The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Some Confusion Over Debuchy Fee From Gunners

9:54 am, Wednesday, July 9th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 113 Comments

There has been recent news this week that maybe the fee for Debuchy has not yet been agreed between Arsenal and Newcastle, and certainly the recent news that Mathieu could go for only £8M with a £2M bonus based on the number of first team games he plays for the Gunners, was disappointing to Geordie fans.

mathieu debuchy 987

Mathieu Debuchy – how much are we getting for him?

The transfer fee Mike Ashley was supposed to want for the French International right-back was a nice £12M, and that would have doubled the fee we paid Lille for him a short 18 months ago – and would have been an excellent deal for Newcastle.

And if the fee rises to £10M over time that’s an OK deal – but not a ridiculous price to pay for one of the best right backs in the Premier League last season – and Newcastle should be in the business of selling our best players for ridiculous fees – like the Andy Carroll deal three and a half years ago with Liverpool.

We are hoping that Newcastle are busy trying to drive a hard bargain this week, and the news yesterday in the Chronicle was that Newcastle were offered Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell as part of the deal – and we hope that news is true.

There was also news  yesterday that Debuchy had passed his medical at Arsenal, but for that to happen a fee would have to have been agreed between the clubs.

We suppose some deal will still be announced before the end of this week, but Mike Ashley needs to continue to play hard ball (Mike’s good at that), and get the very best deal he can from Arsenal – since other clubs are still interested in Debuchy.

Then the Newcastle owner needs to spend the money he gets for Mathieu on other players in the squad – and at some point this summer we need to somehow bring in three good strikers.

Maybe the very best deal for Newcastle is to get Joel Campbell on board on a permanent basis – and get some money in addition to that for the 25 times capped French right-back.

What do you think?

Written while on (a hectic) vacation in England. :D

Tags: Contracts · Mathieu Debuchy · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

113 responses so far ↓

• 1 Rainrix // Jul 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Kinda reminds me of when enrique left. He was one of the best Lbs in the league when we sold him and that was for pretty much what we payed for him in the first place. You’d think ash would want maximum profit so he can go and not invest it back in the team :|

• 2 Lew Davies // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Debs maybe shouldn’t have deleted #NUFC from his twitter account so quickly.
    Could be embarrassing for him if Fatty drives a hard bargain and Arsenal pulls out of the deal.
    Mmmwwaaahahahaha.
    :D:

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Markaccus, Repost
    What a ridiculous comment (previous thread, not signing Africans because of match fixing)!! You do realise Europol are currently investigating 680 matches, with 380 of them taking place in Europe, some in the Champions league and in England? The other 300 are spread over South America, Africa and Asia. I guess we shouldn’t be buying anyone then. Just in case.

• 4 Rainrix // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Jesper from Previous….. I know especially when the Brazilian fans have so much passion for the game as well. Its a brilliant spectacle when the fans continue to belt out their anthem even when the music stops. And then to have your team to capitulate like that on the pitch :(

• 5 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Lilongwe

I never knew so many matches had been scrutinized by Europol.

• 6 IITianToon // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I just think that Brazil were mentally all over the place. Hence they conceded 4 in 6 minutes.

And Fred? I just hope him and his family survive the tirade of abuse, insults and even violence that might come; although I pray to God it doesn’t.

• 7 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Big Phil messed up big time yesterday, Maicon and Marcelo were playing as wingers from the moment the game kicked off. Selection of players like Hulk and Fred over Ramires and Willian were just baffling.

Big Phil should have taken Lucas Moura with him instead of Bernard who looked awful considering Shaktar want £30m for him. They could have done with a Kaka, Ronaldinho or Robinho as back up to Neymar. Surely in Brazil they have a better CF than Fred though!! Bottom line though Big Phil got it horribly wrong

• 8 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Lilongwe and others

I am merely stating my opinion, based on what has most recently been highlighted at the world cup. It isnt just the corruption either, the whole threatening strikes because of unpaid bonuses is a factor too. This happened with more than one african team. I am concerned about the plays attitude in general. I do not think my comment was rediculous at all.

• 9 firebug666 // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I read somewhere this morning that Debuchy has cut his holiday short and is at a secret location in London and due for his medical today.

• 10 The next Mike Williamson // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Why sign Ayoze Perez who has a reputation for scoring goals and is only going to get better, and then bring in Joel Campbell on loan who has an atrocious scoring record in Greece, Spain, and France.

