Columbian Forward Good Signing For Magpies

With some of Newcastle top targets seeming to be out of reach this summer, the club may have to turn to some of our secondary targets, and one of them seems to be Colombian forward Victor Ibarbo.

victor ibarbo belgium v colombiah-hwerj0zmzx

Victor Ibarbo in Columbia colors  – a skillful forward

Ibarbo is a forward who seems quite versatile, and he can play up front, on the wing or even in central midfield, and he’s looked a decent player in the World Cup finals for Columbia.

He started the first two games, but hasn’t seen any action in the last two games as Columbia advanced to the quarter finals with a good 2-0 win over Uruguay, with goals from James, one of them maybe being the goal of the tournament so far, and he could be the young star of the World Cup.

Ibarbo plays for Cagliari and they will allow their 24-year-old striker/winger leave this summer, and the transfer fee doesn’t seem too bad – at £8M – although maybe that’s a little inflated.

Victor is well-built at 6′ 2¨, and his size and physical prowess could be a (big) plus in the Premier League, and he could be a good signing for the club.

The 24 year-old was born in Tumaco, Colombia and he has 10 full caps for Columbia and one goal, and he started his career at Colombian club Atletico Nacional, before he joined Cagliari in July of 2011 for just under £1M.

While at Cagliari he has played 111 times for the Serie A club with 13 goals and 11 assists, and he has not been a top goalscorer in Italy, and last season he hit four goals with three assists in 30 Serie A games.

Barcelona, Stuttgart, Juventus and Napoli are all reported to be interested in signing him, so if that’s really true, it may be difficult to get the player to St. James’ Park.

But Newcastle will need to ensure we can get players in this summer, and if we cannot get our top targets through the door then we’ll have to move down the list and Victor Ibarbo looks like a very decent player with lots of skill.

A Sportsman evening Rob Lee and Don Goodman will take place on Friday evening, July 11th at Hedworth Hall, so if you would like to attend this exciting event here is the information.

Written from Winchester, England.

• nut meg

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I can see a lot of the kids getting chances this coming season………maybe no choice the way it appears at the minute.

• SuperShearer

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:50 AM

MA’s penny pinching has ceased being a joke. We identify targets then stall on bidding for them in some vague hope their price will drop. NO! Prices rise in a transfer window. If you want players bid NOW…. OR before the end of the season when you claimed you’d identified our summer transfer targets.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:00 AM

It’s funny but if we had a proper manager and coaches we could develop:-

Bigirimana
    Abeid
    Kemen
    Armstrong
    Satka
    Perez
    Campbell
    Haidara

That’s 8 just there. Maybe we should get Southampton’s academy coaches!

• expatmag

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Supershearer

What transfer targets?

As far as I can see, we havent had any targets for 3 windows now. All players mentioned is press speculation.

Assley will continue to asset strip until he sells the club by which time, we will probably be playing Gateshead in league 2

• Spoof

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:04 AM

We are 8/1 to get relegated, I think that is very good odds, if you look at our squad with the assumption that Debuchy and Ben Arfa will be off then all we have is Sissoko and Tiote who we can genuinely say are good players, the rest of what we have are poor or average at best, we are a knocking bet and at 8/1 then I’m on it as I doubt whether Ashley will realise the mess we are in until its too late so the likely hood is that we will not have much more than Sissoko and Tiote, and that will not be enough to save us.

• nut meg

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:21 AM

News in the journal today is that NUFC are about to appoint Ben Dawson in a key role in the academy. This,hopefully is a step in the right direction at long last.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Nut meg,
    Really?? That is good news, he should never have left in the first place, went off to be an FA educator if I remember right. He comes back to join Winskilll and Bramley who are both elite coaches. Now maybe we should look at moving these lads to head up the academy and boot out Richardson and Watson. That would be a cracking move, and one that should have happened a while ago!

