Some Confusion Over Debuchy Fee From Gunners

There has been recent news this week that maybe the fee for Debuchy has not yet been agreed between Arsenal and Newcastle, and certainly the recent news that Mathieu could go for only £8M with a £2M bonus based on the number of first team games he plays for the Gunners, was disappointing to Geordie fans.

mathieu debuchy 987

Mathieu Debuchy – how much are we getting for him?

The transfer fee Mike Ashley was supposed to want for the French International right-back was a nice £12M, and that would have doubled the fee we paid Lille for him a short 18 months ago – and would have been an excellent deal for Newcastle.

And if the fee rises to £10M over time that’s an OK deal – but not a ridiculous price to pay for one of the best right backs in the Premier League last season – and Newcastle should be in the business of selling our best players for ridiculous fees – like the Andy Carroll deal three and a half years ago with Liverpool.

We are hoping that Newcastle are busy trying to drive a hard bargain this week, and the news yesterday in the Chronicle was that Newcastle were offered Costa Rica striker Joel Campbell as part of the deal – and we hope that news is true.

There was also news  yesterday that Debuchy had passed his medical at Arsenal, but for that to happen a fee would have to have been agreed between the clubs.

We suppose some deal will still be announced before the end of this week, but Mike Ashley needs to continue to play hard ball (Mike’s good at that), and get the very best deal he can from Arsenal – since other clubs are still interested in Debuchy.

Then the Newcastle owner needs to spend the money he gets for Mathieu on other players in the squad – and at some point this summer we need to somehow bring in three good strikers.

Maybe the very best deal for Newcastle is to get Joel Campbell on board on a permanent basis – and get some money in addition to that for the 25 times capped French right-back.

What do you think?

Written while on (a hectic) vacation in England. 😀

• Rainrix

Jul 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Kinda reminds me of when enrique left. He was one of the best Lbs in the league when we sold him and that was for pretty much what we payed for him in the first place. You’d think ash would want maximum profit so he can go and not invest it back in the team 😐

• Lew Davies

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Debs maybe shouldn’t have deleted #NUFC from his twitter account so quickly.
    Could be embarrassing for him if Fatty drives a hard bargain and Arsenal pulls out of the deal.
    Mmmwwaaahahahaha.
    :D:

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Markaccus, Repost
    What a ridiculous comment (previous thread, not signing Africans because of match fixing)!! You do realise Europol are currently investigating 680 matches, with 380 of them taking place in Europe, some in the Champions league and in England? The other 300 are spread over South America, Africa and Asia. I guess we shouldn’t be buying anyone then. Just in case.

• Rainrix

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Jesper from Previous….. I know especially when the Brazilian fans have so much passion for the game as well. Its a brilliant spectacle when the fans continue to belt out their anthem even when the music stops. And then to have your team to capitulate like that on the pitch 🙁

• Our Toon

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Lilongwe

I never knew so many matches had been scrutinized by Europol.

• IITianToon

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I just think that Brazil were mentally all over the place. Hence they conceded 4 in 6 minutes.

And Fred? I just hope him and his family survive the tirade of abuse, insults and even violence that might come; although I pray to God it doesn’t.

• Our Toon

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Big Phil messed up big time yesterday, Maicon and Marcelo were playing as wingers from the moment the game kicked off. Selection of players like Hulk and Fred over Ramires and Willian were just baffling.

Big Phil should have taken Lucas Moura with him instead of Bernard who looked awful considering Shaktar want £30m for him. They could have done with a Kaka, Ronaldinho or Robinho as back up to Neymar. Surely in Brazil they have a better CF than Fred though!! Bottom line though Big Phil got it horribly wrong

• Markaccus

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Lilongwe and others

I am merely stating my opinion, based on what has most recently been highlighted at the world cup. It isnt just the corruption either, the whole threatening strikes because of unpaid bonuses is a factor too. This happened with more than one african team. I am concerned about the plays attitude in general. I do not think my comment was rediculous at all.

• firebug666

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I read somewhere this morning that Debuchy has cut his holiday short and is at a secret location in London and due for his medical today.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Why sign Ayoze Perez who has a reputation for scoring goals and is only going to get better, and then bring in Joel Campbell on loan who has an atrocious scoring record in Greece, Spain, and France.