I’d rather give Perez, Armstrong, Vuckic, or Campbell games and develop our own players. Campbell was only worth about £0.5m before he got that one goal in the World Cup

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Jazzyp mate…a reason more why Ashley should invest heavily in our youth setup because we are going need British players at some point, and bringing them through yourself (like SOTON) is much more satisfying and affordable wouldn’t you say? :)

• 12 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM

The Next Mike Williamson

If you did your research you’d find Campbell almost always played out wide or behind the ST but never as a out and out forward. Perez was playing in the 2nd division and Campbell helped Betis get into Europa League then he helped Olympiakos win the title as well as performing very well in the Champions League, big difference with Perez

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Markaccus,
    The striking over bonuses is an odd one. To some of the players in the squads it is peanuts. To others it will be more than their annual wage at the club. You could either take it as greed or solidarity I guess.

The ridiculous part is you are using this to focus on an entire continent. The second biggest continent at that. Players have gone on strike in Europe over money, over not getting moves, over not being selected. As I have said matches are under investigation for being fixed all over.

That is without mentioning the fact that no betting firms have reported suspicious activity, and it has already been said that there is little to no evidence to support these claims – unlike in Europe where they have uncovered criminal networks linked to it.

Anyway, I’m off out now. Catch you all later.

• 14 Ben3arfa // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM

8m + permanent deal for campbell is about fair I reckon. Or 11m + loan deal .

Rather the first deal though

• 15 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Markaccus

I wasn’t having a pop at you mate but was merely asking you if you thought corruption was rife in football at all levels, I gave you examples of Italy club teams though!!

• 16 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Ben3Arfa

I don’t even think Campbell is part of the deal is he?

• 17 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Lilong

All i am suggesting is to keep away until this ‘odd’ behaviour is cleared up. Nufc have a dodgy owner and sponsor already and more question marks we do not need.

anyway, catch you later. Have a good day :)

• 18 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Our toon

yeah its ok. My statement was quite sweeping so i understand it could be taken differently than i intended.I just meant we should back off, especially in our current moral situation, until the whole picture is clearer.

• 19 bobby mango // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Does it make any difference? Ashley wouldn’t spend anymore if we got 20m

I really hope we get Campbell and Jenkinson in the deal… Only hope of getting players.

• 20 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM

As to the italian teams, when that hit the news (five years ago now? Something like that) i would have said “keep away from italian players”.
    The reason i grouped africa together was because it was more than one international team. Maybe i should have said Ghanians and Nigerians :D

• 21 jpe1985 // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Amazed to see criticism of Campbell’s scoring stats.. he got 11 goals in 37 appearances last season.. hardly a “atrocious” goalscoring record for a winger? The fact that he scored a worldy against Man United last season and 2 long range efforts against Spain last year in a 2-2 draw would suggest hes done abit more than score one goal at a WC.. and winning a league title in his first season in Greece would suggest hes got far more potential than the players suggested…

• 22 Ben3arfa // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Hey guys I dont get the fascination with Jenkinson, is it because he is English?

I’ve watched him play for arsenal on a few occasions and hes always looked to slow and doesnt offer anything going forward, questionable premiere league standard but may be a good player in the championship.

• 23 toonboyjake // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Friend of mine is an agent, represented Xisco before his brother took over, told me were offered De Guzman for £6m and have turned it down for now, apparently we are trying to push through other deals instead

• 24 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Not mine but made me laugh.

Big Phil will be on the phone to Pardew here, the master of excuses is needed to put a positive twist on this.

‘Well I fought the boys kept going and we was unlucky with the shape of the ball being round, they’re facckiinn gutted in there and I fought we was worf a draw until they stuck the seventh in. Rest assured we’ll be working hard in training midweek to put it right.’

• 25 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM

jake

that’s a shame, good little player

• 26 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Markaccus

I know what you mean mate, Lilongwe and I had a discussion when I had a go at Eto’o etc. for refusing to play and then the Ghanians did the same thing….it seems as though collectively they want the money for the less well-off players in the squad. My opinion was that the richer players shouldn’t be playing for money but rather for national pride and forfeit money by giving it to the lads less well off.

Unfortunately we will never understand the dynamics of players for other nations, what I will say is that they still showed more heart than our lads on the pitch!!

• 27 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM

ben3arfa

the only time i really saw jenkinson arsenal lost 8-2 and he was shocking, a bit like when leon best scored a hat trick playing against West ham’s Tompkins.

• 28 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Rotonda

The one thing that really stood out to me after the game last night was the Barzilian huddle….Big Phil was trying to calm the players down (Oscar in particular who couldn’t stop crying) and pointing to himself, it looked as if he was saying I will take the responsibiltiy for this not you guys!! No doubt big Phil got it horribly wrong and he acknowleded yesterday, when I awoke today to read his comments they sounded like an opinion of an honest man. He took full responsibility for the defeat and acknowleged that he got it wrong not the players, he also refused to blame the Neymar injury by stating Neymar wouldn’t have helped stop the 7 goals. Credit to the manager who decided that the full wrath of a nation should be on him, he knows he’s won a world cup 2002, he has an invincible reputation which has been tarnished but he will never be massively criticised or vilified by the nation as he will never be forgotten for both this world cup and for the one he won!!

