The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Revealing Talk – Spurs vs Newcastle – With London Taxi Driver

9:03 am, Monday, June 30th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 154 Comments

My wife Madeline and I took a taxi from our hotel to Liverpool St. station on Friday morning,  ready to get the train to Ipswich to visit one of my wife’s sisters.

london taxi cab

We’re in the back seat – can you see us?

And would you believe it, but the taxi driver was a Tottenham supporter, so we began a 40 minute conversation about Tottenham and Newcastle and how they are doing thee days.

The taxi driver was upset that Spurs Chairman Daniel Levy was treating the club as a business (sound familiar?),  and that he was concentrating far too much on balancing the books, and he didn’t think football clubs should be managed as pure businesses.

But I pointed out that at least Tottenham are willing to pay out big fees for their players, even though last summer some of their transfer dealings proved to be poor acquisitions.

That’s simply not true at Newcastle, and we will not pay out big fees for any player – we’d probably bid £25M for Lionel Messi – well that’s an exaggeration – maybe £30M?

He also agreed that Levy is very like Freddie Shepherd at Newcastle when he was Chairman, and he’s changing his managers far too much – and there’s no real stability or consistency at the London club with switching managers all the time.

That’s a contrast to Newcastle, who now do have stability and consistency but it’s in the middle of the table and nobody these days can ever accuse Newcastle of bring an ambitious club, whereas Tottenham are still pressing for a top four place.

It may be a pipe-dream – but at least the are still dreaming.

Newcastle are not dreaming – they are only sleeping.

:D

And I pointed out that in September of 2008, Spurs came to play us in the League Cup and they were rock bottom of the Premier League, and that was a couple of weeks before they sacked their manager Juande Ramos, and brought in Harry Redknapp – and in a couple of years they they were in the Champions League.

And that was only nine months after Harry had accepted the job at Newcastle United and then changed his mind after going out to dinner on a Friday night with his wife  Sandra.

Since October 2008 Spurs have done very well, and last season they finished 6th top on 69 points – 20 points and four places higher than Newcastle.

So when he dropped us off at Liverpool St station he was a much happier Spurs supporter, after comparing the two clubs over the last six years.

And then I got on the train and thought of what I had just told the taxi driver – and how utterly convincing I was with the argument that Spurs were doing so much better than Newcastle – and  I went into a deep depression.

:D

I wish he would have argued with me a little bit more, and told me I was totally wrong about Newcastle, and that we are still a great club.

But he didn’t.

Have you noticed how the truth really hurts sometimes?

Maybe I shouldn’t have given him such a big tip.

Tags: European Champions League · European Competition · Financials · Newcastle News

154 responses so far ↓

• 1 Markaccus // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Oink oink flap flap

• 2 Markaccus // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Expat

I agree, and no doubt most of everyone else here agrees too, that we are in trouble now. No question. However, i doubt that Odius Bellyus Maximus thinks that way :D

• 3 martoon // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:14 AM

If I was a Spurs supporter I would be upset the way they wasted the Bale money but overall I would be satisfied with the progress they are making pushing to be a top 4 team and just employed a decent manager.
    Unfortunately I’m an NUFC supporter pushing to be a midtable team with an average manager!

• 4 nut meg // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:14 AM

REPOST
    It’s been reported a few times that his wage demands were for 3m euro a year which is about 45k a week.It’s also been reported a few times that he’s already walked out of a meeting with NUFC because they wouldn’t meet his demands.If that’s all true then I think 45k is quite cheap for a player your prepared to pay 7m + for. IMO, NUFC want blood every time or it’s a no go.

• 5 Ben3arfa // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Levy is inept but I would have him over Mike “Tight a$$” Ashley any day.

• 6 Markaccus // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:19 AM

nut meg

It’s almost as if we want to under offer every players wage demands, even if the requested wage is LESS than we offered someone else in the same position. It’s like a form of OCD

JUST OFFER THE WAGES YOU FAT B*STARD!

• 7 Markaccus // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Morning Martoon

Yep, i wouldn’t mind NUFC being run as it is, if we were also trying to finish at LEAST top 6.

• 8 sweendog // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:22 AM

yep sad but very true .. we’re run like the smallest club in the premier league .. not like only of the biggest clubs in terms of stadium, support, revenue etc in Europe ..

• 9 martoon // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I think most of us are realistic to know we won’t be buying £30m players but surely we can afford at least a couple of £10m players? I’m normally quite optimistic but feel if we don’t move soon in the transfer market we are in serious sh*t!