• nut meg

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Spoof
    I had a decent bet to finish in the top 10 last season,thought we were nailed on.This coming season,8/1 is looking better & better as each day passes.My heart says no but my head keeps saying YES YES !

• 70TWO

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Rotonda heights

Are they not now ‘ex’ youth coaches? Should be just right for MA, out of contract and no transfer fee.

• Average_Contents

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Nutmeg

Sounds good but he’s been at the club before and it seems to be forced as by us having cat 1 status we are required to have 1 more “A” badged coach

I wonder if parsnip will have any input as to how he wants the kids to play lol, I hope not but as mentioned before on here we should have an ethos as to how we play throughout the club but can you imagine that with parsnip….makes me shudder! We’d need a premiership manager for starters

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Just found the article, talks of him possibly taking charge of the Under 21’s. Would be another decent move. Him there, Bramley and Winskill head up the academy, bring in 5 or 6 new coaches boot out Stone, Richardson and Watson. Shift Beardsley out of the footballing role and bang. We might start to see progress. Bring Gary White in with Paul Clement to Replace Pardew, and Dario Gradi as DoF and we may just start getting somewhere.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM

All of that wouldn’t cost the earth and would improve our set up immeasurably. Oh well, one can dream I guess.

• nut meg

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Lilo
    It’s given me a lift reading it today,It says he could be a contender to manage the under 21 team but I’m not sure how when PB’s head is firmly stuck up the back end of our dear leader………..syrup of figs ???

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Average,
    You make it sound like a bad thing that the club have been forced to improve the coaching set up!! I don’t care why it happens as long as it is improved!

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Nut Meg,
    Beardsley is currently doing his old role and Willie Donachie’s role, so I guess there is room for someone. How much influence he will have could be questioned.

I have to say, getting another top coach in is probably the best news I have heard coming out of the club since………. well since a long time ago.

• Average_Contents

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Lil

There’s talk of the under-18’s or even under-21’s but either way it’s a massive improvement to what we previously had and as you said not before time

The only snag I’d see is these kids getting trained by top class coaches then getting given to the dinosaur to go “what the f**k are you doing? Get it up top as quick as possible at all costs and stop pissin around with it on the floor”

Sorry but I have no faith in this club to do the right thing even when it’s staring them in the face!

• Spoof

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:35 AM

LG

every little helps but with Ashley in charge we will still get nowhere, even if we get 5/6 of the kids to come through they won’t all come through by August 16th and it looks increasingly likely that we will need them by then, I know that the future is important but if the present is totally screwed then it’s all in vain.

• stuart no9

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM

there seems to be 2 or 3 targets every day at the moment , either carr is a very very busy man or the club are lying through their teeth. IT s just not possible we could have so many targets,and losing them all. does pardew really know a lot of these ‘so caled targets ?) or are they names just being plucked out of the air ? love to know where Ed gets his info from , to me , it just dont sound right .

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Average,
    I think it is more a case of Ashley not being able to see what is in front of his face. Improving the coaching set up and development set up would improve the quality of player and as seen by Southampton, brings greater financial returns. I still struggle to grasp how Ashley hasn’t cottoned on to this. Instead of spending £6million to sell a player for £12million he could look at far higher profits from developing them.

I can only assume that Pardew has way too much influence over Ashley’s footballing ideals for Ashley to realise this.

Still, we would have a better chance of getting kids through then currently where they are taken over by old school coaches at 17/18.

• Average_Contents

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I didn’t mean it to sound bad but it shouldn’t have to come to the requirements because of the cat 1 it should of been done anyway but we all know from the top to the bottom, this club is run on the bare minimum and will, well it already has bitten us on the arse!

• JackButler

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Are we actually bidding for any players? Or is it just part of Ashley’s dysfunctional PR system that is trying to get us to believe we are?

