The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Defender Could Be Sent Out On Loan

8:49 am, Wednesday, June 11th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

When Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa was singed by Newcastle eighteen months ago it was through he would be a very good signing, since he was versatile and could player anywhere across the back four, with his preference being center-back.

mapou yanga-mbiwa closeup

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – to be sent out on loan?

But the former Montpellier captain had both good games and some very poor games for Newcastle last season, and he has struggled for consistency on Tyneside.

Maybe he could have been given another season on Tyneside, but it seems manager Alan Pardew has made his mind up and now he is available for transfer with a number of French clubs, including Bordeaux and Marseilles said to be interested.

This is what Bordeaux President Jean Louis Tiraud has said about the player:

“He is an excellent player with one defect, he was bought very expensively by Newcastle and his salary is high.” “The problem with the idea of a loan, is most clubs wait until the 31st August, because they are still trying to sell the player.”

In this situation what generally happens is that the player could be sent out on loan, because at least the allows most of his wages to be paid by another club.

And we may even be able to get a loan fee in addition, but his contract doesn’t run out until the summer of 2018 – so that’s a long four years.

One element of Mapou’s game that was noted fairly early on at Newcastle, was that he was not a good header of the ball, and that was one of his weaknesses, playing in the Premier League.

But Mapou has also played some sterling games for Newcastle too, so maybe it’s a bit premature for Alan Pardew to unload him this summer?

We’d like to see him given another chance, and maybe if he doesn’t make it next season, he could be loaned out in January.

What do you think?

Tags: Loan Moves · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Newcastle News · Premier League

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 SuperShearer // Jun 11, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Seriously what has this guy done to warrant Pardew trying to get rid of him so quickly? He seems to be being forced out faster than the “troubled” Ben Afra.

• 2 Rainrix // Jun 11, 2014 at 8:58 AM

You’ve changed your tune a bit ed. Few weeks ago it was “get rid can’t adapt blah” Now your advocating giving him another season :). Agree with you anyway hard to adapt to a league when you’re out of position one game and then benched after a run of games you played well in. Colo literally had no redeeming features in his first season either.

One thing that bothers me. If the club are so desperate to get rid of MYM and desperate to get cabella why not offer a swap deal? I suppose logic doesn’t apply to newcastle these days

• 3 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Pardewed.

A term meaning disastrously mismanaged. Generally getting good players to underperform and look a lot worse than they actually are, with the odd exception who finds a bit of form despite a clear lack of team understanding.

• 4 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Croftus, Re post
    Lukaku would be the dream one for me, but absolutely no chance of that now. Maybe if we had taken him on loan last year, then he may be keen to link up here again (although given Pardew and the season we had……). Now though, if Everton don’t go back in for him I expect he will head abroad.

I find it incredible that Mourinho is not interested in utilising the closest thing to Drogba I have seen in the Prem.

On Gomis, I didn’t want him last summer, and I still don’t want him. 15 goals a season in the Prem? I think he will struggle to get that. Still, it has got to the point where we are so desperate for a striker that I would have him, purely because at the rate we work who knows what we end up with.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:05 AM

LR32,
    Actually, I think you will find Pardewed has a very different definition…

On topic,
    It is madness to send MYM out on loan/sell him, particularly given the lack of quality in the club, the amount of business that we need to do without further departures and the sheer lack of planning and ability to get business done.

So to summarise, not in the least bit surprised they want to get rid.

• 6 ToonLynx // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Ive been trying to remain positive and get behind the team despite all that has happened over the last few years. But this really takes the piss!

When we signed MYM he was touted as our next captain and how promising a player he is! It is absolutely disgraceful that they are seeking to sell one of our most realistic long term CB we have!
    Williamson had a good season, and Coloccini has been a great player for us! But they are not getting any younger and we should be looking to the future!

We have Remi Street and Lubo Satka who are promising young talent but neither of them are close to being ready to replace Colo or Williamson! We need MYM!

• 7 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Lilongwe, I’ve seen that one before. There’s a lot of negative angles which spawn from the term.

An infestation of evil.

• 8 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Lynx, when he mishandles players they magically look bad.

Tevez’s comment on Pardew’s management:

“I was never given the chances I thought I would be given and I was told to play out of position against my will.

