Team Mates Great In Welcoming Jack Colback

Jack Colback has trained all week with his new team mates – at Newcastle’s Benton Training grounds, and the Killingworth lad has said the players have warmly welcomed him into the squad.

jack colback 99

Jack Colback – after singing on at Newcastle

Jack was signed as a fee agent from Sunderland in June, and it seems that Colback is really looking forward to the pre-season – with a trip down under to New Zealand planned for later this month.

This is what Jack had to say on the Newcastle web-site today:

“There’s been a lot of ball work among doing the running as well.” “It’s been good, it’s nice to be back. The lads have been great and very welcoming.”

“It’s good to have a lot of games to play – that’s where you’re going to get your fitness and your match sharpness and start getting a feel for the game again, which you maybe lose a touch from being off for so long,”

“But it’s good that we’ve got the weeks broken up with a lot of games.” “Obviously every game you play, if it’s a friendly or not, you want to win and have a positive result.”

“But we also need to show that we’re gelling as a team and improving as a team.” “I think the manager and the staff will probably first and foremost look at performance and fitness, and if we’re doing what they’re asking of us then the results will come.”

“I think the majority of teams go away and get away from the area, but it’ll be a new experience for me.” “I’ve been to Hong Kong and places like that, so I’ve traveled far but not quite as far as New Zealand.”

“It’ll be an experience to go out there, we’ve got two games that’ll be a good test, and then the Germany tournament will be a good one as well, against really good opposition – Malaga and Schalke 04 – it gives you a chance to test yourself.”

Our first pre-season game is at Oldham Athletic on Tuesday night at the newly named SportsDirect.com Park, with Sports Direct having a five year deal with Oldham on the naming rights of what was Boundary Park,  and maybe Jack will get his first game in Newcastle’s famous black and white stripes in that game.

Newcastle do have  a busy season – and here are all the game before the Premier Season kicks off on Saturday, August 16th, when we have a home game against the Premier League Champions – Manchester City.

DateOppositionLocationKO time
Tues Aug 5HuddersfieldJohn Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield
Drew 2-2
7:45 pm
Sun Aug 10Real SociedadSt. James' Park, Newcastle
Won 1-0
1:30 pm

It will be difficult for Jack to nail down  a permanent starting position at Newcastle in the coming season, but first things first, and we’ll have to see how he shapes up in pre-season.

This site has been blocked by Newsnow – you can still reach us via one of our social media sites below or go straight to the site at www.nufcblog.com.   I may have fixed the redirect problem on iPhones and iPads – but you will need to clear the cache to see if it now  works properly.

Written while on vacation in England.

• nut meg

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM

A decent addition to the squad imo.I wish him well.

• JDdubai

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Signings are great and all, just wish he would give MYM a proper run at CB. He is the future, not Colo who is well past 30 and tried to get away from us for however long.

If we let MYM go then I reckon we are going to get rid of a future top class CB, still cant work out how Pardew could play 3 CBs last season and still not have MYM in there… Tiote should be captain too.

• geordie157

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Happy with the colback signing, he’s a consistent 7 out of 10 player.

Agree with mbiwa needs a run of games at centre back alongside someone like shawcross.

• Shaker Shakrah

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Nice geordie player 😀
    I wish him all the best next season 🙂 .

• JamesToon

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Totally agree JDdubai

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Torq,
    You still about? I haven’t seen anything of Riviere play, but did a bit of digging on several football websites on him. Have to say from what they said he doesn’t excite me in the slightest. Whoscored.com had him down as having no significant strengths. His goals record is poor.

As with LDJ, if he is coming in to be 3rd choice then I don’t mind, but at £8million or whatever the price ends up being I think he could be our main man.

You see more in France then I get to, so what is your take on him. Will he score many in the Prem?

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Interviewed by RMC Sport in France, Cabella’s manager had this to say;

“This is not a done deal yet. Talks are continuing about the usual bonuses, but I am not worrying about any problems with the eventual outcome.

Laurent and Louis (Nicollin, son and father, and owners of Montpellier) were right to say no to the first offer which was upsetting, but we are getting close, it is 90% completed, though not 100% yet.”

• nut meg

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Tads
    Here we go….still to reach an agreement on wages.We’re over Beachers Brook & now for the Chair,can we get over it or we going to fall ?? Come on boy you can do it.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Lil,
    I read yesterday in Nufc.com that LDJ had signed fir PSV for around 4M.

• AaranD

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Colback will be a very good squad player for us. Like people are saying is a reliable little player.
    If the remy rumours are true, it would be great to have him back. Sissoko, Sdj, Cabella with Remy spearheading the attack aint bad at all.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Didn’t his German club want £8M or something from us?

