Make Or Break Season Coming Up For Newcastle Winger

Sammy Ameobi seems to be as injury prone as his brother Shola was, and the 22 year-old again missed huge portions of last season, but he did finally come back into the side in the final few games, and last season the England U21 International played just 12 games with one goal against Morecambe in the Capital One Cup.

sammy ameobi braga

Sammy Ameobi – big season for Sammy – make or break?

A number of our younger players will be sold this summer and they include James Tavernier, Haris Vuckic, Romain Amalfitano, Shane Ferguson and possibly Mehdi Abeid – and Conor Newton has already left and signed on at Rotherham.

Sammy is well aware that next season is huge for his career as a Newcastle player, as his current contract runs out next summer, and he had this to say today on the Newcastle web-site:

“Next season’s the big one for me – it’s my opportunity,” “I’ve got one year left on my contract and I’ve got to prove I’m good enough to be a Newcastle player,  so I’m going to be working very hard over the summer to hopefully start fast next season.”

“I have to get back to that place.” “I was fit and I was enjoying playing at that time.” “It was just a shame about the injury. Hopefully working over the summer will help to prevent injury and I’ll be able to show what I can do.¨

“I’m not a kid anymore – I’m a grown man – so I fully expect that I’ll be treated that way.¨ “I’m going to put in the effort and if I’m not good enough, I’ll have to move on.¨

“But I believe I have the opportunity to play here so I aim to take it.”

Those are good words from Sammy – and he certainly knows the score at Newcastle – in terms of him having to prove he’s good enough to stay at Newcastle.

Newcastle need to have some young players come through the ranks and become first team regulars, and it looks like Sammy has a decent chance of doing that – maybe next season.

But with Newcastle becoming a little ruthless with some of their once  promising young players this summer, if Sammy doesn’t come through next season, he could well be at some other club in September of next year.

We would love for Sammy to have a great season for Newcastle and be offered a new deal by the club before this time next year.

What do you think?

• ilovetoon8788

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM

he can move on with his brother.

he’ll be a cracking signing for rotherham. bye.

• Our Toon

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Low Fell Mag

Yes you are entitled to go to games mate and I’m happy that you believe your supporting the team by doing so, ask yourself this:

– Where is the money going that’s generated by the club? this club can’t function on support alone it needs money!!

Any player will tell you they’d rather play in front of no crowd rather than a hostile one, so protesting at the game doesn’t help the team it impacts on the players in a negative way.

Booing every-time pards comes out has a negative effect on the players so doesn’t support the team.

You keep going mate and feed the CANCER that KILLING our club, keep showing

• Our Toon

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Martoon & Jazzyp

Do you think booing at pards during a game has a positive effect on the team? The walk out had its uses but it probably would have spoken more if 20k decided sod this I’m not going. A hostile crowd at home shows the media that we are unhappy but also makes the players nervous and gives the opposition more belief

There is no right and no wrong to this debate, as I stated earlier I don’t blame those who are tied into deals that would be unfair…I did however bash the fans that take up new season tickets to replace those vacating there seats!!

• Toon-Prodigy

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:52 PM

To all the people hating on Pardew, whats gona be the crack this time next season when we once again finish in the top ten with very little progression in squad depth?

• Mister Tuff

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Re -writing history again. A hostile crowd makes the players nervous and gives belief to the opposition. Re -writing the facts to suite an argument.
    After they walk out game there were a couple of players who said the noise did not effect them -I did a post about it. Can’t remember now both -but one was Anita who said :-
    However, Anita says the players simply focused on the job at hand, and feels the noise may have affected Cardiff more than the Magpies.
    He told the Gazette: “The atmosphere wasn’t difficult for us, because we knew what we needed to do and just focused on that.
    “I think the opposition was scared as well by all the noise, so it was OK for us.”

Please get the facts right.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Yeah do the bare minimum to secure a contract like your brother. Don’t do any more than that mind. Your mother won’t be happy.

• Markaccus

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I think, putting everything aside, even football, i think it is arrogant and unpleasant for anyone to put someone down for simply chosing there own form of support/displeasure on any given subject.

