The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Newcastle Weakness Should Be Fixed This Summer

3:16 pm, Wednesday, June 4th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 62 Comments

Newcastle have to bring in at least three strikers if we are to replace Shola Ameobi, Luuk de Jong and Loic Remy this summer, but looking at our defensive record over the last few seasons, it shows its one of Newcastle weaknesses, so we need to also bring in some defenders too.

Curtis Good Ecuador+22got4we3XVl

Curtis Good – can he make breakthrough next season?

In the season before last we conceded 68 goals, and that’s the most we have ever concede din the Premier League and last season we still conceded 59 goals, which is what we conceded when we were relegated in 2009.

Here are the goals conceded over the last years by Newcastle for the preceding season

2014 – 59
2013 – 68
2012 – 51
2011 – 57
2009 – 59
2008 – 65
2007 – 47
2006 – 42

So since Mike Ashley bought Newcastle in the summer of 2007, our defense has never been particularly good, and we have leaked far too many goals.

Newcastle did try to strengthen the defense in January of last year, when we brought in both Mathieu Debuchy and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, and whereas Mathieu has been a big success, it looks like Mapou’s time is up at Newcastle, although he played some very good games for us last season – including that 1-0 win at White Hart Lane, when he was terrific.

Newcastle continue to look to bring young players in,  and it seems we had a chance to recently sign Manchester City and England International Joleon Lescott, who would be good enough to start for Newcastle – but he turns 32 in August.

However, with the better training methods and diets of players these days compared to 20 years ago, players today should be able to play well into their mid-thirties, and one or two experienced players wouldn’t be bad buys for Newcastle.

Manchester City defender Micah Richards is also available this summer, but we don’t hear much news about Newcastle being interested in him, although we have been reported to be interested in 24 year-old Aaron Cresswell of Ipswich, who looks a solid left-back and he’s English too.

As far as young defenders coming through at Newcastle, Australian International Curtis Good has caught the eye recently, having done well at Dundee United and he played excellently in his first International game for Australia, and he’s well thought of at Newcastle.

Maybe this lad can make a breakthrough and from what we’ve seen of him, the 21 year-old is a solid player with a very good left foot, but first things first – and Newcastle need to ensure he’s fit for pre-season and get that hip injury fixed.

19 year-old Remie Streete is also possibly one for the future,  but he needs to start showing though, and maybe Remie will be sent out on loan for next season, but as far as Good is concerned, he may be good enough to challenge for a first team spot next season on Tyneside.

If not Curtis should be sent out on loan next season, preferably to a Championship club.

And 19 year-old Kevin Mbabu, who we signed sixteen months ago from Servette, seems to be coming though well, and the Swiss U21 International should also probably be sent out on loan to get first team experience next season.

We would like to see two top-notch defenders brought in this summer – a center-back and a full-back would be good.

What do you think?

Note: Matthew Stephenson is a life-long Newcastle fan and an avid reader of this blog – and he is participating in the Great North Run in early September, and running to raise money for Beating Bowel Cancer. Here is Matthew’s JustGiving page and please donate for a worthy cause, to help him reach his £300 goal for the Charity – many thanks.

Tags: Curtis Good · Kevin Mbabu · Newcastle Academy · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Remie Streete

62 responses so far ↓

• 1 jazzyp // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM

ED Cheickhou Kouyate would be a massive shout as metioned earlier today. Or Lovren and Caulker.
    Any of the above would im sure make a big difference to our Squad.
    Willo although had a good season is no world beater. Colo is starting to take a lot of injuries on board.
    Taylor….Well the less said about him the better.
    Mapou…..Although loads of potential, Needs a good run in the team in his favoured position to prove his worth

• 2 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM

REPOST

Jazzy P

Relax mate. I answered a few of your statements you put across to me, maybe if you stop using words like dude people may start to take you seriously. Type into Google Cabella and Newcastle…..you will come across articles that claim we have had an offer accepted blah blah blah!! It is what it is we will agree to disagree on this mate.

Spoof

Interesting perspective and I agree only time will tell, the Non-Disclosure Agreements these players sign will ensure that we won’t find out for a while though. Can you think of why we leaked to media on the day of the game that Cabaye wasn’t playing and that Arsenal had bid for him….Wenger said Arsenal bid for him on the Friday, yet we leaked it on the Monday, it all seems a bit dodgy to me mate!!