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM

For £4M he would be a decent backup striker!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM

AaranD…I think Colback was bought as a starting player and not as a squad player?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Jail,
    Yeah, for £4.3 million. Good deal for PSV, particularly going back to the Dutch league where he will be able to get some goals. At that price as 3rd choice I would have had him here. Can’t see Riviere doing much better than he would have, so not sure I’d be willing to part with £8million for him. And can’t see us spending on a top goalscorer if we pay £8million for this lad.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Jseper,
    Yes, I think our arrangement was an £8million fee if the loan was a success.

• AaranD

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Regarding Riviere, is a gamble I guess. Does play in good side at monaco and hasn’t shone for them, though I dont think he’s played through middle much with falcoa and berbatov being there.

Colback and tiote being our first choice in middle then, hmm I guess so.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:54 AM

AaranD…I would play Sissoko next to Tiote and then bring Benny in from the cold (but that is probably not going to happen 😉 )

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Did I just kill the blog? 😉

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Okay I’ll be going back to the beach and when I come back we better have signed someone 😉

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Aaran,
    Most centre forwards will be a gamble as it is unlikely we will get one that has proven he can do it in the Prem. Falcao was injured for half the season, so Riviere got a decent amount of playing time. Admittedly I haven’t seen anything of him, but reading reports and ratings of him doesn’t fill me with much hope. Would be interesting to hear Torq’s take on him, as he watches a lot of French football.

Cabella seems to play more on the right or central, then the left so I see Sissoko moving more centrally to partner Tiote. I can’t see Colback being any more than a squad player personally. Cabella, SDJ and probably Goofy as the 3 in front, although a proper left winger would be great.

• SuperShearer

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Luuk De Jong has joined PSV which pretty much rules out any move here. I think a low big of £4 Mil could have seen him do a job for us off the bench but clearly he didn’t do enough to impress.

• geordie157

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Riviere is decent, he’s not the answer to our replacements for ba or Remy. But he’s a good addition to the squad, adds more pace to the side and can play as a striker or out on the right of a front three.

Decent age too, so hopefully he can still improve.

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM

watched riviere play a number of times for monaco and he did quite well . he is regarded as lazy and arrogant hope he isnt.

• Belfast

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Think Remys agent is probably just using us to drum up more interest in his client.

Think his agent is that crook Willy Mckay.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Proud,
    Lazy and arrogant? Maybe that is why he is reported to have been holding out for a move to Arsenal. He saw himself as the ideal replacement for Bendtner. (Bendtner and Samaras still both available on free transfers if we get desperate.)

• jazzyp

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM

National French press are reporting that Monaco have done a deal to bring in Moussa Sow to replace the outbound Rivierre NUFC#

Mmmmmmm the plot thickens

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM

How the hell are players (Santon) getting injured in training already? Surely at this stage it’s getting fitness back and playing passive, not high tempo 5 a sides.

Mind you we played Benny for a full 90 mins on his first game back after a 4 month lay off on a plastic pitch in sub zero conditions!

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:00 PM

jazzy

Think I’d rather have Sow than Riviere

• jazzyp

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Soccer Sauce
    ?@soccer_sauce As well as Rivière, Newcastle are trying to land the signings of Alexandre Lacazette and Daryl Janmaat #NUFC

Demba Ba believed to be on the list but lower priority due to his age

• jazzyp

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Rotonda
    Totally agree there buddy

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I’m as underwhelmed by Riviere as I am excited by Cabella.

Surely if we can’t get Remy, Lacazette or similar, we could still find better than Riviere who tbh looks a bit of a k–b.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Really worried how pardew and his cronies are going to be able to develop Perez.

• JamesToon

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Top 5 striker targets, please Ashley, Pardew and Carr pick two out of these and i’ll be happy:

1. PEA
    2. Lacazette
    3. Remy
    4. Ba
    5. Ings

• Novocastrian66

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Rotonda; on what do you base your opinion of Rivière?

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:11 PM

If it meant like 8M for Riviere and 15M or Lacazette I’d rather just take Lacazette if we had that much money to play with, which I seriously doubt.

• Belfast

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Think I’ll believe the Cabella one when it’s official lol

That mad chairman could change his mind at any moment.

Would take Ba and Remy back no probs.
    Highly unlikely to happen though.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Novo,

That glorious Dennis Wise institution youtube, reading Riviere’s biopic, his stats etc etc, watching the odd game of French football, plus I am of course in daily contact with Graham Carr. I rest my case your honour.

• tequilamag

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Poor Rotonda not even glass half full anymore, Glass is completely empty.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM

James @ 33

Spot on, that would be my list and all in that order too.

• Spoof

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM

It appears as if many have written Riviere off before he has even joined us which I find quite amusing as the same people are drooling over Lacazette yet the chances are these fans have seen virtually nothing from either of them, I certainly haven’t but from the youtube glimpses he seems to have a bit of pace and seems to be quite strong as well, the the lad a chance if he joins, as the truth is very few if any of us really know this lad.