This man will push this club to it’s limits in order to spend as little as possible while he takes as much as possible while all along he gambles with our future and it’s a gamble that will see us relegated

• 70TWO

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

I applaud the possible recruitment of Ben Dawson as a very positive move in the right direction. I do feel though a more professional manner in making the appointment would be to interview candidates, however we can not know if this has taken place. Maybe this is what Average Contents is referring to, always selecting from a very small pool? At least in the process of interviewing those guys from Southampton there would also be the opportunity for NUFC to learn from others.

• richyg01

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:44 AM

WHATS THIS B.S ALL ABOUT:

“Apparently Alan Pardew has drawn up a wish list, which includes striker Pierre-Michel Lasogga from Hertha Berlin and Montpellier’s Remy Cabella – but until he can sell his troublesome trio he won’t be able to cut any deals.” source

WE HAVE TO SELL BEFORE WE CAN BUY!?!?!

WHERES THE F’IN MONEY GONE!?!

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Spoof,
    I get what you are saying, but I don’t think that improving the future would ever be in vain. I agree, currently we are looking increasingly hard pushed to do the business required this summer, and that will leave the squad in a worrying position for the Man City visit.

I do think however we could pick up some players who aren’t in the limelight and if we had a good coaching set up then we could still be okay. But we need a team of staff that know how to get the most out of players.

I’m not sure I trust the club to do either, let alone both, but this has at least given me a bit of hope that the coaching side may have been reviewed and improvements being made.

• Average_Contents

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Lil

Tbh honest mate I think it’s the whole lot of them. The’re either to scared to say something or in parsnips and his merry band of first team coaches case simply cannot see it and if they did, are unwilling to change!

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:48 AM

70Two,
    Yes, I agree that a professional manner to recruitment would be of huge benefit. I think this was most highlighted last summer when JFK came in as a DoF. I do not believe for a second that he could have come through any serious recruitment, interview and analysis process.

I’m happy with Dawson, there are only 16 coaches globally with this elite award, and we now have 3 of them. This will be the first one to have a prominent role in the set up, so I take this as a very good thing. But as people point out, with Pardew and Ashley at the helm, it is likely to be a futile gesture. Same as signing some good players 18 months ago only to not use them all correctly.

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Average,
    I think Pardew actually believes half of the rubbish he talks about front foot, attacking passing football. I honestly don’t think he see’s a need for him to change. Ashley puts his trust in people he is close to, and in the football world that appears to be Pards and formerly JFK. He is close with Beardsley by all accounts, so I guess Beardsley has his ear to, but I think he just doesn’t want to rock the boat so wouldn’t say anything.

As for Carver and Stone, they wouldn’t get a job at a Prem club other than here, so why would they rock the boat? Look at Carver’s career other than his spells here. Kids coach, lower leagues and the US. Hardly the CV of someone that a Prem club would look to.

• Average_Contents

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:53 AM

By all accounts parsnips ego is considerably large so I cannot for the life of me see him changing his ways! What I don’t get is, where on earth has this super-sized ego cone from as he’s achieved fcukall in the game as a player or a manager?

I understand that players and managers must believe in themselves and be slightly egotistical but parsnip takes it to a whole new level the cretin

70two

My point was the fact we should of had the coaches in the first place not forced upon us by regulations because of our cat 1 status but as I’ve said the club is run on the bare minimum and always will be whilst fatty is here

Zero hour contracts anyone lol

• 70TWO

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

There is a phrase for effective upward decision making but all I can think of is ‘sh#t runs down’ in the case of Pardew. Anyway hopefully this is the beginning of a brighter future in regards to the development of NUFC players, that is if he accepts!

• croftus5678

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:55 AM

i’m not one for taking rumour for fact as we all know the media hates us and likes a bit of a scandal around us but if we do sell deb’s who is our only but one champs league player imo it will show tey want to weaken the side and rightly do not have any ambition like many fans have said all along !

all our targets are getting taken so makes me think we will not get anyone only the “2 signings a season” ashley has said he wants.

and if thats not bad enough i read we need to get rid of guti/ober/marv “before” we can start recruiting !!! hasnt the greedy fat b^%$£”d got enough money or something ? 80mil+ this season extra he’s got and he’s spent 1.6mil lost x amount of players off the books and still its not good enough for him >.< bloody glad i didnt renew my season ticket.