“I had to sacrifice myself for the team which I don’t think helped. I was playing in ways I did not understand well and I lost a lot from my own game.

“It didn’t fit where he put me, but I wanted to help.”

Played out of position, lost parts from his own game. Hadn’t scored. Then look at which clubs he signed for and his performances there. Is it a wonder why people thing some of our players aren’t good enough?
    Judge them when a good manager is in place, not of the basis of their performances with this prat in charge.

• 9 Spoof // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM

If players like Dummett, Cabaye, Remy, Ba and Williamson have been Pardewed then it must be a good thing !!!!!!!!!

• 10 Our Toon // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:20 AM

On the Colback stories it’s quite a surprise to me that this has occurred, I’m inclined to believe the media this time though. Lilongwe was spot on when he said this deal was supposed to have been tied up last week, to the fickle bunch who think the scum placed this story….why has it yet to be refuted by the club or the player?

Why are we blaming Gomis for delaying his decision? The lad is quite within his rights to say let me think about all of the offers I have, remember we were the ones who pussy footed about last summer and bulked at a £2m fee for agents….10 months later and we are willing to pay that fee. We really should have got him to sign a Pre-Contract in January when the club could have negotiated with his agents. It’s very poor planning by us and now the expected has happened and the guy has multiple offers (some from CL teams).

Get a grip ppl we aren’t the NUFC we once were, we are a stepping stone to better things and a club which is very limited as to what we can offer players, we have ZERO ambition for cups and in the league we are happy to keep our heads above water, we would normally have 52k attending games which is great for players but even this is in doubt. So I ask those criticising Gomis…if you had no allegiance to us why would you want to join?

• 11 couchy-spennymoor-mags // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:22 AM

In all honesty mbiwa is a pile of shite. His performance in the 6-0 mauling off Liverpool says it all really. These French players have no fire in their bellies. If we go a goal or two down their heads drop. We need more leaders in the team with fight and spirit and determination. Bye bye yanga

• 12 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Seems more sense to me to loan him out as to get rid of – Because he will become a very good premiership player and would be a pity if playing for someone else.
    BUT – very good on the ball/passing but his defending/decisions need to be improved.
    So needs to be playing to improve and is not getting a game for the TOON then lend him out so gets games under his belt.

• 13 snowdone // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I’m sure the part exchange option with Montpellier has been discussed by our Board. Perhaps Nicollin doesn’t want him back.
    If you really looked at Yanga-Mbiwa playing his deficiencies are glaring : bad postioning, bad decision making and not dominating. His virtues are speed. I believe this is one player who has not been Pardewed.

Whether he goes or stays I’m not fussed, but don’t trot out lame excuses that he is out of position. He’s had plenty of chances.

• 14 anthc // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I’d prefer a loan to a sale tbh. Hes still fairly young and hopefully will come good. I think he’s been thrown all over the place and as above benched when he played well alongside williamson. I think pardews been told to sell before he can splash cash and mapou is probably our biggest asset that pardew thinks we could manage without. I know we have cabaye money and tv money but whats to say ashley will spend it. I don’t mind the odd bargain but at some point we’re gonna have to splash the cash. Im also surprised we haven’t went in for grenier too with him missing the wc an all. One can dream I suppose!

• 15 Transfer Sage // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Mbiwa isn’t great, never been convinced but without a long run in his right position and in a team what ships a lot of goals anyway it is difficult to judge entirely. If prefer better myself.

As for using tevez’s comments to prove pardew a bad manager well that’s pointless. He is a player who refused to come of the bench then went home for 3 months, wouldn’t trust a word that lad says.

• 16 Our Toon // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Couchy Spennymoor

Correct me if I’m wrong here mate but wasn’t Steve Taylor playing that day with MYM and Perch was taken off at HT.

Lets just blame MYM for conceding the 6 goals though because he’s not British (being sarcastic) get off that silly bandwagon and stop drinking to much Brown Ale!!

It’s IRONIC you ask for leaders yet advocate selling the captain of a team that won the French League.

• 17 the truth will out // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:30 AM

another body less

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Charlie,
    I agree, he needs to be playing, but if we are to loan him out with a view to him developing into a player capable of playing centre half in English leagues, should we not be looking at English clubs rather than French? That would make sense to me, although I still don’t see how we can afford to let him go without signing a centre half – which just increases the already large (insurmountable?) workload the board already have.

