All You Need To Know About Daryl Janmaat

Daryl Janmaat is expected to be the next Newcastle signing of the summer, and he will be the 5th player through the door this summer at Newcastle United.

Daryl Janmaat

Daryl Janmaat in Holland’s colors

Daryl was born in Leidschendam, South Holland on July 22nd, 1989, and the 6’1″ right back started his senior career in 2007 with ADO Den Haag, after spending much of his youth career at Feyenoord.

Den Haag was where Tim Krul was signed from by Graeme Souness back in the summer of 2005, and when Janmaat joined then they were in the second division in Holland.

In 2008 the then 19-year-old moved SC Heerenveen and had four seasons with the club, and played exactly 100 times for Heerenveen with 6 goals and 8 assists, before he then moved back to Feyenoord in 2012 as a free agent.

Janmaat has played 74 times for Feyenoord in the last two seasons and scored 5 goals with 11 assists – and his assists are generally from bombing down the right wing and putting the ball across into the penalty area.

From what we’ve seen of him in Brazil he is excellent at crossing the ball into the penalty box, and should do very well at Newcastle.

Janmaat made his debut for Holland back in September 0f 2012, playing the full game in a 2–0 home win against Turkey in the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.

And of course he was an important member of Louis van Gaal’s squad in the finals in Brazil that have just ended with Germany beating Argentina 1-0 in the final after extra time on Sunday night.

Daryl played his first game in the World Cup finals in that 5–1 humiliation of the defending World Champions Spain on 13th June.

Janmaat played every minute of the three group rounds, and made appearances in the knockout rounds as a sub, including playing the second half in the 3-0 rout of Brazil for the third place spot on Saturday night.

And while Daryl is an excellent attacking right back, he is also a good defender too, and could well develop into an even better player than the departing Mathieu Debuchy, who is almost exactly four years older than Daryl – and Mathieu turns 29 before the end of this month.

Juventus, Arsenal and Manchester United have all been interested in Daryl in the past,  and we think this lad could be another excellent signing for Newcastle United at around £5M.

Janmaat played 11 times for the Dutch U21 side and has 22 full caps for his country, and in his club career so far he has played 199 first team games with 15 goals and 20 assists.

He looks a very good right back to us. 😀

Below are our social media sites:

Written while on vacation in Newcastle, England.

• Mattroge

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM

@Firebug from previous read

Firebug@10 That was one of the most frustrating things for me in the Europa season. Pardew tried to play with Ba & Cisse either up front or on some occasions with Cisse out wide for nearly half a season & as a result witnessed some of the worst football I’ve ever seen. We were lucky to stay up that year & we were actually bailed us out by Swansea beating Wigan in the last minute & Boswinga having a nightmare when we beat QPR!

• lesh

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Good signings and not before time.

The Sports Direct related trip to the Antipodes explains the tour and dare I say it, the signings.

After all, if you were opening outlets in a different part of the world and wanted the publicity, you wouldn’t want any bad press covering fan discontent, lack of investment etc, would you?

Enough! The cynicism must cease, smartish!!!

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Well the replacements are almost in, that’s good. Now just those 2 strikers and we’re back to our original strength of 18 months ago.
    After that I’d like to see the additions we need to go forward, namely a top CB and a top winger. Won’t happen, but if it did i’d class this window as our best ever under Ashley easily. Still worried and dismayed by Pardew but if we get those players in we would finally have a fully equipped and powerful squad. I’d fancy us to compete with Spurs providing injuries aren’t too damaging.

• Mattroge

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Anyway on topic, I can only go on the World Cup but I was impressed with him (think everyone was) for a change we’ve actually bought a replacement before selling & I can only hope this is the way we’ll operate going forward. Selling players in January without replacing them is not a way to run a club. First time round we were resuced by Leon Best having a run in front of goal after Carroll leaving & second time we had the cushion of the points we’d accumlated before Christmas. It wouldn’t be wise at all to keep rolling the dice with the club’s future in the new year.

• JAMSHA

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:00 PM

any stream for todays match??????