Jonty

The fact that you would be delighted to sign a £4m worth Colback just goes to show how far we have fallen!! Not long ago we were in the top 20 European clubs for revenue. A new promoted team he’s ideal for!!

• 3 Bleemo // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM

One player I would really like us to buy is Harry Maguire. He is 21 years old and 6’4″ and plays like a player much older than himself. He also scored 5 goals last season mostly with his head and is English. He is in the last year of his contract and utd are said to want just £2m for him.

I agree with the usual suggestions of Caulker and Cresswell as well. We need more British lads in the squad.

• 4 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Jazzy P

I would take Lovren or Caulker in a heartbeat mate, think they are both really good!! Good shout

• 5 Thump // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:31 PM

You can’t blame the defensive issues on Ashley. For all his shortcomings, Newcastle United has always had a shite defence.

• 6 Graeme // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Thump, how can you possibly say we have a shite defence – P45DUE coaches them personally – Oh, maybe thats the reason!!!

• 7 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Fellow fans I don’t buy into this British nonsense, its farcical…it should be about what players can bring to a team not about nationalities!! I’ve heard a lot of this British players are needed etc. & quite frankly I’m confused by the statements, what do British players bring that foreigner or cheaper imports can’t bring?

• 8 jazzyp // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Ourtoon
    Holy sh@t batman is there a compliment in your last post to me………..Only joking dude…….I mean mate lol.
    Lovers tiff aside I Agree with Ed like many positions that need addressing this summer, The CB position I feel is week. I keep waiting with baited breath on our great hope in the form of Remi streete but as of yet he has failed to break in to the 1st team. Good is another prospect as is a few more.
    But its a top CB we crave for that will walk into our first team and actually command the back four, And who Debuchy can work off

• 9 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:41 PM

And still we have the hopeless ??????? and I don’t care if I started a paragraph with the word and, if Shakesheare can do it then so can I, rant over, I feel much better now.

• 10 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Jazzy P

Haha savour the moment DUDE it may never happen again lol just joking, we are both very passionate fans I apologise if I irritated you mate. This blog gives us all a chance to have a healthy debate!!

• 11 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Spoof

Whats even scarier mate is that we set up to defend and pinch a goal….can’t do either though!!

• 12 jazzyp // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Ourtoon
    Yeah mate it does get the better of us sometimes lol.
    Makes the day fly by though bud when you do get into a good debate… whatever that may be

• 13 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:45 PM

I don’t like Caulker, from what I have seen of him he is very slow and panics when under pressure, Kouyate or Simon Kjaer would be high on my list.

• 14 Bleemo // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Our Toon hat they bring I think is a little bit more heart. It’s a psychological thing if you come from a foreign country to a club it’s because you think there is a chance you can win stuff. Where as if you are just from that region you are playing for that club because you are an English footballer and that is your job.

You can see the issues from a mile when things don’t go quite right. I genuinely think most Foreign players join us thinking these are a decent top ten side with big support I’ll play for these for 1-2 years then move to a bigger club and when that doesn’t happen they have a tantrum i.e. Cabaye refusing to play, Cisse pushing for a move last summer, Debuchy now making noises like he wants to move.

• 15 jazzyp // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Spoof
    I truly feel that the Fat controller has ran the squad down that much over the last few year that unless addressed, we could be in serious trouble next term.
    Were shipping goals in for fun and yet when we have a proven goalscorer “Sell him”. Or any top player we sell on for that matter.
    We just seem to be spiralling from one disaster to another, But slowly sinking further and further into the mire

• 16 lesh // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Shoot! When I saw the headline, I thought I’d be reading that Ashley and his crew would be moving on.

Hey ho, hopes dashed yet again.

