Newcastle Face Tough Competition For Midfield Targets

There was news in France over the last day or two that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is keen on getting French International play-maker Clement Grenier to the Emirates this summer.

clement grenier 123

Clement Grenier – Arsenal interested

Grenier was one of two targets Newcastle went after in January to replace the departed Yohan Cabaye – the other one was Remy Cabella, but surprise surprise – even though we received a hefty £20M for Cabaye we only bid around £8.5M for Grenier and £6.5M for Cabella.

And those bids had both clubs (very) disappointed at what they considered to be  insulting bids for their players – and unfortunately that’s not the first time Newcastle have gone on with a ridiculously low bid hoping that Santa Claus is the Chairman of the other club.

Clement Grenier and Remy Cabella are two very good players, and they would be great at Newcastle, but there are signs that both players are attracting interest from some big clubs this summer, and if that interest is real, we could miss out on both targets.

remy cabella98

Remy Cabella – Montpellier winger

We have already gone back in with a £6.5M offer for Cabella, and not surprisingly that didn’t exactly make the 70 year-old Montpellier Chairman Louis Nicollin very happy – and of course he hates Newcastle to start with – so that certainly didn’t help.

What we ned to see from Newcastle us to  the purse strings when it come sot bidding for our top targets and bid a decent price as a first bid and not some ridiculously low figure – which does us no good at all in our dealings with the selling club.

We could miss out on both summer midfield targets,  because of our miserly approach to getting players to Tyneside – and we need to show more boldness and ambition in our transfer dealings.

So be it.

• jazzyp

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Every day seems to be going further down hill Re incoming transfer’s. I thought and am still hoping that this window was going to be the one where Ashley actually does the decent thing by Nufc and spends money.
    The problem is if big clubs come a calling on players we are linked with then ultimately we will always come second. but it doesn’t look like at the moment we trying to do any business.
    On the other hand all tho free offering Gomis 2 mill signing on fee + 70-80 k a week shows he’s willing to spend

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM

If he was willing to spend we’d have Cabella by now. Simple as that. I’ve just had enough and can’t wait for this hell to be over.

• geordie157

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:21 PM

These are the creative types of player we need, but there must be other options to explore too. Will be interesting to see who we sign, I’m quietly confident we’ll get the cabaye replacement and finally replace ba. But we need to replace Remy, add a quality winger and ideally a no nonsense cb ie Williams. So once again we’ll be short in terms of numbers and quality.

• jazzyp

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Well if this is the level of player we are linked with then god help us

• Average_Contents

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Jazzyp

Seen it and instantly became sad

Luque 2.0

• cestriasteve

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Jazzy, I’ve been harping on about the need for Grenier for ages but if the CL is calling he’s off elsewhere, I would assume we will turn our attention to Siem de Jong, I hope that’s the case but I’ve doubts about his adaption to the pace of the EPL. I’ve a feeling it’s Siem or Cabella. The forward options for the money we will pay has me baffled, I reckon there will be a curve ball on this one right at the death.

Can I also mention my take on season ticket renewal, I fully support everyone who isn’t renewing however what’s your alternative for a fortnightly Saturday, I work so don’t get to many games but when I do nothing beats the craic of a Saturday, the alternative is the wife and shopping or some other bollicks!!

• sweendog

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM

jazzyp .. perotti .. could be a good signing, better than what we have..

• Shaker

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM

neither Cabella or Grenier will come to Newcastle
    the budget will be very low
    the Transfer policy wont change !!

• Average_Contents

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Not toon related

I see mancini has left galatasary after leading them to second and winning the Turkish cup! Wtf is going on there I wonder?

Both parties agreed to terminate his 3y deal….in other words he got fcuked off

• sweendog

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Shaker .. sadly true but it makes you wonder why they are bidding if they’ll never pay the money .. fruitless and frustrating for the fans .. not going to help fat boys popularity

• Average_Contents

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Rakitic has signed for barca from Sevilla

• sweendog

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Average_Contents .. probably because he is a knob 🙂

• sweendog

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Average_Contents .. top top player .. I remember the days we would have been in for players like that .. Asprilla etc ..