• 10 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Well Ed if your reports have some truth in then for the first time this window could be looking positive
    Lacazzete Lassoga and Cabella/Grenier/SDJ would massively massively improve this club phenomenally
    Also if true about Valbuena being pushed out the door by OM then could also be a fantastic opportunity

• 11 stuart no9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:53 AM

looking back over the pardew interview earlier, one of the issues i have with him is that he looks at supporters of this club as total idiots and expects us to believeevery thing hs says . Pardews theory is , if you keep saying the same things over and over again people will start believing you . dummies yes alan but not someone with half brain. ‘ we cant compete he keeps telling us’ , firstly . ashley is the 24th richest man in england , of course we can compete specialty when he has 52000 customers every week , also he says top 4 clubs have their european money to go and buy who they want with, thts the trick alan , get into europe = more money = better players , however if Ashley dosnt want europe , then stop spouting the rubbish over and over again regarding affordability. you coud have it , you dont want it .

• 12 Ancientcoptic // Jun 30, 2014 at 9:59 AM

“The taxi driver was upset that Spurs Chairman Daniel Levy was treating the club as a business.

Tottenham fans are spoiled. (Not all of course, but some)

What we would not give to have our club run with a morsel of the ambition that Tottenham has. Tottenham not being in the champions league is certainly been nothing to do with lack of ambition coming from Levy.

• 13 cestriasteve // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Blofal,

I agree with you on Lacazette, quality and a great temperament.

Who do you want as the attacking midfield option?

• 14 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Stuart, good post. Right on.

Ed, pricey taxi fare that for 40mins.

• 15 the truth will out // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:11 AM

do it on the tube

• 16 the truth will out // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM

no-one talks to you on there

• 17 martoon // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:13 AM

This article I read yesterday is quite balanced – I just hope it’s true, especially about Cabella!

• 18 jazzyp // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Swansea open negotiations with dmitri payet . Boy are they gonna have some attacking line up next season

• 19 yo-yo // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:19 AM

The biggest problem with a regime and manager who keep telling us we can’t compete , whether financially or on the pitch, is that they have a losers mindset.

• 20 Average_Contents // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Yo-yo

Spot on but what makes it even more incredulous is that fatty isn’t like that in any other of his “businesses” as proved by the gambles he acquires through SD and the fact that he built it up from scratch on his own!

Trust us to find an owner who is one of the most successful businessmen in the country but when it comes to us he couldn’t give two flying fcuks apart from when relegation looms large then he acts!

Fcuking fat leech

• 21 Laurent Robert 32 // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:33 AM

This player or that player… Pardew is still in charge so what kind of ambition is that? After signing 5 players the other January he still nearly gets us relegated and we’ve had the worst sets of results and performances in the history of the club.

Unacceptable.

Simply keeping Pinocchio in charge is enough to show what kind of ambition Ashley has. Treading water ambition whilst he plumps up the advertising exposure. Sickening.

• 22 expatmag // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Yoyo

Never a truer word has been written.

Negativity from the top downwards is soul destroying our club and it is going to take one hell of a turnaround to decelerate the rapid drop.

I am afraid it is too late as far as I am concerned

• 23 cestriasteve // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Martoon, that’s a great article.

On Cabella, I just have a real nagging doubt, sure he has the skill but I feel he’s a bit of a light weight. Hope I’m wrong.

• 24 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I would take Daniel Levy any day!

• 25 martoon // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:40 AM

cestriasteve @23 – Yeah it’s good but I hope it is not being too optimistic. On Cabella, to be honest, I don’t know enough about him but others on here seem to rate him.

• 26 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:44 AM

jesperfuglsang @ 24

‘..I would take Daniel Levy any day!’

Spurs fans would give you Daniel Levy any day !

• 27 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Slank…then send him this way!

…I couldn’t care less what any Spur fans think ;)

• 28 the truth will out // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:48 AM

spot on laurent
    clueless ambitionless
    dinosaur cretins it boils my waters

• 29 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I see Paul Lambert of Villa has been given all of £10M to spend on transfers.

I bet he won’t be buying English players any time soon!

• 30 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Jesper

They probably think likewise about Newcastle

• 31 cestriasteve // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

There’s only one good thing about Tottenham and that’s hotspur…. Geordie legend and hard as fcuk

• 32 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 10:58 AM

31cestriasteve

That would be Harry with the lisp who got his comeuppance at the Battle of Shrewsbury.

• 33 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Slank…they probably do :)

• 34 cestriasteve // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM

SLANK,

Stitched up at the battle of Shrewsbury!!

Kicked a few Jocks back up the M74 with a few of his mates, we should play Carlisle in every pre season in memory of the great man.

• 35 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:06 AM

34cestriasteve

If the Jockanese vote for independence we will need more like Harry Hotspur to patrol the new border to keep the migrants out fleeing the peoples republic of Jockland.

