The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Siem de Jong Ticks All The Boxes For Newcastle

7:37 am, Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

It’s interesting that when Yohan Cabaye left Newcastle in January, manager  Alan Pardew had him playing as a withdrawn striker, and he was getting a lot of goals, and in fact he scored five goals in his last seven games for the club, and two great goals against West Ham in his very last game to get us that win at Upton Park. Then he left and we started going downhill.

siem de jong newcastle

Siem de Kong – great singing for Newcastle

And Siem de Jong’s favorite position is as a withdrawn striker, where he can both score goals and create goals which he did at Ajax, so in that way he could be replacement for Yohan Cabaye.

At the very least he’s a creative player who will help the Newcastle side enormously and he’s been welcomed as a very good signing by the fans – and it seems we’ve been after him since a year last January when it even looked we could have signed him then.

Newcastle get criticized a lot these days (what’s new?) – but it;’s also important to give the club credit when they bring in a player of Siem’s abilities – we think he’s a great signing for Newcastle.

This is what Alan Pardew has said about the player today:

“It’s very important for us.” “After Yohan Cabaye left last year we lacked some intelligence to our team in attacking areas.”

“We are absolutely overjoyed to bring him to the club.” “He will give us some intelligence in that last third.” “He will create situations for us.”

“It’s something towards the back end of last year, we struggled with.” “It’s a big signing for us and he brings massive experience from Ajax.”

“Our fans are going to enjoy the way he plays.” “I can’t wait to start work with him.” “He is a player I have courted for 14 months or so.”

“To finally get him is a real pleasure for me personally.” “We hope he is going to have a great career here.”

Newcastle need out-and-out strikers in and he can fit that role, and we need creative midfielders in, and Siem can also fit that role too.

Did we say he was a great signing for Newcastle? :D

We need four or five more signings like this and we could be on our way next season.

Howay The Lads!!

Written while on vacation in Winchester, England.

Madeline and I went yesterday to see the house we owned in Romsey many moons ago before I was transferred to the US – and we couldn’t find it – but eventually got there – but we walked seven miles – and my knees are killing me today.
Last night we had dinner with my best man Terry – who still lives in Romsey – weather is excellent – nice and cool.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Siem de Jong · Transfer News and Rumours

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Jul 3, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Lil,
    I read you and I read your arguments in the past, with respect. Still, I disagree. I think another manager would have done much better with such a player. How have we accommodated his talents, making space for him to do his thing, using strength specific tactics? I would’ve used him as wor Messie!

I may be wrong of course, he may be crap and unable to learn. I just can’t shake what I’ve seen him do. Messi would’ve been envious of his best of tape.

If I were him, I’d be begging to go, in order to resurrect my career, so we agree there.

Nutmeg, read you too. Disagree mate.

• 2 sparky55 // Jul 3, 2014 at 7:51 AM

he looks very flexible…lets hope pardew doesn’t put him in nets!

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 3, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Cyprus,
    I agree, another manager would have used him better, particularly in the run in last season. Despite my opinions on him, and thoughts that he isn’t what many make him out to be, I still think that there is no competition between HBA and Gosling. I am baffled that HBA wasn’t even involved the last few games.

However, he has had similar episodes with different managers, so should also shoulder some blame.

Still, my main point was that I think it is almost impossible to build an argument to say he isn’t available this summer, given last season, given Ashley sticking by Pards, and given that he is in the last year of his contract and no talks have taken place since last November.

I agree with you, he should leave the club, both for himself and in my personal opinion. I think he should head to Portugal where he would have a decent stage and a league which would allow him to demonstrate his obvious, if heavily flawed genius.

I think Benzema got it right when he said it was because of his head that he wasn’t on the biggest stage. The talent is obvious, the attitude and aptitude less so.

• 4 nut meg // Jul 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM

He’s a player that I’v wanted at NUFC for quite a while now.I’v heard a few on here who clearly don’t rate /want him, I do.I just hope that he’s given a chance to settle in & adapt to the PL IMHO he’s got the brain that we lack,he plays with his head up so he’s aware of what’s around him,he’ll bring a lot of players into the game in the final 3rd in stead of what we have now which is all about individual play…….some team work .He creates ,scores with both feet & can head a ball.

• 5 Slank // Jul 3, 2014 at 7:58 AM

I’m not sure Siem de Jong is a direct replacement for Cabaye.

Cabaye is a pure central midfield player who interestingly is currently playing as the deep lying defensive playmaker in a three man midfield for France.

Siem de Jong appears to be the player between the midfield and the centre forward.

I still believe the club will go for Grenier as he would appear to be more the pure midfield player.

• 6 kww // Jul 3, 2014 at 7:59 AM

benny MAY star in 80% of the games if he is playing in the current man city squad because he has world class players in positions covering the yards and doing the work for him
    but then again is he going to be better than nasri or silva? probably not, he probably end up like jovetic or worse sinclair

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 3, 2014 at 8:00 AM

On SDJ, I hope to god Pardew doesn’t play him as a striker!! He isn’t that, yes he can play there. From what I have seen (not much) and heard of him (a fair bit more now) then he seems much more suited to a slightly deeper role, and is almost a Dutch, technically able and more talented version of Kevin Nolan. Which would mean you want him arriving late into shooting positions, not playing with his back to goal, or on the shoulder of the last defender as an out and out striker.

What has worried me slightly is that a bloke I know who works with Dutch people was telling me they were saying Luuk is much the better player, and this was echoed by some of the Dutch over here I have spoken to.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 3, 2014 at 8:01 AM

KWW, HBA wouldn’t make the City 25. He doesn’t have the homegrown status that gets Milner and Rodwell in, or got Sinclair in.

• 9 kww // Jul 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM

cabaye has a competitive streak in him which allowed him to adapt faster to the premier league. he was willing to fight for loose balls and on top of that he has very good technique

SDJ looks like he has the technique but is he a competitor?
    most of the goals on youtube seem only to highlight how bad the defending is in the dutch league where all the defenders enjoyed watching the ball so much
    he will never get that amount of time on the ball in the premier league

• 10 kww // Jul 3, 2014 at 8:09 AM

lilongwe im just using man city as an analogy.
    i doubt benny can make it in any of the big clubs, maybe at best a squad player or impact sub

• 11 kww // Jul 3, 2014 at 8:12 AM

SDJ looks like withdrawn strijker to me who can strike the ball cleanly
    but he doesnt seem very fast or pacy or able to run at defenders, does he have great vision and passing range to play in the hole? i.e. totti or scholes?

• 12 martoon // Jul 3, 2014 at 8:40 AM

ED – Hopefully the North East is on your itinery :)

• 13 Greebol1892 // Jul 3, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Pic caption reads “Siem de KONG”. Hope he’s KING KONG instead of DONKEY KONG….

previous post: Newcastle Closing In On Deal For Alexandre Lacazette