What would Percy have done in that situation?

• 29 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM

not barzilian but Brazilian

• 30 toonboyjake // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Rotonda i know, think we could’ve done with a player of his quality, creates and scores for Swansea , apparently charnley (however it’s spelt) seemed confident of other signings though

• 31 gaz 44 // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM

From earlier thread I wish I was pardews spokesman reckon its a cracking job just blame everyone else but him but he already does that so be a pointless job..
    The thing is Nolan is probably a pardew type player works hard and battles I think the main problem is, whether I agree with pardews tactics or not is the players we are buying aren’t his choice therefor aren’t necessarily going to fit his tactics . I’d love to have a top draw manager who can work with any type of player but that isnt going to happen while pardew is a cheap alterbative . was interesting to hear him say he handed in his resignation after Andy Carroll left though as I just thought he was Ashley’s yes man

• 32 JAMSHA // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM

L’Equipe: Jordan Ayew available for
    about €4m, St Etienne and Lille
    interested, but also interest from
    abroad, they claim

• 33 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM

mavientes (Newcastle United): And yet people still back Pardew. This is why the club for the past 2 seasons has plummeted in style and results.

All these 2 players have done is criticise Pardew for his tactics and lack of playing time, all of which were spot on reasons. And Mr ego instead of saying okay then prove me wrong, goes and dumps them, just like he did with Cisse (in favour for Ba) and Santon and plays the likes of Gosling and Ameobi ahead of them.

He destroys any individuality, any technique and any desire in our flair players because of his My way or the Highway negative defensive tactics.

And tuutlebom is right, as long as Pardew stays, talent will get wasted. Be interesting to see how long it takes him to destroy Siem.

Yet you’ll get the same people saying give him a chance, I mean he’s been here 4 years now and yet apparently he still needs a ‘chance’. pfft Pardew destroys players and teams.

• 34 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Our toon

despite what the media et.c would say, i actually think England played better attacking football than brazil have managed in the tournament for the most part. Rooney himself said we have played worse in majots and still got through! There was a handful of players who did not try hard enough. A handful is all it takes at this level. I still think woy did the right thing taking the kids, i just hope these kids play regularly for their clubs in the next two years or else its pointless

• 35 mike fat ashley // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:20 AM

CAN WE NOT SELL ASHLEY I WONDER HOW MUCH WE WOULD GET FOR HIM

• 36 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Our toon,

I knew as soon as big phil said before the columbia game that Brazil had one hand on the trophy that they were doomed!!

I expected germany to win a cagey 2-1 or 1-0 and the loss of Neymar and possibly more importantly Thiago Silva killed them. Dante and Luiz were absolutely pathetic.

For me though all tournament scholari didn’t have Brazil playing in their usual exuberant 3-4-3 style at all.

Big phil is a notorious homophobe and apparently a little bit dated now in his coaching methods, a bit like Del Bosque for Spain where the modern era has caught up and taken over.

I think brazil will come again but like us now desperately need a modern, progressive manager to take them forward again.

To acknowledge your point though it was a refreshingly honest and candid response from scholari and far removed from any semblance of decency we could expect from pardew.

• 37 dazzler // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I wish this would just end now. The longer it takes the more likely we’ll here the couldn’t get en over the line

• 38 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Gaz 44

Percy never handed his resignation in to the board, he made such a statement because it was embarrassing for him that AC left especially when he said he would definitely not be leaving. That was Percy’s way of getting onside with the fans who weren’t sure about his appointment to start with.

Jamsha – Jordan Ayew…..hmm I don’t like him at all, even more so now after the WC. Do you remember the German game? Ayew and Asamoah were up against 1 German defender, all Ayew has to do is square the ball to an unmarked Gyan Asamoah which would have put Ghana 3-1 up and won the game for them, instead he went it alone and hit a shocking shot straight to Neuer….Germans scored within 5 minutes and Ghana ended up going out of the WC on goal difference. Jordan Ayew could have put his NATION through to the next round but went for personal glory….I hope players like him rot away and never play for our club!!

• 39 Scottiedog // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Confusion!!! Really!!!

How the hell can Debuchy go for £8m when Lovren could be going to Liverpool for £25m!?!?!?!?!?!?

Joke!!

• 40 Phatoon // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:34 AM

erm no thanks!

• 41 gaz 44 // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Our toon that came from Kevin Nolan so I believe it he’s no need to make it up

• 42 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Even the outgoings take forever FFS .

• 43 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Rotonda

I think Big Phil was far too optimistic in thinking they could attack the Germans but leave 2 CB’s as cover against Klose, the Germans movement did for Brazil shocking to witness but agree with you that they were doomed from the moment he made his comments!!

