The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Colback – I’m Absolutely Delighted – It’s Really Special For Me

10:24 pm, Monday, June 9th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

Newcastle have confirmed the signing of former Sunderland player Jack Colback, so he now officially becomes the second player signed this summer by Newcastle, joining 20 year-old winger Ayoze Perez, who we signed from Tenerife last week.

Newcastle United Agree to Sign Jack Colback

Geordie Jack Colback – at St. James’ Park today

The rumors over he last few weeks was that he was very keen to join Newcastle and even when West Ham came in with a huge wage offer of £50K/week for Jack, he turned down the London club, and he had already made his mind up – so money isn’t everything for this Geordie lad.

This is some of what was on the Newcastle web-site today:

Newcastle United are pleased to confirm the signing of Killingworth-born Jack Colback.   The former Sunderland midfielder, aged 24, was out of contract at the Stadium of Light at the end of last season and has signed a long-term contract at St. James’ Park.

Colback joined Sunderland when he was ten-years-old and rose through their youth ranks to make his Black Cats debut on the final day of the 2009/10 season against Wolves.

That followed a successful loan season at Ipswich Town, which included playing twice against United, who romped to the Championship title. At the end of that campaign, Colback was named Players’ Player of the Season at Portman Road.

Upon returning to the North-East, he went on to make 115 Barclays Premier League appearances for Sunderland and picked up a runners-up medal in the Wearsiders’ 2014 Capital One Cup final defeat to Manchester City.

And this is what Geordie Jack had to say about joining his home town club:

“I’m absolutely delighted.”  “To come to the team I supported as a boy, my hometown team, will be really special for me.¨

“It was an opportunity I couldn’t let slip. If you asked fans around the world the one thing they’d like to do before they die, it would be to play for the team they support and I’ve got the chance to do that.¨

“I’ve only got good things to say about Sunderland. They gave me my chance and I want to thank the fans and the club for all their support.¨

“I hope they can understand the chance I’ve had here to move to my boyhood club. Now I can’t wait to pull on the black and white shirt at St. James’ Park for the first time.”

The delighted Newcastle manager Alan Pardew had this to say in welcoming the Killingworth-born player to the club:

“I’m extremely pleased to have brought Jack to Newcastle United.¨ “He’s a great passer, versatile and rarely gives the ball away. He’s also a local lad and knows exactly what playing for this Club means.

“And at 24-years-old, his best years are ahead of him so I think he’ll be a big asset to us.”

It’s really great to have Jack Colback at Newcastle, and we wish him all the best in his future career, and all the luck in the world to become a star player for the great club he supported as a boy.

Tags: Jack Colback · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 andyctoon // Jun 9, 2014 at 10:28 PM

all i can say is welcome home..make us proud!

• 2 geordie157 // Jun 9, 2014 at 10:35 PM

What would be great now is just to pi** off the scum a little more. We go and sign Ashley Williams, who for 4-5mill would be a great signing, a no nonsense type and a leader which is exactly what we need!! He maybe nearly 30, but he’s easily got another 3 or 4 yrs at the top

• 3 Graeme // Jun 9, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I worry about the effect our crap coaching standards will have on our new Spaniard and, to a lesser extent, on young Jack.

How much would it cost to get some decent young, up-to-date coaches to take the strain off P45DUE – it can only be a huge benefit to NUFC

• 4 headtheball // Jun 9, 2014 at 11:16 PM

“I’m extremely pleased to have brought Jack to Newcastle United.¨
    Why does P45Due always take credit for anything positive but deny all responsibility for the shambles we have become. Why I?
    I could do with a laugh at the moment. Anybody know any P45due jokes?

HWTL

• 5 banjax // Jun 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM

It’s a shame Sunderland had to be so spiteful about his move to the Toon. From their statement it seems they have disregarded the good things Colback said about Sunderland and instead have basically branded him a traitor for wanting to leave. If there was ever a statement designed to whip up hatred for Colback amongst the moggies – then this has to be it. What a stupid mean spirited act from Sunderland A F C and one that is guaranteed to cause violence on Derby days !

• 6 ganiyu // Jun 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Newcastle United,” said Pardew.
    “He’s a great passer, versatile and rarely gives the ball
    away. He’s also a local lad and knows exactly what
    playing for this club means. I agree with pardew .

• 7 HarriboNo9 // Jun 10, 2014 at 4:04 AM

fantastic signing and will be a future hero for the toon, but players like Jake need bigger players around him also. We need Cabel or grenier in asap and Hernandez would be a 20 goals a season player if he played every game. We need more in the door and fast!

previous post: Insistent Pardew The Reason Magpies Got Perez