On a potential exchange for Cabella, I expect Montpellier would have the same problems as Bordeaux, they couldn’t match the wages he is on.

• 19 one Tony Green // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Ha Ha sell before we splah the cash. We are not buying anyone period. Who would want to come. Stop buying overseas players and invest in young British players who respect the strip. Gomis ia a donkey, Cabella is over rated and most of the French players do not give a shit and I include Cabaye who went on strike and sulked the little terd.

• 20 Our Toon // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:34 AM

TS

Mascherano also spoke very highly of percy (NOT) is it coincidence that Mancini got the sack because of the amount of infighting at Citeh. Read pellegrini comments about the different fractions that had been created under his reign.

As for Tevez funny how Curbishley was appointed and then Tevez went on a goalscoring run which saved WH and prompted his move to Man Utd.

This was because he dropped Reo Coker for Mascherano and played Tevez upfront in place of Carlton Cole.

• 21 Our Toon // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Lilongwe

Do you remember how bad Colo was when we signed him, the championship is what made him into a Prem player in my eyes, before that he was useless

• 22 Our Toon // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:37 AM

TS

I would believe a word he says, he called Gary Neville a boot licker haha :)

• 23 beermonkey // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Laurent Robert

ldj had this to say I played a lot of my games in the number ten role, behind the striker, and had to do a lot of defensive work as well,

so we asked a player onloan that we want to see what he can out of position to accommodate a loan player in remy prob that wernt staying,

surely if a players are struggling for form or adapting to a new league you play them in there best position only when they have settled do think maybe I could play out of position

good job pards wernt here when colo and Enrique had bad starts here,

• 24 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Our Toon,
    I do, many people wanted rid of Colo that season saying he was awful (which he was that year). By the same token, people were raving about how good Bassong was that season, and he has now fallen substantially from grace while Colo has emerged as a top centre half for us in the last few years.

OTG,
    British players that respect the shirt, what, like Dyer, Bowyer, Bramble, Jenas…… It makes little difference where a player is from. It is the character of the player. Viera was French, I assume he is also a bottler, a sulk etc.

• 25 70TWO // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Send Mbiwa to Birmingham to get some game time….oh…. possibly under his belt and to learn how to head the ball. Lee Clarkes the man….after a pint.

• 26 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Lilongwe
    Sorry – I mean’t to put in to a Premiership team

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Can we stop going on about Mascherano and West Ham. He didn’t come good once Pardew left as he joined Liverpool in the Jan transfer window, and before that had played 15 games for West Ham.

As for Tevez, he did come alive under Curbs with 7 goals and 6 assists n his 16 games under Curbishley, whereas he got 0 of both in 13 under Pardew.

• 28 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Charlie,
    Fair enough, I’d agree with that, but only on the assumption we also signed a centre half. Not convinced we will manage that as well as all our other requirements, so I’d prefer to keep the boards work to a minimum. Not ideal, I know, but needs must.

• 29 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 11, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Beer, when Campbell came in a couple of times he was playing defensively and out wide. Similar thing with Armstrong. It’s ridiculous really.

Correct players is correct positions.

• 30 Our Toon // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Lilongwe

Yeah I forgot about Bassong that season, it just goes to show that a player needs games in this league in the right position to adapt

You can’t beat that British mentality that some are stupidly calling for on here…Anyone remember the Bowyer and Dyer incident? maybe that’s the kind of fight some want to see

• 31 beermonkey // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Laurent Robert

all players should be expected to move about play out of position at times for the good of the team

I don’t agree with it for youngsters making debuts or very early in the first team and with new players coming into the team and in a new league
    its pointless its adds extra pressure and if it goes wrong it zaps confidence

look at perch mr versatile was woefull first couple of seasons then played as holdin mid started to play well in that position and that confidence spread he turned in better performances, then we flog cheap makes no sense

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Our Toon,
    I’d love us to get some young British players into the team/squad, local is even better. But only if they are good enough. Not because they are British and have ‘passion and fight’. Utter xenophobic nonsense.