• 44 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Markaccus – I think we (England) played well at the WC but I certainly have an issue with Woy. I would never have taken Stevie Gerrard as he is past his best same with Lampard, can anyone explain the purpose of playing Lampard in the final game and how that will benefit England? I’m all for giving players a send-off but Lampard and Gerrard were part of a golden generation that failed to deliver, I don’t see why we rewarded them for their failure.

Rooney is the classic case of an overrated and overhyped British player that has gone backwards rather than forwards since his introduction to the world in his very first Euros. Players like Sterling were praised and I have to say I wasn’t impressed with him at all, he gave the ball away far to often, Lallana looked well out of place at the world cup. Lambert should have played more though!! We tried to attack but only scored 2 goals in 3 games

• 45 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Gaz44

How would Nolan know? Did Nolan help him write his resignation letter? Nolan is AC best mate he was obviously peeved that he’d been sold. Percy “sorry Kev I didn’t want to sell him, I have tendered my resignation in protest to this sale” and the idiot Nolan believed him!!

• 46 gaz 44 // Jul 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Thing is our toon I feel Nolan will have known more about what went on than you so after having a few beers with him other week I’ll take his word for it

• 47 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Gaz 44

No problem mate but I doubt very much the players are kept in the loop with anything that goes on behind the scenes at the club unless it’s about playing. Could you please ask your drinking buddy if Percy told him about the resignation? The same Percy who apparently said his captain (Nolan) was key to him and that we’d be offering him a new deal. The same manager who said Cabaye was the owners favourite player and that he won’t be sold?

Can you also ask Nolan if the rumour of players signing a Non-Disclosure agreement are true? If so why is he breaking it by telling you that Pardew tendered his resignation!!

• 48 gaz 44 // Jul 9, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I had a few beers in Portugal and I think having a few beers n a chat isn’t going to get him in any sort of trouble, Barton’s said a lot more and nothing been done by the club has there , also pardew never said cabaye wouldn’t be sold so stop making things up to suit your opinions.. I’m not pard’s biggest fan by any stretch but all I remember him saying is he would never say never after the Andy Carroll situation

• 49 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Our toon

I have more patience with roy, for now. The experiment is to give the young ones (who definitely showed inexperience) a taste of big tournaments. Hopefully this will work and create an exciting team for the next few majors. I agree gerrard was poor this time, and i wouldnt have taken him. Hopefully lalana and stirling et.c have gained from this. If we turn out to be hopeless in the euros then we can say woys experiment has failed. We had to try something, though.

• 50 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2014 at 12:25 PM

we could have signed michu !!!

• 51 Bambams // Jul 9, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I have absolutely no doubt that we will be getting nearer to £12 million but Ash will not want us to know this, that prevents the fans becoming annoyed and asking where ‘The Money’ has gone, just like Carroll fee Cabaye fee Ba fee…….
    I think our club is the only club that we never know how much we have paid for a player, always undisclosed fee.

He is just greedy for money and we are just part of his earning conveyor belt !
    IMO

• 52 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Gaz 44

Pards did say we wouldn’t sell Cabaye as he was MA’s favorite player, that was after his first season with us and reports were rife that big clubs would come in for him!! We then proceeded to tell the world that every player including Perchino would be sold at £25m minimum. As for Nolan he can’t/shouldn’t make comments in passing to anyone as he has a ND agreement, no matter who he is speaking to. Joey Barton sharp shut up when reminded of this, as did Carroll and Cabaye quickly reminded the media of….ask JFK what happened as it will never come out of my mouth!!

Pards changed his stance on Carroll on multiple occasions, when he first came on board as manager he said he wouldn’t sell him.

Bottom line is that Percy has ZERO say on who does get sold especially when the right price is met, he is a YES man….he knew that from day 1 and MA has been true to his word by sticking by his YES man!!

Nolan was so much in the loop that he didn’t get the 5 year deal instead was offered a 1 year deal, he was so much in the loop that he hadn’t realised we changed our policy to young and sell able assets rather than old not valuable wages hoarders that offer very little resale value

• 53 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Markaccus

i agree mate younger lads is defo the way forward, shame chamberlain got injured but Woy is out of depth as England Manager though!! We shall see how we progress from here

Rotonda – Michu would be a class signing

Bambams – Fortunately for us the other club we negotiate with will almost always release/leak the sale info such as a rough price with add ons etc. It would be impossible for fatman to keep it quiet as he’d like to!!

• 54 beermonkey // Jul 9, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Subs
    Taylor
    Anita
    Sammy
    Arma
    Elliot.
    If we get a few injuries at the same time were gona struggle again. also need a 15-20 goals a season striker.
    Where is all the money you fat Bastard.

• 56 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Personally would not be happy if Campbell turns out to be our striker option.

He’s being overhyped because of the world cup. one decent tournament does not make a great player. We cannot afford to take these risks.

Bendtner was better than Campbell has shown at his age.