:[

• 17 belgrade fan // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:51 PM

IT will be very easy to take money next season playing vs Newcastle. Colback sub for Cabaye and MCCormak for Remy. now just to offload Ben and Mapoy and with AP we will be 15th/17th. but 52000 idiots will always be there to support regime

• 18 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Our Toon

thats right m8, when under pressure and the defence looks like crumbling I always look at the bench and see Ben Arfa and I pray that he comes on, bear with as I know that this sounds as if I have lost my marbles ( keep your comments to yourself you cheeky bugger lol ) but when you are under the cosh you need an escape, Benny or his type of player can do that due to the fear factor, as soon as his type come on the oppenents look and say hang on he is dangerous and they quite often drop back 10 yards to watch out for him which is the release of pressure which the defence needs, its like the old Wimbledon side when they conceded a corner, what they would do is have 3/4 men on the half way line which would spook their opponents and they would have 5/6 on the half way line to cover any quick break which could happen so when the corner was taken the Wimbledon keeper had virtually an empty box and would claim the ball with relative ease, mind games but it did work, attack is the best form of defence and these are 2 examples of how it can work, it does make sence if you think about it.

• 19 Scottiedog // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM

@9 – Colo has been a great defender for us!

and btw, who signed Titus Bramble!!!!! Managers cannot see into the future!

• 20 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Bleemo

Isn’t that just a symptom of ambitious players playing for a poor regime though? Look at Nolan and Barton they wanted to leave. I honestly think this notion of British players bringing more heart is absolute tosh mate….look no further than the recent U21’s tournament when our lads lost in groups and couldn’t care less, I find English lads think they’ve made it before they actually do hence why so many fail after showing promise.

If I was a footballer I’d use any club to achieve the highest pinnacle of football….don’t forget mate we are managed by a Brit as well, dare I say the most clueless of Brits!! Imports come here and adapt to a new league which shows more fight, mental strength to me than a Brit who refuses to leave these shores to better his career, we are now trying to come up with ways to improve the numbers of British players playing at the highest level but I look at the Wiltshire’s and Barkley’s coming through…..these lads have the best of both imports and British players which can only be good for our game. Bottom line is that British players are overpriced and over hyped, look no further than Downing in the overpriced market and Rooney in the over hyped market

Talking of tantrums, Gerrard held Liverpool to Ransom & asked for a transfer, got a new contract and all was forgotten. Rooney has twice held Man Utd to Ransom and got contracts out of them!!

• 21 cyprus // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM

You can accuse MA of many things Ed, but he isn’t exactly the guy doing the defending. If you must mention someone from management there is that elephant in the room, from 2010 onward.

• 22 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Scottiedog

of cause they can’t, Cloughie signed Justin Fashanu, even the best get it wrong, but I don’t recall having a go at any manager or even the club for that matter (on this particular post), but Colo was good in the championship but apart from that he has been poor, he has always been slow, always been weak in the tackle, always hopeless in the air and never has he been brave.

• 23 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Don’t you lot realize this is why we’re so desperate to get Cacapa back? This is the man we need to anchor wor immobile defense! Very little movement wasted, mostly stand and watch as strikers fly around them! Beautiful!

• 24 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM

We’re looking at Jonathan Soriano? The lad is 29 in September. I thought we only looked for young players with decent sell-on value? Or is that another pile of bollocks from the management?

• 25 Belfast // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Roger that geordie two Harrumph

• 26 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Spoof

Excellent post mate, makes complete sense and one of the main reasons I’d play HBA is because of what you have stated. Yes he doesn’t defend but he does ensure the opposition doubles up on him which creates more space for others!! Also as an attacking entity we must be more expressive which is one of the reasons the flair players will never shine under Percy

• 27 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM

On behalf of wor beloved club I demand more cheap, young, excellent players from France be turned over to us for a pittance! We’ve got to make a stand on this lads or they’ll be expecting real money at some point!

• 28 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Ta Belfast mate. Where do you stand on cheap, young, excellent French players? Does Mike not deserve to get them extremely cheaply as he is such a fine fellow?

• 29 Scottiedog // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:18 PM

@22

“So since Ashley took over our defence has been pretty poor, remind me was one if not his first major signing, Fabricio Coloccini, is it a coincidence that he has been the mainstay of our defence in a period which we have had a shockingly poor defence ?”

Buying football players for a (any) club is like playing Russian Roulette , take Soldado & Lamela @ Spurs and how many 10′s of millions they have spent and what failures they have turned out to be!

• 30 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Well, now that we’ve done wor transfer business well before the World Cup we can all relax. The team is solid now. We’re looking sleek and menacing. Possibly we’re too good for the Prem in fact? We need some kind of continental Super League to play in!

