Clement Grenier Up For Sale – Newcastle Could Move In

Clement Grenier has asked to leave Lyon this summer, and since we still have to replace Yohan Cabaye with a recognized central midfield play-maker –  that should interest Newcastle United.

clement grenier

Clement Grenier – up for sale at Lyon

Lyon manager Hubert Fournier has said the player was seeking a move from Lyon this summer, and this is what he has said in a news conference:

“We have already agreed with certain players they can leave if a good offer presents itself.” “For those who are allowed to leave, there is Clement Grenier, who asked to go at the end of the season, so he could find a club to make a progression in terms of footballing level.”

“We cannot talk about compensating for his potential departure.”  “Due to his talent, we will not find somebody on the market to replace him because of our financial means. We will adapt appropriately if he leaves.

“For the moment, we have not had any satisfying offers. There have been propositions because he is a quality player who is wanted a lot around the world.” “However, they were not perceived to be adequate by the club.”

We had also mentioned earlier today the Lyon manager had said 20 year-old defender Samuel Umtiti had also asked to leave, and Newcastle could be interested in Samuel.

Newcastle have huge momentum at the moment in the transfer market, having signed six new players so far this summer, and three of them since last Sunday – with Remy Cabella, Emmanuel Riviere and Daryl Janmaat having all signed along the dotted line, and all are delighted to come to the famous Tyneside club.

Newcastle were interested in 23 year-old Grenier last January when we tried to bring him to Newcastle, and he’s an excellent player who  unfortunately had to withdraw from the French World Cup side because of a groin injury.

In late January this is what his agent Frederic Guerra told French outlet le10Sport:

‘It is not easy to say no to a big club like Newcastle, but alongside Clement, we have agreed that he will remain at Lyon.”

“With just six months until the World Cup would a departure from his current club be a good idea? I do not think so at all.”

“Lyon are on their way back up and Clement does not want to leave when things are getting better. He does not want to abandon them mid-season.”

“The conditions of his departure would not have allowed Clement to flourish. He would have arrived at Newcastle, not as Clement Grenier, but as Yohan Cabaye’s replacement.”

“I have the utmost respect for the quality of Cabaye, who deserves everything that has happened to him, but is Clement really worth half of Yohan Cabaye?

“All these reasons led us to decline the offer of Newcastle, the conditions of the deal did not seem fair to me for Clement.”

Newcastle are thought to have bid close to €10M for Clement in January, after we sold Yohan to PSG for about £20M – so it remains to be seen if Newcastle will move in for Clement – now he’s officially available.

And having Siem de Jong, Remy Cabella and Clement Grenier in the Newcastle side next season would be simply fantastic.

If we do go after Clement and he arrives on Tyneside, I’ll have to talk to my doctor about my blood pressure  – this good news about Newcastle is getting (very) hard to take.

They are even acting like an ambitious club this summer – what’s going on? 😀

Below are our three social media sites:

• Bambams

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Cant see us buying another midfielder.

If we were ambitious then yes….but.

Need that striker whoever that is !

• Magpies4Life

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Give Lyon what they want or somewhere close. He will leave this window, it would massively add to the dream that is the NUFC summer 2014 transfer window. The a 20+ goal striker and CB and we’re throwing a spanner in the works for top 4.

• ~A Riviere of Goals~

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Ben arfa + Cash? ;x

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Grenier would be a good addition, but we should be concentrating on centre forward and centre half at the minute. If he is still available after we have those in the bag, and we are still willing to spend cash then see if a deal can be done. Priorities should come first though.

• martoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I commented last night that while I am delighted with our tranfer business so far – I see most of them as replacements:-
    Colback for Gosling
    Riv for Remy
    Perez for Shola
    Cabella for Cabaye
    Janmaat for Debuchy
    When Lee Charnley became MD he said something like there would only be about 2 new players per season. I would consider SDJ as one of these so unless we sell somebody like Sissoko or MYM by my reckoning there is only one more possible signing – I hope it’s a striker.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM

From previous thread,
    Lil,
    Some views on here think that now the player sales money is done that will be the end of the spending, I’ve seen a few people say we’re being greedy expecting anymore, I haven’t seen anyone discuss
    the possibility of a loan striker though, I
    far one would love to see STaylor
    replaced with a CB that can play
    comfortably with all three of the others
    and a striker brought in, I would sing
    Mashleys praises if that were to happen
    along with a good winger and a
    promosing young RB to replace Tav.
    Jimmy,
    The cycle shouldn’t have to continue but the pattern has been set in my opinion, money will not be spent unless absolutely necessary and even then only on players who will turn a profit ie Lescott could have been a great stop gap until Good, Satka, Streete came through but that would have been 2/3M in wages that would never have been recouped when he retires.
    ethitoon,
    What have I got against Pardew, apart from his lies, smug smarmy grin, his abysmal record and the orchestrator of some of the worst football ever seen at SJP, nothing really, and besides I’m quite sympathetic toward him compared to some on here.

• bobby mango

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Considering we aren’t in Europe and exit the cups no later than the 4th round I don’t see there being space for another CM/AM.

Maybe Pardew is only going to use SDJ as a striker, despite the player explaining clearly he’s not that.

