Newcastle Transfer Target Picks Up Injury

There was news on Thursday that potential Newcastle right back target Ricardo Van Rhijn of Ajax left the training ground with a hamstring injury to his left leg, during the training camp in Neustift, Austria.

Ricardo Van Rhijn

Ricardo Van Rhijn – leaves training field injured last Thursday

And that’s important to Newcastle because we have been linked with the Ajax right back as a potential replacement for departing French International right-back Mathieu Debuchy, who will be taking a vacation after France were knocked out of the World Cup by Germany on Friday night.

Ricardo Van Rhijn has played 107 times for Ajax over the last three seasons with three goals, and he already has 7 full caps for Holland.

Ajax have reported that the tear was verified on Friday after an MRI scan in an Austrian hospital, and the first team squad have been at the training camp in Austria since last Monday.

The Dutch club  have not yet come out with how long they expect the 23 year-old to be out of action, but hamstring tears are fairly serious.

And the player is usually out a couple of months at least – and it would seem unlikely any deal can be done by the Magpies for the Dutchman before September.

Newcastle have also been linked with Feyenoord right back Daryl Janmaat, who has been impressive at the World Cup in Brazil for Holland.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Repost;
    Zaha has good potential, but at £7million is still vastly overpriced. He is like a poor version of Ben Arfa in that he has bags of tricks, but doesn’t know what to do with it half the time. He had decent run in the League Cup for Palace and all because of that became a star in the making. Another year or two with Palace would have done him much better than going to Man U.

I have said it before, but if we want a young rough diamond from Man U we should be looking at Powell at a fraction of the price. Would be a superb understudy and back up to SDJ as well as offering an ability to play out wide or as a striker.

Made up for Krul last night, but given we were already bookies favourites to get the Mexican keeper on a free it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see us lose Timmy. Spurs could well need a keeper (Lloris to PSG rumours still around), and you can be certain he impressed Levy with his display at WHL last season.

• lochinvar

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Don’t worry it’s all part of the plan. Feign injury to put other teams off the scent while our smooth slick well oiled negotiation team of Chumley, Pardue and Cashley ( sounds like a firm of dodgy solicitors ) move it to seal the deal in record breaking time for an outrageously good fee for Newcastle and announcing the new acquisition to the fans in a well prepared high profile PR event at SJP at which all fans are welcome and receive free hospitality in the new hospitality venue. Meanwhile JFK calls in with a deal on Canapés ! More champagne anyone ?

• nut meg

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Lilo
    Do you have any idea how many staff we have in our negotiating team ? If Tim is on the move & we try to get the Mexican in, then all the ins & outs that are needed….GK,FB,CB,AMF,LW,RW CF …..jeezz, no wonder Charnley doesn’t smile a lot ..and we need them all pretty sharpish! Poor soul.

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM

I didn’t see the full match.

Was Ricardo Van Rhijn any good?

• Ibizatoon

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Morning all,

Can’t seem to find any links for replays of the penalties from last night, anyone have any ideas?

• nut meg

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Ibiza
    Try this one,it’s on the video archive,Sat 5 July.It works for me.

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:40 AM

nut meg

That’s a good question.

I’m guessing that Charnley does all the horse trading but once the player is signed I suppose there are nameless and faceless minions behind the scenes to smooth the transition for the player to settle into the club and area.

I’m curious, does Charnley speak French? I’m assuming that all the negotiations for SDJ were in English as I have yet to meet a Dutchman or women who doesn’t speak perfect English.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Nut meg,
    Since when do the footballing requirements super-cede the financial gain of selling player. We will struggle to get all our replacements in anyway. The positions mentioned are all first team, but we also need squad depth as well. It is going to be a long hard summer for Charnley and co. Then a long hard season for NUFC fans!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Slank/Nut meg,
    Carr will do the initial chit chat with players and their associates, then Charnley will do the discussions with clubs on figures. There was an interesting article I read a while back which was with an agent who had dealt with Charnley several times and was saying how Charnley was well respected in that sphere, and straight as a die when it comes to the negotiations.

• IITianToon

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:46 AM

@LiloG
    Can you share that article? Sounds interesting.

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Lil,

I guess Charnley doesn’t turn up on foreign soil all on his tod.

There must be others but who?

Clubs make it freely known who are their backroom staff but little or nothing is made known about the scouting and negotiating team. For us all there seems to be is Graham Carr but he must have a quite large and widely spread team, one would guess.

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Lil

You answered my question before I posted it !

Well done, how’s your knowledge of Ascot?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Lilongwe…now Powell that’s a player I would have liked, but instead we went after the freebie Colback!

• IITianToon

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:50 AM

We need two strikers minimum, Pardew and Charnley must be well aware of that. I remember someone posting a link to a list of players we could be looking at, all having 1 year or less remaining on their contract. I would bet 50 bucks that that’s where our next player is coming from.

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Lil,

I read that article too.

I think it was the Journal or Chronicle and yes Charnley is highly regarded. I would guess there isn’t much he doesn’t know about the club having worked his way up over the years.

• IITianToon

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM

@Jesper Colback is a player Pardew wanted. Passionate, gritty and hard-working, with maybe a sprinkling of talent. I myself don’t mind him being a squad player.