• Spoof

Jul 1, 2014 at 9:57 AM

LG

why are people so happy about this Ben Dawson, has he not graduated the same way as so many other British coaches who just a few weeks ago we were knocking because the British method is out dated and we needed a complete overhaul of the coaching set up, so why is this bloke going to be so different, I fear you are all clutching at straws.

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Croftus,
    A few on here have said that all this is leading to a sale of the club. The more I see little incoming activity, and especially now if this sell to buy is correct the more I am inclined to think they might be right.

Personally, if he sells Debuchy, HBA Ober, Marv, Guti, Mbiwa etc. takes the TV money and the Cabs money and does one out of the club I will be happy. Provided it happens in the next few weeks so we can rebuild quickly to survive the season.

• Lee Dodd

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Very Worrying… To Many Players have either left or they are packing there lockers and ready to ship out … No One will come to us so what the Hell is Going On ??? Is Fat Boy Selling The Club ? Making the Books look Squeaky clean ??? Or Just another attempt to Piss the fans of again ?? … Relegation season I am Afraid to say Guys !!! And I spend £900 on a season ticket in the Platinum Club… What a Muppet I am !!!

• jonnyshaw85

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:03 AM

sorry but this is from the previous port regarding Debuchy (I’m playing catch-up this morning!!

Prediction:
    – Debuchy gets sold
    – Alan Pardew – “Ryan Taylor will slot right into the right back position, he’s like a new signing”!!!

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Spoof,
    Not all British coaches are bad, in fact many aren’t. If you look at coaches that choose coaching as a profession at the top level then they are often very good. It is more a problem with people at the top clubs appointing ex pros as coaches where the issue really starts.

Also, Britain has roughly 1 qualified coach for every 812 kids playing football. Compare this to places like Spain, Germany, where it is 1:17 and 1:138. Italy, France Belgium and Portugal all also have better ratio’s than Germany.

If you check out more information about some of the coaches on the Elite program you will see that a lot of focus is put on spending tim working with top foreign coaches and clubs.

• Our Toon

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM

This guy doesn’t fill me with confidence, he has looked like one of the worst colombian players at the world cup….they have such a good squad why do we get linked to the worst one though?

Jesper

Abeid didn’t have a clause in his contract to Panathanikos, however because he’s in the final year of his contract we want to offload him for £300k

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Our Toon,
    I read this morning the £300K had been rejected. Panathanaikos are skint, so not sure how they will manage to get him unless Abeid kicks up a fuss and we have no option but to sell him.

On Ibarbo, I thought the same. That goals and assists record looks pretty poor. He has been left out of the last 2 games. I guess we are linked with him because he is the only one that might join us, although not at £8million, a bid of £3million will be our offer.

If he signs for Barcelona I will tie a breeze block to my bollocks.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM

That Neil Winskill led the coaching programme at the council when I did one of my coaching awards back in 2000. Seemed a nice bloke. Glad to see he’s now coaching the under 15’s now.

I remember his disgust at people, coaches or sideline spectators saying ‘get stuck in’. “What does that really mean?”, he said. “It’s giving no tactical advice whatsoever.”

Neil, I think you better sit Alan down and have a talk(shout) with him too.

• richyg01

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:16 AM

CA$HLEY, HARDPOO OUT!!!

• Spoof

Jul 1, 2014 at 10:21 AM

LG@35

and there lies the problem, the ratio’s make it very difficult so how can we really expect this Ben Dawson to make such a big difference, by the time he gets them surely it will be too late, sorry to be so negative but I honestly don’t see the positive as ultimately the same problems will still be there, just different personnel, and I see the structure as being a bigger problem than the personnel.