Newcastle Could Go After Accomplished Lyon Defender

Newcastle United were linked with Lyon defender Samuel Umtiti in March of last year, when Chief Scout Graham Carr was said to be scouting the young Lyon defender,  who can play at left back or center-back.

Samuel Umtiti -Lyon-2013_2885189

Samuel Umtiti – already played 92 times for Lyon

With Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa leaving the club this summer Newcastle need to bring in another center-back, and it could be a young defender – with 20 year 6’2″ Sporting Lisbon’ central defender Eric Dier, who was born in Cheltenham, England possibly a target of Newcastle’s this summer.

Or perhaps Newcastle have continued to watch Samuel Umtiti, and the new Lyon manager Hubert Fournier has said the player was seeking a move away from the Ligue 1 side this summer.

This is what Fournier has said in a Lyon press conference:

“Clément Grenier had requested a release if a club offered to give him an increase in his sporting career. Same for Samuel Umtiti,”

“The club has listened. But this is not desirable … Sam is part of the workforce and I count on him for the future .”

With former manager Remi Garde having left the club at the end of the season for personal reasons, a number of Lyon players seem to be wanting to get away – and the two players mentioned above will both very much interest Newcastle United.

With experienced center-backs Coloccini, Steven Taylor and Mike Williamson at the club, Newcastle may want to bring a top young central defender into the mix, and Umtiti would fit the bill.

Samuel was born in Cameroon and he has played at the French U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21 levels, and already has 92 games under his belt with two goals for Lyon, and last season he played 42 times for Lyon in all competitions.

Umtiti made his debut for Lyon in January 2012 in a 3–1 win against Lyon, and he has since become a regular in the Lyon side.

Newcastle should be well stocked for left backs with Santon, Dummett and Haidara fighting it out for the starting position next season, so maybe Umtiti would be brought in as a center-back.

However, he is not that tall for a central defender and stands only 5’11” in his stocking feet.

But Samuel  will have probably asked for a move  because a club has approached his agent Sebastien Thiery – and we wonder if that club is Newcastle United?

What do you think?

Below are our three social media sites:

• Spoof

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:16 AM

We need a big strong powerhouse, not this lad, I would rather hav e Dier

• jimmysmith

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Interesting that good players do seem to want to come to Newcastle, which indicates that those inside the game don’t view Newcastle with the same degree of angst as a a significant section of the support, myself included at times, I’ll freely admit. Reality check perhaps in order.

• ethiotoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:56 AM

ED
    You haven’t said anything about Grenier’s
    Transfer request.I don’t care about center halfs we need Grenier,we still have assets to spend,just spend it wisely
    Spoof
    How well do u know Eric dier ?

• ethiotoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:31 AM

Dream line up:
    Krul
    Janmaat mbiwa. Colo santon
    Sissoko. Tiote. Grenier. Cabella
    Siem dj
    Reviere

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:15 AM

Ethiotoon,
    I’ve followed Dier quite closely for around 4 years now, since I first heard about him while looking into young Brits playing in academies abroad. He had a disappointing spell at Everton when he was 17/18, where he couldn’t break into the first team, but I remember watching him then for the U21’s and thinking he was a talent. Moyes did come out and say that Everton wanted to keep him after his loan, but Dier wanted a return to Portugal as he felt he needed first team football to continue improving his game.

By all accounts the lad has a great attitude to go with excellent ability. Very comfortable on the ball, strong in the air and in the tackle. I imagine he would take a bit of time adjusting to the Prem, but if we were willing to get him in for the previously suggested £5million (although I think it was in Euros the price) then he would be a snip.

Already better than Willo and Saylor as a footballer, but would need easing into the team.

• thai-mag

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:28 AM

We do need another center back and Dier seems to tick all the boxes, our 3 remaining center backs are going to be a big handicap next season, none of them are going to get any better and will most likely get much worse

• cyprus

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:46 AM

Ed,
    You can remove that VACTION announcement now mate 🙂

On HBA… maybe we should trust Rob Lee to opine:

“They mightn’t have Hatem Ben Arfa for too long either.

Now, whether his problems boil down to a question of attitude or not getting a fair crack of the whip, only he and Alan Pardew will truly know.

In my book, you have to give players with his sort of talent a degree of freedom, a licence.