I’d rather give Perez, Armstrong, Vuckic, or Campbell games and develop our own players. Campbell was only worth about £0.5m before he got that one goal in the World Cup

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Jazzyp mate…a reason more why Ashley should invest heavily in our youth setup because we are going need British players at some point, and bringing them through yourself (like SOTON) is much more satisfying and affordable wouldn’t you say? 🙂

• Our Toon

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM

The Next Mike Williamson

If you did your research you’d find Campbell almost always played out wide or behind the ST but never as a out and out forward. Perez was playing in the 2nd division and Campbell helped Betis get into Europa League then he helped Olympiakos win the title as well as performing very well in the Champions League, big difference with Perez

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Markaccus,
    The striking over bonuses is an odd one. To some of the players in the squads it is peanuts. To others it will be more than their annual wage at the club. You could either take it as greed or solidarity I guess.

The ridiculous part is you are using this to focus on an entire continent. The second biggest continent at that. Players have gone on strike in Europe over money, over not getting moves, over not being selected. As I have said matches are under investigation for being fixed all over.

That is without mentioning the fact that no betting firms have reported suspicious activity, and it has already been said that there is little to no evidence to support these claims – unlike in Europe where they have uncovered criminal networks linked to it.

Anyway, I’m off out now. Catch you all later.

• Ben3arfa

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM

8m + permanent deal for campbell is about fair I reckon. Or 11m + loan deal .

Rather the first deal though

• Our Toon

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Markaccus

I wasn’t having a pop at you mate but was merely asking you if you thought corruption was rife in football at all levels, I gave you examples of Italy club teams though!!

• Our Toon

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Ben3Arfa

I don’t even think Campbell is part of the deal is he?

• Markaccus

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Lilong

All i am suggesting is to keep away until this ‘odd’ behaviour is cleared up. Nufc have a dodgy owner and sponsor already and more question marks we do not need.

anyway, catch you later. Have a good day 🙂

• Markaccus

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Our toon

yeah its ok. My statement was quite sweeping so i understand it could be taken differently than i intended.I just meant we should back off, especially in our current moral situation, until the whole picture is clearer.

• bobby mango

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Does it make any difference? Ashley wouldn’t spend anymore if we got 20m

I really hope we get Campbell and Jenkinson in the deal… Only hope of getting players.

• Markaccus

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM

As to the italian teams, when that hit the news (five years ago now? Something like that) i would have said “keep away from italian players”.
    The reason i grouped africa together was because it was more than one international team. Maybe i should have said Ghanians and Nigerians 😀

• jpe1985

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Amazed to see criticism of Campbell’s scoring stats.. he got 11 goals in 37 appearances last season.. hardly a “atrocious” goalscoring record for a winger? The fact that he scored a worldy against Man United last season and 2 long range efforts against Spain last year in a 2-2 draw would suggest hes done abit more than score one goal at a WC.. and winning a league title in his first season in Greece would suggest hes got far more potential than the players suggested…

• Ben3arfa

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Hey guys I dont get the fascination with Jenkinson, is it because he is English?

I’ve watched him play for arsenal on a few occasions and hes always looked to slow and doesnt offer anything going forward, questionable premiere league standard but may be a good player in the championship.

• toonboyjake

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Friend of mine is an agent, represented Xisco before his brother took over, told me were offered De Guzman for £6m and have turned it down for now, apparently we are trying to push through other deals instead

• Rotonda heights

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Not mine but made me laugh.

Big Phil will be on the phone to Pardew here, the master of excuses is needed to put a positive twist on this.

‘Well I fought the boys kept going and we was unlucky with the shape of the ball being round, they’re facckiinn gutted in there and I fought we was worf a draw until they stuck the seventh in. Rest assured we’ll be working hard in training midweek to put it right.’

• Rotonda heights

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM

jake

that’s a shame, good little player

• Our Toon

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Markaccus

I know what you mean mate, Lilongwe and I had a discussion when I had a go at Eto’o etc. for refusing to play and then the Ghanians did the same thing….it seems as though collectively they want the money for the less well-off players in the squad. My opinion was that the richer players shouldn’t be playing for money but rather for national pride and forfeit money by giving it to the lads less well off.

Unfortunately we will never understand the dynamics of players for other nations, what I will say is that they still showed more heart than our lads on the pitch!!

• Rotonda heights

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM

ben3arfa

the only time i really saw jenkinson arsenal lost 8-2 and he was shocking, a bit like when leon best scored a hat trick playing against West ham’s Tompkins.

• Our Toon

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Rotonda

The one thing that really stood out to me after the game last night was the Barzilian huddle….Big Phil was trying to calm the players down (Oscar in particular who couldn’t stop crying) and pointing to himself, it looked as if he was saying I will take the responsibiltiy for this not you guys!! No doubt big Phil got it horribly wrong and he acknowleded yesterday, when I awoke today to read his comments they sounded like an opinion of an honest man. He took full responsibility for the defeat and acknowleged that he got it wrong not the players, he also refused to blame the Neymar injury by stating Neymar wouldn’t have helped stop the 7 goals. Credit to the manager who decided that the full wrath of a nation should be on him, he knows he’s won a world cup 2002, he has an invincible reputation which has been tarnished but he will never be massively criticised or vilified by the nation as he will never be forgotten for both this world cup and for the one he won!!