• sweendog

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Average_Contents .. wasn’t it mancini that said he made the team that Manuel Pellegrini played to win the league .. what a tool ..

• 70TWO

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:45 PM

There was talk from Pardew et al. that NUFC would be getting players in before the World Cup, as a indication of all the hard work they have been doing prior to the end of the season. Whilst my confidence or spirits have not been raised significantly, signing and attempting to sign out of contract players and youth a player confirm that the club are working towards this criteria. I would then presume that other targets with significant transfer fees will be captured towards the end of the window. However, I will not be holding my breath or speculating about players as past history tells us that it is all more than likely a charade.

If a player is any good and worth more than £12M they will be expecting to move to a CL club, therefore by necessity NUFC will be in the ‘cheaper’ end of the market. Players like Siem dJ would seem ideal with his experience and the position he plays.

• nut meg

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:47 PM

sweendog @ 7
    A good signing,are you sure ???? He’s scored 19 goals with 25 assists in 213 games & he turns 26 next month !! Not IMHO.

• mindshaft

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:48 PM

It doesn’t matter how much money we have in the bank, we will definitely not spend more than 20 million tops in this transfer window and that includes money made from outgoing players – one of Cabella / Grenier and signing on fees for Gomis / Colback plus a couple of million for that Perez lad
    that’ll be four in and Shola, MBiwa, Marvs, Guti, Obertan, HBA out

• sweendog

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM

on the grenier debate .. does anyone think this is true .. Arsenal have Ozil and a plethora of attacking talent .. a move for Grenier would be having him as backup .. I reckon this is his agent as he won’t play the world cup so his move will be decided very soon .. as it won’t go up. I’ve a feeling we are in negotiations.

• sweendog

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:51 PM

nut meg .. not great eh 🙂 but better than what we have.

• sweendog

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:53 PM

70TWO .. good thing about De Jong is he is a leader .. we’re missing someone who can motivate the players on the pitch .. although I think Grenier would be better based on skill

• 70TWO

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I also would expect that with the propensity for the CL clubs to horde players, that NUFC should be looking to fill key positions with loan players. This would fit into the model of ‘Stepping Stone’ club and negate the large transfer fees.

• beermonkey

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:57 PM

siem dejong for the cash can come in do a job with pre season I would think he would hit the ground running
    but we need to bring in cabrella and still grenier because both of them look like they could be the next big profit and all for what we sold cabs for they can also be bought into the team slowly and properly no lobbed in hung out if it goes wrong

I know we have abied but he needs to goto the championship next before we expose him to the first team I am sure he would get a good loan after te stella season he has had

• belgrade fan

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:58 PM

70TWO

AP said that bcs club wants people to re buy tickets for next season. in truth we will have free-loan players. and that will continue as long as 52000 attend every game. this club is PR trick and company for making money for MA

• 70TWO

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM

sweendog

I have very little faith in NUFCs ability to do a equitable deal and therefore we will struggle to grasp any potentially decent and ‘known’ player, particularly with our lack of real ambition to challenge in cup competitions. IMO we are in a bit of a pickle due to previous decisions and it will be more than one transfer window before we have an established team that can challenge in the PL.

• t00ntime

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:05 PM

We wouldnt of had cabella whether MA wanted to spend or not.
    Our bid was accepted, cabella thought he was one his way then injury struck france, Montepellier almost doubled the asking price.
    Guess what would of happend if we had offered the 12mil they wanted to start with? It would of increased when Cabellas call up was almost certain.

