It was a strange turn of events on Friday, when it was heavily reported that Remy Cabella could be signing for Newcastle, and that the Tyneside club was getting close to a deal for on of their top summer transfer targets.
Remy Cabella – French International winger
And some reports said that Newcastle had already agreed a fee of £6.5M (€8M) for the player (although that seemed a bit low) and of course Cabella won his first full cap for France in their 4-0 win over Norway last Tuesday night.
And it was also thought that Cabella was happy enough to join Newcastle, after players like Debuchy, Sissoko, Cabaye and Remy had talked to him at Clairefontaine about the club, during France’s preparations for the World Cup.
It could have been misleading reporting that caused the news that a fee had been accepted and then vice Chairman Laurent Nicollin, son of Montpellier Chairman Louis Nicollin came out and said that €8M wasn’t enough, and he is worth almost twice that.
But there are also some reports that Montpellier moved the goalposts, and after agreeing to the €8M deal, they changed their minds.
We all know that Louis Nicollin does not like Newcastle United, and he basted Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa when he joined Newcastle in January of last year.
And the 70 year-old has already told Cabella that Newcastle would not be a good choice of club for him, and to solidify that position Montpellier coach Rolland Courbis had this to say in January:
“They are not a big club,” “And I hope another club tries to buy him. As a player I would not even want to spend a week there at Newcastle.”
And there was news last week that big spenders PSG, who are keen to recruit more French players into their squad, may be interested in the 24 year-old.
So Newcastle could be swimming upstream in our attempts to get Remy Cabella to the club, and it looks like Montpellier will make every attempt to steer Cabella to a club other than Newcastle – and a bigger club.
That’s not good.
What do you think?