We did that with Ginola.

He could be unstoppable on his day, unbelievable – and nine times out of 10 it was his day.

We sat back and left him to it.

On the 10th day, when he wasn’t quite in the mood or things weren’t coming off for him, we all worked that little bit harder to make amends.

But we were happy to dig in because we knew he was worth it.

He got bums off seats, and that’s what the Toon Army wants.

They want to be entertained and excited. “

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:52 AM

Thai,
    Yeah, both Willo and Colo are on the decline. Saylor could be better then the last couple of years, but it would all depend on him getting a run of games in the team and actually managing to stay fit for more than 10 games a season. He is another who normally carries a bit of beef, has he come back in shape? He could really have done with working with a PT in the off season to be raring to go.

I see there was lots more on Hatem yesterday and last night. At the end of the day, both Pardew and Hatem had an opportunity to be the bigger man at the start of pre season. Neither took it as both are as egotistical and stubborn as the other. If I were Hatem there would be no way I would be heading to Ukraine or Qatar, and as no other clubs has registered an interest, I guess he is well within his rights to waste a year of his dwindling career.

After a year and a half of hardly playing though there won’t be a queue of top clubs waiting for him, at best he will get a sideways move. Or some lower club will gamble as Bolton did with Dugarry, Campo, Djourkaeff etc under Fat Sham.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Cyprus,
    The difference being Hatem is unstoppable 1 every 10 days.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Good to see Janmaat finally done. Just hope he settles quickly, he is off until August which only gives us 17 days to get the defence organised and cohesive for the baptism of fire against City.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Cyprus…I have stopped arguing Benny. If people have made up their minds there is nothing you can really do, and like you say this on is between Benny and Pardue – they are the only ones that really knows what’s going on.

…everything else is just hear say, and I have to admit I don’t trust the club it’s spin and damage control with them and the day I listens to Pardue is the day hell freezes over!

• cyprus

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Lil,
    did note that. Still disagree. He was never given a proper run, warts and all. Think about the chances Ober was given. I know I would’ve dribbled past more players than him (it would just take once). Think about the crap games idolised Cabs had. Depression, fatigue, tantrums. Tiote, Colo, you name the player. HBA has been dealt a bad hand it would seem. And make note the spirit of Lee’s writing, not that point.

• firebug666

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:06 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Janmaat reckons he will be back training in a weeks time;

This is the last paragraph from an interview in The Northern Echo.

“To hold it in Brazil was fantastic. I am a little bit tired, it was a great experience. To beat Spain 5-1 was a special moment. I can go on vacation for a week and then I start training. We have already seen a house we like, my wife has found one already.”

• nut meg

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Lilo
    I’ve just seen a couple of interviews Eric Dier done on you tube.He comes across as a level headed & mature young man. Do you know if he has / does captain any of the teams he’s played for ? He just strikes as that kind of character for some reason.I can’t comment on him as a player because I haven’t seen him play but he does seem to have what we so badly need. I don’t think we can wait for too long to bring in a CB or two.The one guarantee we have is that Collo,Taylor & Williamson are not going to get any quicker & IMO that is where we’ll get punished.

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Cyprus,
    I do agree that HBA has been given a bad time of it by Pardew, particularly recently. But HBA has also given Pardew praise in the past as well for how he has worked with him. It is difficult to know really what has gone on within the camp but surely time has come to draw a line under the whole exercise and just part company. He isn’t in high demand at a bargain/cut price so there are obviously many who within the game that view him as being more hassle then he is worth.

On the other players, at least if they were having a shocker, which admittedly, most had plenty, you could rely on them to at least get stuck in (sometimes too much) and put a bit of effort in. Benny doesn’t do the good stuff often enough in a poor team to justify playing so many games a man down.

Another difference with the Ginola side was that in comparison, that side was better then most teams we came up against, with or without Ginola. Nowadays we aren’t so it is far harder to carry a player.

I think we have all had our say on Benny, and I doubt anyone is going to change opinion. The saddest thing of all this is that he is now likely just to sit and rot in our reserves or not as the case may be. He should be playing football. I still think Portugal is ideal for him given the style and tempo of the game. Dier for HBA?

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:18 AM

Firebug,
    Okay, that sounds good. Sensible bringing him back in (or him choosing to come in) earlier than Krul. Gives us a bit more time to get him settled.