• thai-mag

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Another center back is a must have, plus a striker in midfield we look ok but Grenier would be a nice option now Ashley is in a spending mood

• Shaker Shakrah

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I don’t hope the Last signing to be a striker
    Grenier is a good option and Rivi will do the job
    we have Gouff who can play as a striker too 🙂

• ethiotoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Lilo
    What’s wrong with u ?he is not good addition.he is an excellent addition. by signing him(clement),siem could be a striker.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM

I’m surprised at the naivety of some on here lauding Lee Charnley, if Mashers never released the purse strings he wouldn’t have had anybody signed, I seen TDSarf on his new blog spouting the same drivel he was on here that JfK was responsible for selling Cabaye and not replacing him, he gets away with it over there though as it only has about ten posters who leave a post every few hours.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:57 AM

Jail,
    I’d take a loan striker if he is a proven Prem goalscorer. Not many of those come up for loan. I don’t see why we should loan another Prem’s youngster to give them game time that they can’t get at their own club. He may be a success, but he may not. A risk to rely on that. Same goes for a striker from abroad. Why bring in someone for a year when a large proportion of players from abroad take half a season to adjust. If we are doing that we may as well give our youngsters a shot.

Campbell seems to be the one most talked up as a loan, but if we are to get him I’d much rather it be a permanent deal, although there is no guarantee with him either.

Strikers are the hardest to get right, and the most expensive to get, so I hope the club has done there homework fully on this.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Ethio,
    Siem isn’t a striker though. He can play there yes, but he isn’t a striker. By his own admission he says that isn’t his best role. He is best used finding space and arriving late. I doubt he would be particularly effective in the Prem as a lone striker. he doesn’t have the pace or strength to play that role.

As for Grenier, yes he is a good player, but he would only be an excellent addition if we needed him. At the minute he plays in a role that we have sufficient of. Therefore the priority should lie with the areas of the squad we are weakest. Which is why I say concentrate on these areas first then if he is available wee could go for him.

• martoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Jail for Ashley @11 – I don’t consider myself naive and consider myself realistic – see my post @5. However I’m pretty sure that our lack of signings was down to JFK’s ineptness. I’m not saying we would splashed the cash but I’m sure with a more able person we might have got 1 or 2 in. That will be why JFK was sacked – he simpy couldn’t do the job.

• ethiotoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:15 AM

2011-2012
    Great successful season,can’t blame AP
    2012-2013
    Unlucky,with injuries & suspensions that drag us to hell,can’t blame AP
    2013-2014
    We lost key player bad time,led us with no creativity and game control
    Can’t blame AP
    2014-2015
    Big test for pards,he has to deliver..
    Jail
    So how come you say AP an excuse person and a lier considering the conditions we were in ?

• WestOzMag

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Player stated himself that we are a step back and rightfully so. Lets just focus on getting some ST’s and a Solid proven CB in first

• WestOzMag

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM

@ethio. Your clearly just being a one eyed pardew fan trying to enlighten us on the unavoidable injuries we had and the sale of cabaye. Do we need to mention his winless record for us, his previous jobs in the same post for other clubs, his poor man management , his Hull City incident where we were left managerless for important games, his tactical unawareness. The list goes on and on. Stop defending this Muppet!!

• ethiotoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM

WestOzMag
    It’s not about defending mate.you can see it yourself, isn’t it what happenend on those years?think twice back and judge ur
    self.I still believe we have a good mgr.
    We are humans tend to make mistakes,
    If u analize it in football point of view,
    I am confident he will make us sing over the roof

• WLtoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Do we really need yet another midfielder?
    And who says we are spending any more money?
    If there is any cash left in the coffers id rather we bought in a striker and a CB.
    The signing of Cabella may see Gouffran being used as a striker option next season,and i think that could work providing he gets enough service.
    If Pardew does,nt see Gouffran in that role,then a proven striker is a must imo.
    IF we do get a striker and another CB i think Pardew has no excuses if we have a poor season,and i think its a huge season for him.
    We dont have european competition to worry about,alot of the dead wood has gone and been replaced by good fresh talent,and there is a feel good factor back at the club for a change.
    You will be under alot of scrutiny next season Pards, get it sorted.

• bobby mango

Jul 18, 2014 at 10:17 AM

ethiotoon – those season summaries are the biggest load of crap I’ve read in a while.

Aside from the 5th place Pardew had failed to get the best out the players.
    Watch us at set pieces and look at our stats on them as well (both attacking and defending). Then try to tell me he’s a good manager.

He’s f’ing appalling.

• shanghai fan

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:18 PM

@ bobby mango, I wouldn’t consider a manager who got us in 5th as appalling. It’s a result of a combination of him, the coaching staff and the people who bring the players in. As I said in a previous post every Europa league participating team suffers annually in the domestic league, with that many extra games it is inevitable. cabaye was immense for us, aside from the goals and assists, we had intelligence that made us play like a fantastic side. It wasn’t a coincidence when he played poorly, we did too. Aside from that, I wouldn’t say pardew is appalling- there are plenty of previous Newcastle managers that have had much bigger budgets and far worse league results- dalglish/allardyce/souness, the list is a long one. Less sensational descriptions of pardew would be a start.

• shanghai fan

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:23 PM

@ my previous post, the league result is as well as the players themselves. Left out that important, and well paid, part … 🙂