothing to calm the situation, and basically pinpointed the Dummett tackle as the source of Suarez’ knee problem:

“An MRI scan confirmed a partial injury to the external meniscus in his left knee. This morning, a partial removal of the meniscus was carried out via arthroscopy.”

“There is no confirmation of other issues in the knee. His participation in the World Cup in Brazil is not ruled out.”

“It should be highlighted that the player received a direct blow to his left knee in the last game of the Premier League season with Liverpool, on Sunday May 11, with pain which eased with rest from sporting action after the season had ended.”

Why they highlighted that incident in the last paragraph we have no idea, but it’s hardly being responsible.

In truth the Dummett tackle was simply an ill-timed tackle after he had been on the field for only six minutes, and that’s how the FA saw it, and why they overturned the red card.

But some Uruguayan fans have gone on social media and threatened the local Newcastle lad, with threatening tweets like the following:

“Hi Paul Dummett, from Uruguay we hope someday u come here to have a nice time w/ friends. We have things for you, like a bullet in the head,”

The Uruguay FA should release a statement and attempt to calm their fans down, before the situation gets even more out of control.

And it’s good to see that Louis Suarez has talked on the South American radio station Ovacion, and has attempted to bring some calm to the situation.

“Be calm, I am going to get there,”  “Thanks for all your support. I am going to work really hard in the coming days to be at 100% and help my team-mates.”

These kinds of situations can  become serious very quickly, especially with the passion that surrounds the World Cup every four years.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Santon
    Tbh i think it’s a combination
    Pardew has a decent(ish) record for bringing in and through young players at previous clubs

The academy is a state, the team doesn’t even have a manger! Poor coaching set up and tbh looking at a few of the players it just doesn’t seem like we have that greater talent coming through
    Didn’t we finish bottom of the reserves league?

• croftus5678

May 22, 2014 at 8:23 PM

a death threat is a death threat and should be treated as so with these fans !

they upset there one player who can win games for them is injured and need to blame someone and they dont care who ! maybe they need teaching playground rules as they still act 6yo.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 8:24 PM

@DeadlineDayLive: Newcastle must offer Lyon striker Bafétimbi Gomis £100k per week if they want to sign him. (Source: Daily Mirror)

Stroll on!!!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 22, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Neil Adams has been offered a 3 years deal at Norwich as manager!

…didn’t see that one coming!

• croftus5678

May 22, 2014 at 8:34 PM

@3 tads

i’m more excited about perez than i am about gomis ! but saying that what striker can we realistically get on a very cheap budget that can score 15 goals ish a season ?

his extra wage fee over say 2 years would be maybe 1mil so that aint too bad for a striker of his quality.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Croftus
    I’m not sure id use quality and Gomis in the same sentence

Twighlight years for a CF, £100k for a 29 yr old who’s never played outside of France and had the 3rd highest offside rate in Europe?
    Na not for me plenty of better CF’s on less wages with plenty more years in them

• croftus5678

May 22, 2014 at 8:40 PM

@6 tads

you could be right !

perez imo will prove to be a lot better value and think goofy could provide the experience but we do need a strong striker who can hold up play and score.

• jazzyp

May 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Was it me or did Gouffy look F@cked every game he played in. Another lad what faded badly towards the end of the season

• ochytoon

May 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Come on Ed, as if English fans haven’t done this before as well. Euro 2004 anyone?

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Online

there was a brief discussion about the land at the back of the Gallowgate end a bit earlier, I know that you are quite well informed on that subject, is there any further news or is it a bit of a lull at present.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Ochy
    Ah reet well it’s okay then, because some lads were abused 10 years ago no one should say anything about a professional football receiving abuse and death threats for going in for a 50-50 challenge
    Sound logic

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 9:08 PM

tads

£100k a week for a 29 year old is excessive, excessive for any age really but more so for Gomis at his age, but in fairness to the lad he does score goals and they are worth there weight in gold, I wish Gateshead had a goalscorer against Cambridge, the Heed were the better side all over the pitch, but the lack of a goalscorer cost them dearly.