• 36 cestriasteve // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:10 AM

SLANK,

If they get Independence I’m tracking down the ancestors of George van Mildert and declaring an independent state for the land of the prince bishops, we’ve got more going for us than those deep fried mars bar munching carrot faced thistle arsed skirt wearers.

• 37 Blaydon-Toon // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Ed come and have a pint with me I’m in Ipswich ! Not posted for a while as reading newcastle linked to x y z for £££ just gets me depressed some good news and a Stella signing is the order of the day !

• 38 yo-yo // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:12 AM

The ‘qualifed’ winner mindset is to acknowledge where we are and set realistic goals. So we CAN win a cup tournament with commitment and organisation, we CAN aim to qualify for European competition with the resources we have already got.

I don’t GAF if it isn’t profitable to win the FA Cup or be a semi finalist in the Europa. It shows ambition and true price of ambition is commitment and belief. Overcome the obstacles.

Its not rocket science but people who say can’t – don’t.

• 39 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:14 AM

36cestriasteve

If my memory serves me right the Prince Bishops (of Durham) held much of the land along the coast of Northumberland.

If the Jockanese vote Yes there should be lots of new jobs on Tyneside and Northumberland.

• 40 cestriasteve // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:20 AM

SLANK,

The absolute first thing we should do if they get independence apart from signing every brickie in toon up for a wall re build is ban the feeckers from the beehive in the bigg market, cheeky feeckers think it’s a good laugh to encampment there every weekend, ban them immediately, put a sigh up ” Yee of a carrot disposition and poor dentistry are not permitted on these premises”

• 41 martoon // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Good to see a change of direction on the Blog. We’ve moved from Pardew bashing to Scot bashing :)

• 42 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM

36cestriasteve

Absolutely.

Those brickies are going to be working flat out 24/7 as all the castles will need fixing up once they have rebuilt the wall!

• 43 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM

41martoon

Scot bashing is an ancient custom in Northumberland sadly lapsed but soon to be reinstated on a Yes vote.

• 44 cestriasteve // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Martoon,

I urge every Geordie to take up arms against them, welcome the trident missile into the port of Hartlepool and ban the sport of tennis everywhere.

• 45 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:33 AM

44cestriasteve

Did you mean fire the trident missile at Hartlepool as I would think Middlesborough a more appropriate target?

• 46 lew // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Don’t you think there’s a tiny chance that some signings will be annonounced when the window opens?

All fingers and toes crossed!

• 47 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Well that’s it for me for the moment.

I’m off to the Career Centre to see if they have any Geordie brickies with martial art experience.

• 48 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM

If a bet is 3/1 does it mean if you bet £1 you get £3 back?

• 49 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:05 PM

…or is it the other way around?

• 50 Belfast // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM

You get 3 pound back Jesper, plus your pound that you bet.

• 51 expatmag // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM

We should get John Snow from Game of Thrones. Wasnt he in charge of the wall and kicking thw wildings arse?

• 52 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Belfast…thanks mate! I thought that was how it was :)

• 53 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Well France v Nigeria tonight. Not sure who I want to win -France because of Toon players or Nigeria because of Shola.
    I think I might err on the side of Nigeria – that would obviously mean the end of the WC for France and our players – Debuchy in particular.
    This should speed up the sale of him to PSG or Arsenal or whoever. Thus we get the funds for this summers tranfers so 10 -12 million would equate to 2/3 bargain basement types.
    Anyone who thought Percys’ spoutings about waiting for the WC to finish to get our signings was because we were going to sign WC players – have been perhaps misled.

• 54 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Senor Tuff…that’s an easy on mate;

…Go France ;)

• 55 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Jesper – you might be right – France might just be too strong for Nigeria. They do have a very decent squad.

• 56 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Senor Tuff…they seem to have found the right balance this time…

…and Big Fat Mike would just love for France to go as far as possible ;) lol

• 57 martoon // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Jesper @48 – If it was the other way around i.e. 1 : 3 it is aalso known as 3 : 1 on. In this case you would win £0.33 plus your orignal £1 stake

• 58 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM

…but I suppose anything can happen!

• 59 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Martoon…I like the other way better

• 60 beermonkey // Jun 30, 2014 at 12:53 PM

mister tuff

france to win but would like to see old strolla score

will france stick with sagna or go back with debs
    where and will sissoko play I would think cabs will be back in the middle, its seems its either been sissoko or pogba

• 61 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:00 PM

And I am not from Newcastle so I don’t hold any allegiance to Strolla!