Nut Meg,
    He captained the England Under 18’s a few times, and one of the Sporting youth teams on a number of occasions, but has never been the actual captain I don’t think, just a stand in when the main man is out.

I do agree, he seems captain material and if we got him in then he could easily be a future captain for us.

• cyprus

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:20 AM

I’ll agree with you Lil and Jesper. Time to put the HBA argument to rest 🙂

Agree to disagree then. And, anyway, no one really has all the relevant info but them two.

Now, with Benteke coming in can we really aspire to a top 2 position 😉

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:24 AM

Can one really blame not for wanting to go to Qatar or Ukraine where they have just blown down a passenger airplane?

…if it’s all about football then this is an easy choice. I among others have advocated more than once that Pardue should resign – that he is bad for this club, the fans and that he is devaluing our players, but he is still here and he won’t move!

I am holding out for Pardue to be gone before the end of the season so Benny can stay in my book – I’ll give him the benefit of a doubt. The club and Pardue are not going to get that from me.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:31 AM

As I have stated on here before imo Pardew won’t be going anywhere if we have 30 points by Christmas, this window is no different to the other two decent windows we have had, the successes will be moved on within the next couple of years and the cycle will continue.

• cyprus

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:32 AM

And, in my experience, even if somehow you could chat with them directly you would STILL hear two different stories!

• firebug666

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:33 AM

My only issue over the HBA saga is with the manager, this has nothing to do with what has gone on between them. This is to do with Pardrew not playing him when we were in desperate need of his services last season.

Before anyone say that he was over weight and unfit, Isn’t it the job of the manager and trainers to ensure players are fit and ready to play.

They get paid to do there jobs, just as Benny is being paid to play, it seem to be a case of everyone was told to wash their hands of him, as it seems nobody was willing to help him.

It seems that when we needed him most last season no was willing to push that little bit harder to get him ready to play.

• cyprus

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Qatar or Ukraine? No thanks. Roma or a sunny place in Spain, yes please.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:43 AM

HBA argument goes on …

Class act on his day but these are few and far between(to few0.

Never been the same player since he got his leg broken

• Average_Contents

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:47 AM

On the other side of the coin parsnips never been the same since his nose started to grow 😉

• Ian Toon

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Lilongwe Geordie- I seem to recall reading through past posts that when we were first linked with Emmanuel Rivière you said you thought we could do a lot better – to paraphrase. I know nothing of any substance about him and statistics can give little insight. I would welcome your opinion. I have read such diverse comments as comparisons with Remy and a quicker version of Shola.

-Where would he best be utilised
    – Can you see him as a performer with physicality in the PL.
    No rush when you have time.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 18, 2014 at 7:57 AM

There are many factors involving HBA, a major one is the fact that a player like him thrives in an attacking team playing well, but as Pardew is more fond of a 1-0 win his style is hard to accommodate and another major is as charlie says, his injury.
    I was thinking about this last night and this morning, all this talk about our business being done and money spent and nobody (to my knowledge) has mentioned that we’ll probably bring a loan striker in, afterall we had two last season.

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Ian,
    Like you, I know very little about him, but I did do a fair bit of digging on various sites, and some scouting and evaluating sites that I am still subscribed to and I still think we could have done better.

From what I have read he seems to play better just off a main centre forward, so I could see him being placed on the left. of an attacking trio if we bring in a goalscorer.

Cabella De Jong Riviere
    Goalscorer

In that sense he looks like a replacement for Remy, but nowhere near that quality. I think the comparison with Shola comes in because fans are hoping he is back up, and in that sense a Shola replacement.

I don’t think he will have too much of an issue with the physicality, he is quick, and if he plays on the left side of the attack then the physicality shouldn’t be an issue. If he played as the main centre forward then he could struggle to cope with two Premier league centre halves covering him – at least in his first season.

My main gripe initially was the fee was rumoured to be £8million. With that money being spent I couldn’t see us bringing in an out and out striker as well. With the price closer to £6million I can see us getting someone else in. As a back up option he is okay, although I still think we have overpaid but that doesn’t matter to me as long as he does the business.

To get the best out of what we have they need to bring in a striker who can play with there back to goal, bring in players making runs and hold up as well as scoring goals – tough to find at reasonable prices.

