Janmaat Turns Down Other Big Clubs – Newcastle First Choice

Daryl Janmaat is reported to have turned down Italian club Napoli to join Newcastle United – the deal was announced yesterday – and maybe there were other Italian clubs also wanting him –  – and we know there were reports that Manchester United were another club interested in signing him.

daryl janmaat st james park howay the lads

Daryl Janmaat – shown at St. James’ Park

When Daryl’s signing was held up earlier this week – we had a bad thought that maybe another club had stepped in for a player who looked very good playing for Holland in the World Cup in Brazil.

But yesterday he became Newcastle’s 6th simmer signing, and we would hazard a guess that the number and quality of the players signed by Newcastle so far this summer, has surprised the majority of Newcastle fans.

This is some of what Daryl said after he signed on at Newcastle:

“There was some interest from Italian clubs.” “But when I heard from Newcastle my feeling was it was perfect.”  “It is a fantastic day for me. When I saw the stadium there were a lot of things here, I’m happy.¨

“It is a really nice stadium and I’ve heard a lot from Tim Krul. I’m really impressed. The fans are also fantastic.¨ “I’m looking forward to playing here.”

And Newcastle did well to hold up the announcement of Daryl Janmaat to coincide with Arsenal signing Mathieu Debuchy – a good move by the club – and we haven’t seen too many complaints about Mathieu moving on – although he improved immensely while he was at Newcastle for a short 18 months.

Janmaat will probably go through the same pattern of games that Debuchy went through when he arrived 18 months ago – some good – some not so good – and he will find the going difficult in some games until he becomes acclimatized to the Premier League.

But this lad looks like he could become an excellent right back for Newcastle United – and we hope that happens – and the sooner the better.

Below are our social media sites:

• Blaydon-Toon

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Great replacement for Debuchy and over half the price saved good business – guess everyone is in bed I’m talking to myself the pitfalls of working nights !

• Blaydon-Toon

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:54 AM

Striker next please

• Blaydon-Toon

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:54 AM

And a commanding CB please

• Blaydon-Toon

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:54 AM

I said please

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Well at least Debuchy recognized NUFC for giving him his chance in the EPL. Good luck to ya Debuuch, all the best.

On the other hand I believe we have an even better replacement in Janmaat, younger, stronger and just as attacking minded as the Frenchman.

I’ve been really impressed with Newcastle’s transfer business this window, very efficient, professional and signing class players in the positions needed, long may it continue.

HWTL

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:57 AM

I think we’re all getting a bit carried away here. Lee Charnley and the club have done great to get these promising players over the line but I really doubt many more are coming in this window. After all the good work we might fall slightly short of building a great attacking side.

Ed do you really think Ashley will get us another 2 strikers, another play-maker and a center-back?? I really doubt it, we’ll be lucky if we get another striker in if I am honest.

• Blaydon-Toon

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:03 AM

JP I would rather another striker and a pacey winger would love Andros Townsend and take a punt on Vlaar 4m for experienced international – I know it does not fit within our transfer policy but we are still in profit from our business so far

• Shaker Shakrah

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:04 AM

I think these players need to link with each other
    or we will suffer at the start of the season ( FACT )
    I hate to say it but the inept Pardew need to find a smart way of playing and a smart formation and prepare his
    players perfectly well in the Germany friendly tournament
    even Janmaat need to Link very well with the defenders
    around him .

• WLtoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:49 AM

As it stands,we have a weaker first 11 than what we had at the start of last season.
    We must get in a 15- 20 goal a season striker bcos Riviere is,nt a guarentee for enough goals.
    His record of 10 lge goals in 30 games ,in a weaker french lge is a bit of a concern.
    Unless we get another bargain who can get us those goals, we will need to spend at least 12-15 mil,and i doubt Cashley would be that ambitious.
    At the end of the day, he,s only spending what funds he,s got in from Cabaye.
    Nufc recieved a total of 74M in the summer from Sky(60M) and 14M for their lge position.
    If our billionaire owner has any ambition at all he could release half of that money to bring in 2 big players that would hopefully make us a force again.
    That still leaves 30-40 M for himself to put into his ever expanding wallet.
    I doubt very much that will happen but ile be waiting to see if Cashley proves me and many others wrong.

• shanghai fan

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:35 AM

Great window so far, what I’m most impressed about is whilst there have been several signings, all look individually very good. International players from good footballing nations. I think those asking for another 3 players are asking for a lot, each transfer take a lot of preparation, analysis, negotiation and “getting over the line”. Seeing the previous directors of football track record is a perfect example. On having the players gel, I wouldn’t worry so much. Quality, of which all these signings are, makes this process a lot quicker and easier. Plus after a World Cup and what will be a long and strenuous season, I think the players have more to gain with a good rest than a few extra matches down under

• FinnBarr

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:45 AM

Glad to see Krul is putting the good word in. Quality signing. Now, one more striker would be outstanding.