• 62 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM

beermonkey – that would probably be a decent result France to win but Shola to score.
    Not sure who is or is not available for France -re yellow cards???.
    Cabs is available – he has not excelled YET -I expect him to. Impressed with Pogba – very good energetic player – downside is he appear to have an angry/aggressive streak -so always a booking waiting to happen.
    Valbeuna -as well -did not know much about him before the WC – but he is a god player (even though he is a short arse).
    Benzema has not YET lived up to all the hype about him -if he clicks – gaurenteed victory for Les Bleus.

• 63 Novocastrian66 // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Jesper; I’m form Newcastle and I have no allegiance to Showboat either.

• 64 martoon // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Actually although we berate our squad it is quite impressive having 4 players (past & present) involved in tonight’s match. How many players in the WC have the mackems had? – I can only think of Gyan for Ghana.

• 65 stuart no9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM

mister tuff —— draw after 90, then draw after extra time , then nigeria to win on penalties- strolla getting the winning penalty ???

• 66 beermonkey // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM

mister tuff

for france they play cab a little to deep to get the best out of him but they seem to be lacking in that dept
    pogba looks good but nowhere near the 60mill I keep reading he will cost

in the same way we took ricki lambert to the world cup given his age and strolla its great they have gone they wont go again just would be nice to round it of with a goal we didn’t even bother playing lambert dunno y

• 67 martoon // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM

I’ve just remembered Dozy Altidore but he pulled a muscle running for the ball!

• 68 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM

stuart – if that happened it would be true Roy of the Rovers stuff – downside would be Percy/Tubbs would give hime a years contract.

• 69 lesh // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Average_Contents….

I honestly believe that were Ashley to feel as though he was liked by Toon fans, things’d be much different.

I’m confident he’d be treating the club as a play-thing and doing his best to make it a footballing success with spend being not too much of a problem having appointed a manager who can provide success on the field.

As it is, Ashley knows he’s detested and as a result has no desire to please Newcastle United fans – in fact quite the reverse.

We can all see that he’s doing things that he knows will anger fans and is ensuring that he’s spending as little as possible, enough to protect his investment until such times ad he can have his loan repaid and he can get out, recovering what he paid for us.

Sad, but it’s gonna be interesting what happens with the profits we’ll declare this year. I’m hoping that it either stays in the club as cash in hand or taken off his loan.

A shame but had he not got off on the wrong foot over the Keegan debacle things could have been so so different.

However, that’s water under the bridge now and we can’t turn the clock back, that’s for sure.

:-(

• 70 expatmag // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Tuff

Get back to that decorating. How you can find the time to chat football is beyond me

• 71 JAMSHA // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Get French Football
    @ GFN_France
    1h
    Gazzetta dello Sport: PSG have
    received a €3 million offer for Adrien
    Rabiot from Juventus. Full Story:

cheap….get dis lad

• 72 70TWO // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:47 PM

BOOM!!!

• 73 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:49 PM

When I was watching the Holland game last night one of the commentators revealed that van Haal had let everyone in to watch their training. My God what a fool -this could of easily backfired -opposition knowing tactics/formations.
    To be a success in the PL he needs to change his ways and study the Percy Parsnip Manual of 1980′s Coaching – which states all press and fans to be excluded from training and if finances allow build hoardings around training facilities to deter spies and associated fifth columnists.
    Wake up fool.

• 74 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM

expat – less of the buck. What is this about you wearing items of ladies lingerie -that you confessed to on the blog -specifically your missus’ brassiere (posh word for bra).
    Do you only wear the brassiere or do you prefer to wearing a matching set -with some nice frilly panties (that’s knickers to you).
    You could start giving a weekly report on transgender fashion tips, make up etc.

• 75 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM

oops forgot to add
    Tuff 1 Expat 0

• 76 chuck // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Newcastle vs Spurs ?
    At this time Newcastle are just an adjunct to the Ashley empire SD.
    Used as a free method of advertising the parent company.
    There is no ambition of winning anything, EPL survival, with it,s financial rewards being the only plan.
    Apart from that, it’s run very much like SD, a cut price operation, who’s business plan is “buy cheap, sell for an optimum price.

Whereas Spurs are a side with ambition, willing to spend for success, having recently spent big bucks (following the Bale windfall) and brought in a decent manager in Pochettino, who could be the final piece in the puzzle.

On the other side contrary to some opinions concerning Ashley and the other clowns presently running the club, that theirs both stability and profit, truth is the club is less profitable than in previous times.
    The fans for the most part (those that see the reality of the clubs present situation)
    Where we have signed no one of any importance during the last three windows.
    And don’t intend too, unless they either come cheap or are free agents.
    Where many French clubs, don’t even want to do business with us and should we sign any decent players, you can bet your ass they will be here for a cup of coffee then sold on as soon as we get a decent offer.
    Then there’s our useless manager, who has ruined the carreer’s of a number of players, with his nineteen eighties tactical brand of football.
    It’s the blind leading the blind and there’s no sign of change, in which case which of the two sides have the fans interest at heart, certainly the die hard fans of NUFC have little to hope for as long as Ashley remains as owner, sad but true.