• Rotonda heights

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Proud

Correct me if I’m wrong but you just said Lacazette was too lightweight for the premiership.

And yes I have seen him, thanks for the patronising and condescending tone. Could I have bumped in to you in Lyon? He’s fast and skilful and scores goals and I could see him doing very well under a football manager.

God forbid I do think that Ben Arfa and marveaux have been mis-managed and actually have some talent, well more than Gosling and Shola anyway!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM

If we manage to get two CF who can manage 30 goals between them then I think we can say it’s been a great window, however if MYM leaves without replacement and we don’t bring in said strikers then we are no further forward.

• ethiotoon

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Not much options left to choose from regarding strikers. but excellent to have done our transfers early on.the chiefs show some sign of ambitions at the right time.may be this ones left to choose:
    Lacazatte
    Musa sow
    Jordan ayew
    Drmic
    Muriel
    Finbogasson
    Abel hdz
    Bojan kirkich

• Laurent Robert 32

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Siem, Cabella and Janmaat are good players to bring to the club and in that sense I’m pleased. However, they are simply replacements for the outgoing players of a similar standard.

Two steps forward, two steps back, or vice versa. If these guys were signed with the departing players still here then I’d be a lot more optimistic with the quality in the squad.

Plus, we still have Professor Pinoochio the wooden boy from Glass Land in charge who is sure to blag his way through another season with excuses and deflections.

I’m sure we’ll see the players play their natural game for a while then they’ll drop some levels once they grasp the anti-football which they will be told to play. The new club novelty will wear off. This is also known as being Pardewed.

• Bambams

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Its a worry that we appear to have bought some footballers but can our manager get the style of play needed to get the best out of them ?

I still think we need a coach that is responsible for the whole first team and let Pards just take the limelight and glory….

• piers18

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Yess still refreshing the offic website every hour lol

In other news im pissed west ham got valencia I was hoping we would go after him. I also want Campbell, hope hes apart of the deal!

• proud2bnufc

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Agree ^

That’s good quality for young players such Bigi or Armstrong, Campbell… Hope that Ben Arfa stay with us for next season.

• Bambams

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Whats the betting one of Pards excuses this year will be ” we have brought in so many players to appease the fans they have not gelled yet”…..

• proud2bnufc

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:18 PM

What about Carroll ? Could be a good move back to us.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Oh yeah… We’ve signed this player and that player…

The Tv money at about £79 million hasn’t been touched and that is on top of no signings in the last two windows.

Call it negative what I’m saying, but in awake to this wider viewpoint. A few players should have been bought in the previous two windows. We should be onto a few more quality signings now plus a capable, qualified and technical manager. We haven’t.

One out, one in leaves us in a similar predicament however much you want to hype up the new players.

The ambitions have been lowered so much, there’s a bit of excitement about having similar number of quality of players.

Don’t be conned, it’s not good enough with the money the club generates.

• Bambams

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Piers18
    According to sky west ham still have not signed him. Glitch over the price I believe

• Mr Funk

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Has anyone noticed not one thing on the BBC website about the Janmmat signing!

• Clarko

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:20 PM

I know I should be happy, but I’m not. It is understood that Cabella cost only £7million, combine that with De Jong £6.5million, Colback for £0 and Perez for £1.8million and we have only spent £15.3million meaning we haven’t even spent the ”Cabaye” money (£20million) yet, I know its early but if you add Janmaat £6million and Riviere £6million and take into the sale of Debuchy £10million we still have made £3million profit, we are then likely to get another striker but thats all I can see happening meaning Ashely is pocketing the £70+million BPL an SkyTV money. It is just not good enough, I also think Riviere is a ”panic” buy as most of our other targets have signed for other clubs, and he just isn’t good enough.?

• Mister Tuff

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM

A couple of strikers and a decent commanding CB and we could be in for a decent season. We have a shocking defence (please refer to the last couple of league tables for proof).
    Percy will not drop Colo -all three Colo,Willo and Taylor are suspect, not getting better and injury prone. Get these positions sorted out and we might have all the pieces of the jigsaw in place.
    We could end up with a decent team -but the depth of the squad will be a worry -ie no cup runs. Ref the tour – Percy will play a couple of the youngsters -and we’ll probably never see them again until cup games.

