Bafe Gomis In London For Talks

There is a report today in the Mail that Newcastle striker target Bafetimbi Gomis will be traveling to London today, and it’s to meet with various suitors to see if the free agent French International can make a deal with some Premier League clubs, and it’s all been arranged by his new adviser Willie McKay.

bafe gomis Alexandre Lacazette

Bafe Gomis – in London today

But we had a report out only yesterday in the Journal, that Newcastle were no longer interested in the player for basically two reasons – one was that he will be 29 in August and presumably too old for Newcastle, and the other – said to be the main reason – was that his wage demands were too high (for frugal Newcastle).

And so the clubs said to be interested do not include Newcastle this time, and they are said to be West Ham, Swansea and Sunderland – who all finished in the lower half of the Premier League last season.

And Gomis’ new savvy  adviser Willie McKay  has those clubs exactly where they want them – it will become a bidding war on compensation and wages – and the best and biggest offer will win the day.

This is what the Scot has said as an opening salvo:

“Bafetimbi is one of the best free agents in Europe at the moment. He’s quick, strong and most important scores goals…will somebody start the bidding at eighty grand a week.”

There you go – perfect – so you know why Willie is one of the best agents in the football world.

There’s not much to the Mail report – that’s it basically – that he will be in London and that three clubs are after him.

But it wouldn’t surprise us too much we suppose, if Newcastle are not one of the clubs in the auction for him, since Lee Charnley did stress in March that Newcastle still want younger players coming in over the summer, whose best days are still ahead of them.

There could be some movement on this in a few days, and it could well be that after Newcastle have been involved for almost two years to get the player, we walk away from the table, and we’ve seen this play before.

This time the Journal and other new outlets could be right – and it’s the wages that are too high.

What do you think?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 29, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Soppose to be having talks with West Ham, QPR and the Mackems.
    Previous post I would take Jordan Rhodes at a drop of a hat but knowing the TOON they will miss out or just another story put about.

I have a funny gut feeling that we will not sign anyone and hope we can bump along. And if desperate sign someone in January which by the way the squad is shaping up we will be cast adrift.

If so I do not understand the logic.

Or is there a cunning plan by Ashley: take this years TV money next years and bail out when we are in the Championship where he can sell the club for a lot less money yet he has taken his wedge.

Hope not

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 29, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Charlie,
    I think your gut is wrong on this one, maybe you had a dodgy pint? 😉

We will sign players this summer, how many, and what standard is debatable, but I think all at the club realise that we have to bring in at least one or two.

I guess the actual figure of people brought in will depend on whether we manage to ship any out. Marveaux at £3million? No chance, maybe use him as a makeweight for Cabella or Grenier, if either club are willing to take him. HBA is supposedly being actively touted about, but nobody has shown any interest so far. Then there is MYM, who, unless Streete or Satka are ready to step up will need replacing anyway.

As for the sale, I think he would be more willing to keep us in the Prem and sell for a higher figure, but who knows. The bloke is pretty hard to read in terms of that sort of thing, and will sell when it is the best time for him I guess.

• Lilongwe Geordie

May 29, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Firebug,
    Okay, fair enough. Although 3rd or 4th choice behind who? He isn’t exactly pressed for competition!

No surprise that we are miles apart on any valuation of Cabella.

Blofal,
    Yeah, he would probably suit Pardew’s style better, but from what I saw of him at Huddersfield he is very much a penalty box striker. Haven’t seen much at Blackurn to know if he has become more than that, but any penalty box striker will struggle here until we sort out our supply lines!

• Jail for Ashley

May 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Charlie,
    My theory on Ashley selling which I have said a few times on here, is that Mashers is here until those eight year contracts run out, he can then sell every first team player for whatever he can get and then pretty much sell us for a pittance walking away with all his money back and more, and his objectives complete as far as his subsidary companies abnd their exposure is concerned, I am very worried at what that man coukld do to our future.

• Ben3arfa

May 29, 2014 at 9:05 AM

To sign for West Ham and fat Sham ..

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

May 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Lil/Jail
    I have usually been positive on the way the club was/is going and was/is hoping that this summer when we have the stable footing and finances in position that we would push on and spend big/get in half a dozen players and have a go of getting back into Europe or winning a cup.

But I am totally confused in which direction they will go in Cannot understand with all the money they have – why haggle over £1 – £2 million to get a player and pay a higher wage ( which will be offset by the TV money)

JUST GET THE F***IN PLAYERS IN YOU WANT

or are they just paper stories on who we are after

• firebug666

May 29, 2014 at 9:13 AM

His age and wage demands will keep him out of Newcastle now.

Lilongwe Geordie
    Not sure who he would play behind yet, when or if we buy any players the picture should become clear. I won’t hold my breath on signings like as I think this year the team will be boosted from within, (and I use the term boosted lightly) Pardrew will tell us he is happy and the team is stronger than last year, and the lie producing machine will be rolled out for next season.

• Spoof

May 29, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I don’t think Ashley has any plans to sell, with all the tv income and the profits which that income brings why would he want to sell, if I owned Sunderland and was making as much as Ashley is with the limited expenditure and the limited risk would I want to sell them, not a hope in hell and would I be concerned as too how popular or unpopular I was with the fans, nope I wouldn’t, would any of you ?

• Sav

May 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM

If the player is as uninspiring as Gomis, I don’t mind seeing the club being frugal. On the other hand, if there is quality available I want them looking at the finishing line, not the bottom line.

• JP...from The Rock

May 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM

What a waste in scouting trips, I am beginning to think it was all to go for a quick holiday in France since we always walk away when the moment to bid aproaches.