• 31 Belfast // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I think Ashley as well and truly raped the french market geordietwo. Time to move on from there me thinks

• 32 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:27 PM

Absolutely Belfast mate. But Burundi is wide open!

• 33 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Scottiedog

what is your problem, buying players is or can be a lottery, yes I agree, but I reiterate, I have not blamed the manager nor the owner ( on this occasion ), it’s not Ashleys fault that he wasted his money on Colo, what I said was factual as it has been a poor defence but the reason I was giving for that was Colo and nothing else, read the post again and you will see that I was blaming Colo, like I say, what are you on about ?

• 34 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Scottiedog

It can be roulette but Soldado will come good if he stays at spurs…..how many have looked awful in the 1st year to then looking awesome afterwards. Can’t have helped having 2 managers as well though

I have a question seeing as there a lot of Colo bashing going on…..when was the last time we had a good defence? When was the last time we consistently defended well? Let’s not blame 1 person, most of you voted Williamson as the best player of the season yet he played in a defence that conceded a shed load of goals!!

• 35 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM

We’ve allowed an average of 60 goals per year since 2008! The Ashley period has been tremendously successful! And the Pardew years? An average of 59 goals per season. You see how it pays to bring in a defensive specialist? :)

• 36 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Our Toon

it was certainly before Colo joined us, and no one can disagree with that unless they class the Championship as being a fair barometer.

• 37 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM

GT@35

thats good m8, really made me laugh you sarcastic bugger you, he he he

• 38 santonthenewmaldini // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

The reason we concede so many goals is down to the way we are set up we have never been able to play under pressure when teams press us high up the pitch under Pardew we just hoof it long which gives the other team the ball back and forces us under pressure

Also Pardew always tries to go 442 against teams with 5 in the middle and we get dominated and go 2 or 3 goals down

Maybe with Shola being away he may actually have to learn to keep possession better but I cant see it to be honest

• 39 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I just feel we need to keep up with the stats Spoofy mate! We can uncover some hidden gems in there. Such as the myth of Pardew’s quality as a teacher of defensive skills. My sides are splitting. When can we look forward to a decent replacement for wor Alan Mike? Possibly when you make a shambles of the coming transfer window and need someone to blame?

• 40 the truth will out // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM

when willo partnered mbwia

• 41 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM

love these words

“To have nurtured such a homegrown talent, only to see him depart for nothing on a Bosman free transfer is hard enough.

But for him to leave only to resurface at your biggest rivals, just makes it all the more painful.”

• 42 Bleemo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:47 PM

That’s all well and good Our Toon if the foreign players are good like Cabaye or Demba Ba. But where I am talking about is just having good solid British squad players.

For example statistically our best defence for the last x amount of years was the Defence for the first half of the season we finished 5th. That defence was Simpson RB Williamson CB Collocini CB and R Taylor LB. Have Santon, Haidiara and Mbiwa improved our defence? There’s an argument for Debuchy because he’s a good player but he still plays in a leaky defence.

Is Krul a better stopper than Forster a geordie and by proxy English, 6’7″ player who supports the club?

What about Obertan or Marveux? statistically Sammy Ameobi has had more impact than Obertan on the first team, is a nice lad and wants to be here.

• 43 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM

So we are looking to pay Leeds £8M for McCormack?

…I would pay them £3M and that it (thank God it’s not my money ;) ) lol

• 44 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:49 PM

*that’s it

• 45 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM

GT

don’t start me off on stats m8, I have had enough of that from Our Toon and some other jerk who wasn’t making any sense, Geordie37 or something or other, hope he is not related, he does share the family name (Geordie) ?, if so then you must make the ultimate sacrifice and sacrifice one of your own ?

• 46 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM

No way Ashley will pay 8M for McCormack jesper mate so no need to worry! We’ll be in there with our usual 3M pound bid while bitterly complaining that players cost far too much (except when we sell them that is).

• 47 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:53 PM

There are no recognized bloggers of repute above Geordie3 Spoofy mate, so Geordie37 is some kind of WUM.

• 48 Bleemo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:54 PM

So the point being is that yes you sometimes need to look overseas because what you need is not available on your doorstep. The problem is as many Football pundits (Linekar, Waddle, Hodgson, Hoddle etc) who know far more about football than us have said. Is when you replace a British squad player with a foreign squad player.

You only have to look at the solid job Perch, Guthrie and Best did for us only to be replaced by foreign players who did the exact same thing.