• 77 expatmag // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Tuff

I got the idea when I saw the photos you sent me from your holidays in france. Something was jutting out from under your shirt and it looked suspiciously like a bra covering your well endowed man boobs.

Elena got a bit jealous because hers arent as big so she asked me to try her bra on for size and it fitted my lithe fit upper body.

We both agreed that C must be well disappointed with your flabbiness.

• 78 expatmag // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Tuff

And it is Van Gaal, you numpty

Expat 2 tuff 1

• 79 beermonkey // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:09 PM

lesh

he could sort all this out, as fans we cant extent the olive branch as it were, it has to come from him

ok this the first season where we will make significant monies, all he has to do is let us spend what we earn appoint proper football people

I would take a well run club with an academy working a style of play through out the club, and I would take that over winning a trophy next season because once you have all the right things in place then I am sure the odd trophy will follow
    and what will it cost him, nothing

• 80 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Novo…thanks for sharing that piece of Intel with me!

• 81 expatmag // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Beer

Unfortunately Assley is a self admitted football novice and that has been borne out by his shocking decisionmaking over the past 7 years.

As he appears a stubborn despotic character, we are way past olive branches.

His biggest mistake has been not appointing senior football directors instead of a plethora of lawyers, casino owners and accountants to run a business where they have been clearly out of their depth

• 82 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:19 PM

…not to mention hiring dinosaur managers to execute the football part of the business…

Genius!

• 83 beermonkey // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM

expat

he trusts no1 outside of his inner circle
    and some he thought he could trust were the duo of wise and jimenez those were his trusted football people and they soon stiffed him buying players to line pockets of themselves and agents

can you imagine how much rednapp would have fleeced of him lol

• 84 Ketsbaia9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Really annoyed that we didn’t sign Mauro Zarate. West Ham might be decent next season.

• 85 LGFUAD21 // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:28 PM

I for one like to think that I have been relatively patient with the hierarchy at our club.

I was filled with hope when we brought in Cabaye et al. Decent players with potential at low prices. I was even optimistic 2 seasons ago when Moussa et al arrived.

I’m struggling to keep faith now though.

We are being overtaken by clubs like Swansea and Hull. And MA is devaluing his own brand.

His best bet was to back us a little (not a lot) with some neat additions to the squad. Keep the current players happy with the idea we are progressing and eventually get us into the position Everton and Tottenham are now in. Then he could have focused on developing a top class academy to supplement the club or sell us at a greater price with an agreement in place to recover the debt to him over time.

I have nothing against Charnley. But the coaching set up is so wrong. Our academy should be learning from good foreign coaches that will teach players the tactical and logic driven side of the game. No point in persisting with this English mentality of rewarding players for effort if the ability isnt there.

• 86 expatmag // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Beer

The barrow boy from barking?

That god we never got him. How many clubs has he stuffed up now?

Portsmouth
    Spurs almost
    QPR about to

• 87 LGFUAD21 // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Also. Not amazed by this Lasogga from what I have seen. And at the fee quoted. Would rather spend £15m on Lacazette who for a 23 year old looks great. Would easily develop into a 20 goal a season player and be worth £25m in the future minimum.

He’s also more versatile. Strong enough to lead the line on his own, but good enough at other things to play a supporting role.

Seriously, if you speak to many French people aware with him they would agree that he shows flashes of a young Zidane at times.

Him and Grenier would be a dream come true.

• 88 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:42 PM

expat – poor quality reply and ultra poor explanation of one of your fetishes -the wife asked me to try it on -yeh right. It’s a bit like when the paedo’s are caught by the cops, who discover all their porn on the computer – they snivell “it was for research”. Yeh right.
    Getting back to more serious matters when you were trying on your bra was your vision hampered at all by your gimp mask – if so you could possibly suggest a better make/style of mask.
    Lastly, could you give us your fashion tips on whether you prefer lace type panties or the old style granny knickers with elasticated legs. I suspect you may have more knowledge of the latter.
    Tuff 5 Expat 0

• 89 beermonkey // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:47 PM

expat

yeah he never had total control at spurs
    but I bet he got a slice of the bale pie cos he signed him

he is not all to blame for qpr mark hughs did a proper number on them
    but there not far from being fined by the ffp think they lost 175mill last year but harry is still at it
    already got Ferdinand in and still have players there on huge deals not playing cos there crap

• 90 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Reports now circulating in the press that Debuchy is about to join Arsenal.