• 57 santonthenewmaldini // Jul 9, 2014 at 1:59 PM

A lot of transfer rumour sites linking Sissoko with Liverpool would break my heart to see another great player leave to play for Scouse scum !!!

• 58 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Our Toon

Have to be realistic. We probably held on to Cabaye as long as we could.

Rumours abound that after the Arsenal situation last summer, we had a gentlemans agreement in place to let him leave if an acceptable bid came in.

That explains why the fee was relatively low.

Have to face it we cant keep hold of good players unless we show ambition.

Southampton have shown ambition yet their best players are still leaving.

Brian Clough used to sell players at their peak all the time. Fans would question it but it proved that they never went on to achieve the same performances once they moved.

Cabaye was at the height of his career. But he will start to dwindle in 2 season and at his age it would be smart to take the money so long as we replaced.

Debuchy is the same.

The model is fine even if it allows no rooms for sentimentality. The implementation is what needs to change.

• 59 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:02 PM

santonthenewmaldini

Anywhere but there.

Not that we develop good players, but they cant develop or scout them it seems.

• 60 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:03 PM

LGFUAD21

Hardly just the WC. He has been consistently good on loan for the last 3 seasons, has a lot of pace, skill and mobility, with some people now valuing him at 16m.

pardew would play him as a wing back though.

• 61 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:05 PM

The model is fine even if it allows no rooms for sentimentality. The MANAGER is what needs to change.

• 62 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:05 PM

ED

PLEASE GET AN ARTICLE UP ABOUT BUSINESS LAW AND THE STRUCTURE OF BUSINESSES.

SICK OF READING COMMENTS BY MUPPETS ON HERE ABOUT PUTTING MONEY INTO ASHLEYS POCKET.

I DISLIKE THE WAY THE CLUB IS BEING RUN BUT I FEAR READING THIS BLOG IS MAKING ME MORE STUPID BY THE SECOND

• 63 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Rotonda heights

Manager = hence “implementation”. It goes beyond Pardew though he is useless.

The standard of the coaching at all levels needs work too.

Campbell has had 3 distinctly average seasons in poor leagues. Please stop drinking the kool aid.

If i found a player with better stats playing the championship and then asked if youd pay £7m+ for him you’d be kicking and screaming about how poor the player is.

• 64 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Yeah ed do it but do it in CAPITALS for us mere muppets please

• 65 santonthenewmaldini // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:10 PM

@LGFUAD

Yeah it just seems over the years the Toon has become a total feeder club for Liverpool would rather Sissoko to anyone but them !

I agree with the model about us signing players etc because it works for : Dortmund, Porto, Ajax, Lille, Twente , Benfica , Celtic and whole host of clubs the difference is they have a manager who can bring youngsters through and play good football

Also they will sign players when they sell someone but a big part of it is bringing through replacements from the academy and Pardew is just not that man

• 66 musomag // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:17 PM

FICTION

• 67 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Average_Contents

Sorry hate to have to resort to capitals but so many people on here commenting about stuff they clearly have no idea about.

I’m not sticking up for MA at all. I just think people need to understand how it works.

MA cannot easily simply be pocketing the money. It is all in the club and has to be accounted for somewhere. It is likely sitting in the bank as capital.

The issue is the reluctance to spend the money. NOT the money being taken out of the club by MA. To do that in the manner people talk about it here would be an illegal activity.

Read any personal profile on MA and you will find a million sources saying he does not trust people thats why he employs yes men. If he had a MD he could trust that had a good understanding of both business and football (like cortese) that he would be willing to back with the entire running of the club from signing off checks to appointments. He would have a very sound model in place.

• 68 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM

LFGUAD

I know we can’t hold onto players mate, in fact no club in the world can hold onto players as everyone has there price. I was merely commenting on Percy being a compulsive liar to Gaz who claimed Nolan told him that Percy handed in a resignation letter when Carroll was sold. If you read the comments further up it becomes clearer.

As for Campbell, he had 3 solid seasons in 3 different leagues, he also gave excellent performances in the CL probably the best club competition going, now he’s had a good world cup!!

• 69 anthc // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I would politely tell liverfool where to go. How come when we buy these players the likes of liverfool and arsenal are nowhere to be seen. Seriously these players should show some loyalty for more than just 18 months whether we’re a stepping stone or not. We pay the wages and should they leave it should be on our terms. Sissoko signed a six year deal within a heartbeat. Anyway why do liverfool need another midfielder?

• 70 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:30 PM

santonthenewmaldini

That’s precisely what I’m saying.

I admire Arsenal for the way that they run the club and Southampton.

It seems like thats what MA aspires to do but he just doesnt have the people in place to do it. We need our own Wenger or Cortese to get that in place.

Cruyf set Ajax up with the philosophy that all levels from youth to first team played the same systems with the same philosophy to the game. It meant he could get away with selling key players and promoting from within and raising enough money to bring in star players to plug the gaps.

