Youngster Wants To Start Every Game – Is Compromise Possible?

Alan Pardew will need to make some decision on James Tavernier this summer, and certainly as we heard this morning Rotherham manager Steve Evans wants to keep him at Rotherham – either on loan or a permanent deal.

james tavernier with fans after rotherham recah wembley

James Tavernier – celebrates with Millers’ fans
After reaching the Championship play-off final at Wembley

And he’s been a fan favorite at Rotherham with his five goals in 28 appearances for the Millers, and he was in good form again on Sunday at Wembley, when Rotherham won the play-off final against Leyton Orient on penalties, after drawing 2-2 after 90 minutes and after extra time –  and yes – he put his penalty away in masterful style.

This is what James has said in the Chronicle today:

“It all comes down to Newcastle and Rotherham.” “And if anything can be done.” “I’ve loved it here.” “The fans have been terrific, I’d love it – to move to Rotherham.¨

“The Championship is a great level and it can only progress me even more.¨ “If I have to go to the Championship to get regular football then yeah, I will do it.” “I’ve got a year left.¨

“I just have to see what happens in the summer.¨ “I’ve been at Newcastle a long time so I need to have a conversation with Newcastle.¨ “And see what has to be said.¨

“I’ll just take it from there.” “I want to be a regular starter.¨ “I want to start every game.¨ “That’s why I came here to Rotherham. “They put faith in me and I’ve paid it back to them.”

Those are good comments from James, and here’s a player who simply wants to play football every week – whatever that level is given the skills and capabilities he has – and you cannot argue too much with that approach.

Tavernier has been given some chances at Newcastle by Alan Pardew, but that was when he played 8 times in the successful 2011-2012 season, but it’s hard for him to start at Newcastle at right-back, with French International Mathieu Debuchy one of our best players.

Maybe a good compromise for next season is to let James go out on loan to Rotherham for the full season, and then see how he does – he will then become a free agent next summer – but Rotherham will still need to pay Newcastle some compensation, because he’s been brought through the Newcastle Youth system.

Its obvious from his very good form at Rotherham this year, that James has a good career ahead of him in football. and the only question is whether that will be in the Premier League or not, and with Newcastle United or not.

What do you think?

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I’m not in a position to comment.

• Graeme

May 28, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Why not extend his contract for 2 or 3 years then send him back to Rotherham. If he continues to make similar progress, he could well end up in our 1st team or FCB can cash him in.

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Greame,
    That’s what I was thinking but Mashers will be scared in case Rotherham pull out of the deal and god forbid we end up with two right backs.

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2014 at 5:24 PM

ae

• Online Guy

May 28, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Vince is a pauper when compared to Ashley’s personal wealth ..Ashley is supposedly worth 3 billion now…and we have 98 million in the coffers . that’s TV money and cab’s transfer dosh..that’s without what we should be spending each season’s window …We are still under financial constraints ..some of the lesser clubs in the prem spent the forthcoming/got, Tv money already before it was banked start of season just gone. We still have all of our dosh ..will we spend it ?

• Online Guy

May 28, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I feel like Mike Ashley has took a little part of my Heart away…the Fire is out for the time he has took from me, and ongoing, until He’s gone ..

That’s the way it is and that’s the way I feel.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I thought a “pauper” was one who was supported at public expense or who’s existence is dependent on charitable assistance?

• Spoof

May 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM

jesper

it is m8.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM

that was what I thought 😉

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2014 at 5:43 PM

OG,
    I’m not doing a TDSarf here but all that TV money isn’t in the pot, the best way to look at it is that there’s an extra 27M TV money, we made an 8M profit last yaer after spending that money in January, my reckoning there should be about 50M give or take to spend.

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I seem to have a form of mild dyslexia as far as my a&e’s are concerned

• the broons

May 28, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Is it just me that can’t wait for the world cup to start. At the minute am just kidding myself hoping Newcastle will make a signing.