• martoon

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Our Toon @2 – I agree that booing Pardew has a negative effect which is why I don’t do it. I think the crux of the argument is live and let live. If you believe that giving up your ST and boycotting matches sends a message then fair enough. However if you believe you can continue to attend matches and support the team not the regime then that is also fair enough and you should not be castigated for it.
    Just because you attend matches does NOT mean you are a Pardew lover or an Ashley supporter – you just want to support NUFC and watch a game of football.

• Go toon gooooo

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:05 PM

This player with his physique simply can’t be a winger.He can be good center back,good striker,good defensive midfielder or good basketball playmaker.Good winger no way.He possess a lot of guilt about Newcastle losing streak also,among other out-of-place played Parde players.Rare football physique but for winger absolutely NO.

• jimmysmith

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Sammy is a unique talent. He has remarkable ball skills for a big guy, and pace when he hits his stride. He also is going to grow into what might be a fairly imposing physique in two or three years time. I agree he hasn’t shown nearly enough to be considered a genuine first team player as yet, but he along with Abeid, Bigi and perhaps Good, look a realistic chance of stepping up. I have never seen that before at the Toon, young players almostwithout exception haven’t had what it takes to make it at Newcastle, yet I think we might get one or two out of that group and by all accounts their are perhaps one or two others of real quality coming through behind them as well.

• catchy in norway

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:13 PM

for the record

anyone who still goes to the matches has no right to complain, it would be like complaining about ukip getting into power ahead of labour, making your mouth go about how much poorer you are, then saying that’s why I don’t vote,,

history is telling you it is going to be a poor season

• Blackley and Brownlie

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Nothing wrong with booing pardew. Bring it on. How else do we get rid of Mikey’s man? If we can’t do that, what can we do? Pardew baiting: it’s great sport too.

• Toon-Prodigy

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Catchy,

Where do you think we may finish next season under this regime

• martoon

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM

catchy @11 – Sorry but I completely disagree because as paying customers we above all others are entitled to complain.

• welshgeordie9

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:45 PM

you have just got to love the happy campers on this blog

Dear me

• welshgeordie9

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:47 PM

You never know Ashley might for once in his life might shock us all

Pretty much doubt it but you never know

• Wayayman

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Go toon gooooo @9, why do you think that? Sammy’s physique isn’t unlike Ronaldo’s at a similar age. Ronaldo is 6’2 and Sammy has similar skills although he’s not as fast (but few are!)

I’m not comparing them, but I do think Sammy could be a fantastic asset for us this season if he can get a run of games and if idiots stop comparing him to his brother.

• catchy in norway

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:56 PM

toon P

under this regime is kind of miss leading,

like I have said , we have 2 cancers,

the playing side , IS good enough to finish top 10 EASY, just not under paerdew, I think bottom 5”

the other cancer is MA, he is just a drain on the club.

• Our Toon

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Mr Tuff

Whose rewriting history mate? funny how 2 goals came after the walkout and when the most displeased fans had walked out!!

Not every player will agree but 90% / 95% would think a hostile home crowd will have a negative effect on the home team and create extra pressure. You’ve given 1 example, I can give you multiple ones spanning back multiple years. I suggest you do your research my friend!!

• catchy in norway

Jun 12, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Martoon

why would you pay to get into a car you know is going to crash then complain that it crashed ???

the mind boggles

for me, this season, when you pay for your tickets, its like signing a waver to all your rights, as we have been warned from the last 2 seasons..

just clap and watch us crash

• Our Toon

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Martoon

Its impossible to support the team and not the regime mate, I understand where you are coming from but this notion of support the team not the regime but it just can’t work. Any supporter that attends does support the regime because you fund regime, all MA wants is bums on seats.

A) Buying a ticket
    B) Buying HT pies & pints
    C) Buying club merchandise

All monies goes to MA and indirectly supports the regime even though you hate the regime. As I’m writing this I’m uncertain if it makes sense but it makes sense in my head!! We have seen the limited investment that goes into the club and this debt isnt coming down so it must go into FATMANS POCKET

• Toon-Prodigy

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Catchy,

There is no misleading, because it filters down from the decisions above, it’s apparant. There is no misleading or guessing that this transfer poilicy hurts us. It does.