He then did it at Barcelona and look where they are.

But to do that you have to have the right coaches in place and not rely on packing a squad full of decent players. You have to be prepared to educate players in the game rather than rely on their internal ability.

• 71 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:32 PM

LGFUAD

Sorry for the misspelling mate. I have my own business and deal with other MD’s….trust me there are loopholes to which companies can use to hide or distort large sums of money. E.g SD charging NUFC for holding merchandise in warehouses, to think that the rich don’t have ways of exploiting money laundering techniques is completely bonkers mate.

• 72 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Our Toon

Sorry misread your comment. The reality we will never know what goes on. Pardew needs this job too much to rock the boat is my guess.

3 different leagues is a good point. But the Greek league is hardly the creme de la creme (Championship at best dominated by 2 teams).

He has a handful of decent performance in Europe. I’m sure Shola had a few of those.

He’s had an ok world cup as part of a well organised team. It’s not like he’s the reason CR got to the quarters. It was a team effort like we saw with Swansea.

I think he looks a decent young prospect but for the fee it would take its not worth it.

Everybody on this blog 2 years ago was going on about how LDJ would be our saviour. He eventually came and look at what happened. I just think people jump on bandwagons way too quickly.

Fair enough if we had scouted Campbell like Arsenal did and signed him for pennies but for the fee it would take to get him, I wouldnt bother.

Jean Michael Aulas (President of Lyon) has 10 transfer rules. One of them:

Do not sign players that have just been to the world cup.

They are often overrated and over priced. I believe this to be the case with Campbell.

• 73 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Look at the decisions MA has made, bottom line is that we are a marketing tool for SD, look at SD’s fortune since MA took over us compared to NUFC

• 74 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Ed- can you please do a post about Business law and accounts. I’m sick of reading comments on here from people who think they know how to run a business and know in detail the accounts of NUFC/SD and the host of other connected companies. This is typified by people (non Americans) who think that a cheque is called a check. DUH!

• 75 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Our Toon

You are correct this can happen. That is not my point.

Its comments like “Straight into his pocket” that frustrate me.

It’s very difficult to launder money. When MA has so many more profitable assets why would he take the risks or time syphon off what is likely pennies in relation to other revenue streams for him.

With the rate at which his wealth has increased you can guarantee somebody is likely keeping an eye on him.

All that said. I am happy to have this debate with you and can respect your opinion because you clearly know about things like these.

• 76 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I have no idea as to what Campbell’s value is. will be interesting to see how he progresses and I agree never sign a player based on the WC. Although the Greek league isn’t strong but he helped Betis get into the Europa league. He’s young with bags of potential.

Origi the Belgian kid is off to Liverpool for £10m apparently, kids with potential are valuable assets

• 77 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Our toon and LGF

I would like to see an article on this too. I know sod all about business, and personally hate it when this blog descends into what i can only describe as “amateur accountants hour” with people blustering on about skimming, laundering, cheating, asset stripping et.c et.c.

• 78 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:48 PM

LGFUAD

I agree with you when you mention fans saying he’s pocketed the money, it’s a nonsense statement to make as its impossible to pocket such amounts!! MA is in a good place as he can move money around all kinds of his companies for services which may never have occurred, its tough to do but that’s why people such as him have trusted money men around them as well as corrupt officials who get paid to look the other way.

These kinds of things can be so complex….so for someone to say he’s pocketed it is just outright ridiculous!!

• 79 Our Toon // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM

The Birmingham owner was unlucky but he was also arrogant as he refused to pay people off and got stung for it!!

• 80 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Reviere from Monaco being bandied about today. Name rings a bell, were we linked with him last year? He fancies England, but is a fan of Arsenal apparently

• 81 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Mister Tuff

Sorry Tuffs. I mispelt it. Easy mistake for an outdated instrument. Forgive me I am young.

I am however a Director of two companies turning over a combined £3m yearly. I dont claim to know it all but I certainly know a bit more than most on here.

So by “think they know how to run a business” do you mean “…are running a successful business.”

I dont know the accounts of the club inside out. But this sheep mentality adopted on here based on misunderstanding is dangerous.

“Stop going to games and buying strips, that’ll hurt MA in his pocket”

Will it f&*k. It’ll hurt the Legal entity that is Newcastle United, which when it is then struggling ton pay its bills will have no white knight there to pay out of his own pocket based on the respect he gets (deservedly or else).

We’ll then be forced to liquidate assets including players (bye bye Colo, you want to pay how much for Krul?)

Best case, we end up like Nottingham Forest content to play in the Championship, worst case we cease to exist.

Remember when Blackburn fans stopped going to games in their relegation season. Great load of good that did them didnt it?