Gomis like Bony at Swansea doesn’t appear to be spectacular, but do they get the goals, do they not, and who else do we currently have, obviously plenty of time left yet, but I would not be against signing someone who has repeatedly scored goals, we could do worse.

• WWSBRD

May 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Well this got blown a bit out of proportion Christ Dummitt barely touched Suarez, idiots under the veil of being anonymous will blow over am sure

Who is the Spanish second division lad we are about to sign then? He like Santi Munez?

• ochytoon

May 22, 2014 at 9:11 PM

tads
    Its a part of football. Not saying I agree with it but its not going away anytime soon. Does anyone really expect the Uruguayan FA to clamp down on a bunch of threats on twitter they know they won’t carry out?

No one on here would be talking about it if it was a Liverpool player getting death threats from the backends of Uruguay, so what’s the point.

• ochytoon

May 22, 2014 at 9:12 PM

tads
    The referee in Euro 2004 (the England vs. Portugal match) received death threats to his home. Slightly more severe if you ask me.

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 9:14 PM

I heard somewhere that Dummitt was getting a bit of stick, from what I can now gather it may be a bit more than just stick, can anyone inform me as to the extent of what Dummett is receiving.

• croftus5678

May 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM

@13 wwsbrd

ayoze perez ! i recommend taking a look at him on youtube m8 he looks awsome and the way he plays reminds me of suarez obv not as potent or good yet and he is unproven but at 20yo he’s a steal at 1.8mil imo.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Ochy
    Of course they should act
    Every other country clamps down on all aspect of abuse and they still fall under a football governing body so should full well at the very least condemn the actions of a small group of idiotic fans
    That’s like racism is part of football so they should just get on with it

• ochytoon

May 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM

WWSBRD
    Been a very long time since I’ve seen you on the blog. Anywho, this Perez kid looks a good prospect. Lots of people on here raving about his youtube videos but that’s exactly what happened with Xisco. If the Porto interest in him was true then I would imagine he definitely has potential. Whether he can live up to it though, that remains to be seen.

• WWSBRD

May 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM

croftus
    Ah YouTube can make anyone look good haha I might have a little look though…saw he was linked with Madrid and arsenal etc etc surely a decent sign I suppose

• WWSBRD

May 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

ochytoon
    Good to see u too mate haha long as he’s the start of a few signings it’ll be fine of he’s all we are getting I may lose my temper again

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Death threats ?, bloody hell, that is absurd, what the hell is wrong with people, I was gutted when Shearer got injured, more so when Bellamy did under Sir Bobby as we had a real chance of glory that year, but never to the extent of threats of any kind, what is the world coming too

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Spoof
    Wouldn’t say 62 goals in 172 games is that great of a record in what is all fairness a weaker league, 1 goal every 2.77 games
    Just don’t think that is worth £100k a week, you want a Dzeko for that not a Gomis imho

Bony has youth and potential on his side
    Gomis is a Owen, one last big pay cheque

On Dummett
    Aye people threatening to put a bullet in his skull, crap like that

• croftus5678

May 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM

@15 ochytoon

a death threat is taken very seriously wether it be from an england fan a ukranian or the man next door ! that many screwed up people in this world thinking there god you never know who could carry it through or not !

to do this kind of thing over a player injuring themselves though when it wasnt even dummett who caused it is just obsurd and that fifa statement blatently pinpointing our game as the fault was discusting from an official board especially !

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2014 at 9:24 PM

WW…,
    Nobody has seen him except Lilongwe and he can’t remember him, but apparently he’s the new Suarez !

• ochytoon

May 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM

tads
    I agree with you, I really do. Its a minority of idiots who ruin the game, however, clamping down on this idiocy has done little in the past to quell this sort of behavior. There are still “ultra” groups throughout mainland Europe, there was fighting between fans and stewards at the Playoff semi final the other day, Neil Lennon has had bullets sent to his home and “fans” attempt to assault him on the pitch, the list goes on…

All I’m trying to say is, do you really expect the Uruguayan FA, who are most likely incredibly underfunded compared to us, to clamp down on a bunch of morons when it has had no effect anywhere else in the world?