• 91 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Beer,
    Bale was signed before ‘Arry. I think he was one of Jol’s last signings. Although I bet Arry would happily take full credit the horrible candle faced bar steward.

Expat,
    You forgot West Ham, Southampton and Bournemouth off the list that he left with financial woes.

Tuff,
    I saw plenty of links for Debuchy and Arsenal earlier, all quoting that we valued him at £9mill but wanted £12mill. An absolute bargain considering what Luke Shaw went for! But I guess doubling your initial cost after a mere 18 months is an opportunity Ashley just couldn’t pass on.

Jamsha,
    Rabiot is quality. If the club had an ounce of sense they would have included him in the Cabaye deal.

• 92 beermonkey // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Lilongwe

I know some spurs fans who still hold jol in high regard I liked him for a foreign manager understood the need to bring in English players and built up a good core there, strange it went wrong at fullham

I am sure old soggy chops will ruin qpr before he leaves

• 93 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:12 PM

If Debuchy goes who replaces him at right back?

Will Santon (assuming he is still here) switch sides and young Haidara take the vacated left back spot?

• 94 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:15 PM

@Slank – Pardew will probably play Dummett at Right back and his clone at left back.

He never plays Haidara!

• 95 Ketsbaia9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Corchia will replace Debuchy or Micah Richards. We need to start signing players otherwise we’ll be finishing around 15th. Selling Abeid is suicidal.

• 96 Belfast // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Not really surprised about Debuchy.

Will be a good signing for Arsenal.

Even more money for us not to spend. Yay !

• 97 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Beer,
    Yeah, it seems odd what happened for Jol at Fulham. Certainly not the norm for him managing clubs. I don’t think he is in the top level of managers, but definitely a decent mid to upper table manager. Probably didn’t help going in with a new, eccentric owner though.

I feel sorry for QPR fans, but I hope they go straight back down again. The fact ‘arry struggled to get them up in the first place, despite the squad he had, doesn’t bode well, and more money of the Fashion and Media guru Rio doesn’t seem sensible…

Slank,
    We have Raylor coming back who is like a new signing… Or maybe Mbabu will surprise people. Or maybe Saylor will fill the role. Maybe Mbiwa will get another chance as permanent right back. Who ever it is, you can bet it won’t be a right back anywhere near Debuchy’s calibre.

• 98 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:23 PM

On Abeid, I’m not sure we have much choice. If the lads mind is set on leaving, which he can’t really be blamed for, then all we can do is get the best possible outcome for us.

We told the lad he was free to find a new club and surplus last summer, so why on earth would he want to come back now?

• 99 hitman // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:32 PM

if dubs is sold how many is that we need to bring in just to make the numbers up..we are fooked.going to stick some money on us going down..

• 100 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

lilongwe – I agree -Mr Tubbs will not be able to resist flogging Debuchy -he’s 29 next month so probably around the peak of his physical strengths. He’s probably got some get out agreement/clause similar to what Cabs had.
    Will be disappointed to seem him go -but really it will be better for him to get to a better club -currently we are a bit of a laughing stock, do not care about the fans and the whole concept of the club is financial success at the expense of footballing success.

• 101 hitman // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:33 PM

if dubs is sold how many players need to come in just to make the nymbers up.we are fked.

• 102 Online Guy // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:48 PM

The knowledge that we are a transient club for players ..where anyone who is any good is sold within 18 months or so is a bad thing for the club as regards progress.

A statement from the club a few years back saying we would sell but reinvest is not what is happening ..any money in just disappears, and its never the same when it comes to buying ..

Our player recruitment is still buy cheap , sell high., .means we are never going to progress or achieve a higher status as a club . as the money is not re-invested in a player at the same level as the sold player .

Its not what was said in the broacher ..a promise of higher achievement through being able to afford top player’s ….It’s not happening. as any decent player is sold .

Stagnation is what’s going on ..Breed’s indifference.

To the people who have not renewed the season ticket’s .Here’s your medals ..well done lads….N’ Lasses ..Your right not to.

• 103 Online Guy // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Im in room 101

• 104 Our Toon // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Debuchy will leave no doubt about it, we have Santon who can play right back and Raylor will be returning so dont expect any further signings for that position. Also we have our new LB in Colback (HOORAY) NOT!!

• 105 Online Guy // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Mister T . got your message t’other day about the big lass ! laughed … funny as … cheers mate.

• 106 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:58 PM

One forget maybe a deal ot price for Abeid was agreed when he went out on loan?