• the truth will out

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM

lets just say De Jong fills the hole left by Remy, Cabella fills the hole left by Cabaye, the reported signing of Janmaat fills the hole left by the outgoing Debuchy, Perez fills the hole left by Shola and Colback fills the hole left by Gosling* then surely a case can be made that the signings that have been made are solely replacements for the players we have let go?
    until more players of quality come in wheres the big change therefore i stand by what i’ve said until more recruits of higher quality come in nothing has changed there is money to be spent .
    not a penny more

• Our Toon

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I have to say we are a fickle bunch of fans aren’t we. Yes I am happy with new signings but those who are over the moon and considering buying season tickets please take a step back….a deep breath and realise that Percy is still the manager, we could sign Messi and Ronaldo but still struggle to play entertaining football. The fact the Rivere is good in the air (his strongest attribute) this should be the biggest wake up call of all!!

These signings should have been made last year, all they are doing now is playing catch up with errors made from previous years!!

• pawl250

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Why are people so hung up on the price we sell for the price we buy?

Yes we have sold Cabaye for 20m, and we sold/selling depending when you read this (I hear it will be complete today) 10-12m for Debuchy……

But does it mean we should go and waste that on big money players?

We bought Cabaye for 4m and Debuchy for 5m…. if we signed players in the same mold, I really do not care what we have paid aslong as they are like for like, or preferably better.

Just because you pay a high price for someone does not guarantee you a wonder signing….

Afonso Alves 20m euros
    Jack Rodwell 12m
    Marouane Fellaini 28m
    Fabio Borini 12m
    Adam Johnson 12m

I know I am simply pointing out the bad signings or some even average. I just do not understand the logic of signing an overpriced player who may not even be worth it, when you could and Newcastle probably have this season bought 5 players for the sake of 2…..

Suarez cost 23m for Liverpool, at the same time they paid 35m for Carroll…

Who was the better signing?

Ozil 45m
    Lamela 30m (if you include bonus payments)
    Soldado 25m
    Owen 16m

Big money does not guarantee big stars. It may increase the possibility but by no means does it mean he is quality.

If by that line of thought Cisse would be our best player.

We do not need to spend all the money aslong as we buy decent players. I also like the fact our club is not running into the ground anymore and I feel confident the team is actually a decent one.

By no means do I expect to challenge for the league, but it I am not worried about relegation.

Some people are simply too hard to please.

• cestriasteve

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Clarko,

How has Ashley pocketed £70M, our wage bill is about £50M. Yes he will make a profit but he wont be pocketing £70M. there will be a striker signed and 1 more on loan and I would be surprised if a new CB is signed.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:35 PM

JFA @7
    Fully agree buddy
    For me it’s a refreshing change that a) were actually buying players but b) the players coming in our of equal quality than those sold, but younger!
    But it’s all for nothing if we don’t get 2 CF’s and a CB

Rivière seems to be being touted as done and dusted within the next 48 hours

@Newcastle_FC: Via @GraemeBailey Ba is NOT on
    Newcastle’s wanted list at the moment – ‘other’ striker – apart from Riviere – is foreign based.
    /Joe

• cestriasteve

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Pawl,

Well said mate.

Still think Saldado will come good though, play him in the channels!!! like he did for Valencia.

• pawl250

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I do not rate Riviere, he reminds me of Best.

Money would in this case be best saved to buy a better player i.e. Lacazette. I would even go as far to say I would have preferred Luuk De Jong for 4.5m over him for 6m!

Ba would be approx 5-6m

Hernandez 10m

Lacazette would be approx 11-12m

These amounts are not much different for a player I think, (alhough I hope he isnt) will be a flop.

