The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle After Striker In Part Exchange Deal

5:20 am, Tuesday, July 8th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

There are conflicting press accounts about that status of any agreement between Newcastle and Arsenal on right back Mathieu Debuchy moving to Arsenal, but there are reports now from the Chronicle that Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell could be part of a player exchange deal.

joel campbell _2942542b

Joel Campbell – after scoring for Costa Rica against Uruguay

There are reports in London that Arsenal could also offer right back Carl Jenkinson, who Newcastle were supposed to be interested in a few months ago, and it would appear to be a good deal if Newcastle can do some kind of part exchange deal for Debuchy.

Newcastle need strikers and Joel Campbell would be the better option, especially since Italian press reports yesterday suggested Newcastle have an agreement in principle with Feyenoord, to sign Dutch International right back Daryl Janmaat.

The Magpies could also sign Joel on a one year loan deal, but we would assume Newcastle would take the player permanently if he was offered, since we are having some trouble getting our top striker targets to Tyneside.

West Ham, Everton and Southampton are also interested in the player, but Newcastle could force Campbell to be part of the Debuchy deal, and that seems to be good business for the club.

That’s especially true after what happened last season, when Newcastle took Loic Remy on loan, but he then wanted to join a bigger club after he had a good season on Tyneside – and that could also happen with Joel if we take him on loan.

What do you think?

Written in England while on vacation.

Tags: Mathieu Debuchy · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 MajorToonage // Jul 8, 2014 at 5:32 AM

Random question… I am an American and fell in love with the toon a few years ago. I am now an avid fan and haven’t missed a match in 2 seasons (not always easy in the states). Silly season is driving me nuts and I would really love to get a deeper knowledge of the club and it’s history. I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable fans could point me in the direction of a good book about the club’s history. Thanks for any responses and sorry if this hijacks the comments.

• 2 nut meg // Jul 8, 2014 at 6:01 AM

Major
    Welcome to the mad house.There’s lots of info on the internet, google The History of Newcastle United.There’s also a book/s for sale on Amozon.co.uk.
    I feel it’s my duty to tell that supporting NUFC should carry a health warning.It’s also a life long love affair that has it’s ups & downs,more downs than ups BUT…….we love’em. Enjoy.

• 3 bobby mango // Jul 8, 2014 at 7:04 AM

Getting Jenkinson as part of the deal would be great. Would rather have him than any of the other RBs we’ve been linked to. He’s English, proven in prem, young, has fight and desire, is a decent player.

Campbell would be a good idea as well.

They should hold firm and force those two to be part of the deal. Even if both are just loans (with options to buy / first refusal)

• 4 Graeme // Jul 8, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Major Toonage, you could always try – “Newcastle United – The day the Promises had to stop”.
    Written by a very well known local businessman, Chairman of National Companies, who became MD at NUFC. He resigned when Freddie Sheppard forced his way back onto the Board.
    Its available on Amazon for £4.01 plus postage. Gives a great insight to the club, how it was run, how it is being run today.
    I hope you enjoy it.

• 5 usmagpie // Jul 8, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Ok so just pinched myself to make sure I’m not dreaming, a few weeks back on another post I asked the question. Why do Newcastle not push for some part cash or full exchanges on players. Now they are trying this and to be honest if we could get both players and it costs the club nothing, then that’s good business. Hopefully this is true that the club is looking at this option for the future. Lee if your going to use what I write as you business model then please start forwarding my check.
    For the UK ( Cheque ) Onwards and upwards, hopefully for the Toon.

• 6 geordie abroad // Jul 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM

An unproven premier striker (campball) on loan and 7.9m for the best RB in the league last season still seems like peanuts to me.

Also I thought campball couldn’t play in uk because of work permit issues?

previous post: Newcastle Must Sign Some Of These Strikers Soon