• 33 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Transfer, but when Pardew comes out with this:

After hailing Javier Mascherano and Carlos Tevez as “world class players” when they signed, he told friends he “wasn’t sure if they are for us” within days of their full debuts in the 1-0 defeat against Palermo in the UEFA Cup.

He is scapegoating again.

He wasn’t for them i.e. Doesn’t want them is like Hatem, Marveaux, M’Biwa being cast aside in a similar fashion.

His same players at West Ham have since played at Liverpool, Man City Man Utd and Juventus. Somehow I think they are are good enough despite Pardew thinking he knows best.

He prefers the British plodders than technical flair. That is very relevant I think. This is just another example.

• 34 Average_Contents // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Quick get your renewals in there’s only 3 days left lol

Didn’t they say they extended it due to it taking longer to process the paperwork thus implying they had been unindated with renewals?

Below is off the website and basically says they still want the forms so ST must be down! Or is that just me?

Once the renewal deadline has passed any seats that have not been renewed will be released on general sale, so supporters are advised to return their forms as a matter of priority to avoid disappointment. All seat moves will be processed before tickets are released for sale.

• 35 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Lilongwe…I think the answer to that questions lies in the salary department?

• 36 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Glasgow Rangers have just announced they are skint and have issued a new share scheme. wonder if our supreme leader is goig to invest more!!

• 37 martoon // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Hi Guys – just back from my holiday. Well at least we’ve signed two players :) I’m pretty sure the Coleback story is BS – the simple truth is the lad was on his honeymoon and signed as soon as he came back!

• 38 Our Toon // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Lilongwe

I agree mate, I keep hearing this buy British argument because they have heart or fight etc. which is utter rubbish!! Quite frankly I’m sick of hearing it. All players have heart and fight, they are all motivated by other things, its the managers job to tap into that motivation channel.

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Jesper,
    Which questions?

• 40 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jun 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Does anyone have the lowdown on the season ticket situation? A couple of my mates and I decided enough is enough and cancelled as I’m sure many here have. I don’t believe the clubs figures of 6 percent, surely if it was that little they wouldn’t have bothered extending the deadline?

• 41 martoon // Jun 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Geremi’s Prosthetic Leg Fund – I don’t have the figures but for once the club could be telling the truth because don’t forget, like myself, a lot of fans are on the DD scheme. You had to decide whether to renew in January/February and although we had started a slump we were still doing OK then.

• 42 Rotonda heights // Jun 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Spoof

Cabaye, Remy and Ba had already been extremely successful at their other clubs so don’t think pardew can take any credit there. In fact Ba publically rubbished pardews tactics.

As for Dummet and Willo, really?

• 43 Rotonda heights // Jun 11, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Our toon

yeah michael owen had so much heart and fight lol !

• 44 t00ntime // Jun 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM

@spoof Willo had some good games but imo neen average since jan. Dummet is rubbish. I guess they have both improved under pardew but like perch not much to get excited about.
    I think cabaye did get better so I agree.
    Remy was here for a year and got no better or worse.
    Ba for 6months stayed at his level then AP put him on the wing and made him 10x worse only to put him back as a ST the following season and slowy he became back to himself, was then sold.

The fact you use ba as an example tells its own story. We did nothing but try and kill his career it seems.

• 45 musomag // Jun 11, 2014 at 11:59 AM

As annoying as it is selling our better players for big money I can understand, (although not replacing them is criminal) BUT loaning them out to other teams and leaving our squad weaker than it already is makes no sense whatsoever. BS

• 46 Sav // Jun 11, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Sitting on the bench, M”Biwa’s value will plummet. That is why a loan option is a good one. He stays fresh and in the limelight. If he performs very well, we can recall him. If not, he’s there in the shop window. Makes sense.

• 47 stripes1009 // Jun 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I think we should give this guy another season. I remember as l guess a lot of you do, Jaap Stam and Laurent Blanc struggling when they came to the Premier league. He has time on his side!!!

• 48 toonluvva // Jun 11, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Sending MYM out on loan for a season is definitely the way to go IMO.

Hopefully the manager at whatever teams he ends up at will be able to coach him properly and by the time he returns we might have got shot of P45due!

previous post: Newcastle Forced To Wait On Striker Decision