• Ibizatoon

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Nutmeg…Cheers for that. Got to see the replay of the penalties…a little surreal with some video constantly repeating someone shouting “goooooooaaaaalllll” and some little kid singing some weird little feel good footy song in the background, but yeah, thanks 🙂

• nut meg

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Lilo
    Aye,I read that that article also but can’t remember where.It surprised me a bit to be honest but I was still pleased to hear what the guy had to say about him. It gave me a wee bit of hope that we may have somebody in authority who doesn’t speak with a forked tongue.

• IITianToon

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:55 AM

@Ibiza Was the “goaaalllll” Spanish or Brazilian. I personally find the Arabic version the funniest!

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM

IITianToon @ 14

My understanding is that the club, like all clubs, have a list of targets but I don’t know the length of it.

It wouldn’t surprise me to find that some of the lists from the various clubs look very similar when compared especially clubs in the same position of the league or/and financial position.

• Ibizatoon

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I don’t care what anyone says, there is no way that Charnley is better than wor Kinnear at negotiating…or anything for that matter.

I bet Joe is even better at being called Lee, than Lee.

• IITianToon

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Joe Kineaar’s initials truly define the man. JK !

• Ibizatoon

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM

IITian…I would go for Brazilian, but it was drowned out by this kid who has obviously been told he’s very special one too many times.

To Google I go “Arabic goooaaaaalll”.

Slank…Is target No.1 – “Don’t achieve too much”?

Oh, you mean transfer targets? I guess the same still applies.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Tian,
    I will try and find it for you.

Slank,
    Ascot for the Geegee’s? It was far better before I moved away, much harder following the racing here in Malawi. Only have the odd flutter now I’m afraid – did back the Plate winner recently though.

Jesper,
    I agree, I’d still be happy for us to get him, I’ve followed the lad since he broke through at Crewe and has all the hallmarks of a very good player. With Man U doing their rebuilding work now, he is likely to be pushed down the pecking order so I’d guess he would be available for a couple of million.

• IITianToon

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:04 AM

@Slank 20. True, my point is that you can safely bet that any new player will satisfy any of the following 3 properties:
    a) Has a year or less on his contract
    b) Is free
    c) Has a release clause <8m

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Lil,

Nothing that I will definitely email you before the Derby and the National !

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Nothing – Knowing (useless keyboard)

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:10 AM

IITianToon @ 25

I think Perez, Colback and De Jong all fit that scenario.

• IITianToon

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:13 AM

@Slank 28. I rest my case. 🙂

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Jesper

Do you live in Denmark?

• lesh

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Lilongwe

If Ashley reads you comment about Charnley being well respected and straight as a die when it comes to negotiations, that’ll be Charnley’s reign as MD over.

Honhesty and credibility don’t fit in with Ashley’s model behaviours and values for a business.

Where’s JFK? That’s who we need to really screw things up, again!

• Slank

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:40 AM

lesh

It was a newspaper article.

Lil was only saying what we had both read.

• lesh

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:41 AM

This lad’s parents must be worried sick at the prospect of their seven year old entering professional football.

If they’ve any sense, they should guide him towards the Toon – a few years under Pardew’s guidance and he’ll be en route for a proper job!

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Lesh
    In my humble opinion thats is what is wrong with football today – trying to sign young kids at seven. Clubs are frightened they will miss out on a young ‘Messi’ so they trawl around the schools and clubs and pick anyone up that looks OK. And the parents are just as bad – hoping their kid gets picked up.

Gone are the days when kids use to arrange kick abouts amongst themselves – coats or jumpers for goal posts – 10 half time 20 the winner – games went on for hours.

Never mind that’s my rant over.

See Pardew is writing in the Independent today and ‘what really helped to sign De Jong’ and signing players is not just scouts – but a computer system – Whyscout – where you can get the players stats and video clips – any of you computer wizards been on!

• anthc

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Zaha? No thanks! Regarding krul if we got a decent wedge of green queens for him I’d let him go. Mind that costa rican keeper would be my choice the lads been great the whole tournament. No wonder they call him the falcon! However, we’d have to pay for him so mexican freebie it will be. Also surprised there’s no news on cabella yet or am I just too impatient!

• nut meg

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Charlie
    It’s here & It’s called wyscout, other than I know nowt….too old!

• Rotonda heights

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Zaha would be like Obertan, just another poor Pardew influenced buy.

Zaha = headless chicken and not great attitude
    Richards = injury prone and not great attitude.

Jalmatt, Cabella, Grenier and P.E.A, plus re-integrate MYM and the picture looks better, even with a c–p manager still here

• Rotonda heights

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:10 AM

anthc

The Mexican or Costa Rica keeper would be awesome as I can’t see Timmy staying now.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:11 AM

IITianToon…I guess I just have to warm up to the kid 😉

Lilongwe…he might even be a cheaper and just ad good option as that Lyon kid?

Slank…yes I live in Aarhus, Denmark. I moved back here from London to study Architecture in 2002.

Ibiza…remember to give my regards to the bikini girls in Bikini bottom from me 😉

• beermonkey