• 107 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 3:58 PM

online – I do not like the sniff that decent players will be off after 18 months. It was normally the case that a club would keep a player from 3-4 years (those with a five year contract)/.
    It clearly looks we are indeed a stepping stone club – I think we’ve all realised that – but only keeping decent players for 18 months to my mind is not good. It will cause further turmoil, constantly “renewed” teams at all the other shenanigans we have recently witnessed at the club surrounding transfers/transfer windows.

• 108 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:00 PM

online – glad you appreciated the humour – the guilty party was expatmag -I did note he offered no subsequent denials.
    Thanks for the reminder score now is:-
    Tuff 6 expat 0

• 109 Ketsbaia9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:01 PM

We’ve rejected a £300k bid. He’s worth at least £8m

• 110 the truth will out // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:01 PM

how much more bullshit will you swallow before you realise

• 111 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:02 PM

£12 million for Debuchy??
    Best RB in Europe worth much more than that but anything to turn a quick profit i suppose

• 112 Slank // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I can definitely see Debuchy being sold. Arsenal have lost Sagna, possibly the best right back in the Premiership to Man City. They will need a very good replacement. Arsenal are in the Champions League and London is the 7th largest city by French population and but a short train ride from his mate in Paris so Debuchy should be very happy.

We have Santon and Raylor who can fill the void with Haidara and Dummitt on the left with Colback and Anita as emergency backups.

Are there any up and coming full backs in the reserves especially now that Tavernia has left?

• 113 Our Toon // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Sagna is a decent RB and will be a bench warmer at Citeh, Zabaleta is hands down the best RB in the league, strange for him to them behind him. Azpilcueta and Ivanovic are ahead of him but more importantly Debuchy is ahead of him…..Even Deschamps thinks so as he’s picked him ahead of Sagna again for today’s game.

• 114 lesh // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Online, the club’s not in a state of stagnation, it’s in terminal decline!

Thank you Dr Ashley, you’re killing your patient by neglect!

• 115 lesh // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Online…..

Maybe you could invite Ashley to join you for coffee in 101?

Then you could lock the door and brick it up when you slip out for the biscuits, the windows having been sealed beforehand?

• 116 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Kets…maybe a fee was agreed upon when he went out on loan?

…if so they have until tomorrow then!

• 117 Average_Contents // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:30 PM

A report in France of Monday suggested the 28-year-old France defender, who is currently on World Cup duty in Brazil, will be heading for the Emirates Stadium this summer having also been linked with Paris St Germain and Monaco.

However, the news came as a surprise to sources at the Tyneside club, who told Press Association Sport the claims were at best premature.

• 118 Average_Contents // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Slank

So you’d be quite content with Santon and raylor at RB if debs is sold? No need to bring in a replacement because of that?

• 119 Our Toon // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Jesper

Apparently no fee was agreed but the lad is in his final year of contract I believe so hence why we are offering him out!!

• 120 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Our Toon…I thought Abeid was contracted until 2015?

• 121 Toon Tang // Jun 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Would love it, LOVE IT if strolla was unleashed from his cage and bagged the winner against the French…

Please strolla, dump them bastards out

• 122 Our Toon // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Jesper

He is contracted until 2015 that’s why he’s in his final year, meaning he is free to talk to clubs in January over a possible move and we would get nothing.

• 123 Online Guy // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:02 PM

NUST members …some news

Update on the sale of land by Newcastle United Holdings Re Strawberry place and metro station area..

There has been a significant change to the sale of the Leasehold on 16th June 2014 ”…an actual change .

The officers at Durham Land registry can only respond if you use the correct names ..hit on a word as to what’s happened and they tell you , they cant give info on what’s happened unless you mention it to them first., so although I mentioned a lot of ideas I did not hit on an operative word ..

The land in question is…Ref: TY344775 ..the last change on that was in 2006, before today’s info was passed to me . So a significant change on the sale has happened on 16th june 2014

You can see what the change is by downloading the application details on DLR website ..for a fee of £10 ..

Newcastle United holdings are still the owners of the Leasehold today ..but something has changed on the afore mentioned date .

• 124 Online Guy // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Lesh at 114 ..sounds like a plan …electric shock treatment for Ashley would be my method though ..would love to see him twitch.

• 125 beermonkey // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM

online guy

whats changed if the fat man still owns it

• 126 welshgeordie9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Debuchy worth 12 million

Watch him get sent off or give away a penalty

• 127 Online Guy // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Beer …

I don’t know ..but its significant ..Its not a new planning detail as that’s council bizz only…an application change has been made by Ashley’s company.. it might have been a search instigated by a proposed buyer …you could try and download the details from DLR..last I heard it was a tenner ! ..might hack the site ..stand by …

• 128 welshgeordie9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM

That was close nice one Debuchy

Ha ha ha

• 129 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Our Toon…I mean that a fee was agreed when he went out on loan last year?