• Spoof

May 28, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Jail

are you sure about those figures m8, bearing in mind we got over £77m from tv and £19m from Cabaye combined with 2 years of operating profit, then I would tend to edge to OG’s estimate rather than your own, yes we have other expenses but we also have other means of income as well.

Not that it makes much difference as Ashley will not spend it, well not all of it, enough to assure against relegation but that’s the lot.

• Spoof

May 28, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Jail@11

is that why your words are coming out all muxed ip lol

• Online Guy

May 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Jesper/ Spoof..I am making the comparison betwixt the known wealth of the two billionaires and using the word pauper to describe the difference ..jokingly..describing the gulf in the wealth between the 2 men ..its done tongue in Cheek, so to speak ….Jesper… It might not come over that way if you take it literally, so Your Ok as I know your over in Denmark ? yes I think that’s right.. .

• Online Guy

May 28, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Spoof , I threw a spanner in the works with finding out that there is a piece of land right in the middle of the leasehold that Ashley is trying to sell ..I have all the plans from Durham land registry ..its not owned by Ashley , and will hopefully make it a difficult proposition for any prospective buyer..

The road running past the Gallowgate is not owned by anybody ..not even the Council..there is no name or owner on it ..this direct from the mouth, to me, from a senior land Registry official .

I suspect its common land ..owned by and for the use of the people.

• 70TWO

May 28, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Debuchys comments yesterday were disingenuous, when he first started for us he was not up to speed and needed to loose weight, Pardew was right to tell him not to go beyond the ball. When he returns from the WC no doubt he will need a months recovery which is a just what Tavernier needs to prove he is worth a contract extension, otherwise sell him and give Santon the RB berth.

• santonthenewmaldini

May 28, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Newcastle as a club should have this development route for the youngsters from about 17/18:

First year Loan – Dundee United play good football will toughen players up or Olympiakos/Panathinaikos depending on players level

Second year Loan – Rotherham play good football , now in championship and manager is prepared to play our players sorted

Third year – Should be ready to part of first team squad and make a contribution

A football manager computer game way of looking at it but there is no reason why we cannot set these links up straight away for this season coming and then build up alliances with teams in Belgium and France to get their best talent etc

• Spoof

May 28, 2014 at 6:25 PM

OG

I responded to Jesper before I realised where the question had came from, sorry about as it was clearly tongue in cheek.

Putting that to one side how about we run a sweep on how much of this warchest are we going to spend, rules are easy, what we spend minus what we sell from today, I will go for +£15m, with the remaining £50/60/70/80m or whatever amount it may be miraculously just vanishing, but come the next released figures I bet the alleged debt to Ashley is still the same !, what do you reckon ?

• Online Guy

May 28, 2014 at 6:26 PM

Sorry….

• beermonkey

May 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM

online guy

why post the link i got excited then for a sec

• Spoof

May 28, 2014 at 6:29 PM

thats a tw-ts trick, for a few seconds I was 20 years younger, now that the realisation has set in I am now 5 years older lol

• Online Guy

May 28, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Aye spoof

The dosh he saves on advertising is a hefty lump each season …I recon it comes under unfair trading in some respects/guise ..amazing how the benefit he receives for SD is not offset by the intrest on the loan and the loan diminishing by a few million annually ..the debt stays right up there ..reckons the advertising free is just servicing the intrest on his pretend loan …wah , its a long story now ..convoluted, in cahoots, and a massive CON. what a greedy Man.

• Online Guy

May 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Beer ..it was ED wot done it !

Sorry though ..just dreaming.

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Spoof,
    There is 77M TV money, but there is only an extra 27M from last year, I think the TV money as a whole is a misconception.

