Siem de Jong – A Great Signing For Newcastle

Newcastle made a real breakthrough in the transfer market yesterday with the signing of Siem de Jong from Ajax, and we had been after Siem for about two years, and the Ajax captain had only one year left on his contract at Ajax.

siem de jong newcastle

Siem de Jong – signs for Newcastle

And Siem is an attacking midfielder with great football skills and leadership qualities, and he will be a welcome addition to the squad,.

He’s the second senior signing by Newcastle this summer and follows free agent Jack Colback through the door, and we have also signed 20 year-old Ayozr Perez from Tenerife.
This is what Siem said after the signing to nufcTV:

“I hope to bring a lot of attacking play and goals,” “At Ajax I scored quite a lot of goals as an attacking midfielder – sometimes as a striker – and I hope to do that here too.”

“I want to help the team be as good as it can be.” “I hope I can bring it here as well,” “I had a great couple of years as captain at Ajax and really improved my leadership skills.”

“It was good for me to be captain and to have that opportunity at Ajax. I hope that will help me here.” “I hope it can be the same for me.”

“They were really good players for Ajax. I played with all three of them.” “I hope to see them again soon. I will be playing against them now but it will be nice to do that and it is nice to be in the Premier League.”

That last line is about Luis Suarez, Christian Eriksen and Jan Vertonghen being at Ajax and are now very good players in the Premier League.

This is a very good signing for Newcastle, and now we need about four more top players brought in and we also need to somehow keep both Mathieu Debuchy and Moussa Sissoko at the club.

Siem played 244 games for Ajax with 78 goals.

Written from Winchester, England.

• musomag

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Well, good morning Ed, was beginning to think you were in a state of shock

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:45 AM

So will Newcastle go back in for his brother now…maybe another loan deal (it seems we cannot find a striker anyway)

• james589

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Was genuinely surprised to see this news last night. I know there were rumours a couple of weeks back but that’s all they were. We kept this one very quiet. Good to know that things are happening behind the scenes. Amalfitano out and de Jong in is a cracking day’s business!

A great third signing of the summer, let’s hope there’s many more to come 🙂

• Spoof

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:56 AM

Don’t rate this guy, he is best playing just off the striker, so a 4-4-2 would be best for him which isn’t really what we like as the long ball game is to easily used with that formation, and with the prem being so much quicker than what he is used to I doubt he would succeed in that role anyway due to being too slow, so he may be asked to play a bit deeper as a number 10 which is not his best position as he is better being fed rather than being the provider, prehaps this is why we were wanting Lasogga as the two of them together would be suited for the long ball game, so who is next, his brother instead of Lasogga, it would be like having Carroll and Nolan back but who will make those 50 yard punts like Joey Barton used too, Mike Williamson might get a few assists, mind I’m not sure he is strong enough to kick the ball 50 yards ?, won’t it be fun, if ever we have made a backwards step then this is it ?

• ethiotoon

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:59 AM

finally I took a breath. good signing eventhough never saw him in action. hope no one departs now,specially sissoko,2014/15 will be sissoko’s magical season,I willbe less dissappointed for debuchy though if he leaves,bcoz for one he’ll be 29 soon and 2nd we’ll recuperate good money .good job charn(call him champ now)..
    hope more to come,ESP those frenchees ..

• croftus5678

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:05 AM

great signing this is going some way to restoring a tiny bit of faith,

however if we lose sissoko or debuchy who imo are our only “class above” players then i wont be happy.

a striker and a winger please without any of those 2 leaving and it will be a good window for us.

• Toon-Prodigy

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Glad he is in to help the rest of the lads, shame it’s six months too late when Cabaye was sold.

Im still waiting for money to be spent on proven quality players with experience in this league, it’s scandalous we are still searching out freebies and players in the final years of their contracts as a priority.

• Shaker Shakrah

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:00 AM

amazing quality player
    the best formation to play for him
    is 4 – 2 – 3 – 1 just behind Lacazette 😀

• Lost Plot

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Spoof .. U don’t rate him lol

He’s in a Geordie Jersey so don’t he deserve our backing

• usmagpie

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Well all I can Say is ” Beat me twice and call me Barbara ”
    Wow we finally came through on a player that we actually wanted and he is a good one. You do not captain Ajax if your not any good. Now I’m off to run into a wall head first to make sure I’m not dreaming.