The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Siem de Jong Will Add Skill And Goals To Newcastle

7:48 am, Wednesday, July 2nd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

Siem de Jong will add skills, goals and leadership to the Newcastle side, and we probably got the top player on Tyneside at a very reasonable fee too, since he only had one year left on his contract at Ajax, who he had been with for nine years.

Newcastle United Sign Siem de Jong

Siem de Jong – six year deal

Siem signed a six year deal and a couple of weeks ago he has made it plain he was anxious to sing for the club when he said Newcastle were simply a great club.

This is what Siem said after the signing:

“It is great to have signed for Newcastle. It is a big club which my brother told me all about, so I already feel good here.”

“I had been at Ajax a long time and wanted a new challenge in a new environment and a new country.” “Coming to Newcastle is a great opportunity and the chance to play for a club like this in the Premier League was one I could not turn down.”

“I am looking forward to starting training and meeting my new teammates and hopefully we can have a successful season.””

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was happy (and probably relieved) that the club had signed a top player and he had this to say about Siem:

“We are absolutely overjoyed to bring Siem to the Club because he will give us intelligence in the final third and create goal-scoring situations, which we lacked towards the end of last season.”

“It is a big signing for this Club. Siem brings massive experience from Ajax, I think our fans are going to enjoy the way he plays, and I cannot wait to start working with him.”

Siem was captain of Ajax for two years so he also brings leadership as well as his vast experience to Newcastle.

He is a versatile player and can play in midfield, in a number 10 role or up front as a striker and he scored 78 goals in 244 appearances while at Ajax.

The transfer fee was not disclosed, but it was likely to be low because he had just one year left on his contract.

And yesterday was also the first day of the summer transfer window – so maybe we have other signings lined up who will be announced – before players start reporting back at the end of the week.

de Jomg is an exciting signing for Newcastle.

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Siem de Jong · Transfer News and Rumours

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 Spoof // Jul 2, 2014 at 7:51 AM

repost

AC

the chances are that even if we do sign him that well past it Argentine will still play and drag Virgil down to his poor level whilst MYM gets classed as being Debuchy’s replacement which would be a travesty as he is not a fullback and Colo is no longer a centre back, but as we saw last season with the MYM/Willo break up Colo is still Pardew’s favourite, get Auriel or Micah Richards to replace Debuchy with Van Dijk, MYM and Haidara then with Tiote in front of them I feel we would have the makings of a decent defence.

• 2 nut meg // Jul 2, 2014 at 7:53 AM

REPOST
    I woke up to good news this morning about SDJ. A good signing for me,we badly needed a brain,somebody who knows what to do in the final 3rd, who can see what’s going on around him because he plays with his head up.He will link up the play so there will be some team play at long last. Things are beginning to move forward so I hope it doesn’t stop there!
    Lilo
    I seen a report somewhere that said that the fee was around 6m for SDJ which would be about right as the reports from months ago said he leave Ajax this season for 7m.

• 3 lochinvar // Jul 2, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Welcome -a siemless transfer for once, good move. Just a pity that the numpties organising the photo shoot couldn’t find a black and white shirt for him to wear or hold . As to the National Press no mention as yet , more preoccied with rumours than facts. Daily Star now jumped on the rumour bandwagon saying Debuchy will sign for the Gooners but unable to report we signed De Jong . London press again no doubt trying to impress the poor sods crammed into their tatty underground system on their way to work after watching the Monty Python reunion, sad really. Me ? ” always look on the toon side of life, de Jong , de Jong, de Jong , de Jong ” la la la ..

• 4 nut meg // Jul 2, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Spoof
    IMHO a new CB is a must have.It doesn’t bare thinking about starting a new season with the same defenders as previous seasons,the very ones who shipped goals by the wagon load. If we do that then just how could Pardew expect anything to change…..even he isin’t that stupid…or is he ?

• 5 Scottiedog // Jul 2, 2014 at 8:30 AM

It would not suprise me if don’t get luuk cheap as well! Excellent marketing opportunities

• 6 martoon // Jul 2, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Scottiedog @5 – I’m pretty sure he has done a deal to go to PSV Eindhoven – phew :)

• 7 Brutooon // Jul 2, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Without kicking the ball, Siem De Jong is 5000 better than Shola Sh*t Ameobi

• 8 NYMAG // Jul 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Very pleased with this signing, he adds quality and creativity we are badly lacking. I hope this doesn’t mean the end of our pursuit of Cabella and/or Grenier but I suspect it might be….Maybe SDJ was just a cheaper and alternative to Grenier.

previous post: Newcastle In For Top Dutch Center-Back