Confusion Reigns Over Newcastle Bid


The new Leeds United Italian owner Massimo Cellino tha said that Newcastle have put in a substantial bid for their striker and captain Ross McCormack, but Newcastle are saying that’s just not true.

ross mccormack

Ross McCormack – Newcastle have not bid

This is what Cellino has said, which started all the controversy:

“Newcastle made an offer for McCormack and I said no.”  “He is happy to stay here and that made me proud.”

But Newcastle almost immediately have said that they have not put in any bid for the Leeds United captain, and Sky Sports seem to be backing up the Newcastle position, as they have reported the following:

“Sky sources have described Cellino’s statement as ‘nonsense’ and insist that no bid has been lodged with the Elland Road outfit.”

It could be that Newcastle were preparing an initial bid, after it broke yesterday that the Tynesdie club had become interested in the 27 year-old Scottish International striker.

But certainly that statement by Massimo Cellino seems to be a little self-serving.

So at least at the moment confusion seems to reign around a Newcastle bid for McCormack.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

23 comments so far

  • scout

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:05 PM

    Comment #1

    I’m with the Leeds geez

    0
  • toonarmydownsouth

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:05 PM

    Comment #2

    Really really hope this is complete BS
    If this is out attempt to bring in a replacement for Remy/Ba then we might as well forfeit the season and just start next season in the fizzy pop!!!

    0
  • Jail for Ashley

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:11 PM

    Comment #3

    tads,
    I know it’s still early but when you’re hearing about other clubs doing deals it drives you mad.

    0
  • croftus5678

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:11 PM

    Comment #4

    perez / gomis/siem/cabella/colback will be a good stating point for us then i’d take ba on loan with a view to perm.

    0
  • scout

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:15 PM

    Comment #5

    Can’t replace Remy because we never had the lad in the first place, maybe another loan for a top player? I wouldn’t mind McCormack tbf as a squad player
    I fear the worst next season strikers should be the priority personally I’d go for Hernandez as some have already stuck up on here and maybe demba

    0
  • toonarmydownsouth

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:17 PM

    Comment #6

    JFA
    Even more frustrating when there’s no plausible reason why we shouldn’t be doing the same!

    0
  • croftus5678

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM

    Comment #7

    @5 scout

    gomis the new bony 😉 i reckon he will do well in the prem with his build but i think we need a real goalscorer just in case he doesnt hit it off (anyone got antoin sibieski’s number ?)

    0
  • toonarmydownsouth

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:18 PM

    Comment #8

    Scout
    Remy was the short term fix for replacing Ba so which ever way you look at it replacing Ba/Remy it doesn’t matter we still need a 20 goal CF

    0
  • toonarmydownsouth

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:19 PM

    Comment #9

    And no for £8 mil he wouldn’t be a squad player

    0
  • scout

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM

    Comment #10

    If we don’t pay the wages we won’t compete in the premiership. Anyone think the wages MA pays really gripes him?
    The season ticket holders pay the money and risk being served up c..p football where MA spends nowt and there’s no risk.
    Even if we went down you’d get 60 million parachute payment. The man who chucked 500 quid at it gets to watch even worse games the season after.
    Hardly fair is it

    0
  • toonarmydownsouth

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:21 PM

    Comment #11

    Croftus
    Just in case?
    Mate him and Cisse were in the top 3 for offsides in the whole of Europe, just because the blokes a lump doesn’t make him a good build for the prem
    There’s a damn good reason that coming up for 29 he’s never played in top class league

    0
  • croftus5678

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:22 PM

    Comment #12

    @8 tads

    i thought goofy was ba’s replacement ?

    tbf i think he could hit 10-15 if played as a striker.

    send arma/campbell out on loan and use rolando this season he’s ready for the prem.

    0
  • scout

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:23 PM

    Comment #13

    tDS

    I guess you’re right mate

    0
  • ToonAndy

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:23 PM

    Comment #14

    Pictures of Ayoze Perez holding shirt and stood with Beasley

    0
  • scout

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:25 PM

    Comment #15

    Where’s the pictures and how’s Beardsley looking

    0
  • croftus5678

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:25 PM

    Comment #16

    @11 tads

    no worries m8 pards will have him playing from cb so he will never be offside again 🙂

    and ye i see what you mean guess we will find out if he signs.

    0
  • Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM

    Comment #17

    If we are getting anyone from Leeds, it has to be Sam Byram.

    0
  • toonarmydownsouth

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:26 PM

    Comment #18

    Croftus
    Goofy was player picked up on the cheap to bolster the squad not a replacement, you don’t play a replacement CF at LM/LWB!

    And he’s never bagged 15 in a season, he’s a decent player but not a great finisher

    0
  • Big Pappa Cissé

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:27 PM

    Comment #19
  • toonarmydownsouth

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:27 PM

    Comment #20

    Scout
    @nufcfans: #NUFC – PHOTOS: first pictures of Newcastle’s new signing Ayoze Perez at St James’ Park http://t.co/1FBh4iXvJQ

    Photos with Beardsley? Poor lad has gone straight into the development squad

    0
  • scout

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:29 PM

    Comment #21

    Thanks for the picture link
    He’s a smooth looking git haha

    0
  • lesh

    Jun 5, 2014 at 10:42 PM

    Comment #22

    Let’s not lose sight of the fact that Mr Massimo Cellino has been subject to concerns about financial matters and I’m confident that our beloved owner will have the measure of him.

    How anyone with a conviction for financial irregularities, spent or not, can pass through the Fit and Proper test for club owners, beats me.

    That comment is general and in no way implies any reference to Massimo Cellino. So there!

    0
  • Sav

    Jun 6, 2014 at 3:01 AM

    Comment #23

    On this occasion, I’m inclined to believe our lot. There’s a first. As for Cabaye wanting Ben Arfa out of Newcastle, there’ll be a queue of clubs up Barrack Road at the minute then, looking to steal him away?

    No doubt Monstaer Mash is relishing ‘doing a Nicollin’.

    0

You must log in to post a comment.