The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

News On Clement Grenier Not Good For Newcastle

7:53 am, Saturday, May 31st, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 5 Comments

As we saw yesterday with Remy Cabella, it’s always very difficult in these transfer windows to know which reports are accurate and which reports are not – and in one day there were reports that the £6.5M bid for the Montpellier winger from Newcastle had been accepted,  and then news that it had been turned down, and in fact Montpellier wanted twice that amount for their star winger.

clement grenier lyon play-maker

Clement Grenier – Roma in for the play-maker

So the news that Roma have bid £10M for one of other top targets Clement Grenier of Lyon should be taken cautiously – it that’s the right word.

There was news yesterday from the Clairfontaine training facility from the player himself, who was asked about all the interest in him, and this is what he had to say:

“My agent knows I love being close to the information that is circulating around me so I am able to make sense of things.”

“I do not know what Lyon want to do with me. Whether they want me to stay or go. I am still under contract at Lyon for the moment.”

“The departure of Garde really touched me. We made ??progress and moved forward. So it was unfortunate to see him go.”

It must be difficult for the players participating in the World Cup to hear all these rumors about who’s submitting bids for them, and that reference to Garde is that the manager  Remi Garde, who had been at Lyon since 2011 when he replaced Claude Puel, is leaving the club.

Garde’s contract was up in the summer, and he has decided to leave Lyon and move on, and he announced that decision about two weeks ago.

As far as Newcastle are concerned if it’s true that for Lille manager Rudi Garcia of Roma has bid £10M for Grenier, that’s not good news, and of course they will be able to offer Grenier Champions League football as they finished second in the Serie A to Juventus last season.

The problem Newcastle have these days is once a top club comes in for one of our targets, we are immediately put into a weak negotiating position , since we are now a middle of the Premier League side.

And it’s not only that we cannot offer our targets European football, it’s worse than that, we don’t even have ambitions for the club to get into the Champions League.

That’s the real problem we have in the these transfer windows, our  lack of ambition is beginning to hurt us big time.

5 responses so far ↓

• 1 gaz 44 // May 31, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Anyone who thinks ibaro is any better than a tin of salt and vinegar Pringles up front is clearly a fifa geek who sets there team up as a pace whore..
    Anyone who actually blames pardew for how poor mbwia is and the fact were considering selling is about as knowledgebale at football as mr pardew

• 2 lesh // May 31, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Yes Ed, once a top club comes in for one of our targets, we are immediately put into a weak negotiating position , since we are now a middle of the Premier League side.

And more to the point, because Ashley dithers and then submits unrealistic bids, we do not complete.

If and it’s a big if, Ashley was serious about wanting to recruit top players, he’d submit a realistic first bid to trigger serious negotiations.

As it is, we submit bids that do nothing more than show contempt for both the targets and the selling clubs.

Cheapskate!

• 3 Wandering Geordie // May 31, 2014 at 8:13 AM

It was never going to happen
    No Champions league to offer
    Sham manager
    Sham owner
    World cup starting
    No desire to win anything
    Basically No Clem on Tyne

• 4 maikelw // May 31, 2014 at 8:39 AM

I only hear nufc is interested in 1000 players but there is no action. Some players need to be get in before the world cup afterwards will probably to late. And if the players will not come then we will be doing an arsenal and get players like chamakh not good enough. I absplutely have no faith in current people who are doing the transfer business.

• 5 couchy-spennymoor-mags // May 31, 2014 at 9:11 AM

All this talk is so depressing. Next season I will be going to watch my local team spennymoor town,who have just been promoted. The season before last we won the fa vase,which was a cracking day at wembley. It is a team that is going forwards,whom play exciting attacking football. And it only costs me a fiver to go and watch. We have a owner with ambition who wants big things for the club. I’m not saying I will stop supporting my beloved nufc. But I’ve just about had enough of this regime. We have just received 70million or so in tv money. To me it feels like mike is putting us all through this misery on purpose. It’s just sad times at nufc until this fat t**t has f****d off or even better died. Harsh but that’s how I feel guys sorry.

previous post: Newcastle Interested in Columbian International Forward