Newcastle Miss Out On Target – Wants Bigger Club

The Chronicle reported yesterday that Newcastle will probably miss out on Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette, because the player wants to play in the Champions League, and there is no chance of Newcastle United being in that competition for the foreseeable future, with our ambitions being to stay in the upper half of the Premier League.

U20 World Cup Soccer France Mali

Alexandre Lacazette – wants Champions league football

Newcastle have missed out on Bafe Gomis and Pierre-Michel Lasogga so far this summer, although in those cases they did not particularly want Champions league football and Gomis signed for Swansea City, and Lasogga wanted to move to Hamburg, and that deal was announced as being completed yesterday.

The Chronicle quoted Lacazette’s agent David Venditelli as saying this yesterday:

“If Alexandre were to leave, he would leave for a team which plays in the Champions League, or at least one which is very close to it,”

With Newcastle having difficulty getting close to a top four position in England, when we go after the better strikers, they usually want Champions League football.

So our choices tend to be limited to those who will join Newcastle and be content with a club whose ambitions are to stay in the Premier League but also avoid any relegation struggle.

And the way that comes out in our goals  for the season is that we want to finish in the top ten in the Premier League – and that’s it.

Forget about the cups because long cup runs can have an adverse impact on our league position, as it did with Birmingham, Wigan and Hull City.

And we get big money from the Premier League – almost £80M last season for finishing in 10th place.

Newcastle have lost three strikers this summer in Shola Ameobi, Loic Remy and Luuk de Jong – and we (desperately) need three good strikers brought in.

Newcastle signed Siem de Jong last week form Ajax, and he can play as an out-and-out striker, although his preferred position is as a withdrawn striker in the number 10 position.

It would appear that Newcastle need to go further down their list of striker targets, following this announcement from David Venditelli.

• MrToon

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Sounds like we’ve lost the keys to our war chest!

• Grafton83

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Is Shola still available on a free, I wouldn’t rule it out.

• Average_Contents

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Why do we as fans fcuking bother anymore? The club aren’t bothered about us or competing for anything so what’s the point? It’s getting beyond the loyalty angle or toon through and through! Why give a fcuk when they clearly don’t?

I’m one of the most loyal people you’ll ever likely to meet but it’s getting to the point whereas I’m simply not arsed anymore….that’s how that fat leech and his puppet partner in crime have made me feel about the club I love and mark my words in the not too distant future, many more will feel this “disconnect” even the most staunch supporters of this regime will eventually see the light! We are being run into the ground using the bare minimum to do so and unless there is a drastic shift in direction then there will not be a football club left to support!

Just an empty shell of a once proud football club managed by a league one chancer and owned by an bag of wind who couldn’t give two flying fcuks about NUFC apart from advertising his cheap tat and lining his own pockets

• Average_Contents

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Rant over!

• TheDrewid

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:31 AM

Eeee! Alan! I’m a first time caller, long time listener and I’m dead nervous.

I see people on here regularly slating other people for basing their knowledge of footballers from playing Fifa 14 or Champ Man. Well I just wanted to let you all know just how realistic Fifa 14 is. I recently started a game in career mode using my beloved Nufc and against all the odds was able to steer them towards league glory and champions league qualification. Only to be promptly informed that Krul, Cabaye and Debuchy were being sold. Imagine how impressed I was to then discover, as the transfer window drew to a close that we then bought absolutely no bugger in whatsoever!! It’s like having my own virtual Mike Ashley. I can’t even escape from the f***er in my own game!! Foolishly, I’m pressing on in the hope that it’ll be rectified in the January window, but I have the gnawing dread that I’m going to be bitterly disappointed again.

So the next time you feel like having a go at someone for basing their knowledge on Fifa14, just remember how bloody realistic it is. #sadface #onlyusinghashtagtoappearcoolandinteresting #probabyfailedspectacularly

• Slank

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:36 AM

We were never realistically in for Pierre-Michel Lasogga as he only wanted to stay in Germany. As far as I can tell we turned down Bafe Gomis as his age and money were incompatible.

Alexandre Lacazette’s agent is being very cute saying ‘… Champions League, or at least very close to it..’ This means that my client (and me) need compensation (in money) as Newcastle are not in the Champions League.

This cry of ‘Champions League’ is getting a bit silly as only 4 clubs in the Premiership qualify leaving the other 16 clubs with little or no chance of getting players who want ‘Champions League’.

Based on the 2013 table Everton, Spurs and ManU may not be good enough for this player but he could play for Lincoln Red Imps, the champions of the 2013–14 Gibraltar Premier Division so that’s not so bad !

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:41 AM

The sale of Yohan Cabaye at such a pivotal time of the Season not only cocked up the second half of the season but also meant no Champ League and no decent players wanting to come to us!

Thanks Fat Ash !

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Jul 5, 2014 at 8:43 AM

@3:

Totally agree with you, sorry to say!

• anthc

Jul 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Champions league? Not be coming here then. However, some players egos need to pipe down. Look at cabaye for example, wanted to win things and is happy to be a bit part player in order to achieve it. Some need to realise there not good enough for the top four teams unless they’re signing for celtic. No disrespect to celtic by the way

• Sav

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Looks like Debuchy has gone for far less than the touted £12 million. Who pulled off that master-stroke? Charnley? Not that we need care about the size of the fee because it won’t be spent anyway.

• musomag