The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Debuchy Thanks Newcastle Fans ¨From The Bottom Of My Heart¨

1:50 pm, Friday, July 18th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 8 Comments

It’s good to see Mathieu Debuchy follow his friend Yohan Cabaye’s lead and send out thanks to the dedicated Newcastle fans who supported him so much while he was at the club, and many fans will be sorry to see the Frenchman leave Tyneside.

mathieu debuchy 12

Mathieu Debuchy - the former Newcastle right back

But like Yohan before him – Mathieu quickly improved his game on Tyneside, and he became much better player after only 18 months at Newcastle United.

Mathieu has just signed on at Arsenal for about £12M – giving Newcastle something like a £6.5M profit in that 18 months – and we have just signed an excellent replacement in 24 year-old Daryl Janmaat – the Holland number one right back – who looked a very good player in the World Cup.

This is what Mathieu has said to the Newcastle fans:

“I only spent a year and half at Newcastle United and it was an extraordinary experience at a club with great fans.”

“I thank them from the bottom of my heart because they really supported me during my time there.¨

¨And I hope they understand that I had a huge opportunity which I simply could not refuse.¨  “I’ve come here because I really want to play Champions League football again.¨

¨It’s one of the biggest competitions in the world.¨  ¨Everyone wants to play in it.¨  “I’m very proud to be joining a great club like Arsenal and to wear its colors, it’s one of the biggest clubs in the whole world.”

Mathieu is a top player now, and he wanted Champions League football – so in that way we understand why he wanted to leave Newcastle for Arsenal.

But if we want to keep our top players, and that includes some of the news players who have just arrived at the club, Newcastle have to become more ambitious and try to get a top six position in the Premier League.

The good news is that Newcastle seem to have become a lot more ambitious so far in this summer’s transfer window, and we have already signed six good players but lost Mathieu.

Newcastle fans will have their own opinions on whether Mathieu Debuchy should have been more loyal to Newcastle United.

Below are our three social media sites:

Tags: European Champions League · European Competition · Mathieu Debuchy · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

8 responses so far ↓

• 1 SBergenwall // Jul 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Class act, shame he is leaving although I believe Janmaat could prove a good replacement

• 2 Markaccus // Jul 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Well said, Debs. Hopefully Fatash takes a hint from this. Big players draw big crowds. Big crowds make big money. European football attracts bigger players. Surely the thought of this gives you a Wallet-on?

• 3 DokToon // Jul 18, 2014 at 1:58 PM

mark,

from previous thread, thank you… 11 sept is a very hard day for me, and when i read these senseless acts of violence, esp involving airplanes, i tend to empathize alot…

• 4 Dondatta13 // Jul 18, 2014 at 2:00 PM

lol@wallet on…. class ha

• 5 Markaccus // Jul 18, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Dok

9-11 (or 11-9 here) Was the most horrific thing that happened in my life time, i think. I remember taking a late lunch at work, when i got back the radio was on, and everyone looked so shocked because a plane had flown into the TTs. Then as we listened, a second one hit. I felt sick at all the lost life, that was before we even knew the full impact. So sorry you lost important people in your life to that mindless act.

• 6 Harley // Jul 18, 2014 at 2:06 PM

I think it’s good that the club have announced the team will be wearing black arm bands against Sydney but they should also hold a minutes sends and armbands for the opener against man city too.

This is really devastating news. It’s sickening!!!

• 7 anthc // Jul 18, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Great that six is coming in but how many have left and haven’t been replaced?
    I still think we’re 2-3 decent players short of a decent squad. At this time I don’t think we’re any better off than the start of last sseason.we still lack quality in depth. I do hope I’m wrong though. The tragedy yesterday just shows how fragile life is. Not only two toon fans but 80 children amongst others too. Who could do such a thing. Absolute cowards.

• 8 bobby mango // Jul 18, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Can’t argue with the Deal and not really bothered about him leaving (considering we got Janmaat in before allowing Deb to go).

previous post: Tragic News On The Death Of Two Dedicated Newcastle Fans