• 82 JamesToon // Jul 9, 2014 at 2:59 PM

LGFUAD21

I totally agree, i still think there is a way to go forward under Ashley if he sees the right things to do.

1. Sack Pardew, appoint a top modern manager who can bring a new exciting philosophy and install it right to the grass roots so that we can do an ajax and just recycle players through the youth system.

2. Bring Charnley back down to director, and appoint Nicola Cortese as managing director, he worked wonders at Southampton and developed them as a club, knows how to run a business and has a football mind.

3. Appoint a good director of football, who knows his stuff, can employ the the right people to run the club.

• 83 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Our Toon

Indeed Kids are valuable assets. Unfortunately I’m yet to see us develop one. I wish we could.

I do fear for the likes of Perez. Looks a very promising youngster.

Markaccus

I wouldnt start if you never have. It’s an endless pit of perpetual boredom. I try and stay away from accounts as much as possible. I will try and find something for you though.

• 84 Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Perez at 19 and Armstrong at 18 should be in the first team and competing for places, even with the 2 new strikers. In any other country, at their age they would fighting for first team places.
    It’s the typical Molly coddling and cowardice that has seen us with Ferguson, Ameobi, Dummett and Tavernier at 22 pushing 23 contributing absolutely nothing or very little.
    If they’re not good enough to play at 19/20 ship them out.

• 85 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:15 PM

LGFUAD21 – I thought my bait -well cast would get a response.
    My position is that none of us know the ins and outs of the clubs accounts and that the average accountant would be lost off in checking exactly what the accounts reveal or do not reveal.
    You may know the ins and outs of your own businesses and woud swear everything is above board -as you could well do with personal knowledge/involvement in your own company -none of us can do it with NUFC.
    I recall the last FF meeting, I think it was, whilst I cannot remember the exact phrase -it was along the lines of something done for financial purposes -which in my opinion was a synonym for fiddling/avoiding tax. It was unclear whether the benefactor was the club, SD or anyone else.
    We have the monies going from NUFC to SD £500,000 or thereabouts (club shop)-this was explained as it was beneficial as SD could bulk purchase/wharehouse ect. This would indeed be correct due to ther buying power -however non of us have seen accounts to complete the trail of £500,000 worth of goods coming the other way. Things may be legitimate -but we as observers from the outside cannot possibly know one way or another.
    I have done several posts on here about the failings of large accountancy firms such as Deloittes, KPMG to miss “errors” in accounts.

• 86 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Nothing’s happening. We need at least 6 new players:

Jaanmat/Richards
    Alderweireld
    Cabella
    Grenier
    Remy
    Lukaku/Benteke

We should also go for Konoplyanka.

• 87 Bearsize // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Hi guys was sorting out my final arrangements for my wedding at the grand hotel in tynemouth and went for a walk on the beach with the family. The toon players were training on the beach. Pardew was there as was the whole first team and development squad. My lass got some good videos of them. Sdj was there but as u may have guessed HBA and mauvaux weren’t there i looked twenty times through the squad and double checked on the videos.

• 88 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:21 PM

LGFUAD21…then that is where we will end up !

…maybe Ashley won’t find it that fulfilling anymore and we nay have to start rebuilding.

What would you suggest fans / supporters should do?

This was never about hurting his pocket but making a stand. To show some God damn conviction instead of just keeping on going to SJP sitting in the same seats your dad and granddad sat in just because they are too good to give up!

Just my opinion :)

• 89 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:22 PM

LGF

Yeah i dont really have an accounting interest, but like you say dome sort of clue as to how it basically works would be good for people on here to know, because as you and our toon has said, there are some seemingly spurious accusations that pop up on here, durng the affore mentioned amateur accountants hour. As far as i can tell the only thing that is actually HEALTHY at nufc is the bank ballance!!

• 90 lukes26 // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I justbwatched a documentary

• 91 lesh // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Oh gawd, Bearsize.

So near yet so far. Preparing for your wedding at the Grand or a walk on the beach at Tynemouth?

In hindsight, I think I’d have carried on walking – north of course!

Best of luck and I wish you and your intended every good wish for your future.

The way things are, marriage probably beats being tied to NUFC!

• 92 Jail for Ashley // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:37 PM

It definitely seems that nothing is being done for the good of the team only for the books, if SDJ is any good he will be gone after two seasons, the only players left are those not good enough to be moved on, wanna be accountants yatter yatter, Mashley is not here for a hobby so is gaining something from us

• 93 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Bearsize…congratulations on your wedding :)

…a shame Pardue was there! One can always hope can he not?

• 94 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:39 PM

@NUFC_Stats: Le10 Sport have reported today that NUFC have already been in contact with Monaco regarding French U21 international Emmanuel Riviere #nufc

• 95 lukes26 // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I just watched The Four Year Plan about QPR’s emergence from near bankruptcy. The billionaires who saved the club completely mismanaged it at first.Even though they saved the club from ruin, they were painted as villains and the fans would never forgive them. Although they eventually get qpr promoted, this is seen as success in spite of their efforts.