• NYMAG

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Slightly bemused by the constant negative rhetoric from some nufc fans spewing comments like Ashley pockets £70m just shows how little people know about how a business/football club is run. Look at the annual reports, just because a club shows a profit does not mean Ashley is paying himself the money….in fact I don’t think he takes a salary. As far as I can see we’ve done the best business of any club so far this summer with hopefully more to come. I’m more excited about the start of this season than the last.

• Laurent Robert 32

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Pawl, it’s not about wasting money or overpaying. It’s about getting more additions of similar good value and quality to build up a stronger squad.

With signing no players in the last two windows plus a huge increase to the TV money (not to mention the Carroll money) those extra few players plus a capable manger which could be afforded

Like-for-like replacements is hardly pushing us forward and building. Silver tongue was already blaming his small squad last year, so watch for quotes saying he has a stonger squad this year come to the surface. Yet we’ve really just replaced those who have left, so it’s not stronger at all. (Until we sign strikers, we haven’t even got back to where we were.)

• deeps

Perez < Remy
    —— – Tavernier
    —— – Amalfitano
    ——- – Simpson
    Bigirmana (promoted) – Perch
    Alnwick (promoted) – Harper

These are basically the ins and outs since the start of last season and

We need a couple of strikers, and in my opinion a decent little right back in the mold of Haidara for cover for Janmaat. Not looking for anything amazing just a 1m / 2m punt.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I agree with many of the comments. I’m astounded and thrilled with our signings so far and agree we need 2 more forwards and a cb and possibly a decent winger. Although I must say we need more bodies thru the door, we are woefully short of strength in depth. A couple of injuries and we are up shit creak without a paddle!!!

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Really pleased we have finally landed some quality players. Okay so they are overdue replacements but good ones at that.

Now what we have to make sure we do right is sign a proper goalscorer with pace and presence on the pitch. Riviera does not impress me much and I doubt he’s be a success. I would love for us to go for Islam Slimani of Algeria. Or if we can try go for a cheeky bid for Hernandez of Man U. Those are the sort of strikers we should be going for. I also like the Colombian Carlos Bacca, Enner Valencia of Ecuador and Lyon’s Lacazette. Either of those and I will be extremely pleased.

Please Ashley and co don’t fall short on the main priority at the club and go all out and buy the striker we all know we need and deserve.

HWTL!

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Pawl I would deffo have Hernandez

• pawl250

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Laurent Robert

See above….. We have improved some players and matched others.

Only Remy leaving in the last season has made us weaker as he has not been replaced.

A couple of strikers and we can see if we have move forward but all the buys so far have improved the squad with not just age, but quality if you ask me AND without really costing as much making the club better run in the long run.

I would love to see two more signings in Grenier, Lacazette and I would be over the moon.

But it wont happen.

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Van Gaal wants rid of Hernandez

• pawl250

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I think JFA is bang on….

A couple of strikers who between them can get 20+ goals could make us a very decent outfit.

I could see Lacazette and Hernandez approx 20m getting those sort of goals.

I would shiver if Riviere is supposed to be our goal machine.

I would also keep Mbiwa!

• Graeme

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Pawl @ 22, The money spent simply serves to illustrate that there is more than enough left in the kitty to buy Lacazett plus another striker in this window and still have enough left over for a good CB!!

Once that is done, I would say, yes, we have now improved the squad that was so woefull last season and we can face the new season with a little more hope than it ended.

• JAMSHA

Jul 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM

deeps

there are already pics with the nufc shirt…so chill..mayb it will announced with another signg

• ToonFromLeeds

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Pawl those 2 strikers sound mouthwatering Hernandez and Lacazette

• ITK Beattie25

Jul 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM

The reason the Debuchy deal has been delayed is not due to the NUFC Janmaat transfer, it is to do with the terms of the exchange of Yaya Sanogo.

Newcastle wanted £8 million plus Yaya which Arsenal rejected initially, offering Joel Campbell instead.

However with Edison Cavani now making himself available Arsenal are happy to accept the deal as Sanogo will be surplus to requirements if Cavani can be signed.

Watch this space for more transfer updates from ITK Beattie25.