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Jail,
    Who is saying our business is done? If that were the case we are totally ill prepared for the season coming. Once again, 1 injury and we could fall apart again. It also assumes that Cabella, Riviere and De Jong will settle and adjust immediately to take over the goals lost from Cabaye and Remy which is a massive gamble. Very few players make an immediate transition.

• ethiotoon

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Why no club show interest in him then ?
    This is the first time I heard about him.
    If he is that good,he should be in BPL
    a year or so ago.
    Jail
    What exactly is ur problem on AP?

• firebug666

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:08 AM

With Riviere it’s hard to call having not seen him play before, but to be fair to the lad, he has 13 goals in 36 appearances but 14 of those appearances were from the subs bench. He is powerful and very fast according to reports and can play from the left or right of goal as well as in the centre.

Some say he plays in the style of Loic Remy, and I hope they are right. For me…. well I’m optimistic and think we might just have a decent striker on a permanent deal.

He was top scorer last season for Monaco with his 13, second was Falcao on 11 and James Rodríguez was third on 10.

On discipline he only picked up 4 yellow cards all season and no red.

All in all I think we may have a gem here.

• jimmysmith

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Why must the “cycle” continue, unless you think the profits aren’t being reinvested. Where is the evidence of this? I’ve never seen any, other than a relatively small percentage of the original over draught payment going back to the owner. The biggest criticism I could make of Newcastle in recent years is consistently failing to strengthen in a timely manner, that has been a major source of frustration considering the owners wealth, but the club apparently now has its own money to invest and if there is indeed now money to reinvest and it is invested well, in players and infrastructure as appears to be the case, then even this unwanted “cycle” is unlikely to continue.

As far as I can tell, the only obviously contentious thing about the club right now is the shirt sponsor, although granted it’s been a rough seven years.

• Mr Funk

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Who is the better option for next striker?

1. Javier Hernandez

2. Abel Hernandez

3. Vincent Aboubakar

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Ethiotoon,
    He has been linked with several of the top clubs in England. There were scouts watching him regularly last season from the Prem and Italy. I heard a rumour a while back that Man U had used their close connections with Sporting to get a first refusal on him. Not sure how true that is though.

As I said, he probably would need to be eased in, and he has already turned down joining Everton as he felt his career would only progress with first team football. As moving to one of the top clubs would more likely see him as an understudy initially then that doesn’t suit him. I can see a move to us making good sense as he will be able to play regularly ahead of Saylor or Willo, but could be given time out for them if he needs to adapt.

A big consideration for him would be Englands lack of centre halves. Playing in Sporting many England fans don’t know him, and he won’t be seen as much as other players by Hodgson and his team so making a move to a mid to upper Prem side makes sense for him now.

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Firebug,
    Let’s not forget that Falcao only played half the amount of games that Riviere played. Plus Rodriguez doesn’t play as a striker.

• Bambams

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I am happy with the signings so far however only if we are still intending to bring in a tall, powerful, commanding, goal scoring cb that we have been after for two years and a proven striker that will get 20 goals a season.

I do not think we will be after any more midfielders or wingers….. This is Ashley we are talking about.

But we are desperate for a striker and I hope they do not think Rivvy is THAT striker.

Imo

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Funk,
    Out of those three I’d have to go for Hernandez – purely because he is Prem experienced and we need someone to hit the ground running. But I would prefer someone who can hold up play and bring others in to the game which is how we can utilise our otter attacking options best. Hernandez plays too much on the shoulder to allow us to get the best of De Jong, and probably Riviere.

• Mr Funk

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Lilo,

Who would be you preferred striker that can hold up play and bring others into the game?

• firebug666

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

I agree, the information I posted is simply to point out that he got his 13 goals from just 22 starts and 14 as a sub, a lot of people didn’t want him here, but as a second striker I think he will grab plenty of goals for us. The lad just needs to be given a fare chance. With the new look midfield and if it all clicks together nicely we could have one of the best attacking teams in the prem.

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Lilongwe…we need a mobile powerful forward; that is how we get the best out of what we have!

…they don’t come cheap so I won’t hold my breath out for one 😉

Jul 18, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Otter attacking options?? Don’t set any animal cruelty activists on me!! It was just a typo! Other attacking options that should read.