I couldnt help thinking that this is exactly the situation Nufc are in right now. Ashley is a saviour in terms of absolving debts, but will always be the villain because of his mismanagement. Your typical football fan doesnt do nuisance. Nuisance isnt as emotionally satisfy ing.

• 96 Bearsize // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Lol cheers lads. Was gonna ask pards for a selfie for the dart board but i got scared and bottled it. Enjoy ur day

• 97 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM

The return of the Ketsy list!

Alderwiereld signed just last year for athletico madrid on a 4 year contract. How on earth do you even hope to sign him? Loic Remy had first hand experience of how shocking NUFC actually is. In which universe would he ever sign for us?

• 98 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Congrats bearsize. Good luck

• 99 santonthenewmaldini // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Has anyone considered the lack of height in our team this season ? With no Luuk or Shola there is no one for Pardew to hoof it to!?!?

Perhaps we will need to play it on the deck all the time unless we have a big man getting signed soon ?

We look really small at the back as well in terms of aerial power apart from Willo

• 100 the truth will out // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:59 PM

we are in deep doo-doo

• 101 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I don’t claim to know the in’s and outs of accountancy but in order for us to have made a “profit” of £9.9m last calender year, amortisation occurred which is just a fancy, albeit law abiding way of saying we fiddled with the money and came up with this! Who knows what it actually was!

There has to be untold ways for fatty to squirrel money out of the club and if people think this isn’t possible then that’s up to them but with his near 30 years experience of shafting people I’m pretty sure that fatty and his merry band of yes men have managed to do just that! I should imagine with the resources at his disposal that anything is possible and experts would be able to cover any tracks left

Basically he answers to no one and does what he likes….what makes people think he operates 100% correct all of the time or doesn’t exploit his standing for personal gain within business circles.

As has been reported on here many a time, even the majority shareholders of his company are worried that he’s not being kept in check and there isn’t any governance at board level, as I said he does what he wants and unfortunately for us fans we end up being the ones that suffer for it!

This leads us to the mistrust that currently exists imo

Just my take on it but I don’t trust him as far as I could throw him which wouldn’t be at all!

• 102 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Sorry about the super long post on bet you thought TDS was back ;-)

• 103 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Blog killer extraordinaire lol

• 104 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM

santonthenewmaldini

Play it on the deck – what’s that ? lol !!!
    Beautiful dream though.

• 105 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Anyway

Blog killers – out

Accountants – out

TDS – out….oh wait

Tree huggers – out

Casual racists – out

Welsh – out ha ha ha

Anyone who disagrees with me – out

• 106 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:13 PM

You broke my sequence

Rotunda – out

• 107 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Rotonda! Fcuking phone took all the gloss off

• 108 Average_Contents // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Is this what the TROLL feels like when no one talks to him? No wonder he’s a annoying little spunktrumpet ;-)

• 109 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2014 at 3:15 PM

LGFUAD21 – I thought my bait -well cast would get a response.

I tip my hat to you sir.

And I wasnt actually aware of the FF part. Interesting. I smell a conspiracy.

• 110 santonthenewmaldini // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Speaking of arguments on the blog not heard from Ciaran and ToonDarnSarf for a while………..

• 111 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM

lukes26

Aye. Good documentary and the guys behind the club did save it and never got the respect for that.

Had they left the club in the hands of one person it would have worked out better but unfortunately that seemed a case of too many cooks spoil the broth.

• 112 LGFUAD21 // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

“LGFUAD21…then that is where we will end up !

What would you suggest fans / supporters should do?

Just my opinion :)”

And do you have any experience of phoenixing. Which is what the practice is known as.

If we were in Italy it wouldnt be a big deal but again, look at Leeds Utd. And they are one of the phoenixed clubs to have come out better than most.

• 113 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM

LGFUAD

Tbh I think the ”Arsenal of the North ”model is excellent.

I have no problem with wanting to sell on players when they have reached their maximum price value and then replacing them organically from within with exceptional well coached young talent.

However, for this to work you don’t have the likes of Pardew, Stone and carver anywhere near the club, as that lot combined couldn’t develop a cold.

1) You get a good D.O.F, ie a Cortsese or maybe Hoddle, a bit left field but knows his stuff.

2) A young up and coming and hungry manger who has already showed signs of achieving things and is up to speed with modern tactics etc

3) A modern coaching staff. Maybe we do actually have this already with the 3 Elite coaches at the lower age group.

4) A competent MD.

5) A reputable sponsor

6) Develop and integrate far more widely with the fanbase.

Sadly we fail on all the above requisites, perhaps most of all with a ”fit and proper owner”

previous post: Now We Know Why Newcastle Are Playing Oldham