Yes we could have signed him in jan, but unless no one in the french squad got injured we wouldnt of been able to get him yet this summer. If no one was injured he would of been here for 6.5/7mil…

• beermonkey

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:07 PM

sweendog

there was an article as to why grenier should not goto arsenal
    and when I read it and see the players that will be infront of him he would be mad to there

ozil ramsey carzorla rosicky and others while the article did say he suits arsenals style and could be a star

for me and for the money arsenal would be better buying remy can play the wide role and through the middle and proven goal scorer in a poor team us and qpr in a good team who knows how many he would score

• 70TWO

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:13 PM

belgrade fan

PR still requires a product that has to be invested in, however the club does seem to be being hollowed out. Or is that successfully managed prudently? Which ever way it is, elite football has changed and the match day fans are the least concern.

• Average_Contents

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:16 PM

T00ntime

I believe if there was a bid put in as claimed by Nicollin, the timeline suggests they rejected the bid before he got called up from the reserve pool of player’s so therefore the bid went in when they knew he was such

• Average_Contents

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Sorry I meant to say

Knew he was only a reservist

Plus haven’t they stated all along even before he got called up as cover they wanted £10m plus

• Average_Contents

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:20 PM

If we wanted him that badly he,would of been here…..simple as

• jazzyp

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Cestriasteve
    I know what ya saying mate about what to do next season. our family has been frequented the Hallowed gates of SJP for over 20 yr. And this is the first time as a family we have spoken about not going to the matches next term.
    I cannot stand how Ashley and his cronies are running us into the ground, And I can fully understand all our top players leaving us if we have no ambition. But I know if I don’t go I will still be live streaming or sat glued to sky sports awaiting every game commentary .
    I boycotted the last home game of the season to show my distain, Am I glad I did it………If im honest with ya mate no i wish I had of gone.
    There is nothing like that feeling match day no matter what anybody say’s. Yes the second half of the season was shocking and the atmosphere was pants. but the first half was good.
    I just wish Ashley would bring the days back were we thought we might actually challenge for something rather than worry about relegation

• Average_Contents

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Sweendog

Those were the days

• Mister Tuff

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM

I know it is still “early days” in respect of the transfer market -but it does seem to me to be shaping up to a “spend as little as possible window” -ie million here,million there plus loanees(some will be short term fixes).
    So Mr “El Gourdo” Tubbs will be pocketing most of the profits. could he be gearing up for a sale -who knows.
    The fastest the Toon haved moved in recent years was to put out a statement denying the availability of a 60 million transfer pot -they were panicked.
    So no spectacular buys -so settle down to poor football next season -obviously poor in this context is in the eyes of the beholder.

• Average_Contents

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Mister Tuff

You mean like the last two windows then 😉

• jazzyp

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Rotherham are facing competition to secure signing of #NUFC right back James Tavernier. Nottingham Forest have made enquiries #NFFC #RUFC
    Another one bites the dust, What will that be 7 gone in a season….more to follow ??

• beermonkey

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:31 PM

jazzy
    Rotherham wanted vuckic as well

• geordie@bergen_norway

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Roberto Mancini parts company with Galatasaray.
    Linked with Southampton and Lazio.

FCB are you watching??

• jazzyp

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Beermonkey
    How ya doing mate !
    As well as Vuckic for 500 k. Personally thought we would have got more than that.
    To me it looks at present we seem to be doing more clearing out than buying in. Hopefully making space for our new arrivals eh !!

• beermonkey

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM

jazzy
    I am good thanks

I thought 500k for both vuckic and trav was cheap but if were smart with sell on and buy back clauses its ok
    there are a few more that need clearing but we need to start clearing the big earners like obatan and marveax
    but I don’t think we will find any1 willing to take them
    think we will end up giving them to a club and subsidising there wages till the end of the contract length they have with us and just take the hit get as much as there wages covered as we can

• toonaus

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Theirs one thing we’re experts on and thats selling players but when it comes to buying them what a joke. Arsenal will get this player same as Benny won’t sign for us he’ll probably sign for QPR who will pay him his wages he demands.

We will just sit in the corner and play the slot machine and hope we win a jackpot aka last minute gem then cash him in to play again

I think you have a gambling problem mister Ashley

ever herd of the term you pay for what you get be a cheap ass and you will get sod all