The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Goalkeeper Delighted To Become Ireland International

9:19 am, Tuesday, May 27th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Even if you are a Newcastle reserve, you can still go on and become a full International, as goalkeeper Rob Elliot has just proved over the weekend.

rob elliot vs trukey

Newcastle’s Rob Elliot – during National Anthem – before Turkey game

New Ireland manager Martin O’Neill had called up Rob, and he had to miss his own bachelor night in Las Vegas to make the squad.

And to think we used to have our bachelor nights (stag parties) at a local pub in Newcastle. :D

Rob played the whole game in the 2-1 loss against Turkey at the Aviva Stadium in a friendly game over the weekend, and this is what the 28 year-old tweeted after his debut:

“Great to make my international debut. Gutted about the result! Thanks for all the comments and support!! #proud.”

Former Sunderland manager Martin O’Neill had only praise for the goalkeeper for his complete commitment:

“You cannot question Rob’s commitment,” “I’d have missed my own honeymoon to play an international match. I’d have delayed it by 12 years in actual fact!”

Rob will not be involved in Saturday’s game against Italy at Craven Cottage, because that’s when he will be getting married, but he’s delayed his honeymoon (that can be dangerous), but he says his fiancée is fine with it (that’s good):

“My fiancee’s OK with it all and says it’s a good opportunity for me. We’ve delayed the honeymoon.”    “I want to show to everyone I do want to be a Premier League number one.”

“I’m not happy just to sit and be a number two. I really want to push Tim.” “Tim’s a fantastic keeper, so I know I need to raise my game every time I get the chance.”

Rob has always played well when he’s come into the Newcastle first team, and he also seems he has raised his ambitions at Newcastle.

But he is still the number two behind Dutch International Tim Krul, but he will no doubt come back to pre-season fighting for that number one jersey at Newcastle – and that’s the way it should be.

And finally, we wish Rob all the best in his married life, and we have one solitary statement that we’ve found just about sums up married life:

“If Momma ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.”

Rob, it’s worth remembering that. :D

All the very best.

Tags: International News · Newcastle News · Premier League · Rob Elliot

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 jazzyp // May 27, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Congrats on your international cap Robbo……May it continue mate

• 2 sweendog // May 27, 2014 at 9:24 AM

well done .. can only help us if he gets international games and some extra coaching and experience .. he’s a good keeper but not sure how commanding he is .. but this will help.

• 3 jazzyp // May 27, 2014 at 9:29 AM

On the subject of Loic Remy. We all knew what we were getting when he came here on loan. He has always been known as a mercenary even in france. I personally think he had a season of two halves. The first half he was sublime because he had a point to prove.The second half he was pants and didn’t give a monkey’s about Nufc.
    Personally if his statement is true that Pardew knew about this then we Have a bigger problem in Pardew as he has proven once and for all he cannot be trusted

• 4 beermonkey // May 27, 2014 at 9:33 AM

average

I agree had the same conversations look the way Liverpool used mosses they only ever played him when there own players needed a rest or injured, him being there didn’t hamper any1 coming through

we could have blooded Armstrong, could have worked on the partnership between cisse and ldj that looked ok and tried working things with ldj as it was we played the same, I would have dropped him as soon as he said he wanted champions league and wouldn’t sign for us

ldj might not have been a success but at least he wanted to come

• 5 beermonkey // May 27, 2014 at 9:37 AM

on Elliot
    had a real shaky start to life here but settled down and last season thought he played well

he deserves more games than he got and tim needs to think he aint an automatic starter

• 6 jazzyp // May 27, 2014 at 9:41 AM

The point is loic would have still been paid his 80k a week for what ??? Basically refusing to play because he saw that there was no point and nothing to play for…….Tell that to the 3 thousand travelling fans who forked out there hard earn’t money to go and watch there beloved toon play.
    Arsenal are most welcome to him IMO. I would sooner have a player at the club who give a F@ck than doesn’t.
    Loic Remy to @lequipe: “Newcastle want to buy me. I do not know if I will stay there.” #NUFC #QPR
    So my friends ask your selves if the story is true or not ??

• 7 jazzyp // May 27, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Newcastle want to buy me. I don’t know if I will stay there.

“I am at a turning point in my career – and it will be massive improvement or stagnation”
    Cant argue with that really from Remy. If he wants to better himself then who can blame him.
    I still cannot find this apparent article by Tim krull on exciting incoming summer signings at nufc

• 8 sweendog // May 27, 2014 at 9:48 AM

on the remy situation .. the reason Liverpool are different is that they used the loans for squad players .. we are using them for 1st team starters .. don’t blame remy here but our illustrious owner who needed to spend.

previous post: Remy Didn’t Want To Play At Liverpool – He Wasn’t Injured