The Newcastle United Blog

News and Commentary On Newcastle United Football Club By Ed Harrison, A Proud Exiled Geordie And Lifelong Fan

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!



Big Sending Newcastle Going All Out For Third Signing

8:35 am, Tuesday, June 10th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Newcastle have done well to get Jack Colback to Newcastle, and they were helped by the Geordie lad wanting to play from his home town club, but in all fairness they seemed to have handled the move very well, which cannot be said for Sunderland, who took a cheap shot at their former player yesterday after he left the club.

Bafetimbi Gomis   -5797941

Bafe Gomis – Newcastle offering big wages and signing on fee

The French newspaper L’Equipe are reporting today that Newcastle have offered Bafetimbi Gomis a staggering £2M signing-on fee and wages of around £70K/week to get the free agent to Newcastle, after QPR moved in for him and offered him huge wages recently and tried to hijack the deal – much like they did with Loic Remy a year last January.

Newcastle almost had the striker to Newcastle last summer, but for some reason Joe Kinnear couldn’t get the deal finalized,  and at the time it was supposed to be because his agents were asking for huge fees to close the deal.

But it’s not yet a done deal for the Tyneside club this summer either, and Galatasaray have always been interested in taking Gomis to Turkey, and Fenerbahce are also said to be interested in signing the player.

Newcastle were willing to pay a £9M transfer fee for Gomis last summer, so this deal is still cheaper than that one, and even though his wages would be huge, it could still be a good deal for Newcastle, and we need an experienced striker in the ranks this summer – that’s for sure.

But why Newcastle have left it this late to sign a striker they were interested in since last summer, we don’t know.

It seems it would have been better if we had tried to get the French International signed up earlier in the year, before all these other clubs became interested in  the free agent.

Anyway, there may even be news before the World Cup starts on Thursday, as to whether Newcastle have been successful in making their third signing of the summer.

Let’s hope we are successful in finally getting Gomis to Newcastle – what a transfer sage this one has turned out to be. :(

What do you think?

Comments welcome.



Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target



<


12 responses so far ↓

  • 1 cyprus // Jun 10, 2014 at 8:38 AM

    Taraapt eh? Soooo similar to HBA. This type of game changing amazing player needs a real coach which Harry isn’t and AP is definitely not. SBR would’ve gotten us the PL with these two and the rest :)

  • 2 cyprus // Jun 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM

    These two, along with our top players (you know them) and an in-form CF would spread fear in any defense. Buy Taraapt, fire AP, bring in a CF, game set and match.

  • 3 Jail for Ashley // Jun 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM

    85K a week, was that leaked from Mike Ashley direct.com

  • 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM

    Artful,
    You wouldn’t expect a professional club to put out blatant lies?? Have you listened to some of the rubbish coming out of SJP over the last few years???

    As for Gomis, if he is to be the pinnacle of our striking intent then I worry. He will go to the highest bidders, and if Fenerbahce and QPR are interested (as reported) then I will happily let him go there. The only worry is that if he was our first choice, how bad is number 2? If we really wanted Gomis, and he wanted to join this could have been done anytime in the last 6 months. I think he will be elsewhere.

    As for other business, I am expecting up to 5 incomings, although what quality and whether they are first team or development I have no idea. Pardew did say at the end of the season we had 6 or 7 players coming through who will be ready to make the step up in the next year or 2. Prepping fans for an underwhelming window?

  • 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 10, 2014 at 8:54 AM

    On Taarabt, the only report is in the Mag. Given that anyone can write and send in an article with no actual need for any factual basis, I wouldn’t pay it too much attention.

    He should probably head to somewhere like Portugal if he wants to become the star he thinks he already is.

  • 6 Markaccus // Jun 10, 2014 at 8:56 AM

    Well, have not had much of a chance to comment here for a while, but i am shocked to see that, one month ish into this window, and we have already done better than the last two combined.
    If we end up with Colback, Perez, Gomis, winger, creative mf and a CB, we might just have enough to do well next season.

  • 7 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 10, 2014 at 8:56 AM

    Jail, leaked right about the time of season ticket window extension. What a surprise.

    Just like the leak in January where Ashley gives the go-ahead for 4 signings before the ticket deadline. We signed nobody.

    Ashley out, Pinocchio Pardew out.

  • 8 Jail for Ashley // Jun 10, 2014 at 9:00 AM

    Lil,
    That season we nearly went down it showed the danger of undercooking in the transfer market as did last January, if such a collapse in form can happen to a team that finished fifth gawd knows what can happen to a team that finished second bottom in 2014, with a profit in and around 45/50M this year surely we’re going to spend some of it.

  • 9 Shaker // Jun 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM

    Good SECOND Striker !!
    we need another CLASS Striker / goalscorer
    and a CLASS left winger
    and a CLASS playmaker

  • 10 Shaker // Jun 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM

    and a CLASS central defender

  • 11 GeordieRealist // Jun 10, 2014 at 9:26 AM

    Big sending. £1.8m is not big sending, and nor is it big spending.

  • 12 headtheball // Jun 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM

    And a P45due replacement.
    HWTL




previous post: Newcastle Reported After QPR’s Adel Taarabt

next post: Jack Colback Interview – Video – I’m Delighted