New Signing Reveals Newcastle’s Ambitions – Top Four Place

Siem de Jong has been interviewed again today, and he has said that he has talked to Alan Pardew and that Newcastle’s ambitions are to go one better than two years ago – and finish in the top four of the Premier league.

siem de jong 987

Siem de Jong – scoring for Ajax

This is what 25 year-old Siem has said today:

“Newcastle had some difficulties in the second half of last season, but I hope we can be better this season and we can aim for the fourth place and for the Champions League,”

“That’s a goal here and it’s a really tough goal, because there’s a lot of big clubs in England, but we’ll do our best to make it a great season.”

“The club has told me about their plans, and that they want to sign some other players and mix them in with the existing players to build up something really strong, that’s the goal for the team and for me also.”

“We have to aim high, even when I was at Ajax and we were playing in the Champions League, getting out of the group was also a tough goal, but you have to aim high.

“We’re building up a good team, with some new players so it will be good to see all the pieces fit into place.”

We like the way Siem thinks – but of course he’s been at a top club like Ajax for a while, but that ambition is great to see at Newcastle.

And while Alan Pardew would never come out and say we are trying to be a top four team again – surely that’s at least the stretch goal at Newcastle.

Pardew also has to produce something really special next season, after the trials and tribulations of the last two seasons, after we had done really well in finishing in 5th place in May, 2012.

More players like Siem de Jong would help us to do exactly that.

What do you think?

• Slank

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM

REPOST

I’m not sure Siem de Jong is a direct replacement for Cabaye.

Cabaye is a pure central midfield player who interestingly is currently playing as the deep lying defensive playmaker in a three man midfield for France.

Siem de Jong appears to be the player between the midfield and the centre forward.

I still believe the club will go for Grenier as he would appear to be more the pure midfield player.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:02 AM

Repost,

On SDJ, I hope to god Pardew doesn’t play him as a striker!! He isn’t that, yes he can play there. From what I have seen (not much) and heard of him (a fair bit more now) then he seems much more suited to a slightly deeper role, and is almost a Dutch, technically able and more talented version of Kevin Nolan. Which would mean you want him arriving late into shooting positions, not playing with his back to goal, or on the shoulder of the last defender as an out and out striker.

What has worried me slightly is that a bloke I know who works with Dutch people was telling me they were saying Luuk is much the better player, and this was echoed by some of the Dutch over here I have spoken to.

• Slank

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Oh dear. oh dear.

We can’t have all these positive statements. The natives will not like it. They survive and prosper on negativity.

Siem, it will not do.

• stuart no9

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Top4 place ???? Hahahaha haha poor man . He is in for the biggest shock of his life . Pardew has certainly done a job on him already . Wait till he starts playing . Hahahaha

• nut meg

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:06 AM

REPOST
    SDJ
    He’s a player that I’v wanted at NUFC for quite a while now.I’v heard a few on here who clearly don’t rate /want him, I do.I just hope that he’s given a chance to settle in & adapt to the PL IMHO he’s got the brain that we lack,he plays with his head up so he’s aware of what’s around him,he’ll bring a lot of players into the game in the final 3rd in stead of what we have now which is all about individual play…….some team work .He creates ,scores with both feet & can head a ball.
    Slank
    I agree with you,I don’t class him as Cabs replacement either.IMHO he’ll bring a lot more to the final 3rd than Cabs but he needs help to do it. A good buy for me.

• Slank

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Lil

‘…technically able and more talented version of Kevin Nolan.. ‘

That can’t be too hard to achieve.

Perhaps you should have added ‘and not as fat’.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:11 AM

So SDJ thinks Pardew is an honest trainer hahahahahahahah!!!!

Got really excited when I saw a headline on newsnow saying we were targetting Galtier as manager only to then see it was dated May 9th, but then I saw on Newcastle rumours that the French media are reporting our approach for Galtier dated today!!

I think with Pardew’s self satisfied smugness around landing SDJ there’ll be nothing in it sadly.

But imagine SDJ with Cabella, Grenier, Lacazette, P.E.A, Coubilaly, De Vrijs and the Mexican keeper and a new manager and a new sponsor, Ash would go from zero to hero. Then I woke up !!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:11 AM

As much as am trying to stay positive for this window, Siem must surely realise that the work required for that is 99% unlikely to be achieved in one window – some would say ever in the clubs current guise.

Still, nowt wrong with a new signing expressing his desire to compete, and that is obviously what Pardew and the club have sold to him. Fingers crossed it happens.

Nut meg,
    Given time to settle in and adapt – that could be the biggest issue. We still need at least 3 first teasers and a handful of squad members to have a competitive squad and to prevent immediate negativity. Without that Siem will get no time to adapt.

Currently he is the only first team level standard signing in 18 months (I class Colback as back up) and as such, expectations will be on him to produce immediately – if he doesn’t then given last season, neither will the team. This will only then descend into negativity. IT could be very tough for SDJ if he doesn’t hit the ground running.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Slank,
    Or that he has less of an obsession with powdering his nose… (allegedly).

I meant more in terms of positioning and finding the space in the last third and around the box. He doesn’t seem to have a huge amount of pace, so he relies on a bit of nous in the same way that Nolan, and Speed did to get their goals and shooting opportunities.