Neither Ed nor yourself would care if this wasn’t about Dummett either; so for both of you to suddenly act like warriors against social injustice is pretty pathetic.

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM

croftus m8

don’t build him up too highly as it could be a big fall, Spanish second division to the Premier league is a huge jump, lets give the kid a chance, remember Xisco, the last Spanish wonderkid we signed

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM

JFA
    Better keep Dummett away from him then 😉

• croftus5678

May 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM

@20 wwsbrd

hehe ye unfortunatly i dont get to see any spanish league 2 games though so i cant judge by anything else lol

i just look at what he can do and try imagine what he would be like against a prem team where he will have less time and harder defences ect !

a hard shot on target good movement into spaces and speed are something that should work in any league though.

• Jail for Ashley

May 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM

croftus,
    Dummett is Welsh, he will never set foot in Uruguay as long as he lives and I think there are a very limited number of physcopathic Uruguayans living in the N East who could get their hands on a gun, Dummet will be ok.

• Thump

May 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Yep, Dummett is definitely at fault. That’s why Suarez has been fine until he over exerted himself during training.

Useless bunch of kernts, I swear.

• WWSBRD

May 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM

JfA
    Haha can’t remember him eh? Glowing endorsement haha can’t wait to see him in the black and white now

Him, Campbell and Armstrong up front next season

• Thump

May 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM

@Spoof: I don’t blame Xisco for what happened, I blame the dirty deals with the South American agents. For what it’s worth, I honestly did think he’d come good for us. Just a shame he was never given a proper bite of the cherry.

• croftus5678

May 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM

@27 spoof

after last season i need sumat to look forward to lol at 1.8mil atleast it’ll give me hope for a few month’s even if it doesnt work out.

• toonarmydownsouth

May 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Ochy
    Let’s skip the majority of the post to the part where somehow your qualified to know what i apparently warrior on

No form of discrimination should be tolerated in any walk of life
    It’s got f**k all to do with the fact it’s Dummett
    No player, no matter where he plays should suffer abuse or death threats
    It’s got nout to do with it being one of players I’d be saying the same regardless of who the person is
    So no it’s not pathetic, the only pathetic thing is the caveman attitude if oh well it’s part of the game ho hum….

• ochytoon

May 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM

WWSBRD
    I’d like to think I’d cry if he was our only signing but I’m so used to the nonsense of this regime that I’d probably laugh.

Can’t remember for the life of me if you were still at uni last time I spoke to you. If so, hows it going?

• WWSBRD

May 22, 2014 at 9:32 PM

croftus
    Tbh I assumed the Spanish second division was just there to be a Madrid/Barca reserve league but hey here’s hoping. And true mate certain aspects could translate across to any football level but time will tell

• Spoof

May 22, 2014 at 9:33 PM

tads

most important things first, this with Dummett is shocking, my wife has friends who’s kids are Dummetts friends, Alex Kitchen who did not get a contract last summer is another in the group, the fact that I nor my wife haven’t heard a word makes me feel that the lad may have just brushed it off, I certainly hope so.

As for Gomis, he may not be the best, but I will be surprised if we get anyone better.

• WWSBRD

May 22, 2014 at 9:37 PM

ochy
    I probably was mate got a degree now though and slowly climbing the management ladder. Not exactly the exciting life id hoped for though but that’s a different story

How’s ur Uni life coming along? Southampton was the plan no?

• ochytoon

May 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM

tads
    Well you’re acting like this outrages you when you know full well it wouldn’t if it was a player for any other team in the country.

I didn’t see at any point that any player should be subject to abuse so don’t try and put words in my mouth please.

Its moronic behavior, that we both agree on. I also agree that fans who do this should be punished. What I am saying is that I don’t expect the Uruguayan FA to actually do anything and if they don’t, I won’t act like I’m outraged that a great injustice has been done. You know, I know, Ed knows and even Dummett knows that absolutely nothing is going to happen to him. Does that make it right, no of course not. Its disgusting quite frankly. However, is there any need to get all hyped up over it, just because he’s a Newcastle player?