What would Percy have done in that situation?

• Our Toon

Jul 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM

not barzilian but Brazilian

• toonboyjake

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Rotonda i know, think we could’ve done with a player of his quality, creates and scores for Swansea , apparently charnley (however it’s spelt) seemed confident of other signings though

• gaz 44

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:06 AM

From earlier thread I wish I was pardews spokesman reckon its a cracking job just blame everyone else but him but he already does that so be a pointless job..
    The thing is Nolan is probably a pardew type player works hard and battles I think the main problem is, whether I agree with pardews tactics or not is the players we are buying aren’t his choice therefor aren’t necessarily going to fit his tactics . I’d love to have a top draw manager who can work with any type of player but that isnt going to happen while pardew is a cheap alterbative . was interesting to hear him say he handed in his resignation after Andy Carroll left though as I just thought he was Ashley’s yes man

• JAMSHA

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM

L’Equipe: Jordan Ayew available for
    about €4m, St Etienne and Lille
    interested, but also interest from
    abroad, they claim

• Rotonda heights

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:09 AM

mavientes (Newcastle United): And yet people still back Pardew. This is why the club for the past 2 seasons has plummeted in style and results.

All these 2 players have done is criticise Pardew for his tactics and lack of playing time, all of which were spot on reasons. And Mr ego instead of saying okay then prove me wrong, goes and dumps them, just like he did with Cisse (in favour for Ba) and Santon and plays the likes of Gosling and Ameobi ahead of them.

He destroys any individuality, any technique and any desire in our flair players because of his My way or the Highway negative defensive tactics.

And tuutlebom is right, as long as Pardew stays, talent will get wasted. Be interesting to see how long it takes him to destroy Siem.

Yet you’ll get the same people saying give him a chance, I mean he’s been here 4 years now and yet apparently he still needs a ‘chance’. pfft Pardew destroys players and teams.

• Markaccus

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Our toon

despite what the media et.c would say, i actually think England played better attacking football than brazil have managed in the tournament for the most part. Rooney himself said we have played worse in majots and still got through! There was a handful of players who did not try hard enough. A handful is all it takes at this level. I still think woy did the right thing taking the kids, i just hope these kids play regularly for their clubs in the next two years or else its pointless

• mike fat ashley

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:20 AM

CAN WE NOT SELL ASHLEY I WONDER HOW MUCH WE WOULD GET FOR HIM

• Rotonda heights

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Our toon,

I knew as soon as big phil said before the columbia game that Brazil had one hand on the trophy that they were doomed!!

I expected germany to win a cagey 2-1 or 1-0 and the loss of Neymar and possibly more importantly Thiago Silva killed them. Dante and Luiz were absolutely pathetic.

For me though all tournament scholari didn’t have Brazil playing in their usual exuberant 3-4-3 style at all.

Big phil is a notorious homophobe and apparently a little bit dated now in his coaching methods, a bit like Del Bosque for Spain where the modern era has caught up and taken over.

I think brazil will come again but like us now desperately need a modern, progressive manager to take them forward again.

To acknowledge your point though it was a refreshingly honest and candid response from scholari and far removed from any semblance of decency we could expect from pardew.

• dazzler

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I wish this would just end now. The longer it takes the more likely we’ll here the couldn’t get en over the line

• Our Toon

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Gaz 44

Percy never handed his resignation in to the board, he made such a statement because it was embarrassing for him that AC left especially when he said he would definitely not be leaving. That was Percy’s way of getting onside with the fans who weren’t sure about his appointment to start with.

Jamsha – Jordan Ayew…..hmm I don’t like him at all, even more so now after the WC. Do you remember the German game? Ayew and Asamoah were up against 1 German defender, all Ayew has to do is square the ball to an unmarked Gyan Asamoah which would have put Ghana 3-1 up and won the game for them, instead he went it alone and hit a shocking shot straight to Neuer….Germans scored within 5 minutes and Ghana ended up going out of the WC on goal difference. Jordan Ayew could have put his NATION through to the next round but went for personal glory….I hope players like him rot away and never play for our club!!

• Scottiedog

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Confusion!!! Really!!!

How the hell can Debuchy go for £8m when Lovren could be going to Liverpool for £25m!?!?!?!?!?!?

Joke!!