There’s a report in The Star today that Newcastle are after a number of players, and they are working hard to get them signed up as soon as possible.
Jack Colback – free agent
Here are the five players Newcastle are said to be negotiating for right now, in the hopes of getting them signed up quickly:
- Wilfried Zaha, the 21 year-old Manchester United winger had a terrible first season at the Reds, but it will depend on new manager Louis Van Gaal on whether leaves the Manchester club in the summer – other clubs interested include top clubs Arsenal and Tottenham, but after his experience last season he could be willing to join the Magpies, and he played well for Cardiff at St, James’ Park in the league a few weeks ago.
- Jack Colback seems to be attracting interest from a number of PL clubs, and maybe he doesn’t want to make the shift north of the River Tyne, where he was born in Killingworth. Jack’s a free agent at the end of next month and he’s a very good passer of the ball and a solid player. But we would rate our chances at only about 50-50 for getting him to Tyneside, but it’s clear the Geordie will be making a decision on his future soon.
And he could even surprise everybody by staying at Sunderland, who have reportedly offered him a good new deal only last week.
- Pierre-Michel Lasogga of Hertha Berlin would be a great striker signing for Newcastle, and we have been linked with the German U21 International for a good few weeks now, and some reports have suggested we are even in the lead for his signature. Lasogga was on loan at Hamburg last season where he had a great season, and scored 13 goals in 20 appearances for the German side – and as we said, the 22 year-old would be a great signing for Newcastle United.
- Steve Sidwell is now a free agent at Fulham who was signed for Reading by Alan Pardew back in 2003, and Steve at least has good Premier league experience, although he will be 32 in December. He would only be a squad player on Tyneside, but if we are really interested in the player we could get him signed up – although he has usually stayed in London during his football career, although he did spend three years at Aston Villa.
- Ayoze Perez of Tenerife, who is only 20, will apparently sign for Newcastle once the French second division completes their league fixtures early next month. We will pay about £1.6M for him, and because of the low price, there’s not too much risk in this signing, and Perez could even turn out to be a good player for us in a year or two.
It would be very good if Newcastle can get some good players through the door quickly, and maybe one or two of these players could be signed by Newcastle before next weekend?