I like Anita but he has had no more impact on the team than Perch did in terms of goals and assists and getting stuck in. Guthrie actually scored more goals and made more assists. Best never had a full run in the team yet managed 4 goals in a season he was injured and 6 when he only played a third of the season, the kind of numbers De Jong and Lovenkrands could only dream of lol.

• 49 AmericanGeordie // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I think we should test Stoke City’s resolve by making a move for Ryan Shawcross.

• 50 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM

If we could actually get the ball (with control) in the opponents’ half once in a while we might have a better defensive record. How often do we dominate in the final third? Usually for about 10 minutes a game. We don’t play a possession game yet we’re not great counter-attackers either. What exactly are we good at?

• 51 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:56 PM

jesper

“that’s it” thats what, whats happened, have we signed someone ?………………….sorry I didn’t see your post above, didn’t realise it was a correction, I thought you were getting excited about something and as a result I did, urgg, back to reality ?

• 52 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Not a bad idea American Geordie. He would be a quality signing so we won’t go after him. Far too expensive. We’re busy looking for a young Cacapa.

• 53 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM

GT@47

g2@47, that sound s like a radio message doesn’t it, anyway based on his nonsense I believe you are correct young man, over and out !!!!!!!

• 54 AmericanGeordie // Jun 4, 2014 at 5:08 PM

In RE: Ryan Shawcross

For what it’s worth, transfermarkt.com lists his value at 9MM Euro. I’d bid 7-8MM quid for him in a heartbeat!

26 years old
    6’3″ tall
    English
    Loads of Prem League experience
    Stay-at-home defender, solid in the air; anchored a stingy Stoke City defense for years.
    Decent pedigree as he came through the ManU youth system.
    He may be ready for a move to a bigger club?

What’s not to love?

• 55 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Has anybody (Pardew for example) told Mike that the squad is a bit of a shambles now? Having fallen out with Benny and Marveaux, and not rating Mbiwa and Obertan, we have players who clearly aren’t going to want to be here next season. Most if not all of the rumours about incoming sound like bollocks other than Perez and Colback. Very difficult situation with an idiot at the top in a World Cup year.

• 56 GeordieTwo // Jun 4, 2014 at 5:11 PM

It’s the price tag you mentioned that wor Ashley wouldn’t love American Geordie. He prefers to pay 4M pounds or less for top players. That way the sell-on is huge! What a brilliant man he is!

• 57 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Spoof… haha :D

…sorry if I got your hopes up mate!

GT…I won’t worry mate, I know we will sign a few freebies and promote a few “not good enough youngsters that didn’t even impress that much on loan” ;)

Harrumph!

• 58 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM

AmericanGeordie@54

it was a good up to when you said he came through the Man U youth system, which was fine as well, but the following line killed it for me !!! sad state of affairs ?

• 59 Spoof // Jun 4, 2014 at 5:26 PM

jesper

seeing as it was you I will forgive you, I wouldn’t for anyone else mind lol.

• 60 Our Toon // Jun 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Bleemo

You point to British football pundits they will always have a biased opinion. I’m actually pointing out to International class players. you pointed out poor foreign imports to cover for your theory yet Ba was bought in the season we sold Best. Cabaye was Barton or Nolan’s replacement, HBA replaced Raylor on RW and then Raylor was rightly replaced at LB

Mate these english players are poor at best, Raylor, Saylor….thats why we achieve nothing at international level.

• 61 jazzyp // Jun 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Now were talking boy’s…….Nufc in talks with Siem de jong’s agent. If all rumour’s are to be believed then this is one of them I hope to be true

• 62 Bleemo // Jun 4, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I agree with Stephen Taylor he peaked in his early twenties, is out of shape and by all account daft as a brush. Ryan Taylor did a very credible job however scoring about as many goals as you would expect a utility player to score and making a reasonable amount of assists. his primary problem is injuries.

I never once said we wouldn’t have international players I am talking about redressing the balance between foreign and English players. There’s actually nothing wrong with many English players they’re just not fashionable is all. Even Ginola said they had bought too many foreign players and it would cause problems.

The two periods we have excelled as a club in recent histroy we have had a good British spine to our team.

previous post: Good News – Newcastle Close To Signing Sunderland Midfielder