• 130 welshgeordie9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:30 PM

According to metro we have got to sell before we buy, this is starting to wind me up.

As if we are going to get a lot of money by selling Jonas, marveaux and obertan

• 131 beermonkey // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:39 PM

online guy

did you ever speak to Ashley and or his people

• 132 gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club) // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:50 PM

There’s no point us having Debuchy!!!

With Pardew barely letting full backs over the half way line it’s just not his game.

And Kets- Abeid is not “worth” 8m! How could that be his approximate objective value?

• 133 beermonkey // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:53 PM

welsh

why do you believe anything to do with our club and the press

• 134 Thump // Jun 30, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I used to work with a few Spurs fans and they’re actually in a very similar place to us, only a little higher up the table. My argument was always “has your club effectively declined to take part in the European tournaments or cups?” and they tend to shut up.

• 135 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Percy will be watching the France game -pulling his hair out on seeing Debuchy attacking/overlapping so much.
    Good game though both sides matching each other.
    Just lets you see that if all “departments” are decent -defence/midfield/attack – and are doing their respective jobs -you get a much better standard of football.

• 136 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Thump…are you London based?

• 137 lesh // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Hmmm…

‘sources at the Tyneside club, who told Press Association Sport the claims were at best premature.’

So the bustards have obviously been in talks with Arsenal

It beggars belief. Selling’s one thing but selling to another Prem club!

The smell of money and sense just goes out of the window!

• 138 lesh // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Online, if you think electric shock treatment for him you’ll need to link him to a UHV transmission line as anything below 400000kv would barely tickle the insensitive git.

Mind, connect the lines across his temples and….. he might even change!

• 139 jazzyp // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Lesh
    I know what ya saying bud. It never seems as bad if a player leaves for a team abroad. but when we sell to a PL side it seems to bite you in the arse a bit more !!

• 140 Thump // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM

@jesper: Nah, Brighton for the moment. Moving back to Toon in the next month or so though. The thing about London clubs is you’ll find them almost anywhere but London. All the Man U fans live there, you see.

• 141 welshgeordie9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:34 PM

If France lose tonight does that mean we could sign Cabella, Grenier and lazzete in the next couple of days or I’m i way off the mark.

• 142 welshgeordie9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Lacazette

• 143 welshgeordie9 // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Well it dosnt matter now France have just scored

Ha ha ha

• 144 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I hope Deschamps realises Griezzman should be starting over Giroud now .

• 145 Toon Tang // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Wheres Strolla for chuffs sakes, does the Nigeria manager not know what he can do?

• 146 Novocastrian66 // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Has Shola had a runout at the World Cup or has been confined to his best position?

• 147 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:55 PM

If OM seriously want shot of Valbuena then we need to 100% get a bid in

• 148 beermonkey // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:55 PM

thump

did you go for pride and stay for love in btn

• 149 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:58 PM

France is really playing well I think!

Thump…studying?

• 150 hitman // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:58 PM

wonder who will follow dubs out the door,krul or sissoko.its all about the money.

• 151 jazzyp // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Novo
    He came on in the first match mate……..same old same old Shola

• 152 Toon Tang // Jun 30, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Right Algeria, I don’t know you and I don’t care, just do me one favour and mince up the Germs good and proper, that’s all I ask.

Surely one result has to go my way. Just one…

• 153 Online Guy // Jun 30, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Mr’ Tuff ..

its hard being a Newcastle Fan nowadays ..first time in my life I was hoping it would get real bad end of last season ..I’m usually so on the edge of my seat I cant bare to look at times ,,this season just gone I lost some of my passion as I know we are just pissing in he wind.

• 154 Online Guy // Jun 30, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Beer , Iv just got back from an hour almost on the beach ..

Its a long story re : Ashley ..he was ok with the idea and it was well discussed by him in his office down Nottinghamshire/ Mansfield way After my initial call ..I was hoping to get right into him and talk straight off but was told to call again after a short discussion ..I know totally that he give it some thought and relayed to me about the discussions they had so I was not ignored .. I had to call back three times and followed instructions to the letter ,,I treat it all like a bit of fun and thought I would not get anywhere with my questions ..still , It was considered, and the last word from Mike was to submit it all to his Pa at the club, Joy .. I did this but then got the bum’s rush of an email .. I also had some good
    conversations with her ..they run scared of the press so understood why .. I published the emails I received on here .. all good fun .. mind I took some shit of folks on here.. fair play .. I did not take it serious .. I will talk to anyone.

All a bit of devilment on my part truth be told.

previous post: Newcastle Make Big Move For Top Striker Target