Newcastle Target Could Still Make World Cup


The reports in France about top winger Franck Ribery are becoming increasingly negative that the Bayern Munich player will be able to play in the World Cup and recover from his back injury, which doesn’t seem to be responding well to treatment.

frank ribery france

Frank Ribery – top French winger

Ribery was included in the 23 man squad for the World Cup, even though it was known he was receiving treatment for his back, and earlier this week L’Equipe reported that French manager Didier Deschamps may be forced to replace Ribery from his 23-man squad, before the World Cup starts a week tomorrow in Brazil.

France coach Bixente Lizarazu was also quoted as saying:

“We’re worried about Ribery because we don’t know what he has.”

If Ribery cannot make it, then it could be that Newcastle target Remy Cabella will be brought in, because Cabella is the future of France, and French reports claim he has been looking good during the French training camp.

But the obvious replacement would seem to be 26 year-old Samir Nasri, who was surprisingly left out of the French squad, but Didier Deschamps is thought not to rate the player too highly.

That’s at least when he plays for France, and Deschamps has already said Nasri very rarely reproduces the form he shows when he plays for Manchester City.

Remy CABELLA

Remy Cabella – on standby to replace Ribery

If Cabella does make the squad and plays in the World Cup that could complicate Newcastle’s  attempts to sign the player from Montpellier, after our initial bid of £6.5M for the player was turned down.

Newcastle have not yet tabled a second bid, but there’s no way Newcastle will meet the Montpellier asking price of around £13M for the 24 year-old midfielder.

Sounds like another stalemate to us. 🙁

Deschamps submitted his official 23 man squad to FIFA late Monday night, and Ribery was included in that squad, but FIFA rules allow for an injured player to be replaced after the Monday deadline, and up to 24 hours before a team’s first World Cup game.

France play Honduras in their first Group E game on 15th June.

Comments welcome.

Note: Matthew Stephenson is a life-long Newcastle fan and an avid reader of this blog – and he is participating in the Great North Run in early September, and running to raise money for Beating Bowel Cancer. Here is Matthew’s JustGiving page and please donate for a worthy cause, to help him reach his £300 goal for the Charity – many thanks.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

8 comments so far

  • Scottiedog

    Jun 4, 2014 at 9:04 AM

    Comment #1

    from previous post!!
    Ings & McCormack upfront next year could be awesome!!!

    0
  • croftus5678

    Jun 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM

    Comment #2

    like other poster said i doubt we would get ings tbh burnley know all they have to do is survive 1 season and they can offer the players big money so they need all the better players they have in order to survive.

    think we need another spanish lad imo to help perex settle in and there are plenty with a lot of quality we could get cheap that would boost our team.

    0
  • Ben3arfa

    Jun 4, 2014 at 9:19 AM

    Comment #3

    Ings signed a new contract at Burnley not long ago, we shouldve tried to sign him when he was younger and playing in League One.

    Much like Sam Vokes, we missed out there

    0
  • Ben3arfa

    Jun 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM

    Comment #4

    I like the idea of Soriano, hes is a leader and a good finisher and his style is such that would allow him to play at a top level into his early 30s.

    We should try a double bid for him and Sadio Mane.

    0
  • Rotonda heights

    Jun 4, 2014 at 9:22 AM

    Comment #5

    Why does going the Brit route make people think Pardew will do any better? It’s never worked for him before and has probably got him sacked more times than not.

    Pardew is just a prat who can’t work with good foreign players. Falling back on now going for Brit players as yet another excuse for his failure as a coach is pretty low, even for him.

    No objection to taking a flutter on Ings in the same way Sunderland have gone for Mutch, but things like opting for keeping Saylor over MYM make me sick.

    0
  • Scottiedog

    Jun 4, 2014 at 9:30 AM

    Comment #6

    @ 5 – Sorry you are wrong there mate!! A few years a go our comeback against Arsenal was led by Nolan and Barton who both had never say die attitudes, and unfortunately this year the frenchies just curled up and rolled over and really seemed not to care 🙁 . We need this fight back into our club hence why the like of Sidwell and Colback are a good shout,

    0
  • lesh

    Jun 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM

    Comment #7

    Repost from the thread about McCormack at Leeds….

    ‘….. Italian owner Cellino let Brian McDermott go, and although the departure was done very professionally on both sides’

    Err, wasn’t it the very same Cellino who ‘sacked’ McDermott before his bid had been cleared? Needless to say McDermott was subsequently un-sacked then re-sacked!

    Sounds like Cellino’s professionalism’s taken from the Ashley Guide to Good Management Practice!

    If Danny Ings and Burnley play at Turd Moor then we must play at St Crapball’s Park?

    😉

    0
  • Laurent Robert 32

    Jun 4, 2014 at 9:57 AM

    Comment #8

    Scottie, and what kind of service would they receive to score their goals?

    0

You must log in to post a comment.