It hurts Pardew, he is just willing to put up with it. Why not? It’s a good job, pay is OK.

NUFC is going to finish mid-table once again and there wont be a cry apart from why we cannot push on?

That is Ashleys problem to foresee x

• Mister Tuff

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Our Toon – don’t shoot the messenger because you disagree and again you need to obtain facts no your interpretation of the facts are.
    After the walkout at the Cardiff game -the booing of Percy continued.
    As you suggest two goals were scored after the walkout – so far from affecting the team it obviously did not – thus shredding the argument of fwightening the players.
    can you please explain your basis that 90-95% of players would think a hostile crowd would have a negative impact. Just a link to the poll or evidence will do nicely thank you. Please do not tell me you’ve just made these percentages up -we need facts -from good research. Know your club!

• martoon

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:19 PM

catchy @20 – That makes no sense what so ever. To continue your analogy you can’t complain to a garage about a car if you haven’t bought one in the first place.
    Our Toon @21 – As far as I am concerned my ST money goes towards staff wages and general running of the club and not into Ashley’s back pocket.There have been many accountants on here who have looked at the books and confirmed this. Yes I know he gets free advertising but I consider this a necessary evil of his interest free loan.

• snowdone

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM

With the hateful comments of people like Our Toon and Catchy no wonder this blog has gone downhill. Everyone has the right to go to the game and continue supporting their team, even if the most depressing of circumstances. By your logic no one would go to see Luton Town because of bad management.
    It’s in the blood, guys. People pay their money to indulge their passion. Sure at the moment they’re not getting much return, but that’s their choice.
    What a narrow life some of you must lead – constant repetition of the same old guff!

• Our Toon

Jun 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Snowdone

Hateful comments such as? What have i said that’s hateful?

• Our Toon

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Mister Tuff

What did Sam Allerdyce say about booing of home fans earlier this season?

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t a certain Mr Rooney take offence at booing “nice to hear your own fans booing” he said sarcastically, if I remember correctly.

Sports Psychology Experts will back up my claims check out Dr Patrick Cohn who used to be an athlete and is now one of the most respected in his field of psychology, he made comments on booing “I do think booing affects a player’s psychology,” said Dr. Patrick Cohn, mental health coach at Peak Performance Sports. “It’s a distraction for the players, who now are focusing on the crowd instead of their performance. And, athletes are entertainers, so that means they are not entertaining their fans.”

Herm Edwards, who coached in the NFL from 2001 to 2008 and now is a broadcaster for ESPN, has an interesting notion on booing. He thinks it actually helps the opposing team.

“When you boo someone, especially the home team, the other team is thinking, ‘We’ve gotten in their heads,'” Edwards said. “That is now their motivation.”

Dr. Cohn agrees.

“Is it the best way to lift your team? No! There is no way that it is a motivating factor. I don’t see a coach calling a different play or the players working any harder,” Cohn said. “It’s really only an expression of frustration.”

• Our Toon

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Different sport but its about athletes at the peak of there game

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Senor Tuff my good friend…I don’t know if you can call this proof or just opinion, but here is a link:

A direct quote “Evidence shows that playing at home generally offers an advantage to a team although home players are often more anxiety prone and this can affect game performance. A hostile crowd atmosphere can lead to teams making mistakes.”

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I do think the crowd is very important and have a significant role whether they show up or decide to stay away! Just my take on the situation!

• Belfast

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM

I wouldn’t give a shit tbh, for 50 grand a week, I would take being booed forever lol

• the truth will out

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM

god help us the eternal optimist or is optometrist welshie

• Belfast

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Fabregas of to Chelsea then

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Would I prefer one showed up and boo or people simply stayed away I would recommend the later!

…would I ask people to do so! no! …only if asked 😉

• jazzyp

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Interesting how we have gone from a mass walk out and the crowd showing there distain towards the Hierarchy, To it not being helpful for the players to suit an Argument.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Belfast…you would do it for a Big Mac!

• Belfast

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Jesper I’d be your bitch for 50 grand a week..

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Evening jazzyp mate…how are you doing? Looking forward to the game tonight?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Belfast…I thought you already were 😉 lol

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jun 12, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Fab going to Chelsea you say. For how much?