• Spoof

May 28, 2014 at 6:45 PM

What about stating that cups aren’t a priority, they were careful how they worded that and they had to be, basically they want to be knocked out of them as there is no gain for them, but if a player throw’s a match he gets done, but bye saying not a priority that doesn’t mean throwing it, but realistically that is there wish, it’s pathetic, they should still get done by the FA for bringing the game into disrepute as they are not encouraging the players to do their best as it could conflict with the owners wishes, how can a player perform at his best when he knows that the owner doesn’t really want them to win, it has to be a conflict, the FA should hammer him.

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2014 at 6:47 PM

beermonkey,
    Look at the date on it, it was an April fools post a few years back.

• beermonkey

May 28, 2014 at 6:52 PM

jail
    saw the first bit didn’t read it all before i got all excited
    then i read it and was slightly miffed

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2014 at 6:53 PM

beermonkey,
    When it was first posted a few years back more than a few people were miffed !

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

May 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM

OG…that’s right mate 🙂

…I probably took it literally! lol

• kevymartins

May 28, 2014 at 7:10 PM

See the video EA put up. Holland vs france Newcastle game of fifa.

De Jong and Krul vs Mbiwa and haidara.

It’s on fbook group ea sports fifa

• Ian Toon

May 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Looking at the April Fool Post, I came across a post from a football fan who had something of interest to offer. In fact the posts were really quite entertaining.
    For younger fans, this really was an historic toon win which pretty much kept us out of the then third division. The following season KK aided by SJH started to work the magic.

bills-son was a good contributor to the blog and his historically extolling of passion for the toon really in line with my own thinking. At present the chaff on here is in danger of clogging the whole medium and the less time reading such clueless drivel the more enriched life will be. That’s just my opinion.

16bills-son // Apr 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    The Wolves game reminds me of the home game against Portsmouth in Keegans first season as manager. We were facing relegation to the 3rd division and a defeat would have left us right in the caccy.

The crowd were sh%tting themselves everytime Portsmouth attacked and we nearly blew the roof off the stand when ‘Ned’ Kelly blasted a goal into the top corner with about 10 mins to go. Those last 10 mins were almost unbearable, the crowd and the players were panicking until the ref finally blew the whistle.

That result set us up for avoiding relegation and I reckon the Wolves game is without doubt the biggest of the year so far. Win and we are 90% safe, lose and we are 90% in the caccy.

HWTL.

• BandB

May 28, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Ian Toon,

“At present the chaff on here is in danger of clogging the whole medium and the less time reading such clueless drivel the more enriched life will be. ”

I called you a pseud recently.

Sorry.

I meant pompous pseud.

• Jail for Ashley

May 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Ian Toon,
    After you spent months with at least two user accounts talking to yourself and bigging yourself up with your alter ego, using one of those accounts to abuse other posters on the sly, you have no right or credibility to judge other peoples posts as clueless drivel.

• welshgeordie9

May 28, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Ian Toon
    May 28, 2014

i think you are in the doghouse

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2014 at 7:30 PM

So Benny, Ryan Taylor, Sammi, and Jonas are entering the final year of their contracts. Surely Jonas is done with us? For the others it’s a make or break year. Benny is probably gone and it’s time for Sammy to step up. Raylor might get a 1 or 2 year extension if he has recovered from the injury. More players to make decisions about Alan.

• GeordieTwo

May 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I see Poyet got a new contract (surprisingly not an 8 year one! since they’re all the rage) 🙂 with Sunderland. They also signed Billy Jones from West Brom. How are wor signings coming Alan. You can talk to free agents you know. Surely we’ll want several of those as the owner is hard up?

• welshgeordie9

May 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Good evening GeordieTwo and how are you today

• Ian Toon

May 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM

BandB- Your perfectly entitled to your opinion. The blog does provide the ability to respond to our critics, admirers or interrogators, if we wish.
    I personally find tedious repetition, obvious inaccuracy, and babble of every kind a plain boring read. Clearly there’s no accounting for taste. I am painfully aware sometimes of myself producing commentary that answers to this description. In such cases I value responses from those who know more and understand better.