• kww

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:14 AM

repost:

lilongwe im just using man city as an analogy.
    i doubt benny can make it in any of the big clubs, maybe at best a squad player or impact sub

cabaye has a competitive streak in him which allowed him to adapt faster to the premier league. he was willing to fight for loose balls and on top of that he has very good technique

SDJ looks like he has the technique but is he a competitor?

most of his goals on youtube seem only to highlight how bad the defending is in the dutch league where all the defenders enjoyed watching the ball so much
    he will never get that amount of time on the ball in the premier league

SDJ looks like withdrawn strijker to me who can strike the ball cleanly but he doesnt seem very fast or pacy or able to run at defenders, does he have great vision and passing range to play in the hole? i.e. totti or scholes?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Damn autocorrect, teamer’s into teasers!!!

• lesh

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:16 AM

We’ll have to start achieving top six if we don’t want to be beaten to potential signings by the bigger clubs!

Hey ho,

😉

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Ryan Gauld gone to the Sporting Club, cracking move for the lad, and a very brave one from him, more of our young talent should make similar moves. £48million release clause in his contract as well! Good luck to the kid!

• lesh

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:20 AM

So, di Jong’s talked to Alan Pardew and he’s been told that Newcastle’s ambitions are to go one better than two years ago – and finish in the top four of the Premier league??

Let’s hope Pardew’s got Ashley’s endorsement on that after all, it’d be a shame if he’s telling fibs to new players.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM

lesh

pardew tell fibs, no way he is an ”honest trainer” !!!!

• Pardews Prolific Boys

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Sdj looks like a better version of Nolan on the attack. Some people may not like this but if he scores goals I’m happy

• Ibizatoon

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Surely someone has told Siem that we simply cannot compete near the top? Then there is a whole host of teams that we can’t compete with financially between 5th and 15th….

Top 4…sign some other players…I think I may need another coffee or two…

Blackley (from last night)….You didn’t really answer my question / point. I accept Ashley wants the club to be self sufficient (or to wipe it’s own nose as you put it), but we seem to be going one more than that and building a nice big bank balance, right? What is it for? Club progression or to pay back Mikeys debt? Perhaps a bit of both?

I’m not saying he should be funding us to shoot for the CL, but at least spend the money we do have, wisely as we know they can and actually give us a decent shot at doing something.

You know, maybe a 1/4 final of a domestic cup…wouldn’t that be a laugh?

Self sufficiency was meant to be step one in Mikes master plan, now I just feel it’s a convenient stick to control the expectations of the masses.

The problem with waiting for only the best deal is that the team has stagnated. People make a big deal out of Pardew stifling the players, I would hazard a guess that the clubs statement of not really chasing anything, added to now actually bolstering the squad in 18 months probably had a big part to play in our decline.

What is it the fans and players are supposed to be passionate about or believe in? Tradition? It’s their duty / job too?

As much as he’d like us to be, NUFC is not a SD store and whilst some of the ideals will be beneficial, he has the balance completely wrong imo.

Anyway, off to work I go.

Top 4…ha ha. Bless.

• nut meg

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Lilo
    That’s my biggest worry,if they don’t bring in more players It’ll be like a mile stone around his neck.Your right also about his position.He isn’t a CF,he plays just behind the CF & he doe’s arrive in & around the box.He shoots from distance with accuracy & power….you’ll see soon enough & can judge for yourself. …he’s more Dennis Bergkamp than Kevin Nolan haa haa.

• firebug666

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:36 AM

When Pardrew and SDJ are finished patting each other on the back and spouting out lines in the press they think will pacify the TOON fans we might get back to brining in more much needed personnel.

Pardrew would have been better of saying “Siem is a great signing for us and will bring intelligence to our attack, now all we need to do is bring in the players that will allow him the freedom to use that intelligence in a positive way for us”

The way Pardrew is talking, Colback is going to turn games around for us when we are behind, and deJong is going to use his superior Intellect to create and score the goals.

I just hope we get a creative midfielder and a couple of strikers in. The team was so very poor this year it will take a lot more than these two Pardrew boys to move it forward.

• Shaker Shakrah

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I am not sure we will go for Grenier
    but if we do sign him ??
    OMG amazing squad with Cabella on the left .
    sadly £ 25M will be needed and I doubt
    Ashley will pay that .

• musomag

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Top 4 place? Let’s hope somebody remembered to include Mike Ashley in that ambitious conversation

Siem you need to convince lots of your talented friends to join the club on the cheap

• WLtoon

Jul 3, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Our starting line up for start of next season will prob be the same back four without Debuchy., the same midfield, with Colbeck instead of Sissoko, with Cisse, Goofy and De Jong our attacking options. .
    Im assuming Krul and Tiote will stay, i hope so, bcos this squad is as weak as piss as it stands,even with them two included.
    I just wish people would wake up and realise that we wont be buying any of the names mentioned in this blog,for reasons we have mentioned many many times.

• bobby mango

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Think every club from mid table up is aspiring for top four.
    If we can get top eight consistently and good cup runs I’d be happy.

• Whumpie

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Oh dear Siem; you trusting soul. If this club gets anywhere near securing 7th or above by January then you and anyone else with a good price tag will be touted around like a hot diamond until the squad is weakened enough to keep us between 17th abd 7th.

God I hope I’m wrong.

• toonluvva

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:38 PM

A top 4 finish?

Not for NUFC. We have already stated that we are not up the domestic cups which could lead to a Europa League place, but we are supposedly aiming for Champions League?

Sorry, but this is all BS and P45due knows it is. Our sole ambition is to finish somewhere around 10 – 14th place. The “Goldilocks zone” as I call it. Not too close to the top of the table as risk qualification for European competitions and not too low as to be in danger of relegation and losing all that TV revenue.

I suppose that our PR department prepared the statement with a view to boosting season ticket sales.